• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The group is made up of a bunch of developers and display manufacturers looking to standardize goals and guiding principles for optimizing HDR content in games.

Group includes:
  • Activision Publishing, Inc.
  • ASUSTek Computer Inc.
  • CAPCOM Co., Ltd.
  • Electronic Arts
  • Epic Games
  • HP Inc.
  • Koninklijke Philips N.V.
  • LG Electronics, Inc.
  • Microsoft Corporation
  • Panasonic Corporation
  • SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS Co., Ltd.
  • Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Sony Visual Products
  • SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
  • Toshiba Visual Solutions Corporation
  • Ubisoft
  • Unity
  • Vicarious Visions
  • VIZIO, Inc.
  • WB Games

Summary of principles:
1. Acknowledge difference
There is a wide variance in how HDR content is processed in HDR displays, and the assumption that "displays perform exactly the same" cannot be taken. Each display's HDR capability should be utilized to the full extent.

2. Consistent and fair gameplay
Game design creative intent (e.g. a zombie appearing from the dark, an enemy shooter silhouetted in blinding light) needs to appear the same for consistent game playability, regardless of display performance difference.

3. Forward compatible
The existing HDR game experience should not be deteriorated, but stable or even enhanced with the improvement of future HDR display performance.

4. Easy to use and practical for developers and consumers
Practical and easy-to-use means must be prepared for game developers and consumers. For example, any processing should not consume resources that may affect real-time processing, and complicated manual setup operations (e.g. in-game calibration) should be avoided.

Summary and list sourced from:
https://wccftech.com/hdr-gaming-interest-group-formed-optimize/

Full list of guiding principles here:
https://www.hgig.org/doc/ForBetterHDRGaming.pdf

Glad to see the industry is working on improving HDR implementation. It's a killer feature when supported well. Not sure I agree with avoidance of manual calibration since that often suits my display more than games that just have an on/off option but the rest sounds good.

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect. Reading about all the tweaks people have to do and all the "I can't tell if I have HDR enabled" on the threads here has me wanting to stay away a bit longer from HDR till it's finalized better.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. We are still in the wild west of hdr in games with some looking fantastic like horizon and some looking very mediocre

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
GOOD

Hopefully they can create a standard that makes logical sense and is forward thinking. Games should be mastered at 4000 nits or more - because mastering to 1000 nits is way too short sighted and doesn't take into account displays 5 or 10 years away.

The best example of HDR to date, is still Gran Turismo Sport and Horizon: Zero Dawn, I like to think we can get that sort of expertise going in all mainstream games.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Nice to see. I still think Japan is strangely miles ahead in HDR for some reason. Are there notably more HDR sets in homes there?

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I also hope there's a standard for TVs that do proper HDR that games will take advantage of. Vizio and Samsung in the list gives me hope.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking finally. Everyone make up your minds about some standard, shit is impossible to follow. Different technologies, different implementations, no calibration tools, no one knows what to really expect from an HDR game booting it up the first time

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Didn't anyone invite Nintendo
Switch don't support HDR sadly.

CeQU9WmVIAAgWFt.jpg

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
HDR is tech that has made a substantial difference in the quality of how some of my games look, but also laid bare what a cluster some of this stuff is behind scenes. I love the capability of the format, but a standardizing board like this is utterly necessary. Happening now rather than, you know, before the industry and manufacturers started marking and selling it is annoying.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
This is great. I hope to see the fruits of their labour soon. Although some of those on the list have had games with great implementation.

But yeah there are really bad ones too.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I was kind of hoping this would be a place to get some real good setting for my LGB6, SDR and HDR. I can't seem to catch a break however, this thread is doing other work so it seems OK for now!

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Great news, loving my HDR gaming but sometimes there are dud titles.

OP
OP
RoboPlato

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Really glad Epic was a part of this. UE4 getting proper tools for HDR built into the engine would be an amazing step forward.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
YES.

This is the best possible solution. HDR is smooth in the film/tv industry due to having their own committee for things like HDR. This should hopefully bring a standard in the game industry.

OP
OP
RoboPlato

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
HDR is tech that has made a substantial difference in the quality of how some of my games look, but also laid bare what a cluster some of this stuff is behind scenes. I love the capability of the format, but a standardizing board like this is utterly necessary. Happening now rather than, you know, before the industry and manufacturers started marking and selling it is annoying.
I get that but personally I'm just glad it's happening before next gen consoles hit. The Pro/X have been a test bed for HDR and reconstruction techniques and it's nice that some of the growing pains involved in those can be worked out before they're rolled out to everyone.

Last edited:

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird seeing Philips on that list, since they don't manufacture displays anymore. All displays branded as Philips are in fact MMD/TP Vision.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
HRD is a fucking mess, so there is no way to go but up I guess.

Having to calibrate my TV for each game sucks donkey balls and speaks volumes about how HDR has been bait to sell new TVs.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I get that but personally I'm just glad it's happening before next gen consoles hit. Those have been a test bed for HDR and reconstruction techniques and it's nice that some of the growing pains involved in those can be worked out before they're rolled out to everyone.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. And actually aside from a new TV purchase that I might have made anyway, HDR on PS4 has been a "freebie" anyway, since even launch systems support it.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
complicated manual setup operations (e.g. in-game calibration) should be avoided.
What on earth, how do they intend to take advantage of varying displays and deliver decent HDR without any calibration settings. All the games with bad HDR I've experience don't have any calibration settings, all the games with good HDR do. It's not a coincidence

MattXIII

Oct 28, 2017
Prelude to next-gen?

Hopefully they set a solid standard for all next-gen titles to follow.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Complete opposite for me for sure. GT Sport, FFXV, TLG, RE7, etc. Nothing I've seen from the West has been of comparable quality. I haven't played Detroit however.
Ah, other than FFXV I haven't played any of those. That would be why.

Horizon, God of War, Assassins Creed Origins, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Homefront: The Revolution (this one is kind of shocking) are my top games.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Complete opposite for me for sure. GT Sport, FFXV, TLG, RE7, etc. Nothing I've seen from the West has been of comparable quality. I haven't played Detroit however.

I got those all on my good list. From the west Horizon, God of War, No Man's Sky, Hellblade, Wipeout Omega, Shadow of the Colossus, Resogun, Nex Machina, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous First Light/SS, Uncharted 4/LL, The Last of Us and soon Spider-Man.

My shit list - Witcher 3, MHW and Crash Bandicoot.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Good to see this, hopefully there will be less HDR issues going forward, at least in a games design anyway. Obviously they can't do much about all the different spec TV's.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Funny that Microsoft is in there when they can't even support HDR in their first party games on PC. I think Forza 7 is the only one.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Ah, other than FFXV I haven't played any of those. That would be why.

Horizon, God of War, Assassins Creed Origins, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Homefront: The Revolution (this one is kind of shocking) are my top games.
Played those other than RotTR, which I've played, but not in HDR. I'll pick it up next time it's on sale. I imagine it's probably the best looking XBX game anyway, so I really should check it out.