ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
PC Gamers

tenor.gif

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Hermen - this does not mean all first party games need to be live service.

Hermen, please.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Still can't see this happening for tentpole titles judging from what is happening to xbox. Sony is not blind to that fact.

That has far more to do with them putting the games on Game Pass, which obviously would not be the case with PlayStation titles.

Joo

May 25, 2018
They were told to include PSN integration about six months before launch while the game was obviously in development for much longer. Please don't call me stupid and ignorant over such an inconsequential thing and one which you clearly didn't even know about. If the game was in development the entire time with PSN integration then it wouldn't have worked so easily without it. Many third parties work with Sony and continue to develop other games after, they don't all get acquired. You do not need a first party partner to survive as an indie dev. What Arrowhead does next is likely dependent on what they want to work on next
It's just an account integration. It's not like the whole game is built around something like that. It gets added at the end of dev anyway, and imo six months sounds reasonable enough that calling it interference sounds like a complete exaggeration. Doesn't mean it was handled well, because it clearly doesn't work atm like it needs to if Sony wants to do that.

What Arrowhead does next is Helldivers 2. There's not an inch of room for anything else. You think they'll just double in size with a snap of a finger and also want to change the publisher? How and why would they do that?

Many third parties work with Sony, but name one with a ten year partnership and the only relevant IP being owned by Sony? It's very different to every single third party partnership Sony has had where the developer hasn't also been acquired. It's been done for way less and Sony's first party output has been great for ages.

Arrowhead can remain independent, but independent or not, they 100% need the support when HD2 has become so big. It's already apparent that they're struggling with keeping up.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game and I have a feeling that these sales numbers will put a lot of pressure on Sony to release more of their games day 1 on PC.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Hermen - this does not mean all first party games need to be live service.

Hermen, please.

I think he knows this.

Ideally you want a few GAAS games that target different demographics and genres and then that's you set.

Like if you release a competitor to Helldivers then you don't really gain that much. If anything it makes each individual title less likely to succeed since they are all scrambling for a piece of the same pie.

So they will have:

Destiny - shooter RPG and story driven
Helldivers - PvE horde game
Marathon - battle royale/extraction shooter
Concorde - PvP hero
FairGame$ - small team objective

And honestly I think they'll stop there. Marathon and TLOU being basically in the same category is likely why only one got to survive.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know the split between PC and ps5 users?

It being $40 definitely helped lol though revenue is probably smaller than a some ps exclusives cause of it

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Amazing game and I have a feeling that these sales numbers will put a lot of pressure on Sony to release more of their games day 1 on PC.

Sony should embrace day-1 PC releases regardless how their console fans feel and react. They have the numbers demonstrating the huge difference between day-1 release compared to 24+months late ports.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely insane, one of the biggest breakout successes in a long time. Congrats to Arrowhead.

I wonder what the platform split was of this 12m.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I think he knows this.

Ideally you want a few GAAS games that target different demographics and genres and then that's you set.

Like if you release a competitor to Helldivers then you don't really gain that much. If anything it makes each individual title less likely to succeed since they are all scrambling for a piece of the same pie.

So they will have:

Concorde - PvP hero

And honestly I think they'll stop there. Marathon and TLOU being basically in the same category is likely why only one got to survive.
There's also Horizon multiplayer and stuff like that.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sony should embrace day-1 PC releases regardless how their console fans feel and react. They have the numbers demonstrating the huge difference between day-1 release compared to 24+months late ports.
anigif_optimized-9176-1428539383-9.gif

Some folks (and maybe the executives) will conclude that Helldivers 2 is an anomaly and can't be used as standard, since it's vastly different from the other Sony's offerings.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think he knows this.

So they will have:

Concorde - PvP hero

They also have GT too, which they pretend isn't a GaaS (probably because a GT8 is already planned for and in development I guess) but by every metric it is a very successful service game for Sony.

Hanzo

Dec 10, 2023
I would have never thought it would be successful, let alone beat GoW:R
That said, it's a very interesting title compared to most PS studios big games: lower priced, launch on PC, multiplayer focused game.
In fact it seems it hasn't moved many consoles despite the big numbers. Which will be, for sure, taken into consideration when planning their future strategies.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I would have never thought it would be successful, let alone beat GoW:R
That said, it's a very interesting title compared to most PS studios big games: lower priced, launch on PC, multiplayer focused game.
In fact it seems it hasn't moved many consoles despite the big numbers. Which will be, for sure, taken into consideration when planning their future strategies.
Yeah the singleplayer games are still the ones that push consoles.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I think it's less about how console fans feel and more of the fact that they have multiple consoles they want to sell lol.
Especially when their first party output is going to increase in the next couple years which will guarantee more console sales.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Releasing day one on PC as well as the lower price helped. I'm still suprised at how well this game has sold, the state of play trailers really did not impress me.

Joo

May 25, 2018
anigif_optimized-9176-1428539383-9.gif

Some folks (and maybe the executives) will conclude that Helldivers 2 is an anomaly and can't be used as standard, since it's vastly different from the other Sony's offerings.
They just need to find a good middle ground, whatever that is. They obviously still need to sell the consoles, but the way HD2 has performed feels too big to ignore as only an anomaly.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
If TLOU 3 launched on PS5 and PC at the same time, it would still significantly push consoles and the revenue from PC would make up for any minor decrease. Many PC gamers will simply never buy a console.
So you think if Nintendo releases all their games day-and-date on PC, it would only lead to a minor decrease in hardware sales as well? Since the games being singleplayer is the main factor for pushing consoles in your opinion, and not the exclusivity.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
So you think if Nintendo releases all their games day-and-date on PC, it would only lead to a minor decrease in hardware sales as well? Since the games being singleplayer is the main factor for pushing consoles in your opinion, and not the exclusivity.
Nintendo is different and you know it. Sony doesn't sell 50 million copies of one first party game and their game development costs are far higher.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
One if the biggest things people need to remember with Helldivers is that it got huge in large part because of memes and montages too
The games setting is just absolutely perfect and also hilarious enough to make tons of content for, both serious and funny

I don't see many other GaaS from Sony in the future having that perfect mix

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
One if the biggest things people need to remember with Helldivers is that it got huge in large part because of memes and montages too
The games setting is just absolutely perfect and also hilarious enough to make tons of content for, both serious and funny

Yeah, word of mouth and virality is very important for these games.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
People are still in denial but it's obviously coming. With the rise in budgets it is inevitable that they either reach a bigger audience or stop making these big ass cinematic first party games.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah, word of mouth and virality is very important for these games.
Yeah just think of the intro to the game alone
The "look familiar? Scenes like this are happening all over the galaxy..." bit alone has become a viral meme with tons and tons of video edits
The theme music has already become "iconic" too
I could go on, there are so many memes lol

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019

I'm most intrigued about FairGame$. If it has ridiculous stuff of heists going very, very wrong then it will have the same meme potential.