XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished it last night. Didn't have much expectations, but it easily exceeded them. Definitely a must watch. As a fan of the graphic novel I found it a worthy companion.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
the hooded justice episode is arguably one of the best superhero stories i've seen on film or television ever. I really want more stories like this, both fantastical and grounded in reality that confront the white supremacy and systemic racism embedded amongst all institutions. its needed now more than ever. and it can be done better.

did not like the finale though. a vastly interesting miniseries that just capped off with a kinda dull and conventional final episode. it is very much worth watching despite that however.

the Hooded Justice ep feels like something Jordan Peele could've written. It's brilliant.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
aw fuck I will be playing TLoU2. noooo

Watchmen takes up much less time though and honestly, I find it hard to believe TLOU2 can tackle some of the themes about violence, anger, revenge, justice and societal response to a cataclysmic event better than some of the episodes in this series. It's quite ok point about current anxieties. I was more into it more for the pure emotions than the plot.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommended. Really fantastic show beginning to end and having rewatched it recently, it's so much nicer being able to watch episodes back-to-back instead of waiting a week.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Watch this show. If not the best show in recent memory, it certainly is the best thing HBO have put out for a while.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Tulsa stuff is cool, but this is a series who has a black protagonist who's entire social circle is comprised of white people, her white children [rest is spoilers...]
and a husband who is a white demigod pretending to be a black man. Additionally, the main villain of the story is a person of color saying "fuck this racist ass world."

Let's not get too crazy.

This is a show for adults who were impressed by the race metaphor in Zootopia.

hahahah. I enjoyed the show.. but yeah.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think the show is a lot worse in a post-George Floyd world. It's good that it showed the Tulsa massacre, but it's very much like a lot of copaganda out there and Lindelof's ideas of a liberal run USA are lame, especially now when so many cops cry about being under siege.
The idea of the liberal run USA were poorly executed when trying to use it as a direct allegory for how that would look in America today or extending some of the ideas to their natural conclusion, but I think that is was paying respect to Moore's original comic continuity with Robert Redford being elected to office and spending more than 2 terms in office. Also, they wanted a reason for Veidt to have a key role in the show, so him being a liberal with a plot in the original comic that could be seen as him creating his own lberal utopia, I could see why they went the direction in the show that they did (I haven't read the original graphic novel to be fair, only have seen the motion comic and the movie and read discussion about the graphic novel and elements in it that aren't contained in either other media but have evidently been referenced by the show). But yeah, being able to have a plot that creates a liberal "deep state" that attempts to control narratives to have a liberal president reigning for years is clunky, and there are lots of ideas that are clunky or problematic when trying to extrapolate ideas from this alternative universe to ours in 1:1 direct allegory (like much fiction I can think of, unfortunately), but while I would have liked them to explore some themes deeper and find a better way to tie those themes to the plot, I think how deep and relevant it manages to express and explore some of it's themes, it does deserve a lot of credit, even if it should have gone further.

I think looking back, writing and shooting the Veidt stuff first due to scheduling and timing constraints and then building the show around that side plot ultimately hurt what the show could have been. The show could have done more with more episodes, but I think trying to tie it into Veidt and other original characters felt like weakpoints for the show in some ways rather than strengths. The original character create for some interesting references, continuity, and continued exploration of themes from the original graphic novel, but for me, the original characters felt a bit off in Lindelof's interpretation of how they would be today and they take away from the show at times by trying to reimagine them, while honoring their legacy, while making them relevant to the plot, etc. when the best, most poignant stuff in the show is the elements that were original creations that were inspired by the events from the original.

I'm interested in doing a rewatch due to recent events, since it feels even more relevant now. Everyone wearing masks due to Covid-19 and police covering their badge numbers, it feels oddly prescient. Even things like highlighting the realities of the Tulsa Massacre and white supremacist infiltration in the police force and working with politicians are things that seem like unbelievable fiction to people, but introducing and confronting people with those ideas, which are very based in reality, offset some of the clunky handling, under-exploration of themes, and many other flaws for me.
It's definitely not perfect, I was pretty disappointed with how it ended, but I still feel the show was excellent for what it did do well and I'm looking forward to rewatching for that reason. The highs are so high and that lows didn't hurt the show too much for me.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think some people like this because it's a shiny good looking show with some sci-fi and mystery elements, but if you think about it for a bit the premise is half-baked. It tried though I guess. Like Alan Moore has stated many times : make your own thing; make something new. Or at least reinvent a story, trope, or characters like he has throughout his career.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Tulsa stuff is cool, but this is a series who has a black protagonist who's entire social circle is comprised of white people, her white children [rest is spoilers...]
and a husband who is a white demigod pretending to be a black man. Additionally, the main villain of the story is a person of color saying "fuck this racist ass world."

Also the heroes are effectively
cops that frequently commit police brutality. Sister Night not only beats suspects, possibly waterboards one, and is even shown in flashback as a kid basically wanting to watch a cop execute someone

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
eeeh ok really surprised but it's not region locked? I thought this'd be US only but I'm in Belgium and I can start up the first ep. Too bad this is TLOU weekend, damn

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The police chief was part of a KKK-like group, but that was it.

There were more going back to the Hooded Justice episode; although he himself was a cop surrounded by KKK colleagues. I guess the thing was that it was still a secret society. But this is a fictional universe with Reparations having happened [/spoilers]

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If anyone has yet to watch this show, and only barely knowledgeable of the source material, please don't spoil yourself. It had one of the most jaw dropping reveals in recent TV history. Maybe obvious to some, sure as hell wasn't to me.

Also if you're a fan of Regina King you're in for a surprise. She puts in an acting clinic while also whipping ass.

Erigu

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
There were more going back to the Hooded Justice episode; although he himself was a cop surrounded by KKK colleagues.
Ah, in the past, yes, sure. In the present, however...
www.youtube.com

HBO's Watchmen and Copaganda

Boy, Watchmen has some ideas in it, huh? Support me on Patreon: https://patreon.com/ThoughtSlime Follow me on Twitch: https://twitch.tv/ThoughtSlime One time...

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
So Lindelof delivered in the end? I remember seeing people be doubtful here when it was announced...

Will give it a shot.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
This show was a real surprise. Even people who doesn't like super hero stuff (myself included) must watch this, it's really really good. I just recommend people to look up who's Dr. Manhattan, Rorschach, Ozymandias and a brief description of the events in the Watchmen graphic novel, whenever you feel a bit lost in the story.

Episode 5 is one of the best things I watched in TV, ever. Simply phenomenal.

This is among the best HBO shows, same level of quality.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
This is a show for adults who were impressed by the race metaphor in Zootopia.
This is a pretty galling and reductive statement. Especially since this show started out by showing the Tulsa race riots. I'm not going to say it's an A+ examination of race in America, but I still felt it was way more thoughtful than other shows that try to tip-toe around the subject.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty galling and reductive statement. Especially since this show started out by showing the Tulsa race riots. I'm not going to say it's an A+ examination of race in America, but I still felt it was way more thoughtful than other shows that try to tip-toe around the subject.

I think what's great about the show is that it took a cue from Watchmen and wrapped its story in the political issues of its day. In the 80s when the graphic novel came out it was set against the Cold War and the threat of Nuclear weapons. In the show, it's modern day and race driven politics and White Supremacy controlled police set the story.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not having watched it, I'm pretty surprised at the unanimous praise, especially on a board like Era that pretty much never agrees on anything. People saying it's as good as the comic or that it elevates it have me definitely paying attention. Hopefully it's also available in Spain this weekend!

Edit: OK, nearly unanimous praise. Still.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
they could have made it free on hbo now for people with rokus. Get your shit together hbo and roku. Figure out your contracts.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
The idea of the liberal run USA were poorly executed when trying to use it as a direct allegory for how that would look in America today or extending some of the ideas to their natural conclusion, but I think that is was paying respect to Moore's original comic continuity with Robert Redford being elected to office and spending more than 2 terms in office. Also, they wanted a reason for Veidt to have a key role in the show, so him being a liberal with a plot in the original comic that could be seen as him creating his own lberal utopia, I could see why they went the direction in the show that they did (I haven't read the original graphic novel to be fair, only have seen the motion comic and the movie and read discussion about the graphic novel and elements in it that aren't contained in either other media but have evidently been referenced by the show). But yeah, being able to have a plot that creates a liberal "deep state" that attempts to control narratives to have a liberal president reigning for years is clunky, and there are lots of ideas that are clunky or problematic when trying to extrapolate ideas from this alternative universe to ours in 1:1 direct allegory (like much fiction I can think of, unfortunately), but while I would have liked them to explore some themes deeper and find a better way to tie those themes to the plot, I think how deep and relevant it manages to express and explore some of it's themes, it does deserve a lot of credit, even if it should have gone further.

I think looking back, writing and shooting the Veidt stuff first due to scheduling and timing constraints and then building the show around that side plot ultimately hurt what the show could have been. The show could have done more with more episodes, but I think trying to tie it into Veidt and other original characters felt like weakpoints for the show in some ways rather than strengths. The original character create for some interesting references, continuity, and continued exploration of themes from the original graphic novel, but for me, the original characters felt a bit off in Lindelof's interpretation of how they would be today and they take away from the show at times by trying to reimagine them, while honoring their legacy, while making them relevant to the plot, etc. when the best, most poignant stuff in the show is the elements that were original creations that were inspired by the events from the original.

I'm interested in doing a rewatch due to recent events, since it feels even more relevant now. Everyone wearing masks due to Covid-19 and police covering their badge numbers, it feels oddly prescient. Even things like highlighting the realities of the Tulsa Massacre and white supremacist infiltration in the police force and working with politicians are things that seem like unbelievable fiction to people, but introducing and confronting people with those ideas, which are very based in reality, offset some of the clunky handling, under-exploration of themes, and many other flaws for me.
It's definitely not perfect, I was pretty disappointed with how it ended, but I still feel the show was excellent for what it did do well and I'm looking forward to rewatching for that reason. The highs are so high and that lows didn't hurt the show too much for me.

I actually think Ozy and Laurie are utilized pretty well and their presence feels organic. It's Manhattan who totally overwhelms the show at the end. that entire plot should have been rewritten because its pretty clunky. /SPOILER]

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
Incredible show, my favourite of recent years. It had a profound effect on me in a way I didn't expect at all; the 'Hooded Justice' episode is one of the best I've ever seen.

Feb 27, 2018
Is there any way to watch this on an Xbox One or PS4 if I don't have an HBO account? Looks like its just streaming via their web browser...