FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I took a look at the Resident Evil 4 remake demo. Previous games have had kinda poor HDR settings in the sense that following the instructions often didn't give you your displays proper nit brightness in game. This is my first time doing this so consider it very basic. I started by taking several HDR screenshots at various points throughout the demo using a fixed HDR setting in various states of scene brightness in the demo and was able to determine through that a consistent value for the brightest highlight. After that I found a spot that gave that value and proceeded to take HDR screenshots of it using each of the 21 points you can set using the Max Brightness slider. Then using the HDR + WCG Image Viewer I was able to measure the peak nit brightness of each screenshot.

jrjITNH.png

1Tfld8Z.png

Going through each of the 21 captures I was able to produce this chart:

ltnJPSu.jpg

I did this out of my own curiosity and impatience, hopefully it'll be useful to anyone!
Nice work! RE Village has very similar results
www.hdrgamer.com

Resident Evil Village - PS4/PS5 HDR Settings

Resident Evil Village HDR analysis and HDR settings recommendations

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
www.hdrgamer.com

Oh hey, you're right! It looks like the numbers are rounded down in that list but otherwise looks like it's the same! I wonder if that's just the universal values for the new version of RE engine? If so, I wonder if RE2, 3 and 7 after the raytracing update also use them as well. Think I'm going to go check that right now!

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I finished testing RE2, RE3 and RE7 to see if the new raytracing update has changed things and the results are interesting. First off they do not have the same values of Village and RE4 remake, so there goes there being a uniform at least with just the updated RE Engine. One neat thing is RE2 remake and RE3 remake have the same exact values! RE7 especially took a long time to do as it has a whopping 39 different values and each require you to manually adjust the midpoint along with them.

RE2 and RE3 remake:

hUq3Krc.jpg

RE7:

5j0IHqM.jpg

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
www.hdrgamer.com

Thanks for pointing out that HDR is now fixed! Thank goodness for that.

I finished testing RE2, RE3 and RE7 to see if the new raytracing update has changed things and the results are interesting. First off they do not have the same values of Village and RE4 remake, so there goes there being a uniform at least with just the updated RE Engine. One neat thing is RE2 remake and RE3 remake have the same exact values! RE7 especially took a long time to do as it has a whopping 39 different values and each require you to manually adjust the midpoint along with them.

RE2 and RE3 remake:

hUq3Krc.jpg

RE7:

5j0IHqM.jpg
Really appreciate both yours and futurabold's efforts. For me its invaluable, especially now I'm with a 3k nit TV. Not only is it useful in general, but when sliders frequently vary from actual in game, it really does help me. Please keep them coming. šŸ˜Š

I can also confirm that certainly revisiting RE2, your readings make sense. I can tell setting 4 is better than 5 for me as anything over 2950 nit is going to tone map on my Sony LCD. And with RE2 it looks just that touch better refined staying at 2900nit and avoiding tone mapping. I find the main hall with the lamps a good place to test.

Thanks again.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I took a look at the Resident Evil 4 remake demo. Previous games have had kinda poor HDR settings in the sense that following the instructions often didn't give you your displays proper nit brightness in game. This is my first time doing this so consider it very basic. I started by taking several HDR screenshots at various points throughout the demo using a fixed HDR setting in various states of scene brightness in the demo and was able to determine through that a consistent value for the brightest highlight. After that I found a spot that gave that value and proceeded to take HDR screenshots of it using each of the 21 points you can set using the Max Brightness slider. Then using the HDR + WCG Image Viewer I was able to measure the peak nit brightness of each screenshot.

jrjITNH.png

1Tfld8Z.png

ltnJPSu.jpg

I did this out of my own curiosity and impatience, hopefully it'll be useful to anyone!
Is this the PC version? It seems there are differences between PC and console:

View: https://youtu.be/JnkfMPcfx8M

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017

jrjITNH.png

1Tfld8Z.png

ltnJPSu.jpg

That's for the PC version right?

Edit: It is, good job, your results are consistent with Gamingtech.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
What are the best settings for the RE4 demo, if I have a OLED Sony A90j, tone mapping gradation on?

The image is washed out, nothing like Village. SDR is better looking for the demo. All games I played on PS5 are good with default values.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
What are the best settings for the RE4 demo, if I have a OLED Sony A90j, tone mapping gradation on?

The image is washed out, nothing like Village. SDR is better looking for the demo. All games I played on PS5 are good with default values.
First screen 5-6 clicks to the left from the middle, second screen in the middle. I have the same TV and it looks good to me then. SDR is still a bit more contrasty, but the HDR highlights are worth it.

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
On my Z9J if you need a touch more perceived contrast, less washed out appearance. You can either drop Black level to 49 or set Black Adjust to low. I'd try to avoid using ACE. Though for me, I'm not having to apply anything with RE4 demo.... But those tips might be worth trying on the A90J.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
On my Z9J if you need a touch more perceived contrast, less washed out appearance. You can either drop Black level to 49 or set Black Adjust to low. I'd try to avoid using ACE. Though for me, I'm not having to apply anything with RE4 demo.... But those tips might be worth trying on the A90J.
Ah yes I have black level set to 48 even, forgot to mention.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished testing RE4 on console and safe to say I'm confused. Outside of some small differences in a few of the categories, I got the same general output that I did on PC. This is totally different from GamingTech's results. I trust GamingTech as he has more experience, so definitely go with his findings. I'm just wondering why I'm getting similar results if the system level calibration isn't being used.

tvZ1cxM.jpg

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
So I finished testing RE4 on console and safe to say I'm confused. Outside of some small differences in a few of the categories, I got the same general output that I did on PC. This is totally different from GamingTech's results. I trust GamingTech as he has more experience, so definitely go with his findings. I'm just wondering why I'm getting similar results if the system level calibration isn't being used.

tvZ1cxM.jpg
So, I echo your findings in terms of what the in game slider shows in relation to your in game findings on PS5. Whilst I dont have a light meter I do know where my TV peak brightness rolls off. And I can disable tone mapping to show that with in game calibration screens. Without looking at anyone's readings or watching Gaming Tech's video I had already set the PS5 to 8 clicks. Which your readings suggest is 3k nit. Which is correct for my Z9J.

TechnoZen

Nov 29, 2021
I will try to explain to you the ins and outs of peak brightness analysis in HDR games. An HDR video source has 3 parameters: MaxCL, MaxFall and master monitor brightness. When you adjust the game's peak brightness settings, you're not setting MaxCL, but the brightness of the master monitor. That is, the values of MaxCL and the brightness of the master monitor may not be equal (and often they are). The brightness of the master monitor is the maximum brightness of your TV in tone mapping off mode, above which all brightness should be cut off. But this does not mean that the value in the game will not rise above this brightness.
That is, if you run, for example, in GOW Ragnarok using the system settings, the peak brightness is, say, 1500 nits, you may find that when you enter, for example, the portal, the peak brightness jumps to 10k nits. Peak brightness often jumps into overlimit. Why this is happening, you need to ask game developers. I just want to say that the analysis process is somewhat more complicated. I hope I didn't confuse you even more.
39kxF70.png

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I will try to explain to you the ins and outs of peak brightness analysis in HDR games. An HDR video source has 3 parameters: MaxCL, MaxFall and master monitor brightness. When you adjust the game's peak brightness settings, you're not setting MaxCL, but the brightness of the master monitor. That is, the values of MaxCL and the brightness of the master monitor may not be equal (and often they are). The brightness of the master monitor is the maximum brightness of your TV in tone mapping off mode, above which all brightness should be cut off. But this does not mean that the value in the game will not rise above this brightness.
That is, if you run, for example, in GOW Ragnarok using the system settings, the peak brightness is, say, 1500 nits, you may find that when you enter, for example, the portal, the peak brightness jumps to 10k nits. Peak brightness often jumps into overlimit. Why this is happening, you need to ask game developers. I just want to say that the analysis process is somewhat more complicated. I hope I didn't confuse you even more.
39kxF70.png
Interesting. It looks similar to some of the data found with HDR movies. I can get that data sometimes from UHD discs using a Panny UHD player. Btw apologies, but my thanks should have also been aimed at you earlier ref RE8 HDR update work. So thank you for your work as always. šŸ˜Š

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
39kxF70.png

Thank you. I don't know a lot, and just wanted to see if I could provide help to myself and others with my limited acknowledge. So the difference in my results from GamingTech down to the capabilities of my LG CX then?

TechnoZen

Nov 29, 2021
Thank you. I don't know a lot, and just wanted to see if I could provide help to myself and others with my limited acknowledge. So the difference in my results from GamingTech down to the capabilities of my LG CX then?
I think you and GamingTech just measured different game scenes. As I wrote above, the peak brightness in games sometimes jumps above the set limit, because of this there may be an mistake. I don't have the opportunity to test the PC version. But I think it's worth starting by measuring the brightness of the test square on the settings screen. I do not think that the values will be different for both platforms.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Call me crazy but I believe todays Callisto Protocol update improves the HDR controls. I think it a lot more granular.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Call me crazy but I believe todays Callisto Protocol update improves the HDR controls. I think it a lot more granular.
Yes!
Finally, it's much better now.
You want to use both settings sparingly, but you can take the black point down about half way without crushing too much in the way of black detail in the very darkest areas.
If you don't feel then need to drop it lower then don't, because that type of adjustment does damage shadow detail.

The brightness setting is an exposure adjustment this makes rebutting lighter or darker.

You could actually drop this lower and reduce the black point less - preserving more detail both in highlights and shadow. This will certainly have more typical cinematic look, likely closer to the game in SDR.

HighDrama

Jan 17, 2023

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, you will start wiping out black detail the moment you start dropping that back.
If you look at the calibration image and increase all o

Resident Evil 4 has the same mode unlocked by default šŸ¤®
Yeah. Looks like Black Crush is in this year. At least with RE4 it seems to be an issue only in SDR.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I meanā€¦in horror games I do not want to see much detail in dark areas, it should be nice and dark and contrasty on my OLED. If I am looking into a dark hallway, I expect to see pure darkness in the unlit areas. If that means "crushed blacks" to you, OK. Different tastes I guess. I cannot stand elevated blacks in horror games, it looks like I am playing on a cheap LCD.

Edit: to clarify: I also try to find a good middle way and try to crush as little detail as possible, but general contrast of the whole picture is more relevant to me than seeing every little detail in every dark spot.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I meanā€¦in horror games I do not want to see much detail in dark areas, it should be nice and dark and contrasty on my OLED. If I am looking into a dark hallway, I expect to see pure darkness in the unlit areas. If that means "crushed blacks" to you, OK. Different tastes I guess. I cannot stand elevated blacks in horror games, it looks like I am playing on a cheap LCD.

Edit: to clarify: I also try to find a good middle way and try to crush as little detail as possible, but general contrast of the whole picture is more relevant to me than seeing every little detail in every dark spot.

I agree with the idea of dark being dark in horror games but RE4's black crush is still a detriment to detail. Seeing the way the black fills in on Leon's jacket in the woods at the start and how it's crushed (watch around his right arm pit) doesn't even look like a convincing shadow, it just looks like a morphing blob of pure black mass.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The different image modes in game mode on the LG C1 are truly a godsend for HDR games. I use them to incrementally increase 'adjust dark areas' for games with elevated black levels.

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but I highly recommend everyone with an OLED to use one of these calibration videos for black levels to see if you need to set your brightness to 49, 51 or anything around 50. On my previous set (B8) the default 50 didn't have true blacks, and on my current C1 there is no black raise at 50, but I can lower it all the way down to 47 before I notice a difference in the next step.

Here's one for HDR
www.youtube.com

Black Clipping 4k UHD HDR 10 Calibration

playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNtyx1Z3xGr4mfR8I_Ll2GH0mXmgHDNKGUHD 4K HDR 10 Black Clipping from the Diversified video solutions website. ...
And for SDR
www.youtube.com

AVS HD 709 Brightness Calibration

AVS HD 709 Black Clipping Brightness CalibrationHow to use: https://www.missingremote.com/guide/display-calibration-part-ihttp://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...

If you have one of the newer LG OLEDs with the different gaming profiles, I also highly recommend setting it up the way I described above, it saves a lot of hassle when trying to get that perfect balance of not too much black crush and no elevated blacks. Honestly I'd rather have slight black crush than elevated black levels.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
It's just as bad in HDR (certainly on the Xbox Demo)
Interesting. I guess this confirms what I though: RE Engine operates internally with sRGB gamma instead of 2.4, thous on PC those games have the same shadow over brightening issue as SDR content viewed in HDR container. What's odd is that unlike, say, CP2077, instead of simply making shadows brighter, it actually unclamps shadow detail. It's almost impossible to crush shadows in RE4 demo in HDR on PC using in game settings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting. I guess this confirms what I though: RE Engine operates internally with sRGB gamma instead of 2.4, thous on PC those games have the same shadow over brightening issue as SDR content viewed in HDR container. What's odd is that unlike, say, CP2077, instead of simply making shadows brighter, it actually unclamps shadow detail. It's almost impossible to crush shadows in RE4 demo in HDR on PC using in game settings.

It looks like the black point is in the wrong place tbh, rather than the power curve being of a more contrasty flavour . It's pretty extreme, but perhaps something console/Xbox specific in terms of setup.

It's quite the departure from the look of the previous titles

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like the black point is in the wrong place tbh, rather than the power curve being of a more contrasty flavour . It's pretty extreme, but perhaps something console/Xbox specific in terms of setup.

It's quite the departure from the look of the previous titles
I dunno. Black clipping is pretty bad in SDR if you follow in game calibration. It's gone in HDR, but if I apply my sRGB "fix" (raising contrast in NV control panel to 70) clipping is back. If I'm right, then Xbox actually is displaying the game as intended while PC is not.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
Understand it's a beta but the HDR in Diablo 4 looks wrong. Raised blacks like crazy, everything that I think is supposed to be black is milky grey. Am I wrong?

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
No reports are that it is broken and you need to change your TV settings to make it look good.

us.forums.blizzard.com

Incorrect HDR black levels

Hi, With PS5ā€™s HDR being set to ā€˜on when supportedā€™ and TVā€™s HDMI black levels set to auto, when I launch D4 all blacks are gray. Iā€™m having to set the TV to low black levels or turn of HDR to have black colour being black. This is even before I log into the game and get access to...

here's three reports

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Understand it's a beta but the HDR in Diablo 4 looks wrong. Raised blacks like crazy, everything that I think is supposed to be black is milky grey. Am I wrong?

No reports are that it is broken and you need to change your TV settings to make it look good.
That one person that says the game operates with incorrect black levels seems to be spot on, same thing happens with RDR2 on Windows at least, if you folks play on PC you can use PD80_03_Curved_Levels.fx via reshade to fix it, assuming the game allows injection that is.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all speaking of crazy black crush - what the heck are solid settings for LA Noire? I went back to that game to replay it on PS5 and my goodness, it's so dark I don't really know what's going on sometimes. C1, nothing crazy - DTM I guess? Any suggestions on that brightness slider?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding NFS Unbound, anyone notice a difference after the latest patch? I understand the game suffers from lower brightness after the intro. Curious if it is fixed.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Y'all speaking of crazy black crush - what the heck are solid settings for LA Noire? I went back to that game to replay it on PS5 and my goodness, it's so dark I don't really know what's going on sometimes. C1, nothing crazy - DTM I guess? Any suggestions on that brightness slider?
iirc the HDR implementation in the L.A. Noire remaster was completely busted, there's no fixing it really. You should play it in SDR.

Oct 25, 2017
On the Dolby website I'm seeing a lot of games listed as having Dolby Vision that I'm pretty sure didn't the last time I looked.

MWII, Elder Scrolls Online, Far Cry 6, Fallen Order, and others have DV listed on Xbox. Division 2 says it for PC.

These must be a new native update right? If it was the normal Auto-DV the Xbox does you would think all games would be listed.

Any idea EvilBoris?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
On the Dolby website I'm seeing a lot of games listed as having Dolby Vision that I'm pretty sure didn't the last time I looked.

MWII, Elder Scrolls Online, Far Cry 6, Fallen Order, and others have DV listed on Xbox. Division 2 says it for PC.

These must be a new native update right? If it was the normal Auto-DV the Xbox does you would think all games would be listed.

Any idea EvilBoris?

The only game I've seen that actually uses a Dolby internal tone mapper was Halo Infinite.
I couldn't easily spot any others doing it - maybe BF2042

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
EvilBoris I feel like I'm going crazy but has The Callisto Protocol reverted back to having raised black levels since the latest update?

Adjusting the sliders either way makes no perceivable difference.

I'm on PS5 with update 1.015.000

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
Another nightmare comparison for how badly my C8 handles some red/yellow/white content. God of War '18 is one of the worst offenders. Fire and lava look abhorrent, and are utterly overwhelmed by red saturation. It's extremely noticeable on the Blades of Chaos flames (They're just bright red, nothing else, no tonal depth) and lava, which is always a big red blob. Here's an example of the latter SDR vs HDR (offscreen).

untitled-1bij3b.jpg

If I was in a better spot financially I'd see if I could hock the C8 for a C1 or something. It'd be a good second hand buy; I've used it very little, relatively speaking, over the last three years.
just wondering if you ever found a fix for this issue. My CX exhibits the exact same problem. Fire effects in games are way overblown with red, it's really distracting

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
just wondering if you ever found a fix for this issue. My CX exhibits the exact same problem. Fire effects in games are way overblown with red, it's really distracting

Nada. From my digging and asking around it seems to be entirely a factor of the panel, the processing software inside the display, how it interprets the signal coming from hardware, and the complicated absence of standards with HDR. I can't vouch for anything to do with the CX, but it seems like every C8 has this.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Another nightmare comparison for how badly my C8 handles some red/yellow/white content. God of War '18 is one of the worst offenders. Fire and lava look abhorrent, and are utterly overwhelmed by red saturation. It's extremely noticeable on the Blades of Chaos flames (They're just bright red, nothing else, no tonal depth) and lava, which is always a big red blob. Here's an example of the latter SDR vs HDR (offscreen).

untitled-1bij3b.jpg

If I was in a better spot financially I'd see if I could hock the C8 for a C1 or something. It'd be a good second hand buy; I've used it very little, relatively speaking, over the last three years.
The game itself isn't made very well - the tonemappers used are poor and it results in many colour error like that.
The game looks off in many situations in HDR.

Like most of those cinematic titles, it will have been 100% made and judged with SDR in mind, there is probably a single graphics engineer responsible for "turning on" HDR - Perhaps without the testing facilities and knowledge of the rest of the image pipeline to validate their results.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The game itself isn't made very well - the tonemappers used are poor and it results in many colour error like that.
The game looks off in many situations in HDR.

Like most of those cinematic titles, it will have been 100% made and judged with SDR in mind, there is probably a single graphics engineer responsible for "turning on" HDR - Perhaps without the testing facilities and knowledge of the rest of the image pipeline to validate their results.

Yeah, that seems to be part of the problem too. I mainly highlight the panel/processing thing as it's not limited to God of War '18; it includes a large volume of other HDR games, and HDR movies. And the issue, despite the games being poorly made for HDR, aren't replicated on some other panels (including LGs own). For the digging/asking I did elsewhere months ago this 'issue' seemed to be more prevalent on older LG OLED panels, and might be something they resolved or compensated for in the panel/software of newer displays.

It could be just the games, but yeah. Some HDR blurays have the same issue, oversaturated reds. Some games have the same issues, oversaturated reds replacing yellows. It's weird and inconsistent.