Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
infurating because it was hardly a secret that they were planning something. it was all over their side of social media in the days leading up to it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Its early in the day in the US. Fully prepared for all the absolute asshattery that is gonna come out of the country over the next day.
I heard that some ppl were advised by their jobs to use leave for today if they work in the DC area near the Capitol.

Yeah.....welcome to 2022.

EDIT, well...seems some govt places or offices/divisions are actually closed today in DC. Also, I dont think the OPM Status is about the weather, it had a different message the last 2 days.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans have been downplaying the whole thing all year long.

And if they retake the House in 2023, all investigations will be squashed. They're trying to run out the clock for midterms with all the delays and refusing to meet with investigatiors.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
What's crazy is that all these people are breaking the law for a man who is lying non-stop, and he's just sitting back moving the strings like they're are all puppets.

The rioters, right-wing media people, his WH aides and GoP lawmakers who planned and carried out the attacks are being arrested and jailed, or committing contempt of Congress by ignoring subpoenas, are all going to jail for Trump. Why? What the hell is he promising these people that they are willing to go to jail for him?

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
This is going to make me sound like a terrible person, but part of me wonders what would be different if they did get to a congressman.
If one of them got hurt or kidnapped or killed maybe actual consequences would happen.

Maybe not, they'd just gaslight sone other way.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I heard that some ppl were advised by their jobs to use leave for today if they work in the DC area near the Capitol.

Yeah.....welcome to 2022.

EDIT, well...seems some govt places or offices/divisions are actually closed today in DC. Also, I dont think the OPM Status is about the weather, it had a different message the last 2 days.

Doubt it. The last 2 days were maximum telework and delayed reporting of 3 hours. The telework and unscheduled leave there is probably because certain areas, like Stafford County, VA, are still digging out of snow — some people still don't have power.

Anyway, I had a distant view of the Capitol from my apartment in Navy Yard at the time (coincidentally, AOC's building). It remains a totally surreal day. I was glued to the news.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 250 years of democracy is on the brink due to a two bit huckster from NYC born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OIP.fbh3dJfVDqLE3oi274CDrQHaD4
It's the "that guy from the local bar" convention.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to make me sound like a terrible person, but part of me wonders what would be different if they did get to a congressman.
If one of them got hurt or kidnapped or killed maybe actual consequences would happen.

Maybe not, they'd just gaslight sone other way.
Well, if a congressman got killed, it probably would have delayed the vote certification, which would have opened the door to Hell basically.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Remember that chud that was easily kited into a group a cops because because he couldn't not chase a black guy.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Almost 250 years of democracy is on the brink due to a two bit huckster from NYC born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Almost 250 years as a country. America wasn't a democracy until 1964.

Can we just forget this day ever happened? I don't want January 6th to be synonymous with some bullshit like this.

It won't be forgotten as it was the first attempt at a coup. We aren't out of this yet.

Not really. This is the result of a very calculated and active 50 year plan by a wing of 1970s conservatives to wrestle back power and destroy the New Deal and Civil Rights Act.

Trump is a symptom, not the virus.

Check out Goldwater Coalition and how long people like Atwater, Stone, Manafort, and Gingrich have been at it riding the tiger.

This.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Not really. This is the result of a very calculated and active 50 year plan by a wing of 1970s conservatives to wrestle back power and destroy the New Deal and Civil Rights Act, democracy be damned.

Trump is a symptom, not the virus.

Check out Goldwater Coalition and how long people like Atwater, Stone, Manafort, and Gingrich have been at it riding the tiger.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I'm just glad that we all had a cultural and judicial reckoning, resulting in the ousting of those responsible from government and…I'm sorry what's that? Oh they're still in office and planning a second attempt? Well then.

Africanus II

Oct 26, 2017
A tragic comedy

I wish I could feel something but Libya/Honduras/Haiti/Bolivia meddling shows me that this is U.S fascism just reaching home

People had advanced warning this entire century (and even further back as a poster mentioned to the 70s) from George W Bush starting another wave of US nationalism and xenophobia, the tea party movement x birther movement beginning under Obama while he allowed for a lopsided economic recovery, the rise of Trump, Charlottesville, increased hate crimes, and a bow tied hit being put out on live tv with everyone assuming that 2020 was just going to be an anomaly of rage

And yet, 6 days after 2021 started, a clear message was sent. Now this next part is something I say as a person who was in DC that day. However, part of the reason I wish I could feel something is that all throughout 2020 when these white folks were sending bomb threats, running over folks at BLM marches, shooting people it was quiet. In fact, specifically in DC they beat up people on every letter of BLM Plaza for justice protests but allowed white supremacists to roam free (some of these same cops eventually lauded as heroes after J6).

When they charge a building full of elite politicians now is the fall of democracy.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As is the case in America, the dumbest shit happens here. I really think this dipshit failed coup really is a sign of the end of American democracy. Nobody held to account, and we have numerous reports that people within government pushed for a coup.

Dec 30, 2020
I can't think of a bigger crime that was so thoroughly documented by the people committing it that had no punishment.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
infurating because it was hardly a secret that they were planning something. it was all over their side of social media in the days leading up to it.
This was what drove me crazy. All the Donald trump forums were actively planning this in the open for weeks. They actively took cues from DT whenever he said things needed to be taken into their own hands. He was stoking this for weeks, not just on the day of. And his supporters were listening and planning. Hell, they were out in the open talking about bringing guns to the capitol and how to get around DC gun laws.

Does anyone remember what that DT forum that got popular after the Subreddit got quarantined was?

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Listening to President Biden speak.. you can hear the anger in his voice.

If you dont think he's going to make sure Garland holds EVERYONE accountable, you are mistaken.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I made this on a request by a fellow user last year, so I thought I'd share it again:

5C5QPvZ.jpg

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to President Biden speak.. you can hear the anger in his voice.

If you dont think he's going to make sure Garland holds EVERYONE accountable, you are mistaken.

I want to believe but....it feels like they protect themselves, even those across the aisle, moreso than the people that voted them in.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I want to believe but....it feels like they protect themselves, even those across the aisle, moreso than the people that voted them in.
I've seen enough actions to know that this seems different.
The Jan 6th commission is doing a lot of work that the DOJ is going to use to issue indictments to those involved.

Remember, it took two years to get the people involved in Watergate to face justice. Watergate looks like jaywalking compared to an attempted overthrow of the government.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The rioters, right-wing media people, his WH aides and GoP lawmakers who planned and carried out the attacks are being arrested and jailed, or committing contempt of Congress by ignoring subpoenas, are all going to jail for Trump. Why? What the hell is he promising these people that they are willing to go to jail for him?

I think this section of this Atlantic opinion piece answers your question. They're sticking with Trump because once you go against the network of power, you'll never be let back in:

The network gives power. The aristocracy of the network provides opportunity and security, both materially and spiritually. The network cradles and protects. None of the politicians or journalists or intellectuals who set in motion the past 70 years of failed wars faced any significant consequences for their failures. Quite the opposite. Those who resisted those wars demonstrated that they weren't part of the network and therefore remained excluded even after they were proved right, while those who failed showed that they were reliably part of the network and therefore remained inside. The network responds to external threats by tightening. As long as you belong, you'll be fine.

www.theatlantic.com

How Ivy League Elites Turned Against Democracy

Some of the best-educated people in the country have overseen the destruction of their institutions.