• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
Medal of Honor being killed off by CoD comes to mind. Sigh. We lost the better of the two.
As a lifelong fan of Medal of Honor, I don't really agree. The later games in the series felt like thumbs-down versions of whatever CoD was doing. There's so much you could do with the WW2 setting to give a game more character. Remember that Medal of Honor used to be stealth based? Mostly due to the limitations of the PS1, admittedly, but that was part of its charm. Heck if I recall not a single level in the very first game even took place during the day (to hide the fact the skybox was only two pixels across) and some levels had you doing crazy jumps and mild platforming.

Imagine if they went back to that and ran with it. I've long wished there was a Medal of Honor reboot that was actually more of a spiritual successor to The Saboteur. You know, rather than a bronze medalist behind Call of Duty and Battlefield.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Post Uncharted, Tomb Raider is coming off the back of its most successful period ever with the latest trilogy. The best selling game in the series came after 3 Uncharted games( 4 counting Golden Abyss). Even if you just want to talk criticial reception, the latest trilogy are the best recieved TR games since the original.

Maybe "killed" is a bit of an overstatement but Uncharted definitely took the crown and moved from Tomb Raider Killer to its own massive IP and it took some time for Tomb Raider to come back with a game that could stand against Uncharted.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Grand Turismo killed arcade racers.

Sega could release a title with 4 tracks anymore.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Forza series sorta took over a lot of GT space for sure.

GT doesnt have the same pull that it did in the early days.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I think Call of Duty was kinda put up against Medal of Honor ... and completly eat it alive.

Yup, this is the one I always think of when this question gets asked.

Uncharted as a Tomb Raider Killer.

www.gamespot.com

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

This new game from Naughty Dog features jungle adventures in a Pitfall-esque setting.

Tomb Raider is an interesting one. Started off inspired in part by the Prince of Persia games and fared much better than that that series' first attempt into 3D (Prince of Persia... 3D). Then Tomb Raider lost its way and the Sands of Time trilogy did really well. The first Crystal Dynamics TR trilogy seems to have some movement mechanics inspired by the Ubi PoP trilogy. The Uncharted games are partly inspired by the Tomb Raider games. Then the second CD Tomb Raider trilogy borrows heavily in turn from Uncharted.

Personally I'd like to see Tomb Raider go back to its roots with well-crafted levels as opposed to open worlds and more focus on actual Tomb Raiding and platforming. I'd also like to see it borrow more from the PoP Ubi games in terms of smooth movement.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
701.jpg

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Cod and WoW are the only real examples IMO. As they both pretty much eradicated their original opposition (COD/Everquest).

PUBG vs Fortnite was definitely an impact. But PUBG is still raking in all kinds of money. So that's more "made less popular" than being an actual killer.

Nov 4, 2017
I wouldn't call Forza a GT killer when Sport has sold 8+ million units, I don't think FM shifts units like that (and that's no longer a fair comparison since Forza is now a jewel in the GamePass crown). They definitely have different strengths and weaknesses though, and I think that's good. They are both excellent, top-teir experiences in my opinion.

On the other hand, Forza Horizon dunks on every other arcadey racer ever (and as somebody who puts Burnout Paradise in their top 20, I don't say this lightly). I tried playing NFS when it was free with PS+, and all I could think about was how I'd rather be playing Forza Horizon. I think it's the best thing MS makes.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I feel like a lot of PS3 Sony games were framed as Nintendo killers.

ModNation Racers > Mario Kart
PS Allstars Battle Royale > Smash
Little Big Planet > 2D Mario

Though maybe that was just the message board console wars of that era.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Croc ate Mario, Crash Bandicoot and... Tomb Raider(?) according to this advert from back in the day.

lol

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Like others have said, COD was the closest and it was a gradual death.

Aside from that, I can't think of any other games that were deemed _____killer by the devs or media and lived up to that hype. Especially in a single game.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
WoW had to kill whatever came before it, right?
That's what I was going to post. I think there's an argument for "WoW as the Everquest killer", yeah. Although Everquest wasn't exactly wiped out with WoW, just WoW eclipsed all perception of how successful an MMO could realistically be.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this is the one I always think of when this question gets asked.

Tomb Raider is an interesting one. Started off inspired in part by the Prince of Persia games and fared much better than that that series' first attempt into 3D (Prince of Persia... 3D). Then Tomb Raider lost its way and the Sands of Time trilogy did really well. The first Crystal Dynamics TR trilogy seems to have some movement mechanics inspired by the Ubi PoP trilogy. The Uncharted games are partly inspired by the Tomb Raider games. Then the second CD Tomb Raider trilogy borrows heavily in turn from Uncharted.

Personally I'd like to see Tomb Raider go back to its roots with well-crafted levels as opposed to open worlds and more focus on actual Tomb Raiding and platforming. I'd also like to see it borrow more from the PoP Ubi games in terms of smooth movement.
They were never really in direct competition. And even when the Tomb Raider reboot games came on the scene, they coexisted just fine with Uncharted.
Those games have been feeding off each other since the 90s as part of a sort of tomb/puzzle/action/platformer genre. Maybe call it the "tomb" genre? But you're missing one of the major influences there -- Ico.

OG Prince of Persia --> OG Tomb Raider --> Ico --> Sands of Time --> Tomb Raider Legend --> Uncharted --> nu-Tomb Raider.

God of War is also kinda off there to the side, taking it all in.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Most of the people in this thread are ignoring the premise. OP is talking about games that were specifically marketed as a "killer" of an established franchise. Fortnite, CoD, WoW, Forza, etc. were never marketed as such.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
I wouldn't call Forza a GT killer when Sport has sold 8+ million units, I don't think FM shifts units like that (and that's no longer a fair comparison since Forza is now a jewel in the GamePass crown). They definitely have different strengths and weaknesses though, and I think that's good. They are both excellent, top-teir experiences in my opinion.

On the other hand, Forza Horizon dunks on every other arcadey racer ever (and as somebody who puts Burnout Paradise in their top 20, I don't say this lightly). I tried playing NFS when it was free with PS+, and all I could think about was how I'd rather be playing Forza Horizon. I think it's the best thing MS makes.
Yeah, Forza wasn't a killer, but it definitely forced Gran Turismo to improve, as FM3 and FM4 ate GT's lunch back in gen 7. Not to mention the long wait for GT5 and then upon release getting beat in awards by Need for Speed, and releasing GT6 after the launch of the PS4. I don't think GT goes for the Sport route if they hadn't been forced by Forza

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
"Need For Speed, a Test Drive killer", which I heard long ago and maybe it's still true to this day?
Though a new Test Drive Unlimited should be on the way.

Mar 31, 2018
Most of the people in this thread are ignoring the premise. OP is talking about games that were specifically marketed as a "killer" of an established franchise. Fortnite, CoD, WoW, Forza, etc. were never marketed as such.

Because it's difficult, really. I can't recall many games / publishers or media saying or doing that, aside from 90's stuff like magazines. But even then.. not so much.

Which for example is why I myself talked about MMO games. They weren't ouright saying they 'we're going to kill WoW' but more that 'we are doing things different and mostly better' and then the community / hype itself made it out to be some WoW killer and well, we all know how that went. In those cases it never really was the publishers or anything, but hype itself killing stuff (obviously fed by the publisher, remember Wildstar hype? lol)

I can't think of many examples that outright said they would 'kill game x'

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a lifelong fan of Medal of Honor, I don't really agree. The later games in the series felt like thumbs-down versions of whatever CoD was doing. There's so much you could do with the WW2 setting to give a game more character. Remember that Medal of Honor used to be stealth based? Mostly due to the limitations of the PS1, admittedly, but that was part of its charm. Heck if I recall not a single level in the very first game even took place during the day (to hide the fact the skybox was only two pixels across) and some levels had you doing crazy jumps and mild platforming.

Imagine if they went back to that and ran with it. I've long wished there was a Medal of Honor reboot that was actually more of a spiritual successor to The Saboteur. You know, rather than a bronze medalist behind Call of Duty and Battlefield.
Yeah if you compare the last two entries to the beginning of the series they're pretty ass from a MoH standpoint, but even then I enjoyed the 2010 game a hell of a lot more than most CoD games. Even Warfighter (although that MP was so trash. The 2010 had an okay MP).

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Forza is not a GT killer, but it is one of the rare instances of a game that was developed "as an answer to" another platform holder's game that did not turn out to be trash.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nov 21, 2019
Is Valorant currently trying to do that against CSGO? I don't follow either of the scenes at all, but I have heard of a lot of CSGO pros moving over to Valorant instead now and the game is certainly gaining traction.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
"Need For Speed, a Test Drive killer", which I heard long ago and maybe it's still true to this day?
Though a new Test Drive Unlimited should be on the way.
This is a good one. TNFS came out in '94 and pretty much ate Test Drive's lunch, and it never recovered after that. Heck, the people who made Test Drive went on to make NFS, as EA bought Test Drive's developer (Distinctive Software) in '92. And if TDU3 is anything like TDU2, I wouldn't expect a comeback, especially with the racing game market being so small these days.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Yes Fortnite surely killed PUBG, a game that sold 50 million copies in Early Access(70+ million currently), and still hits 400k concurrent players a day on Steam...

The irrational, ignorant hate for PUBG on this forum has always been mind-numbing.
I've always interpreted "killer" in this context to "usurping status as the de facto example of the genre and overtaking in mindshare".

Based on this, I'd say for example Forza is for sure a GT killer, even though the latter is still certainly successful and well regarded.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
CoD 100% was developed with killing Medal of Honor as a goal, was made by a lot of the people who worked on MoH and it's development/project name was literally "MoH killer" before they came up with Call of Duty. Many years later a lot the same people jumpship to make a so called "CoD Killer" Titanfall, less successful the second time, but a fun little story.
I agree with the rest though, would also not class Uncharted as I don't think it's goal was ever to kill Tomb Raider it was just an inspiration, hence the "Dude Raider" project title.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Valorant currently trying to do that against CSGO? I don't follow either of the scenes at all, but I have heard of a lot of CSGO pros moving over to Valorant instead now and the game is certainly gaining traction.

feel like it's hard to tell since covid really cut off any big esports momentum around launch. but CSGO seems way too big to actually be killed. probably just leeching off any pros that are bored of CSGO, didn't make it in the game or smell a bigger paycheck there.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
If we count games that were able to capitalize on really bad entries in the series they killed then Cities Skylines killed Sim City so badly they are still finding bits of the body.

That being said I think there's a big difference between being "an X killer" and being opportunistic or lucky with release times.