Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, just give me a regular Xbox controller with paddles on the back, and let me use the accessories app to tweak input.

oh and put a gyro in the damn thing

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a fan of a mixed playlist being the only ranked one.
This is going to be the only ranked playlist? If so, bold.

Immediate reaction is positive to that news. Consolidate the hell out of ranked, we don't need many playlists.

And on the subject of playlists, still no word on a match composer huh, or a CGB.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be the only ranked playlist? If so, bold.

Immediate reaction is positive to that news. Consolidate the hell out of ranked, we don't need many playlists.

And on the subject of playlists, still no word on a match composer huh, or a CGB.
For those of us that dislike non flag/assault/oddball I'd rather have a just slayer option.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Trup1aya DeliciousSunnyD! Thanks both for the honest review. Feel like it's definitely not worth the buy for my personal usage, will grab the controller of one of my friend to give it a try before any compulsive purchase then. 🙏

Oct 31, 2017
I'm mixed on ranked only (?) being one encompassing playlist. For now, it feels like akin to making "Team Arena" the only ranked list in Halo 5. In H5, I mostly avoided Team Arena because I was a solo player and it felt like the majority of my time in that playlist was going against 4 stack, ultra sweaty pre-mades which was zero fun. I mostly played Ranked TS as a solo and it felt like it was a nicer experience for solo-q players like myself, even though I'm an objective fan.

I understand playlist brevity being a potential good thing for a game though, so it might be for the best overall if Ranked is limited to one playlist only.

As a player who tends to be more of an in-between of Halo's player preferences (semi-competitive but not hardcore), it feels like right now neither Ranked or Social settings are very compelling to me. Like damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Ranked will probably have tighter matchmaking, will have the input restrictions (?), and probably be more likely to pool you with players in your actual hardware ecosystem. But it will probably be a nightmare experience as a solo player to the point of me probably not even bothering with it, especially if only the hardest of hardcore players are the ones primarily filling the playlist.

Social being just a free-for-all in terms of hardware/input ecosystems, the starting loadouts being not great, and the motion tracker dragging down the gameplay also makes Social not super compelling either.

Sucks, but I'll probably be forced to just tolerate Social for the majority of my time in Infinite and hope there's eventually a better "middle ground" for the kind of people like me.

Trup1aya DeliciousSunnyD! Thanks both for the honest review. Feel like it's definitely not worth the buy for my personal usage, will grab the controller of one of my friend to give it a try before any compulsive purchase then. 🙏
No problem lol. Yeah honestly, they probably aren't worth the money. Unless you really want to take your gameplay/dedication to another level, but even then there are alternatives.

I only bought one for H5 because I just couldn't stand not being able to move and shoot as freely as I wanted to and I have always preferred the feel and build quality of 1st party controllers vs 3rd party. Was def getting killed by some players who could do actions while keeping their thumbs on the sticks so that was why I made the leap.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Between social being AR starts + crossplay and ranked being only HCS settings im a little sad right now, i feel like Halo Infinite wont be the perfect experience it could be because of a few wrong decisions they took, i hope they listen to feedback because there is no way people is really happy with all this.

if I'm not telling bs, past Halo games (at least with Halo 3 and Reach) tried to group you with either solo players or groups depending on your party. It was pretty evident in Halo 3 and Reach where you had a line draw on the right of your players to indicate if they were a group or not:
I haven't followed the conversation that much but i can 100% confirm that was the case, H3 tried really hard to put you against a similarly organized group even if that meant prolonging the search. Its a fantastic feature but only as long as the playerbase is big enough.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Terrible matchmaking, afks, and quitters. Every season I come back and I'm reminded why I don't play as much. Yet, I come back every season...

D2TyLIz.gif

Well at least I have cool armor to teabag Moose. That is what really matters.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, hold the fuck on. You're telling me there's only one ranked playlist? That would be insanity.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I fear for this games legs without a robust customs system.

If the community could run their own servers… I bet you within a day's times, there would be community playlists with more popular social, ranked, and competitive settings.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think it's reasonable to hope for such a feature at launch. I can't honestly think it would have more priority than Forge or Campaign Coop, and none of them are releasing Day One.

With the ressources they have and their (I guess) already huge feature backlog, I think they will focus on robust matchmaking playlist day one, and maybe, we will see this appear a year later.

I fear for this games legs without a robust customs system.

I also fear for the retention rate of this game as well. Truly. And if the retention happens to be low, I just hope Microsoft will not decide it's because Halo is a licence out of touch nowadays, but that they will take into account, the game was missing some importantscommunity features which would have helped with community engagement.

Hopefully I'm very very wrong about all of this.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's reasonable to hope for such a feature at launch. I can't honestly think it would have more priority than Forge or Campaign Coop, and none of them are releasing Day One.

With the ressources they have and their (I guess) already huge feature backlog, I think they will focus on robust matchmaking playlist day one, and maybe, we will see this appear a year later.

I also fear for the retention rate of this game as well. Truly. And if the retention happens to be low, I just hope Microsoft will not decide it's because Halo is a licence out of touch nowadays, but that they will take into account, the game was missing some importantscommunity features which would have helped with community engagement.

Hopefully I'm very very wrong about all of this.

based on the Forge leaks, I think MS and 343 are very aware of how powerful UGC is when it comes to extending a games life cycle. The problem is, Halo has never be good when it comes to systems that help players discover and engage with the content that would interest them most.

hopefully they've looked at how other games have achieved longevity through UGC and incorporated some of those ideas into the Infinite experience.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
based on the Forge leaks, I think MS and 343 are very aware of how powerful UGC is when it comes to extending a games life cycle. The problem is, Halo has never be good when it comes to systems that help players discover and engage with the content that would interest them most.

hopefully they've looked at how other games have achieved longevity through UGC and incorporated some of those ideas into the Infinite experience.

Tbh, I've yet to find a game providing a good discovery experience when it comes to in-game content, no matter being Far Cry, Minecraft or Roblox, I always had to check websites and forums to discover incredible and new content on a weekly basis.

Which game do you think has had a robust in-game search and discovery experience? I'd like to see how their UX and UI for UGC has been made.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I've yet to find a game providing a good discovery experience when it comes to in-game content, no matter being Far Cry, Minecraft or Roblox, I always had to check websites and forums to discover incredible and new content on a weekly basis.

Which game do you think has had a robust in-game search and discovery experience? I'd like to see how their UX and UI for UGC has been made.

I would say Roblox is the best in the business at this point- even though I hate their business model. I don't think you really need a system that directs you to new incredible content weekly. You just need it to direct you to what's trending, and towards communities of players that share your interests.

like I don't need a super robust search engine. But if I type the word obby, I'll quickly find the obstacle courses that people like the most. Better yet, I'll be getting match-made with other people that like these popular obby's rather than trying to LFG or hoping enough people stumble into my custom lobby.

Last edited:

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MCC is free to play for the next two days on all platforms. How do I take advantage of that on Xbox...? I just see the options to buy it or join game pass.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
like I don't need a super robust search engine. But if I type the word obby, I'll quickly find the obstacle courses that people like the most. Better yet, I'll be getting match-made with other people that like these popular obby's rather than trying to LFG or hoping enough people stumble into my custom lobby.

I think I would be happy with a CGB, allowing me to find "tagged" party game, like "Testing gametype", "Fun only allowed", and just wander around random groups playing non-sense thing haha.

Looking at my younger cousin playing Roblox, he actually only play one or two popular mode and doesn't to get bored of them, so I'm wondering if discovering new content is indeed a thing to do, rather than being able to gather with others around what's popular at the moment.

-------

Btw, I was having a discussion with a friend who watched the last Competitive settings video. He was like "Damn, this seems pretty chill to me with BR and no Radar compared to the sweaty flight, will definitely play it".

He's a casual gamer, and I thought this feedback was kind of fun.

But, I keep wondering if the video gave that chill aspect because it was a Stronghold gametype, and you actually have to hold your zone rather than moving around the map like a Slayer gametype.

Also, the BR having a longer TTK compared to the AR (lol) may helps give this impression, but I'm a bit worried the BR will allow cross map sniping and maybe block movement. But AR did the same, so.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

The lineup of items available from King Ice is exciting, featuring a couple of classic weapons from the Halo series along with the iconic Spartan. The options include necklace designs for the Master Chief ($120), Master Chief Helmet ($100), Needler ($80), and Energy Sword ($80). Some of the highlights of the necklaces are 20" 5mm Miami Cuban chains and hundreds of synthetic crystals. In addition, each design is sold in both 14K gold and white finishes. Those interested in purchasing these items might want to act fast, as the Energy Sword Necklace has already sold out.

Master-Chief-Necklace.jpg

Master-Chief-Helmet-Necklace.jpg

Energy-Sword-Necklace.jpg

Needler-Necklace.jpg

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Hope and expectations are different things.
I think I would be happy with a CGB, allowing me to find "tagged" party game, like "Testing gametype", "Fun only allowed", and just wander around random groups playing non-sense thing haha.

Looking at my younger cousin playing Roblox, he actually only play one or two popular mode and doesn't to get bored of them, so I'm wondering if discovering new content is indeed a thing to do, rather than being able to gather with others around what's popular at the moment.

-------

Btw, I was having a discussion with a friend who watched the last Competitive settings video. He was like "Damn, this seems pretty chill to me with BR and no Radar compared to the sweaty flight, will definitely play it".

He's a casual gamer, and I thought this feedback was kind of fun.

But, I keep wondering if the video gave that chill aspect because it was a Stronghold gametype, and you actually have to hold your zone rather than moving around the map like a Slayer gametype.

Also, the BR having a longer TTK compared to the AR (lol) may helps give this impression, but I'm a bit worried the BR will allow cross map sniping and maybe block movement. But AR did the same, so.
No radar can simply allow for a more laid back experience when you're every goddamn move isn't displayed to the enemy.

So many moments in that video would've played out differently (worse imo) with radar.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

For me, I don't see it as a problem that your cousin settled on two popular examples of UGC that he really likes- that's a player retained. That's a system that works. There are many popular games on Roblox and Roblox allowed your cousin to discover two of them that he loves spending a lot of time in. Most importantly there's no resistance keeping your cousin from having other players to enjoy those experiences with. He's instantly matchmade with people who share his interests.

My kid only really deeply engages with 1 or 2 popular Roblox experiences at at time. Right now, it's Piggy and Friday Night Funkin' clones. Before that it was Obstacle courses and survival minigames. Probably in a few weeks, there will be two new things that he gravitates to … one thing is for certain, he'll probably still be playing Roblox months from now, though he probably won't be playing Piggy and FNF.

Halo never had a good system for allowing UGC to become popular, let alone for the average player to find some UGC they like so much that they don't want to leave, and find enough players to play the UGC with instantly. The breakthrough cases have always happened IN SPITE of the poor discovery tools.

I think there is some value in having a barebones CGB. But the reality is, if that's all we have, too much time will be spent wandering into shitty lobbies and quitting out. There needs to be away for quality content to float to the top and build a healthy population without being sanctioned by 343s playlists managers.

It's not really about Exposing players to a constant stream of brand new experiences (though this would be a feature of a decent ugc system for those who want that). It's about facilitating the emergence of experiences that can potentiality be as popular and as gripping as the official content... and that just can't happen if ugc is relegated drop-in drop-out lobbies and external LFG.

Last edited:

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
man, that ResetEra Ownership Update thread has me wondering if we shoulda stayed at SLAENT... for the 2nd time, lol

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if Doubles is going to be present and actually forward facing in Infinite, or if it's going to be treated like it has been for what's felt like a decade+.

2v2 Halo is some of my absolute favorite, and it makes me kind of sad/mad that it's been kind of forgotten.

They've renewed focus on "BTB" in Halo, but what about on the other end of the spectrum?

Are any of the 4v4 maps even going to work well for Doubles though period? I think of the ones we've played on so far, Live Fire and Recharge would probably be okay honestly.

The short lived Community(?) Doubles playlist in H5 that featured a bunch of really great Forge maps for 2v2 was some of the most fun I had in the game honestly and was crushed when it disappeared.

And what about 6v6 Squad Battle? That's another less focused on, less appreciated player count that I also think works really well in Halo but has also been kind of tossed to the wayside. Behemoth in particular made me think it'd be really fun with teams of 6. Would love to see the return of 6v6 and it be supported decently okay too, even if it didn't get too much focus. Just a few larger 4v4 maps that'd support teams of 6 players would be alright like Behemoth.
man, that ResetEra Ownership Update thread has me wondering if we shoulda stayed at SLAENT... for the 2nd time, lol
It's not particularly good news or a good look for this community on-the-whole, no matter how you slice it. Everything about it smells awful to me honestly.

From the hazy "community ran" premise the site was built on only for the whole thing to wind up consolidated and enriching one person's wallet primarily.

The "good cause" Era Clear subscriptions to "help keep the lights on" when it all just really feels like it was about further lining pockets (I feel bad for anyone who ponied up their money to the "cause").

The poisoned discourse around the community users and moderation where IMHO both groups share plenty blame for conditions around here degrading across a variety of topics/communities.

The whole "I've been sick/have struggled with mental health so please feel sympathy for me and all my hard work/I've done this for the best interests of YOU (and me)" from the primarily sole (and mostly faceless to this community) profiteer off of the forum as they are bailing from the plane with their golden parachute feels super gross.

That the business who now owns the site primarily owns two sectors of "gaming sites", gambling gaming websites and MMOs/MOBAs/"collector" games (notice a commonality between these?). And how the various forums this company has acquired fosters the kind of community and discourse totally antithetical to this place (IMHO). How this company was a "perfect fit" for this community (yeah, O.K.). How they are looking to increase profit generation on this community, despite it being slow, stagnant, and even shedding userbase growth.

They are trying to desperately keep expectations in check to not have a mass exodus once again, but I think it's fully undeniable that this community is going to change and for the worse. That the floodgates are going to be opened to the worst kind of "internet denizen" because that is where the money is made.

I'm going to stick around for now, but if it all starts to smell too bad it'll just be time to bail. I figure the new corporate ownership is going to take a "boil the frog" tack to all of this, where they make very subtle incremental changes to how things operate around here, chipping away at the community's core identity slowly over time. This way it'll keep most people in the boiling water, unaware that their environment is shifting around them for the worst.

Also, you just have got to love (read: seriously dislike) how quiet and non-transparent this all was. It could be so much more visible to the broader community, but nah, it's just going to be a notification separate from the primary forums themselves and the message is posted at Friday midnight as a literal Friday news dump ("but that's when the new corporate owners business day starts!!!").

Def not a good look at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Customs Browser isn't working properly when creating games. It never gets my settings right when hosting servers, but it works in private matches.

Anyone hear anything about this?

EDIT: I think it's the pre-game lobby that was confusing me, didn't know that was a thing lol.

Last edited:

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
The "good cause" Era Clear subscriptions to "help keep the lights on" when it all just really feels like it was about further lining pockets (I feel bad for anyone who ponied up their money to the "cause").

I actually subscribed to ERA Clear even if I had a Ad Blocker, mostly because I believed the Forum owner(s) needed money to keep the Forum alive (I know how much web server can be costly) and wasn't aware they were actually making up to 700.000$/year only via ads. If I did, well, I don't think I would have.

Not gonna lie, I feel a bit cheated, maybe I'm way too candide, but I always thought ResetERA was a community initiative after NeoGAF exodus and that it was run by a commitee and being kept alive by the community fees (and also some ads, but since I had AdBlocker, I never saw how horrible the ads were). I should have checked.

I'm afraid of another exodus, since ERA is the last gaming forum I check on a daily basis and I truly like it. I know I wouldn't bother on a Halo only forum, and when I went back to GAF to see if anything changed, the forum felt pretty dead.

Oct 31, 2017
I actually subscribed to ERA Clear even if I had a Ad Blocker, mostly because I believed the Forum owner(s) needed money to keep the Forum alive (I know how much web server can be costly) and wasn't aware they were actually making up to 700.000$/year only via ads. If I did, well, I don't think I would have.

Not gonna lie, I feel a bit cheated, maybe I'm way too candide, but I always thought ResetERA was a community initiative after NeoGAF exodus and that it was run by a commitee and being kept alive by the community fees (and also some ads, but since I had AdBlocker, I never saw how horrible the ads were). I should have checked.

I'm afraid of another exodus, since ERA is the last gaming forum I check on a daily basis and I truly like it. I know I wouldn't bother on a Halo only forum, and when I went back to GAF to see if anything changed, the forum felt pretty dead.
Yeah, it's probably best not to speak too much about all of this honestly, especially in unrelated topics. But I sympathize.

I never gave money to that initiative personally, and I'm not super tapped into a ton of things around the site and various drama. I'm with you in being under the casual assumption that this site didn't just have a sole owner, but it wasn't like I was fixated about something like that.

It all definitely kind of feels like a hoodwink though.

Rally the old community as the ship is sinking, gather a group of people to get the new community off the ground, present the new community as a place that's by the community, for the community and with a focus on "transparency". Give off the perception that the place doesn't just have one sole owner to avoid falling into a similar trap as the last place. Then one person kind of quietly (was this ever really broadcast to the community?) absorbs all of the shares and profits generated by the site making cash hand over fist, only to bail in the cover of the night for millions of dollars.

Regarding being worried about another exodus, I understand that. I'd primarily lurked GAF since about 2006 or so, getting an account in 09 but I was still mostly a lurker instead of a poster. So this community has been my main online hangout for around 15 years in terms of where I read a lot of content/opinions. I only started being a more regular poster when this site came to be, so for it to blow up would definitely be very sad.

I do casually read Beyond and it's technically an off-shoot of this community, but I don't have an account there nor do I really want to have one honestly. I can understand some positions of some people in that community, but man, it really does feel hyper toxic towards 343 there and any of their decision making. Plus, it like here (and most forums) has been on the downswing for awhile. I've been lurking there since it was born out of its original site. So yeah, I probably wouldn't bother with any other Halo community on the web either honestly.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A place like Era or old gaf is hard to maintain. This many disparate communities all with their own needs, wants, mindsets and culture not to mention personalities and behaviors was always gonna clash and have issues. Let alone it being one of the few bastions of left wing ness on the internet.

Frankly, I'm amazed it's lasted this long.

Vico

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
It's hard to maintain, but goddamn I hope Resetera stays the same or something new takes over.

I dislike specific forums (despite only really engaging in Xbox stuff over here) because I like to still have an easy access to the rest of the gaming world (and more). And the Resetera-style suits me so well, I really really hate stuff like Reddit.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Really not interested in any other moves, or joining spin-offs, unless like, we get another sex pest willing to join up with Nazis just because everyone was "mean" to them.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna start commenting on the sale writ large, but I'll say this: if the new owners start moving in directions staff is uncomfortable with, y'all will hear about it. One of the big things about them is apparently that they don't really do that, but still. Place isn't gonna start making dramatic changes unless something goes very badly wrong.

Now get back on topic you nerds.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna start commenting on the sale writ large, but I'll say this: if the new owners start moving in directions staff is uncomfortable with, y'all will hear about it. One of the big things about them is apparently that they don't really do that, but still. Place isn't gonna start making dramatic changes unless something goes very badly wrong.

Now get back on topic you nerds.
Yeah let's talk about how great AR starts are!

Green

Oct 27, 2017
PLEASE put a toggle to turn off Forge maps in MCC in the composer there. How do you add official merging to Halo 3 Forge but like 90% of my games are on these jank OG Forge maps. I don't want to play them at all plz

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE put a toggle to turn off Forge maps in MCC in the composer there. How do you add official merging to Halo 3 Forge but like 90% of my games are on these jank OG Forge maps. I don't want to play them at all plz

Agreed, I hate forge maps especially the ones in the Sandbox crypt god they are complete trash.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I dislike specific forums (despite only really engaging in Xbox stuff over here) because I like to still have an easy access to the rest of the gaming world (and more). And the Resetera-style suits me so well, I really really hate stuff like Reddit.

Pretty much the same, unless it's a very close community where you know each members, like it's a family reunion. But yeah, usually, specific forums tend to have similar state of mind and way of thinking which isn't really appealing to me.

And don't get me started about Reddit being a substitute to forums haha, I honestly don't know how people can use Reddit as such. Wish I could understand, but so far, Reddit has been a (enjoyable) 9GAG alternative, but no much.

Thing I like about ERA is that it's home to many sub-communities, being Halo, Apex, FranceERA & such, but you also get a ton of things from other fields, such as gaming news, cultural stuff & cie, without a damn algorithm selecting content "catered to you". As you, it suits me pretty well, like NeoGAF did back in the days.

I do casually read Beyond and it's technically an off-shoot of this community, but I don't have an account there nor do I really want to have one honestly. I can understand some positions of some people in that community, but man, it really does feel hyper toxic towards 343 there and any of their decision making.

I honestly don't know how you did haha. I gave Beyond a try, and it was way too toxic and bro oriented to be a welcoming place for the casual Halo player I am. Maybe more competitive type found their home there, and I'm glad for them, but it was pretty much a dead end for me. Maybe not a bad thing for my mental health haha.

We had a very similar community in France called Halorigine, which was Esport and Competitive oriented. During LANs and Events, the community and members were adorable, we have a lot of good memories, and always went for a drink or two when we were meeting. But online, on the HG forums? Oh my god, it was a no-man's land.

Funny thing, after your post, I went to check Beyond, and discovered they moved a lot from Halo, but when you type "Team Beyond" in Google, the Halo Forum is the very first link provided, thought it was kind of funny actually:

1634391206-capture-d-ecran-2021-10-16-a-03-25-56.png

I'm not gonna start commenting on the sale writ large, but I'll say this: if the new owners start moving in directions staff is uncomfortable with, y'all will hear about it.

Good thing to read. I'm not so much worried about changes being made to the site, I think MOBA wouldn't want to make changes so big it would make them lose the reach this forum has and so why they bought it.

One thing this "news" brought to me is the ability to discover many other forums shared around here, and realising how really good the ergonomy and overall UX of ResetERA forum is, being really on top of everything else in this area. Never before did I found a forum so well made regarding features and easy to use navigation, to the point that I had to create custom CSS files for the other forums to adapt them to my usage, well, to the usage ResetERA made me love regarding forums at least.

The short lived Community(?) Doubles playlist in H5 that featured a bunch of really great Forge maps for 2v2 was some of the most fun I had in the game honestly and was crushed when it disappeared.

And what about 6v6 Squad Battle? That's another less focused on, less appreciated player count that I also think works really well in Halo but has also been kind of tossed to the wayside. Behemoth in particular made me think it'd be really fun with teams of 6.

Behemoth worked surprisingly well when hosting 8v8 bots games on it, but they were ODST levels bots, sure that with real players, it might be a bit too crowded, but I definitely this maps working exceptionally well as a 6v6 environment. But I feel like I was part of the very few to actually adore this map, so I'm not expecting 343 to have too much of this kind of map in the final game (please 343, prove me wrong, this is one of the best map you ever created 🙏).

Feel like 2v2 would work surprisingly well in Infinite, especially on maps live Livefire and Recharge, because those two maps felt like Halo CE maps to me, in a sense that they were quite small and not really adapted to 4v4, unless you're looking for very pressured matches.

Honestly, Infinite is such in a weird place to me. I feel like it has all the perfect elements for a great Halo; if not the best; but they aren't mixed in the correct order.

Halo 3 has like 27 dev maps and for some reason half our games are on sandbox forge, it's horrible

Yeah, MCC matchmaking would need a good refresh regarding maps. There're so many maps available, for I have the feeling I've always been playing the same 10 maps no matter the settings I select from the social composer. Such a shame for a game with soooo much content.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Didn;t see this posted anywhere - theater overhaul? Looking nice (though obviously a work in progress LOL)

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
ODST Firefight is so damn good. Fucking perfect.

The perfect quick session... the perfect marathon session. Perfect for solo. Perfect to chill/sweat with friends. Perfect.

It's a shame they massacred my boy with each subsequent outing.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
ODST FF is good because the difficulty ramps nicely. I also don't mind Reach FF, while it's not as good as ODST it can still be enjoyable. H4 went Spartan Ops
and H5 WZ FF was just bullet sponge enemies

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Purchased an Series X after skipping the Xone generation. Replayed Halo 2 (Anniversary) and man that was nostalgic as hell. But beamrifle jackals and the flood still fucking suck lol.

Anyways is Halo Wars 2 ( and the expansion) a easy recommend?

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
I think it is a good game, just not as memorable as Hw1. The gameplay is as solid as the first entry in the series, the first cutscenes are fantastic and had me really hyped but after introducing the main enemy it just doesnt have that much of a story, they introduce the Banished with very good cutscenes and then the game stopped being interesting for me.

I hope the next entries deliver in that regars since the banished have such a cool lore.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Didn;t see this posted anywhere - theater overhaul? Looking nice (though obviously a work in progress LOL)

Pretty cool to see a preview of highlights/events in the timeline. Just hope that they went back to the player view instead of H5's server view.

Easy recommend for people who like RTS games and Halo. It also prepares you about the Banished forces in Halo Infinite, if you do care about that.

Personally, I find it slightly weaker than HW1 in terms of mission design, but the unit variety and story still make it a solid game. I also found the Awakening the Nighmare expansion to be really good.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Is Halo 2 Anniversary on PC campaign known for random single digit framedrops?

It happened once or twice in CE but Halo 2 has been ridiculous. Probably 5 or 6 times a session, it'll just randomly drop my framerate from 144 to 40~ then 5~ and jump back to 144 in a second. It's really jarring. Makes me feel bad about the new PC I just built. 😂😭

darthbob

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
Nov 20, 2017
Is Halo 2 Anniversary on PC campaign known for random single digit framedrops?

It happened once or twice in CE but Halo 2 has been ridiculous. Probably 5 or 6 times a session, it'll just randomly drop my framerate from 144 to 40~ then 5~ and jump back to 144 in a second. It's really jarring. Makes me feel bad about the new PC I just built. 😂😭
H2A runs really well on my rig, but I haven't tried a ton of it out since the new patch. With the new update, it's possible something happened with H2A, but historically it has run rather smoothly.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Doing a play through of the previous Halo games, and god - Halo 2 and Halo 3 still stand up as phenomenal games! Going to take a break before diving into ODST and Reach, though.

One observation I had, however, is that I honestly think the Energy Sword in Halo Infinite looks worse than even that of Halo 3's. Anyone know what is going on there?

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
I honestly think the Energy Sword in Halo Infinite looks worse than even that of Halo 3's. Anyone know what is going on there?
Its just that H3 has fantastic effects and lighting. While Halo Infinite looks really good you can tell they just focused in having good environments, character models and map lighting but the effects, particles and little details are really lacking.

H3 is still the best looking Halo game in a lot of departments: particles, explosions, explosive effects... i has been weird playing Reach, H4, H5 and HI and seeing so much downgrades, some Halo Infinite Explosions are just blue play-doh with almost no effects or light.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Its just that H3 has fantastic effects and lighting. While Halo Infinite looks really good you can tell they just focused in having good environments, character models and map lighting but the effects, particles and little details are really lacking.

H3 is still the best looking Halo game in a lot of departments: particles, explosions, explosive effects... i has been weird playing Reach, H4, H5 and HI and seeing so much downgrades, some Halo Infinite Explosions are just blue play-doh with almost no effects or light.
Completely agree on the explosions piece - the grenades in particular are quite disappointing. Love Infinite and what I have played so far, but there are definitely areas that are lacking

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just don't talk about the models.

250px-Lordhoodhalo.JPG

Frightful.