menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I love seeing books on my shelf and love collecting them but lately the past year or so I have been buying more on Kindle and on my iPad. With more and more mom and pop book stores closing its has been easier to find more obscure titles just by digital.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just starting too for environmental reasons (and my bookshelf is full and and I don't want to buy another book shelf)

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I still love Physical books and most of the time buy them if possible, I just love to collect them and put them in my book case.
But I also read books on my phone and on my e-reader, those are usually books I read in between during tea time or when I wait for the buss and stuff.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I love seeing books on my shelf and love collecting them but lately the past year or so I have been buying more on Kindle and on my iPad. With more and more mom and pop book stores closing its has been easier to find more obscure titles just by digital.
I wish I could make the switch. I have a Kobo but I don't use it. I like physical books.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I want to try eBooks, I have yet to find a good eReader, because i have to move a lot and I can't carry many books. I own a buch of ebooks but I have to read them on my phone which I don't quite like.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
not completely. i still buy physical books for my favorite titles.

i've recently been using Audible which is amazing. at home i cast it to my speaker. i can listen to the books while out a walk or at work. so i'm getting through books much faster!

i used to have a kindle but got rid of it. i plan on buying a new one soon so i'll go between ebooks/audiobooks and if i really like a book i'll buy a physical copy.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer ebooks especially for some reasons. If I read physical books their generally from the library

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
The only digital books I buy are Japanese mangas because it's cheaper this way (unless I'm actually in Japan).
Otherwise I like actually having the book.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
No, I read books to avoid looking into a screen.

Although readers with e-inks might be worth looking into.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I have. The convenience of books on my phone is too much to pass up. And I collect cds still so that's my physical space hog. Went digital with books, movies, and games now.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Yes I have. The convenience of books on my phone is too much to pass up. And I collect cds still so that's my physical space hog. Went digital with books, movies, and games now.
Ive converted everywhere except books. Granted physical books are much cheaper than digital in most cases but I actually assume this is true of movies and music too. Even games I would imagine.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
For me...Physical manga, digital everything else.

My wife prefers physical. And we have a few signed or rare copies of books that we display like collectables.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Digital is a lot easier to carry around, you can have a bunch of them to read anytime anywhere in your phone, so that. Either way, I tend to have a physical copy of things I really like, I wouldn't care otherwise

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
No. Nothing beats the feel of a real book in my hands. A little bit of magic I guess

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a large hardcover collection and it was a nice change to move most of my books to digital. The only books I buy physical copies of are history books (most of which aren't available digitally).

I'm not sure what (if anything) will be the catalyst to have me start looking into audiobooks. I'm interested in the new Dan Carlin book in audio format being a fan of Hardcore History but unsure if I really want to start listening to books.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been digital only for years now, I guess it would be nice to have a physical collection to show, but then I'd have to deal with all the space they'd take up.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly. I just had too many books (at one time close to 1000) and they were taking up too much space.
All new books I get now are ebooks unless physical is the only option. When I see an existing book I own on a deep sale as an ebook, I buy it and give the physical book to a charity shop.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Depends on what it is and how much it costs. I regularly do a purge and take a load of stuff to Half Price Books and trade them in, and usually get GOOD cash for them. Plus someone else will get to read it at a big discount.

There are some things I really like having in a physical form so they can never be taken away from me. That or because seeing the illustrations on a screen to me just isn't the same. Graphic novels being a big one.

For just straight up fiction and scifi literature though, if it's <$10 I'll usually grab it on the Play store. Especially since I have credits on there from Google Awards.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Haven't read a physical book in years. iPad all the damn way. Physical books are an expensive waste of space (same with games and movies).

I don't m,ind audio books, but I can't give them my full attention like reading so it's only for stuff I don't care about too much.

Oct 30, 2017
100% kindle

Way cheaper books, no clutter, perfect font & text size, don't need a night lamp to read, can simply put it on my lap when I commute. To each their own though.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely. It's still fun to browse a book store and pick something up.

Mostly digital though.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
No, I have a Kindle for convenience to read on the train or on vacation but I'll never give up physical books, reading an actual book is a completely different experience.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Never ever. I love the tactile, analog experience of reading a book. A beautifully bound book, with impeccable spacing and perfect typeface, truly accentuates and improves the reading experience. And there is no greater feeling than entering a home and seeing a full bookshelf. My apologies to the arborists, but reading digitally will never hold a computerized candle to a physical, pulp and ink tome.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Physical or audio books for me. The only time I really preferred ebooks was in college so I didn't need to lug around a stack of heavy textbooks.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Mostly. I only started reading again after years of not reading a single book last year, thanks to buying an old kindle from my brother. I have read something like 30 books since, and haven't looked back. Ebooks/e-readers are way too convenient, though I still see myself buying the occasional beautiful book.

For example the last book I bought was the Earthsea Books collection that released late 2018.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, I love my bookshelf and it's just not the same with an ereader. At least, I haven't found one yet which made me think about switching from physical books.

And like others said, I read books sometimes just to get away from my day-long staring at monitors.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No way José. I'm burning through the Wheel of Time series now, it's 14 books. I actually bought all the ebooks in addition to the paper books. I enjoy reading the paper books *so* much more. The ebook is simpler, sure, and I use that late at night when I have no light source, but I'd much rather read from the actual book.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Nope, still prefer physical. For me I actually use my books to get away from technology for a bit. Sometimes I'm sick of looking at screens all day, so I'll go sit down outside if it's warm and read a book. It's nice to just get away from it all sometimes, and having digital books would get rid of that part of the enjoyment. So I'm good.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No, but I do but both.

Fiction books that I deem as classics that I know I'll read again (ASOIAF, Wolf Hall, Shakespeare etc) and Nonfiction books, I'll always buy physical.

However, I do own a Kindle and use that to buy cheap books that I know I'll only read once. Tom Clancy, Bernard Cornwell for example.

Music, films and games are all digital, but books are, and will always be, the only medium I'll buy in physical format.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just started getting into buying books, and let's just say you can call me olivia newton john

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Almost. I still may buy a book (or comicbook, for what it matters) I really liked here an there, but I only read through the Kindle, even books I own on paper. Is just too convenient, either at home or when moving around.

I would never read a book on a tablet or phone, tho. I really, really hate it.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Yes, with the exception of comic books. I have a few digital comics but there's just something about having a physical TPB or floppy that I really like.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, while I will always prefer holding a physical book while reading it, I just can't justify having all the bulk around at the end of the day taking up so much space.

Plus it's nice to be able to grab my kindle and have a whole library with me while traveling.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Almost entirely kindle now... I'll get the odd physical book for favourite series, but as I rarely get hardbacks, kindle also means I can read new books on the same schedule as the hardback release

I can't read from a tablet or phone screen for an extended time though - it has to be e-ink.