OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So which would be the best on a CX for a game like Uncharted 4, DTM Off or changing the MaxCLL amount, and would this also apply to the PC version when it comes or does the PC platform handle HDR different?
I'd de tempted to set the maxCLL to like 2000nits and turn DTM off and just use that when in doubt

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Never noticed this, but in Windows you can use Xbox Game Bar under settings > gaming features to adjust the Auto HDR intensity (don't think they let you do that on the Xbox version of AutoHDR that I saw). I've found it works pretty nicely in some games. Others not so much. But good feature nonetheless to play around with. I personally think it looks good in Tomb Raider (the "first" one) - just need to adjust brightness down a bit in game or it looks a little washed out.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Shut off HGiG while playing BF4 on Series X. Really lowers the peak brightness with it off, surprised by the difference.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'd de tempted to set the maxCLL to like 2000nits and turn DTM off and just use that when in doubt
So would a game set to 740 nits peak look the same in both hgig and dtm off 740 maxCLL?

BF V 800 nits Hgig vs 2000 nits 2000 maxCLL,the game caps at 2000 nits, and the 2000 nits looks better to me

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

I thought non-HGiG games don't even take into account the console setting - or are you talking about setting maxCLL somewhere else?

Edit: just saw the part about the hidden menu. Interesting. Any dangers from using this?

Edit 2: tried it in Uncharted and there is no change in picture when changing maxCLL to any setting. Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited:

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Shut off HGiG while playing BF4 on Series X. Really lowers the peak brightness with it off, surprised by the difference.
Battlefield 4? Yeah for AutoHDR games it's pretty much a requirement to use DTM OFF on OLED ... otherwise games are blasting 1000 nits while display is only outputting 650-800 so you just clipping details( and burning your retinas by toxic white UI elements and text lol )

Not sure why Microsoft does not bring AutoHDR intensity adjustment slider to console ( goes from 0-100 and 100 ~= 1000nits, so for OLED you want to set that to 65-70 and it looks fantastic with HGiG On, even text is tolerable that way.. if not then you can lower it a bit further to balance the image a bit more )... it works great on PC.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Ty. God of war looks really good when you turn dtm off and 10k nits tonemapping.

I tried setting dtm to off on my C1 (in both God of War and Uncharted on PS5), then going into the 1113111 menu and changing the values, there is literally is no change to the picture. I tried it in really bright and really dark scenes, and in between. I tried changing all the settings that have nit values - nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong? Is this PC only?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I tried setting dtm to off on my C1 (in both God of War and Uncharted on PS5), then going into the 1113111 menu and changing the values, there is literally is no change to the picture. I tried it in really bright and really dark scenes, and in between. I tried changing all the settings that have nit values - nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong? Is this PC only?
Thats all I did, and the test in battlefield clearly changes. 10k maxCLL and maxing the slider doesn't produce the same white, but 2k maxCLL and maxing the slider does, like 800 and hgig.

I have a CX

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Thats all I did, and the test in battlefield clearly changes. 10k maxCLL and maxing the slider doesn't produce the same white, but 2k maxCLL and maxing the slider does, like 800 and hgig.

I have a CX

Oh, you maxed out the slider, I have skipped that part. I will try again.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Latest Cyberpunk 2077 (huge) 1.5 patch is GREAT.
The game is finally optimized for current-gen consoles and in-game HDR also had important improvements which led me to totally re-tweak its in-game settings as of below:

Cyberpunk 2077 In-Game HDR Settings (Post 1.5 Patch):
  • Peak HDR Luminance: 1.500 nits (Max) if you use Dynamic Contrast or DTM; 800 nits if you use HGIG;
  • Paper White: 300 nits (Defaut) if you use Dynamic Contrast or DTM; 150 if you use HGIG;
  • Mid Tone: 1.60;
  • BONUS: Disable both Film Grain and Chromatic Aberration from graphics option. They just make PQ more dirty.
This is the best combo I found after 1 hour of testing both in day and night time.

Enjoy ;)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020
The game is finally optimized for current-gen consoles and in-game HDR also had important improvements which led me to totally re-tweak its in-game settings as of below:

• Peak HDR Luminance: 1.500 nits (Max) if you use Dynamic Contrast or DTM; 800 nits if you use HGIG;
  • Paper White: 300 nits (Defaut);
  • BONUS: Disable both Film Grain and Chromatic Aberration from graphics option. They just make PQ more dirty.
This is the best combo I found after 1 hour of testing both in day and night time.

Enjoy ;)

Thanks for this! Can't wait to (finally!) delve into Cyberpunk and see how it looks on my LGCX.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions for Returnal? It just does not look correct.
Returnal uses the PS5 calibration screen so whatever you have set there is where it's getting its values. There's an in-game brightness setting which acts as a paperwhite setting so you can tweak it a bit. I thought Returnal looked great in HDR though so I'm not sure what issues you're seeing.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Enjoy ;)

Turning off chromatic aberration and film grain cleans up the image but at a cost to how realistic it looks. Guess it's a matter of preference.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oh man, I hope they fixed the black floor or at least give you the means to adjust it with those HDR calibration settings for Cyberpunk

Cyberpunk 2077
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I need to spend some more time looking at it, but some of the bugs in relation to how the HDR seem to have been fixed.
You can read some of my observations of how it was here

The key setting is the mid point adjustment - which behaves much like the "brightness" or gamma option in other games. Adjust to your taste /room brightness.
Personally I found the default 2 to be a little bit too bright - as most of the emissive assets don't appear to have many physically based properties and are always super bright.

I don't think there is a so much of a need to turn off grain and CA now: the overall resolution appears much better now , whereas before they were also running at the reduced resolution making it blurrier.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I need to spend some more time looking at it, but some of the bugs in relation to how the HDR seem to have been fixed.
You can read some of my observations of how it was here

The key setting is the mid point adjustment - which behaves much like the "brightness" or gamma option in other games. Adjust to your taste /room brightness.
Personally I found the default 2 to be a little bit too bright - as most of the emissive assets don't appear to have many physically based properties and are always super bright.

I don't think there is a so much of a need to turn off grain and CA now: the overall resolution appears much better now , whereas before they were also running at the reduced resolution making it blurrier.

I can confirm it's working better. With LG OLED I'm using 800 Paper White 100 and Mid-Point 1.0.

I have to confess that Ray-Tracing mode is excellent for story beats, and you can always switch to 60fps for combat.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh man, I hope they fixed the black floor or at least give you the means to adjust it with those HDR calibration settings for Cyberpunk
It's much the same in that regard, although a cursory look at previous problem areas shows that colour grading /lut maths have been fixed in some places , which I have no doubt will have made things worse previously.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can confirm it's working better. With LG OLED I'm using 800 Paper White 100 and Mid-Point 1.0.

I have to confess that Ray-Tracing mode is excellent for story beats, and you can always switch to 60fps for combat.
I don't think halving the frame rate for ray traced shadows on some objects is worth it. 30fps felt super bad to me here

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Enjoy ;)
I understand 1500 nits as it's max When use dtm. But 300 paper white ?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Having the HUD at 300 just takes away voltage and brightness from places that actually need it. You want it as low as you are comfortable with

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
300 is definitely too bright on my CX.

Same, there's absolutely zero reason to keep it at 300. It's bright enough at 100 that it doesn't make any sense to leave it at 300 at all.

Having the HUD at 300 just takes away voltage and brightness from places that actually need it. You want it as low as you are comfortable with

300 is scarring my eyeballs on my C1. Definitely depends on your TV and settings.
Well, this may actually depend by which settings you're using.
With regular HDR Game preset with DTM: Off is fine for me, but if you find it super bright when using HGIG yeah, you may try halfing it around 150.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
With regular HDR Game preset with DTM: Off is fine for me, but if you find it super bright when using HGIG yeah, you may try halfing it around 150.

It matters if you're using a 7/8 series without HGiG.

Using DTM OFF is your only option, which means you're forced to comply with LG's 4,000 nit metadata tone-mapping, and thus you can't really recommend settings for those with the 2019-2021 models reliably.

9 series and up you can create custom tone-mapping curves through Calman. You cannot do that on the 7/8 models, which means you're always at the mercy of the tone-mapping curve for 4,000 nits which rolls off at 60% of 700 nits, I believe.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
No.
Having elements on screen that are 300nit values all the time are not going to help anything
It matters if you're using a 7/8 series without HGiG.

Using DTM OFF is your only option, which means you're forced to comply with LG's 4,000 nit metadata tone-mapping, and thus you can't really recommend settings for those with the 2019-2021 models reliably.

9 series and up you can create custom tone-mapping curves through Calman. You cannot do that on the 7/8 models, which means you're always at the mercy of the tone-mapping curve for 4,000 nits which rolls off at 60% of 700 nits, I believe.
Which means everything under 420nits is still correct :p

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Im really happy I waited to play Cyberpunk because it looks pretty awesome on Series X.
HDR is a very punchy and it appears WCG is supported.

Settings for my E9
  • Peak HDR Luminance: 800 nits (HGIG)
  • Paper White: 120 nits (SDR level for UI)
  • Mid Tone: 1.50

Somniac

Banned
Oct 10, 2021
Dope thread! I never really understood the tech behind HDR or the results one would hope to get from it so this was very eye opening

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think halving the frame rate for ray traced shadows on some objects is worth it. 30fps felt super bad to me here
I felt the same, but I'm curious if this help you here like it did me. I turned on "advanced controls" under the response curve setting and set all of those values to 0. Before doing that, everything felt terrible to move, sluggish. Setting them to zero made the RT mode feel way better to me.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
No.
Having elements on screen that are 300nit values all the time are not going to help anything

By settings I meant by which tone mapping curve is actually used (DTM On/Off = 4.000 nits, HGIG = 800 nits) and with HGIG: Off 150 nits is very dim so this explains the default 300.
For HGIG: On I edited my post and you're right: halfing it to 150 at max is better.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
So HDR is working properly in cp now? The washed out blacks are gone? Or should I just use auto HDR (I am on pc)

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Any recommendations for Horizon Forbidden West. There are options for brightness, shadows, and highlights. I feel like brightness should be lowered at least a bit but maybe it was just too much for my tired eyes last night. Shadows and highlights I don't feel I should mess with.

Also for some reason disabling HDR in the game options doesn't actually stop the ps5 from sending an HDR signal it just seems to cap the brightness. You have to turn it off in the system settings.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

Apparently Horizon doesn't support the HDR calibration menu on the PS5

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Using DTM on my C1 his settings look good to me.
Not sure I agree with lowering highlights. Lowering highlights seems to mess with the contrast and everything still looks way too bright and blown out especially vegetation. I'm getting better contrast and less clipping just lowering brightness more. Maybe it depends on the tv.

TechnoZen

Nov 29, 2021
Well, my quick look at the HFW HDR settings (guide is not ready yet). I see several problems:
1. Peak brightness the brightest sources (Sun, fire and etc) controled to the Highlight and the Brightness of the parameters simultaneously.
2. The Brightness parameter, in addition to the peak brightness and the overall exposition of the frame, also defines the brightness of the user interface. Text brightness 100 nit is an approximately value brightness from -1 to 0.
3. The Shadows parameter determines the black level (preliminary conclusion: do not touch it).
4. The final peak brightness that you set with Highlight and which you see on the test image does not always match to peak brightness in the real game of the brightest light sources. I am not surprised that in many games the brightness of some sources leaves overlight for the brightness limit of your TV (for example, in Uncharted 4 to 10,000 nit). But here the brightness of sometimes very large areas can go beyond the brightness limit, because of this you can lose the visibility of details around the light source.
I will analyze in detail later.

Last edited:

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Well, my quick look at the HFW HDR settings (guide is not ready yet). I see several problems:
1. Peak brightness the brightest sources (Sun and etc) controled to the Highlight and the Brightness of the parameters simultaneously.
2. The Brightness parameter, in addition to the peak brightness and the overall exposition of the frame, also defines the brightness of the user interface. Text brightness 100 nit is an approximately value brightness from -1 to +1.
3. The Shadows parameter determines the black level (preliminary conclusion: do not touch it).
4. The final peak brightness that you set with Highlight and which you see on the test image does not correspond to peak brightness in the real game of the brightest light sources. I am not surprised that in many games the brightness of some sources leaves overlight for the brightness limit of your TV (for example, in Uncharted 4 to 10,000 nit). But here the brightness of sometimes very large areas can go beyond the brightness limit, because of this you can lose the visibility of details around the light source.
I will analyze in detail later.
Interesting. I'm turning HDR off for now and not worrying about it. I'll go crazy trying to figure out the settings lol.