• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Joyeux Noel
Anna and the Apocalypse
Better Watch Out
Rare Exports

and dozens more because Elf is terrible

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Christmas Chronicles was alright last year. Not gonna be a Christmas classic but it was worth a punt.

Klaus on the other hand is amazing from start to finish.

It's gonna be a while before something like Elf comes along and surprises us all again. Home alone remake possibly?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Elf is a turd of a movie. All the good Christmas movies were made in the 80s and early 90s. It's just a scientific fact.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Every year I find it harder and harder to contain my intense dislike for Elf and everything else Will Ferrell inflicts upon the world.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Elf is my favorite ever, I liked the new one on Disney+ with Anna Kendrick can't think of any other newer ones I'd watch again, what was the one with Vince Vaughn it wasn't good but I liked it.

Lotta people recommending Klaus gonna check it out tomorrow

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone and everyone who says Love, Actually you are wrong. Such a vile, despicable film. Every single plot line is just pure bile. It's a movie that presents a clear dividing line - if you like it you are a bad person.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Christmas Chronicles is okay. Klaus is fantastic. I'll probably check out Arthur Christmas based on this thread.

Elf was really good the first time or two that I saw it, but I don't get the insane love people have for it. (My brother-in-law tries to make us watch it multiple times every Christmas Day.)

Oct 27, 2017
The Night Before is so close to being a great Christmas movie if they had figured out the aimless second act. There are so many great ideas in it, though.

Dec 31, 2017
I'll have to check out Klaus but honestly I think you're right OP. That style of Christmas movie hasn't really been as prevalent since Elf (at least not in terms of quality).

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Elf was released November 7, 2003

This was released December 5, 2003:
814CGMWuqKL._RI_.jpg

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
It's a great movie, and probably one of the most important pieces of entertainment ever. It indirectly lead to a $18+ billion (in revenue) franchise, which is unprecedented to say the least. To contrast that, Star Wars (Lucasfilm) was sold for $4 billion. That's nuts, considering for decades Star Wars was thought of as a landmark franchise.

I think you meant to post in the Phantom Menace thread.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of kids that grew up with Elf consider it a classic, and that said, Polar Express came out after Elf and a lot of kids of the time considered that memorable as well. There's a reason that after that, you get Polar Express floats in most holiday parade since 2004 and someone blasting or singing Believe on that float. Does that make it a good movie? Nah, but that's also subjective. I'm sure when those kids are older parents, they'll look back at those uncanny valley faces and say, "Man, why don't they make movies as GOOD as these anymore?"

Though, I vote for Krampus too! Fun holiday horror flick in the vein of Gremlins. It was PG-13, in the 80s way.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
A lot of kids that grew up with Elf consider it a classic, and that said, Polar Express came out after Elf and a lot of kids of the time considered that memorable as well. There's a reason that after that, you get Polar Express floats in most holiday parade since 2004 and someone blasting or singing Believe on that float. Does that make it a good movie? Nah, but that's also subjective. I'm sure those kids are older parents, they'll look back at those uncanny valley faces and say, "Man, why don't they make movies as GOOD as these anymore?"

Though, I vote for Krampus too! Fun holiday horror flick in the vein of Gremlins. It was PG-13, in the 80s way.
As someone who grew up with both Polar Express and Elf and still enjoy them today, I will say that they do kinda represent the last major batch of big-budget Christmas movies. I remember the marketing and hype behind Polar Express was insane, and being a kid during this time still believing in Santa and all that just made Christmas feel much more magical. I don't know if there really is an equivalent for the current generation.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Elf is good in a vacuum; but because I now have to deal with a million Will Ferrel gifs every Christmas I hate it.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
All this Elf slander. It's a good Christmas movie and not a retread of soooo many other Christmas movies.

That spaghetti maple syrup scene gets me every time.

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of kids that grew up with Elf consider it a classic, and that said, Polar Express came out after Elf and a lot of kids of the time considered that memorable as well. There's a reason that after that, you get Polar Express floats in most holiday parade since 2004 and someone blasting or singing Believe on that float. Does that make it a good movie? Nah, but that's also subjective. I'm sure when those kids are older parents, they'll look back at those uncanny valley faces and say, "Man, why don't they make movies as GOOD as these anymore?"

I say the same thing about Jingle All The Way. I was 14 when it came out so it doesn't resonate with me at all and I dont understand those it does.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yes, Arthur Christmas:
1200x630bb.jpg

Its a 2011 Christmas movie that has an interesting take on Santa Clause actually being a title within this family who delivers toys to kids through different generations rather than just being 1 immortal man doing this for years. And its about Arthur who's just someone who checks the kid's letter's for the current Santa, finds out that this new high tech Santa sleigh missed on girl's house and forgot to deliver the gift. Arthur then goes onto a quest with a former Santa and an elf to locate this house and deliver this one gift before Christmas morning rises. There's also a story about how one person (Hugh Laurie's character) in the Christmas family (the name of the Clause family in this) was waiting in line to get the proper title but deals with the disappointment that the current Santa announces that he's staying at his role. Honestly I need to stop talking about this film. I just remember watching this movie in 2017 and was really floored with how well told the story was and how inspirational it ended up being.
I was coming to post this
After I saw it, instantly joined my holiday rotation

Just so sweet and pure

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I never knew people could not like Elf before this thread. Clearly the best Christmas movie.