Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will, in so far that the gameplay is going to be quite different.

For example no-scopes with the sniper just aren't going to be exciting anymore - It's no different for a mouse user to getting a headshot with a pistol.

i think it'll still be exciting… people will still miss shots due to the opponents movement.

You're right, it will be different, but maybe not in a bad way. I think the fight to control the sniper will be that much more intense. We'll see.

would be cool to see a sniper rifle that requires a prolonged headshot gain prominence. The shock rifle is like that, but I'm not sure how well the electrical damage would work in competitive.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
i think it'll still be exciting… people will still miss shots due to the opponents movement.

You're right, it will be different, but maybe not in a bad way. I think the fight to control the sniper will be that much more intense. We'll see.

would be cool to see a sniper rifle that requires a prolonged headshot gain prominence. The shock rifle is like that, but I'm not sure how well the electrical damage would work in competitive.
I'm sure people will miss shots but the fact is that it'll be no more difficult to hit a headshot with the sniper than the pistol on PC.

That's going to really sap the excitement imo because it's just not going to be impressive.

For example here are some clips of a decent player on PC:

If this player were on console some of these clips would be "holy fucking shit, how?" level clips. But because it's on PC it's just not as impressive - like, some of them are nice shots but it doesn't have anywhere near the same impact.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people will miss shots but the fact is that it'll be no more difficult to hit a headshot with the sniper than the pistol on PC.

That's going to really sap the excitement imo because it's just not going to be impressive.

If this player were on console some of these clips would be "holy fucking shit, how?" level clips. But because it's on PC it's just not as impressive - like, some of them are nice shots but it doesn't have anywhere near the same impact.

Heres Frosty doing at least as impressive stuff

Now obviously sniping from a m&k will be easier, I'm just not sure at the top level it's going to be significant - especially to the viewer. It's certainly a concern though.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it again.

Crossplay on something like Halo 3 seems fairly even.

Controller gets a ton of assist. MKB does not. It was a game designed for controllers.

Crossplay on Infinite did not. Due to a much lower assist on controllers. If this game was controller only, it would be AWESOME. But its not so it seems like MKB has an advantage. I am dogshit on MKB and even I had an easier time with the pistol especially at range.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Heres Frosty doing at least as impressive stuff

Now obviously sniping from a m&k will be easier, I'm just not sure at the top level it's going to be significant - especially to the viewer. It's certainly a concern though.

I'm certainly more impressed by that frosty clip because he hit it with a controller.

However, that'd be nothing with a mouse.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Update change log for MCC Season 8 https://support.halowaypoint.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407245081620

A ton of graphical fixes with this one.

Big one
Looks like Flood and Elites in ODST Firefight didn't make the cut. I know the Flood had a lot of bugs, so that's not surprising, but the only issue with Elites as far as I recall was that their behaviors were super simple. Changing that kind of stuff seems out-of-scope, so I wonder if they're just being dropped? Or if there were just bugs I didn't see.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

this looks like a typical pub stomping video.

i honestly think a good KbM player would have much more trouble in close quarters trying to snipe 3 pros who excel at movement and are focusing fire on their position.

I'm much more worried about the social experience than I am the competitive experience. The pros will push whatever input method to the absolute limits and it'll be awesome.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
this looks like a typical pub stomping video.

i honestly think a good KbM player would have much more trouble in close quarters trying to snipe 3 pros who excel at movement and are focusing fire on their position.

I'm much more worried about the social experience than I am the competitive experience. The pros will push whatever input method to the absolute limits and it'll be awesome.
Of course it'll be more difficult - but that Twitter video wasn't from a pro.

This video also isn't from a pro - it's some random YouTube channel with less than 30 subs but the speed and accuracy they hit with a mouse is just ridiculous:

youtu.be

AimLab Gridshot Ultimate 140k (CHILL ROUTINE)

res - 1280x1024sens - 0.465 / 800 dpi / 1000hz / windows 6/11game: Valorant#aimlab #gridshot

A pro PC FPS player is going to completely dominate with the sniper in Infinite. I suspect the first time we see a pro mouse player pick up the sniper it'll be awesome but I think it will also very quickly become rather dull.

Ultimately though the problem is that for a mouse there is absolutely no balancing applied to make the sniper any more challenging than any other precision weapons.

Imagine if for Halo 5 the HCS team decided to make the DMR a 1 shot kill, cut the ammo count down a bit and then put that on the map as a power weapon. It'd be stupid and it wouldn't be fun to watch. That's basically what the sniper will be in Infinite.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it'll be more difficult - but that Twitter video wasn't from a pro.

This video also isn't from a pro - it's some random YouTube channel with less than 30 subs but the speed and accuracy they hit with a mouse is just ridiculous:

youtu.be

AimLab Gridshot Ultimate 140k (CHILL ROUTINE)

res - 1280x1024sens - 0.465 / 800 dpi / 1000hz / windows 6/11game: Valorant#aimlab #gridshot

A pro PC FPS player is going to completely dominate with the sniper in Infinite. I suspect the first time we see a pro mouse player pick up the sniper it'll be awesome but I think it will also very quickly become rather dull.

Ultimately though the problem is that for a mouse there is absolutely no balancing applied to make the sniper any more challenging than any other precision weapons.

Imagine if for Halo 5 the HCS team decided to make the DMR a 1 shot kill, cut the ammo count down a bit and then put that on the map as a power weapon. It'd be stupid and it wouldn't be fun to watch. That's basically what the sniper will be in Infinite.

i understand what your saying , I just don't think it will Eliminate the excitement, it'll just shift what exactly we get excited about.

maybe a single no scope isn't as exciting, but someone going up against a sniper and winning would be. Or the fight to control the sniper would be more exciting because of how lethal it is… just like the fight for rockets is now.

also, it's not like it sniper will stop being most rewarding when it's in the hands of the most skilled - the most skilled people will just be able to do even crazier shit with it then we're used to seeing.

the guy in this clip is great at playing this mini-game, but that doesn't mean he'd be a pro level halo sniper. He's stationary , and there are no pro level opponents dealing damage and interrupting his focus.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
i understand what your saying , I just don't think it will Eliminate the excitement, it'll just shift what exactly we get excited about.

maybe a single no scope isn't as exciting, but someone going up against a sniper and winning would be. Or the fight to control the sniper would be more exciting because of how lethal it is… just like the fight for rockets is now.

also, it's not like it sniper will stop being most rewarding when it's in the hands of the most skilled - the most skilled people will just be able to do even crazier shit with it then we're used to seeing.
I just can't think of much which would even approach "crazy".

To use the DMR analogy again - would we be impressed by a pro player quickly cleaning up a few no-shields players with the DMR? No, because we expect them to be able to easily hit headshots with the DMR.

It's not just the sniper though. I think in general pro players are going to struggle to miss in this game. The team shot meta will be so strong.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't think of much which would even approach "crazy".

To use the DMR analogy again - would we be impressed by a pro player quickly cleaning up a few no-shields players with the DMR? No, because we expect them to be able to easily hit headshots with the DMR.

It's not just the sniper though. I think in general pro players are going to struggle to miss in this game. The team shot meta will be so strong.

I can't see this being the case at all. You look at other PC Shooters, like CS:GO and RB6:Siege its not "easy" to land headshots all day. That's what makes pistol kills so hype.

Pro players survived Halo 2 and Halo 5s ridiculous sniper aim assists, they'll be fine with fighting to control the 1HK precision weapon

I think we're supposed to see some high level play this week. Hopefully there's some mkb sniper footage

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see this being the case at all. You look at other PC Shooters, like CS:GO and RB6:Siege its not "easy" to land headshots all day. That's what makes pistol kills so hype.

Pro players survived Halo 2 and Halo 5s ridiculous sniper aim assists, they'll be fine with fighting to control the 1HK precision weapon

I think we're supposed to see some high level play this week. Hopefully there's some mkb sniper footage
Those games have systems to make hitting shots more difficult - spread patterns for example. Halo doesn't have anything like that.

H2/5's sniper aim assist won't be ridiculous at all in comparison to Infinite. It'd be like giving the H5 sniper in hip fire the same amount of aim assist and bullet magnetism as the pistol.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Those games have systems to make hitting shots more difficult - spread patterns for example. Halo doesn't have anything like that.

H2/5's sniper aim assist won't be ridiculous at all in comparison to Infinite. It'd be like giving the H5 sniper in hip fire the same amount of aim assist and bullet magnetism as the pistol.

Of course in halo, we don't want spread on precision weapons… recoil is about the only acceptable thing, but is pointless on a sniper with such a low rate of fire anyway. You also don't want movement penalties.

I don't think your analogy rings true because absent all aim-assist, the pistols rate of fire and magazine size grants a larger margin of error and the closer the opponent is, the harder it is to track their movements. As always, I'm more concerned about the sidekick being weak than I am about the sniper being to strong.

ill also note, we don't know what weapons will be on maps. I'm excited to see things like the shock rifle- which requires players to track the head through the entire shot, which would be more beneficial to controller users than KbM users.

Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why Steam disabled overall reviews for MCC and they only allow DLC reviews.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
So you're telling me I'll have to play ranked to enjoy BR first, no-radar and no crossplay with PC players, aka the best settings so far but in a very sweaty environment? Why 😭

I'll wait the stream to share a final statement, but damn, if only they could announce slight changes for the Sidekick and the AR at the occasion.

Dec 21, 2017
So you're telling me I'll have to play ranked to enjoy BR first, no-radar and no crossplay with PC players, aka the best settings so far but in a very sweaty environment? Why 😭

I'll wait the stream to share a final statement, but damn, if only they could announce slight changes for the Sidekick and the AR at the occasion.
Yeah, I'm only playing ranked if social is trash AR starts.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
So, I didn't bother trying the Stalker Rifle and the Thruster in custom games during the Flight, was having way too much fun with Grapple on Behemoth, but checking this video, those two seems really cool:

Stalker Rifle feels like a 1:1 DMR with 4 headshots kill & overheat instead of Bloom, which I like very much, and Thruster doesn't seem as OP and unpredictable as in Halo 5, really curious to give them a try, but first impression viewing this video made me quite happy those 2 additions.

EDIT: Seems like 3 shots kill instead? If so, maybe a good Halo CE pistol alternative instead of the Mangler?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

It sucks. But if you train yourself not to care about results, ranked will be the most chill environment to play.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting Theorry's post:

• The BR75 will be the starting weapon.
  • Motion Tracker will be disabled.
  • Grenade Hitmarkers will be disabled.
  • Friendly Fire will be turned on.
  • Modes will be Slayer, Capture the Flag, Strongholds, and Oddball.
  • Weapons, equipment, and grenades on maps will be set on static spawners meaning they will always appear in the same location on each map and mode combination, and will respawn at the same intervals.

www.halowaypoint.com

Ranked / Competitive Reveal

<p>Hey everyone – this is Tashi from the Esports team here at 343. First, we’d just like to thank everyone once again for participating in the most recent Halo Infinite Technical Previews, your time and support goes a long way towards ensuring a smooth launch later this year. We understand that...

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
It sucks. But if you train yourself not to care about results, ranked will be the most chill environment to play.

I don't care much about my W/L ratio tbh, as long I'm having a decent game. But I'm just afraid I'll be matched against groups of 4 players in Ranked, while I'll be matched with Random, and be stomped especially without the radar putting an heavier emphasis on communication.

I'm glad Radar is out tbh, even if I was expecting the Combat Sensor from the 1st flight to be there in competitive.

But, you'll say I guess, even in Social, we're actually matched against groups of players when we're playing solo, so I guess it won't change anything between social and ranked, and Ranked might ends up the less sweaty of the two...

We have a saying for this in French: Choosing between plague and cholera...

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the population will be big enough to justify ranked solo queue.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care much about my W/L ratio tbh, as long I'm having a decent game. But I'm just afraid I'll be matched against groups of 4 players in Ranked, while I'll be matched with Random, and be stomped especially without the radar putting an heavier emphasis on communication.

I'm glad Radar is out tbh, even if I was expecting the Combat Sensor from the 1st flight to be there in competitive.

But, you'll say I guess, even in Social, we're actually matched against groups of players when we're playing solo, so I guess it won't change anything between social and ranked, and Ranked might ends up the less sweaty of the two...

Haha hopefully ranked MM considers party sizes... I think they eventually included that in Halo5 right? Might have been to late for it to actually make a difference though.

Also, I really hope people ping to try to close the communication gap. I mapped it to a paddle on my Elite controller, but RIP to anyone using a standard controller.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

Surely this is the choice you make playing pretty much any game online but solo. It's the nature of it, unless there's a specific low/no group playlist.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico

I'm thinking maybe there was an intention to have the Combat Sensor in ranked, but only if the community embraced it in social also. I guess it would be more confusing to have 2 different kind of radars in matchmaking vs no radar-motion tracker

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Hard for me to care about ranked given I know it'll be the smallest pool of players and at a certain point you'll be sweating your balls off every match. Hearing the guy say something along the lines of having a utility weapon to defend yourself with off spawn was funny though.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find it disappointing how they praise a lack of motion tracker in this video with how much of a positive impact it has on gameplay, but it's only stuck in ranked:

www.youtube.com

✂️ No Motion Tracker is better for gameplay

23 seconds · Clipped by iXi Club // FUNKNOWN · Original video "Halo Infinite Competitive Settings Reveal" by HALO

And how they talk about creativity in approaches, damn:

www.youtube.com

✂️ No Motion Tracker across the board

29 seconds · Clipped by iXi Club // FUNKNOWN · Original video "Halo Infinite Competitive Settings Reveal" by HALO

No motion tracker across the board. So many key moments you could tell would play out differently (less interesting imo) if motion tracker was enabled.

Oct 31, 2017
I might get heat/hatred for this, but I honestly think that Halo 5 had it better with its idea of mode settings. That there shouldn't be so much of a dichotomy between Ranked and Social, that there should be more parity. Ranked shouldn't suffer for Social, I get it, but core Halo Social also shouldn't just be so damn stupid IMHO.

AR + Pistol starts in this game could be good, but they've clearly designed both of those weapons in such a way that the AR is stupid easy AND stupid effective, while the pistol is mostly worthless outside of cleaning up kills or getting right in any enemy's face and spamming the trigger.

I personally think that the game would play best across all modes, Ranked and Social, if they just gave the player a more competent, 2X scoped, but not overly effective pistol while keeping the AR easy to use but reducing its lethal effectiveness. Basically making it so a novice would be primarily running around with the AR out as their primary off spawn, the pistol as a back-up, with skill players reversing the role preference of the two guns. That designing these two guns in this way, while leaving the BR as a more niche, but also potent vertical upgrade from the starting loadout would be a better way to go for the game.

I was secretly hoping that they would unveil a new magnum or a semi-auto, lower powered, slower shooting rifle to be Ranked setting's primary utility precision weapon rather than the BR. But I knew that was a total pipe dream. I just think the BR is too good/easy to use honestly, and that there's a space for a weapon that has more utility off spawn than the current Sidekick, but isn't quite as easy to use as the BR or as strong potentially as the Commando. Basically a slightly less effective H5 Magnum weapon archetype.

I think that friendly fire and no grenade hit markers should be the default across both Ranked and Social. Same for teammate physical interaction.

I also don't really care for the fact that maps in Social have changing weapon spawns while Ranked maps are totally fixed. Though this isn't that big of a deal tbh.

Controversially, I think that both ranked and social should just use the combat sensor radar as, to me, it's the perfect compromise between giving more info without giving too much (see: forcing both slow and fast play to be more considerate in use), while allowing for outplays/flanks yet punishing extreme aping aggression. Like Sal's jump from bottom mid to Stronghold A with sword looks cool, flashy, and skilled, but honestly it's kind of obnoxious IMO (especially for that guy defending A lol). To me, that just made me think of jetpacks on Boardwalk from Reach, and how if the combat tracker was a thing, he'd be less likely to do a move like that because there'd be more risk for the hyper aggression and instead he'd be more likely to actually navigate through the map's geometry up to A (or use the more obvious and potentially riskier grappleshot to do the same kind of cross map skip).

I just think that the combat tracker's effects on the game's pace is the perfect sweet spot, where motion tracker slows things down way too much and no radar's pace might potentially be too fast. Without radar, I figure the pace of this game's Ranked meta will get to a spot similar as what happened in H5 where players are just flying around maps like crazy, with less of a focus on methodical play. That was precisely why the spartan ability tracker became a thing in H5 after awhile. We'll see though.

With the combat sensor being a thing, and just the general game design/balance, it def feels like there was an internal struggle over this exact kind of philosophy for the game. Of whether they should have parity between Ranked/Social or if they should hard cleave a dichotomy between them. That the people arguing for mode settings differentiation were the ones who succeeded, and as a result the radar got reverted to motion tracker cause why the fuck not? If Social is going to be stupid/brainless, might as well go all the way, right?

Oh well, it'll be fine. I'm sure most of the competitive community is more than happy with this. But as someone who probably spends their time about equally between Ranked and Social playlists, these setting choices are kind of frustrating to me personally. I just think that both Ranked and Social would just work better with settings parity and an AR/Pistol/semi-auto utility starting loadout that wasn't obviously designed to be the kiddie pool/training wheels. That the AR can still fulfill that "training wheel" role without being so effective lethally, and the pistol can be more effective, without going into H5 mag territory where in the right hands it can best any other on map weapon (aside from power weapons) in the majority of on map combat ranges.

There's shit I like and dislike about both settings styles in this game, and it's honestly pretty frustrating but oh well! Like why does Social settings have to be brainless and bad, while Ranked settings are the polar opposite end? Can't there be more of a happy medium for the core game's identity?

This all said, the Social standings as they are right now are definitely worse.

Last edited:

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Also, I really hope people ping to try to close the communication gap. I mapped it to a paddle on my Elite controller, but RIP to anyone using a standard controller.

Never before did I feel the need to use Elite Controller. While playing the Flight and wishing to be able to use the Ping feature, it (almost) shifted my mind to buy the Infinite Elite Controller. Now, I'm considering it even more haha.

But I just don't know if it's worst the buy. Not that I care about the price, just wondering if it's not a bit too high level for me, especially if it's just for one feature in one game, and especially if I'm the only one on the team using it. Do you feel like it was worth the buy overall for your personal use?

Surely this is the choice you make playing pretty much any game online but solo. It's the nature of it, unless there's a specific low/no group playlist.

x2gtga2t23u21.jpg

Joke aside (didn't want to be rude with this picture, it's just for comedic purpose), if I'm not telling bs, past Halo games (at least with Halo 3 and Reach) tried to group you with either solo players or groups depending on your party. It was pretty evident in Halo 3 and Reach where you had a line draw on the right of your players to indicate if they were a group or not:

maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality picture, couldn't find a better one, but I think it's enough to see what I'm referring to. This was kind of dropped since Halo 5, and the Flights for Infinite felt like it continued on this way.

This is mostly why Halo was pretty enjoyable no matter with who you were playing or not, it was always trying to find a suitable party for you and was taking the party size into account.

Of course, if there weren't enough players, you could end up matching with groups of 4, but it wasn't random and more like a last resort to put you into a multiplayer game.

I'm thinking maybe there was an intention to have the Combat Sensor in ranked, but only if the community embraced it in social also. I guess it would be more confusing to have 2 different kind of radars in matchmaking vs no radar-motion tracker

I think you're definitely right there, or maybe that they always thought about ditching the radar in Ranked, but that at least, if the community had welcomed the Combat Sensor, they would have kept it for Ranked in the end.

Wonder how the player base will react to no Grenade Hit Maker. I mean, not react on Forums & such, but in the game, feel like it could be pretty confusing to get them in one mode and not in the other, but again, that's the kind of thing I wish they would just erase completely.

I just think the BR is too good/easy to use honestly

That's where I'm stuck at actually haha, the BR felt so easy to use, I had the feeling it would make for the best starting weapon in Social.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Juan

I don't know how to put this... I use the hell out of the elite controller and wouldn't want to be without it, but it wasn't worth the price I paid.

It felt great at the start, but the build quality isn't that great. The rubber grips have fallen off and the right thumbstick is beginning to drift... which makes me think it uses the same shitty potentiometers you'll find in a standard controller.

The allowing me to setup input response curves on a per game basis is really awesome (I've been able to universally cancel out my drifting) ... but I don't see why that's a feature that needs to be exclusive to this expensive controller- it's all software.

The paddles are cool, but I've never used more than one at a time.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Juan

I don't know how to put this... I use the hell out of the elite controller and wouldn't want to be without it, but it wasn't worth the price I paid.

It felt great at the start, but the build quality isn't that great. The rubber grips have fallen off and the right thumbstick is beginning to drift... which makes me think it uses the same shitty potentiometers you'll find in a standard controller.

The allowing me to setup input response curves on a per game basis is really awesome (I've been able to universally cancel out my drifting) ... but I don't see why that's a feature that needs to be exclusive to this expensive controller- it's all software.

The paddles are cool, but I've never used more than one at a time.

I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna flip the MC Elite I bought. The thought of it breaking shortly after using it makes me feel ill for the price tag.

Oct 31, 2017
I've been using the Elite controller since they first launched. I bought one for Halo 5 specifically lol, as that game basically forced you to have a controller with paddles if you wanted to be somewhat competitive at higher levels.

Like people say, the build quality of these things are definitely suspect. Especially considering the price you actually pay for MSRP.

I developed horrible stick drift in my first Elite and instead of trying to fix it/send it to MS, I just bought a new Elite controller outright (which was honestly probably a stupid thing, but I had the money so eh).

You don't get as much of an edge in Infinite with paddles as you did in H5, but I still think they are useful. Like I had jump and melee on my right two paddles, and that was primarily what I used them for in the flights. And I changed my button layout to have crouch on right stick with melee on B.

Given more time/once the game releases, I'll probably have jump and melee on my right two paddles & ping and switch grenades on my left two paddles. But I won't know for sure until I spend more time in game.

Not sure how well the new version Elites are wrt to build quality, but I do think a paddled controller is worth it if you are a somewhat skilled FPS controller player and play FPS/action games a lot. I know Scuf controllers are supposed to be pretty solid too, but I've never bought/used one of them so I can't say.

It wasn't that hard for me to get used to paddles personally, but I know it's different for everyone.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting on the Elite v3 that they really tested durability on. This time they mean it! 😉