• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Lookit, a bunch of white people threw a shit fit over a guy who sold steaks at a SHARPER FUCKING IMAGE because he lost an election.

OIP.fbh3dJfVDqLE3oi274CDrQHaD4

OIP.fWRtrU7BXYiNgVJ5HFldAgHaEK

116385350_gettyimages-1230465266.jpg

coup-attempt-capitol-building.jpg

capitol1.jpg

And no one responsible has been charged. Not a single one. Nada, Nein, Zilch, fucking no one.

Welcome to 2022.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
the dumbest cult ever

Oct 28, 2017
Its early in the day in the US. Fully prepared for all the absolute asshattery that is gonna come out of the country over the next day.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
All that unfettered access to the Capitol with an ambushed police force and not a single politician got caught up in it. Can't even fucking coup right.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
The Confederate Flag had never been inside the Capitol until that day one year ago

Fuck those pieces of shit and they can rot in prison

Nov 5, 2017
You don't have to remind me. I was working from home that day (obviously), and saw the whole thing play out in real time….I think I also have a recording of it saved on my server, for posterity's sake…crazy times…

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's infuriating that no accountability exists.

That said-this day was fucking insane. Finding out details here and there…

Just felt sick to my stomach the entire time.

All this over Donald fucking Trump of all people…

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Not that long ago, people who failed coups tended to be executed.

Now, nothing happens, and they're allowed to keep plotting their next attempt.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We making threads for the anniversary of "normal tourist visits" now?
www.cnn.com

Analysis: A Republican House member just described January 6 as a 'normal tourist visit'

The Republican Party's attempts to rewrite the history of the January 6 riot at the US Capitol took another dramatic step forward at a Capitol Hill hearing Wednesday, when Georgia Rep. Andrew Clyde (R) suggested that the insurrection was far less serious than it's been portrayed.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Analysis: A Republican House member just described January 6 as a 'normal tourist visit'

The Republican Party's attempts to rewrite the history of the January 6 riot at the US Capitol took another dramatic step forward at a Capitol Hill hearing Wednesday, when Georgia Rep. Andrew Clyde (R) suggested that the insurrection was far less serious than it's been portrayed.

Its especially frustrating because there's literally footage of this guy cowering for his life.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Man, it was nice there for the two whole weeks when the majority of the country seemed to view it as something bad, too.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And then we all just moved on like nothing happened, and none of the people truly responsible will ever face any accountability.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
Can we just forget this day ever happened? I don't want January 6th to be synonymous with some bullshit like this.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.cnn.com

Jl8AMC9.jpg

5GqmkV2.jpg

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
You mean the ;
"Peaceful tourist visit"
"Happy protest"
"Antifa exhibition"
"Demonstration of rights march"

And every other gaslighting, imaginary thing it actually was : A sychophantic assault on Democracy led by white supremacists for the glory of a has-been fraud TV show celebrity masquerading as a dictator.

Oct 31, 2017
I can't help but think that this was only the hyper explicit start, the open overflow, of the American Fascist movement.

I like to think of fascism as a bodily infection: it starts out under the skin of the body (politic), then it starts to be visible with a (literal) white head, only to then ooze and inflame seriously before really starting to spiral out of control if drastic measures aren't done to contain it. January 6th was when we got to "the infection is inflamed and oozing" stage.

I think most Americans still don't fully grasp the gravity of that day and what it meant then and going forward.

NYT Editorial Board Op-Ed - Every Day is Jan. 6 Now
On the surface, we have achieved that. Our political life seems more or less normal these days, as the president pardons turkeys and Congress quarrels over spending bills. But peel back a layer, and things are far from normal. Jan. 6 is not in the past; it is every day.

It is regular citizens who threaten election officials and other public servants, who ask, "When can we use the guns?" and who vow to murder politicians who dare to vote their conscience. It is Republican lawmakers scrambling to make it harder for people to vote and easier to subvert their will if they do. It is Donald Trump who continues to stoke the flames of conflict with his rampant lies and limitless resentments and whose twisted version of reality still dominates one of the nation's two major political parties.
- - -
Whatever happens in Washington, in the months and years to come, Americans of all stripes who value their self-government must mobilize at every level — not simply once every four years but today and tomorrow and the next day — to win elections and help protect the basic functions of democracy. If people who believe in conspiracy theories can win, so can those who live in the reality-based world.

Above all, we should stop underestimating the threat facing the country. Countless times over the past six years, up to and including the events of Jan. 6, Mr. Trump and his allies openly projected their intent to do something outrageous or illegal or destructive. Every time, the common response was that they weren't serious or that they would never succeed. How many times will we have to be proved wrong before we take it seriously? The sooner we do, the sooner we might hope to salvage a democracy that is in grave danger.

Jason Stanley's Recent Op-Ed in The Guardian - America is now in Fascism's Legal Phase
Often, those who employ fascist tactics do so cynically – they do not really believe the enemies they target are so malign, or so powerful, as their rhetoric suggests. Nevertheless, there comes a tipping point, where rhetoric becomes policy. Donald Trump and the party that is now in thrall to him have long been exploiting fascist propaganda. They are now inscribing it into fascist policy.

Fascist propaganda takes place in the US in already fertile ground – decades of racial strife has led to the United States having by far the highest incarceration rate in the world. A police militarized to address the wounds of racial inequities by violence, and a recent history of unsuccessful imperial wars have made us susceptible to a narrative of national humiliation by enemies both internal and external. As WEB Du Bois showed in his 1935 masterwork Black Reconstruction, there is a long history of business elites backing racism and fascism out of self-interest, to divide the working class and thereby destroy the labor movement.

The novel development is that a ruthless would-be autocrat has marshalled these fascist forces and shaped them into a cult, with him as its leader. We are now well into the repercussions of this latter process – where fascist lies, for example, the "big lie" that the 2020 election was stolen, have begun to restructure institutions, notably electoral infrastructure and law. As this process unfolds, slowly and deliberately, the media's normalization of these processes evokes Morrison's tenth and final step: "Maintain, at all costs, silence."
It's been surreal as fuck to witness the fascism in real time and talk all about it to whoever would listen since 2015, only to be dismissed constantly from basically everyone. To the point where I alienated basically everyone I ever knew, but the whole time knowing I was dead right on the money and all these people just couldn't see it. And that they were actively refusing to see it.

My opinion on so many people I knew plummeted dramatically and hasn't wavered, and in the times since 2015, has only gotten worse. And that's fucked up, and it's fucked up that I've known it.

I jettisoned my former "best friend" who was gaslighting the fuck out of me over the fascism, handwaving it and defending it all hard as fuck. Made me sick to my stomach and feel things, dark things, even worse than that. Things that I won't put into writing here, but know that it's not good thoughts. Chilling as fuck, because I feel like these feelings are real, honest, and basically inevitable with how things have gone. And let's just say it fucking terrifies me.

Stay safe everyone and hopefully we can emerge through all of this, but I am not particularly optimistic about the course of things if I am being honest with you all and myself.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It's sad that they also are trying their best at revisionist history shit. "Oh it was antifa/blm actors not real patriots!"

This is what happens when you treat traitors with kid gloves. They get away with it, throw others under the bus to muddy the waters and try again next time until they get what they want.

Dems should have locked GOP Senators outside the building and let the magat hogs eat their own. Fuck them "oh well must hold hands and pretend to be united even though after today these same fucks will have a laugh or pretend they didn't commit treason. Also vote against people's progress on the daily and eal with Joe Manchins". This government is broken beyond repair.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care what anyone say, that dude did tased himself in the balls to death.

mnB980t.jpg

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

This was a good recap and talk on how so much gaslighting has been going on since last year.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Capitol security handled these guys with kid gloves. You think they'd go as easy on BLM protestors?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fox News (my dad's obsessed, so I hear it from the other room...) has been going on and on about how the left is 'milking' that day. As if it was insignificant and we should just forget it. It astounds me lmfao. Imagine if BLM stormed the capital and smashed in windows of government buildings. The GOP would talk about it until the heat death of the universe.

I just can't, man. Republicans are middle schoolers and this country is a joke.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was at work and didn't hear about anything right around the middle of it. I legitimately was afraid living in the US as soon as I found out how bad things had gotten. Our country was so close to a country was Trump would have been our permanent despot.

Between Capitalism and our current political system, bruh, we're just outright rotting inside out.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it better when cults would just drink kool-aid and go to sleep rather than trying to overthrow democracy.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Still can't believe my fucking dad took it upon himself to drive over there on a whim.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look at all of those liberal plants.*

*lol

My favorite moment since then has to be Ben Garrison's quick pivot from cartoon to cartoon. You know the one.

Oct 31, 2017
Still can't believe my fucking dad took it upon himself to drive over there on a whim.
Damn, like he was there to "chat amongst his peers" or "morbid curiosity"? Either way, pretty fucked up honestly, I'm sorry.

I know of some people who were there on that day, and lets just say their presence was fully unsurprising and is basically what I'd quietly suspected of them for years.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to be a misanthrope, but the fact that the people most emboldened to protest or effect change lately (in more "stable" societies) are those who want to make things worse, sucks to say the least.

Oct 31, 2017
Wonder if it'll still be a thing in 400 years like Guy Fawkes night in the UK?
Yes. Unless it's fully whitewashed, which I guess could be possible especially as technological power becomes more entrenched than it already is. It's literally a nation/culture shifting, massively historical moment. Like Guy Fawkes, like the Beer Hall Putsch.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
The bloodshed that would have occurred if they weren't trump supporters. We would still be on lockdown.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I followed that pretty much all day, because January 6th is both public holiday where I live and I got my first Covid shot on the 5th and was on medical leave, anyway.

Scary as hell looking in from Germany. And I see no good way out with the political system crumbling away under siege from legislators and the judical system. Reforms to the US constitution and electoral and legislative processes are long overdue, but doing them NOW in the face of rising facism, how?

Oct 31, 2017
I followed that pretty much all day, because January 6th is both public holiday where I live and I got my first Covid shot on the 5th and was on medical leave, anyway.

Scary as hell looking in from Germany. And I see no good way out with the political system crumbling away under siege from legislators and the judical system. Reforms to the US constitution and electoral and legislative processes are long overdue, but doing them NOW in the face of rising facism, how?
Yeah... it doesn't look too good.

Personally, I've thought we've been locked into the crazy train going off the rails since 2015 and there was not really going to be any effective way (or even enough effective collective will, really) to stop it from going full steam ahead. I've saw all this coming (a coup attempt, some form of large scale public disaster/malfeasance in some fashion) from a mile away and it's been way too fucking surreal.

And it's hard when all the people you've ever really known are clueless at best, and down right subsumed by the fascism at worst. Makes the despair feel even more potent really, especially when it's people you'd historically have respected and/or trusted.