Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If you haven't seen it yet, it's absolutely worth checking out. The series is just as good as the comic, which is something I'd never thought I'd say about a Watchmen TV show.

Dec 21, 2017
If you haven't seen it yet, it's absolutely worth checking out. The series is just as good as the comic, which is something I'd never thought I'd say about a Watchmen TV show.

This.

I rewatched it a week ago once it came out on Blu-ray. It's eerie how socially relevant it is in a post-Floyd world.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished rewatching this series yesterday. I loved every minute of it! Would love a season 2 if they can keep it interesting.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect. So glad HBO is promoting this and not going through with Confederate. Watchmen has been one of the best series of the decade and the spotlight it had on the Tulsa massacre helped illuminate so many Americans.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
great series, although helps if you have a bit of context.

I'll forever love it because I went back and looked up The Leftovers, which I had never seen before. What a watch.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I almost didn't watch this because I assumed it would be spitting in Alan Moore's face or something, but it's actually excellent and a worthy sequel to the comic.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I know they are using this is a back door way to market their product but I am honestly appreciative of this show for educating me on the Tulsa Riots. I am just amazed I didn't know about it until just last year. I urge people to give this a watch.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I almost didn't watch this because I assumed it would be spitting in Alan Moore's face or something, but it's actually excellent and a worthy sequel to the comic.

It retroactively elevates the source material, that's how good it is.

The CGI on one late character I really wish they'd go back and touch up, but it is what it is.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the main reason I signed up for HBO Max, to watch this finally at the discounted rate. I freaking loved it, I'm glad others will be able to see it too!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect. So glad HBO is promoting this and not going through with Confederate. Watchmen has been one of the best series of the decade and the spotlight it had on the Tulsa massacre helped illuminate so many Americans.

Granted, i'm not an American, but during the first episode, i was like "oh, yeah right, Watchmen is set in a parallel universe..." - only to google "Tulsa 1921" after the first episode šŸ˜±

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I remember Damon Lindelof said that he wouldn't be interested in doing another season unless he had a good idea for it.

I wonder if any of the real world events since the show aired would have given him any ideas.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God. I had to cancel my HBO before I was able to finish it. Now that my wife is interested in learning more about black culture, maybe we can watch it from the beginning. It's an excellent show, and I'm glad that I gave it another chance after I initially disliked it.

Once these protests began, this was the first show on my mind.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's pretty amazing how nearly everyone who shit on the idea is now eating crow.
For sure - it just speaks to the high quality of the series, I think. The post-original Watchmen content's been pretty mixed so far - the miniseries DC released like ten years ago were all over the map in terms of quality and the Snyder film, while occasionally great, is super uneven and awkwardly paced. An HBO series sounded interesting, but my expectations were firmly in the "expect nothing, end up pleasantly surprised" camp. I was blown away, though, especially once things ramped up around the halfway point.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Watched this a couple weeks before George Floyd's murder, and holy shit does this show hit. Also was the spark for me to look up Black Wall Street. So much black history that US history books just don't touch on.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I think the show is a lot worse in a post-George Floyd world. It's good that it showed the Tulsa massacre, but it's very much like a lot of copaganda out there and Lindelof's ideas of a liberal run USA are lame, especially now when so many cops cry about being under siege.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Granted, i'm not an American, but during the first episode, i was like "oh, yeah right, Watchmen is set in a parallel universe..." - only to google "Tulsa 1921" after the first episode šŸ˜±
As i have mentioned before, I have a friend that liked to whinne about forced diversity in cĆ³mics and his entire world view was destroyed after I told him that event, which he considered manipulative, preaching and unrealistic, actually happened.
I still remember his silent shock when I clarified that the plane bit was also real.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
It really was a great little mini-series, and it still makes me profoundly sad that tons of people had to learn about the Tulsa massacre from this instead of from history class.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
A great, great show. I was really dubious of any adaptations or continuations after the Snyder mess and DC's canonization of the universe, but the show really defied my expectations and felt like a valid successor that fit the world while also having its own purpose.

Plus the music is bangin'.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this on a free trial a few days ago. I knew nothing about it going in, so I was not expecting it to be such an uncomfortable watch in present times. Very good show though.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the show is a lot worse in a post-George Floyd world. It's good that it showed the Tulsa massacre, but it's very much like a lot of copaganda out there and Lindelof's ideas of a liberal run USA are lame, especially now when so many cops cry about being under siege.
I agree with this. An argument can be made that this show glorifies cops. It didn't really tackle the systemic problems of the police, but kinda just said there are 'good cops' and 'bad cops' and left it at that imo

Also an argument can be made that one of the characters kind of did blackface.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, great series. I still recall how completely flabbergasted I was during the first episode. I had never heard of the Tulsa Black Wall Street massacre and I was a fucking history major.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. An argument can be made that this show glorifies cops. It didn't really tackle the systemic problems of the police, but kinda just said there are 'good cops' and 'bad cops' and left it at that imo
I think there's some fair critique to be had here, but I don't know that you can fairly say that it doesn't tackle the systemic problems of police at all when one of the core thrusts of the show is that the police force has been an instrument of white supremacy for generations.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Gonna need to watch this. Probably won't be able to watch it this weekend, but I can probably get HBO Max or w/e to watch it another time.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's some fair critique to be had here, but I don't know that you can fairly say that it doesn't tackle the systemic problems of police at all when one of the core thrusts of the show is that the police force has been an instrument of white supremacy for generations.
That is referenced throughout the show than actually somewhat delivered on in episode 6, which is why that's the strongest episode imo, but even then after that episode it kind of discards a lot of social commentary because it can't manage its focus well. It's a very good show but it's also a very by white liberals for white liberals program.

It also pays lip service to but doesn't substantively comment on the realities of militarization of the police force, use of violence by police forces, or the dueling realities of being a police officer and being a person of color.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The series is just as good as the comic

Is-it-though.gif

Genuinely not seen it. šŸ˜„

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017