• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This.

Also, I hope they redesign how they play. They just are not very fun enemies.

Honestly, just diversify the Covenant more, bring The Flood back, and reduce the Promethean/Forerunners presence if they can't be majorly changed.
I think a visual redesign is a lock - they'll use the engine changeover to excuse a lot of that sort of thing - and in terms of mechanics, I imagine they'd fit a lot better into a combined Covenant/Promethean/Wacky Created Shit faction than just on their own.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to redesign most of the enemies or items. Just take what's there and simplify it down. The problem with the factions bleeding into each other is every single one got detailed fussy items and they started trending towards a mean. Just remove some of the surface detailing and add more angles back into the silhouette.

Oct 25, 2017
Del Rio worked wonderfully in Halo 4's context. Captured perfectly someone unsuited for command.
It does raise, in the context of the game, the question "why the fuck", but in larger expanded universe context it works wonderfully.
A weird kind of character for a video game, perhaps, but one reason i really like the character.

A problem i have with Cortana in Halo 4 is that she doesn't feel like an AI but a human character. OK, Halo 3 shares this issue. Before, Cortana may be human-like but ultimately she doesn't feel quite human. Yet she is supposed to be an AI. Feels like narrative conflict. Ironically, i guess this is a whole point in the game, that she is a human and the Chief a machine, which is pretty good examination of those two, but IMO it clashes with previous depiction of things along with how i think AIs should be portrayed, which is as "not human".

This is not an issue limited to Halo. Too many of scifi treats AIs just as effectively humans, perhaps superpowered in a sense of having super intellect or super reflexes, but human nonetheless.
AI, just like aliens, are not human. Hell, aliens are usually more human, sharing similar physical requirements and needs. But AIs? They function in different medium, so to speak, with very different needs. They may have all the human knowledge crammed in them, but knowledge doesn't make humans human (if anything, cramming a lot/too much of data into human brain likely turns it into something else).
OK, fiction portraying alien aliens isn't too common, so it is pretty hard to do that with an AI. But at very least i wish more tried that.

Really liked Superintended in ODST and Auntie Dot in Reach as they felt like AIs. The former was especially nicely portrayed by limiting its interaction to using environment it controls to "talk".

I think Cortana is a special case, in that she's cloned from a living mind and she has a level of visceral understanding of what it's like to be alive through her interactions with the Chief and Gravemind.

AIs just also vary a lot. It's one of the facets I really like about Halo. You have theatrical AIs, reserved ones, ones that relish their assumed identities and human origins and others that eschew it proudly (Black Box.)

More broadly, the Super and Dot are dumb AIs. Given that it's hard to typify the differences giving the smart AIs more human personalities is probably a good move from a narrative standpoint.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to redesign most of the enemies or items. Just take what's there and simplify it down. The problem with the factions bleeding into each other is every single one got detailed fussy items and they started trending towards a mean. Just remove some of the surface detailing and add more angles back into the silhouette.

what! are you implying that more random detail isn't always more gooder! you'll never make it in this business, sir

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
22ed752d99eef1b8eb4fe5d396ea2028.png

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
So you're the one that shot at Edgar!

I hope you went to Estes, love it there in the summer.

No sir, we stayed in "RiNo" for the week and went to all the places Denver had to offer, then went out to Idaho Springs for one day to do rafting/rock climbing, and one day went to Boulder for hiking at NCAR and the Chewbacca park (cant remember the name)

Jun 7, 2018
Then it's not Halo 3, and what is comfortable for you isn't really a representation of the stock game scaled up to support the right widescreen resolution. Thus you really have no baseline to judge whether a FOV makes H3 feel faster or not.

It's also important to note that H3's speed is not just based on it's FOV impacting your perception of speed. H3 has it's hit registration issues, spread issues, crazy damage values that don't seem to follow any sort of logic, slow animations, and equipment. All those slow the speed of the game down so no matter how large you make your FOV or were to increase your player speed, would be unaffected.
One of the arguements was that the FOV would change how fast the game felt. It did not. I mean if it looks like a cat and it feels like a cat, it must be a cat. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not doubting that it's not Halo 3, technicalities aside it feels a lot like it, which is why I feel like the comparison can be made.

Jun 7, 2018
This.

Also, I hope they redesign how they play. They just are not very fun enemies.

Honestly, just diversify the Covenant more, bring The Flood back, and reduce the Promethean/Forerunners presence if they can't be majorly changed.
I hope they react to bullet damage like the enemies in previous games. What was no fun for me is that they didn't even flinch while being shot.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
So you're the one that shot at Edgar!

I hope you went to Estes, love it there in the summer.
Estes is great. I love how they just full on accept that it's a tourist location and just direct people to the scenic areas in town. I'm heading back to the area in August and can't decide on what all we want to do and where. We've been to RMNP and Estes along with Ft. Collins. My friend went to the dunes last month and I was thinking that, but I'm not sure how hot it will be late August.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
One of the arguements was that the FOV would change how fast the game felt. It did not. I mean if it looks like a cat and it feels like a cat, it must be a cat. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not doubting that it's not Halo 3, technicalities aside it feels a lot like it, which is why I feel like the comparison can be made.

It all depends on what FOV you are playing at given the aspect ratio. I'd have to plug In your ultra wide resolution into our FOV calculator to determine what you'd need to replicate h3's visibility and speed. FOV changes the speed of the game, it's a fact. Just look at h3 vs ODST if you need proof.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But FOV does change the perceived speed of the game. The same speed but wider FOV will always feel faster because more of the world passes by your character's "eyes" for the same distance moved. As Masterz points out, H3 vs ODST is a perfect example, a lot of people thought they made the Warthog faster when it was just the FOV change exaggerating the speed.

Devs often have to change character speed in game when choosing FOV or changing FOV mid-dev because you can suddenly make the game feel too slow or too fast by just changing that variable.

A lot of games will also play with focal depth while sprinting to exaggerate it's boost in speed. For example, they do this in Destiny. Sprint into something that will keep you in place while looking at the skybox in the background, you'll the skybox "zoom out" (I can make a quick capture if that'd help). The new Spiderman on PS4 does this, you'll see the city background appear to move inwards or outwards when Spiderman goes from being on-foot to swinging, it's a way to get more apparent speed for free.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Your FOV is not your aspect ratio.

Even with a larger FOV, your speed would be the same as it always was, but the rate that other things move will change, as well as your perception of speed.

Even if H3 got a speed boost, you still have other intrinsic systems which bog down it's speed of gameplay (not movement speed)

Jun 7, 2018
Your FOV is not your aspect ratio.

Even with a larger FOV, your speed would be the same as it always was, but the rate that other things move will change, as well as your perception of speed.

Even if H3 got a speed boost, you still have other intrinsic systems which bog down it's speed of gameplay (not movement speed)
OMG I get it. I totally understand that. Am I not explaining myself correctly? I know the speed doesn't change.

The argument is, changing the FOV makes the game FEEL faster, it does not actually make the game faster. I know aspect ratio doesn't change my FOV. But you know what does change the FOV? The FOV slider that's built into the mod.

All I'm saying is, with my experience changing the FOV, the game does not FEEL faster,
nor does it give me the perception of FEELING faster. It FEELS the same.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
OMG I get it. I totally understand that. Am I not explaining myself correctly? I know the speed doesn't change.

The argument is, changing the FOV makes the game FEEL faster, it does not actually make the game faster. I know aspect ratio doesn't change my FOV. But you know what does change the FOV? The FOV slider that's built into the mod.

All I'm saying is, with my experience changing the FOV, the game does not FEEL faster,
nor does it give me the perception of FEELING faster. It FEELS the same.

this is like, physically incomprehensible.

i wonder why you'd be immune to this effect. is H3 the only game where FOV has no effect on sense of speed for you?

Jun 7, 2018
this is like, physically incomprehensible.

i wonder why you'd be immune to this effect. is H3 the only game where FOV has no effect on sense of speed for you?
I guess, but it just feels normal. The controls are tighter due to my mouse. I'm not saying it's a bad thing as changing the FOV makes it seem less cramped. I'm just saying, that changing the FOV isn't as profound a change as people are saying.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
playing Halo 2 at an FOV of 100 compared to the 78 on Xbox feels pretty transformative to me but you do you

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe change the FOV back to like 70 or 65.. then see if you notice a difference? What we're saying here isn't opinion, it's all based on fact. The smaller things are on screen the faster they will seem to go by when you or they move.

You could also go into a private game and have someone shoot plasma at you while you have a different FOV. At lower FOV's the plasma will be easier to dodge and seem to move slower, at high FOV the curve of it's acceleration will feel faster.

Jun 7, 2018
Maybe change the FOV back to like 70 or 65.. then see if you notice a difference? What we're saying here isn't opinion, it's all based on fact. The smaller things are on screen the faster they will seem to go by when you or they move.

You could also go into a private game and have someone shoot plasma at you while you have a different FOV. At lower FOV's the plasma will be easier to dodge and seem to move slower, at high FOV the curve of it's acceleration will feel faster.

Being able to see more is certainly a benefit, I love it, but all I'm saying is, it didn't change my sense of speed. It is a general overall improvement that I honestly can say would benefit the series if they can up the FOV to take in the sites in Hall Infinite.

Very excited about this!

EDIT: Trying to use this forum on mobile Firefox is somewhat of a nightmare.

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to see more is certainly a benefit, I love it, but all I'm saying is, it didn't change my sense of speed. It is a general overall improvement that I honestly can say would benefit the series if they can up the FOV to take in the sites in Hall Infinite.

Very excited about this!

EDIT: Trying to use this forum on mobile Firefox is somewhat of a nightmare.

It's a slow mess on my desktop, but even on my much newer pro laptop it's still kind of a unnecessarily laggy experience. Mobile just makes it worse :P

I guess if they're starting production 2019 we probably won't see a finished product until the end of that year.

Jun 7, 2018
It's a slow mess on my desktop, but even on my much newer pro laptop it's still kind of a unnecessarily laggy experience. Mobile just makes it worse :P

I guess if they're starting production 2019 we probably won't see a finished product until the end of that year.
Really? I'm vsyced to a solid 75hz on my desktop and I get around 30 on low settings on my laptop.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Is Team Arena borked in the new season update? Played 4 games last night and every one of them was that HCS 2018 bullshit which has its own seperate playlist already. I want to play oddball and CTF not HCS. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Is Team Arena borked in the new season update? Played 4 games last night and every one of them was that HCS 2018 bullshit which has its own seperate playlist already. I want to play oddball and CTF not HCS. Hopefully it gets fixed.

HCS is now Team Arena, and Team Arena will be a rotational social playlist named Core Play.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I'm ready to pull my hair out.

I am playing Halo CE MCC on Legendary. I am on Truth and Reconciliation at the gravity lift that takes you up into the ship. Does anyone know how many waves of covenant keep dropping down from the ship before you can activate the lift? I feel like i keep killing wave after wave after wave and I am making zero progress. Is there a known glitch that can occur in this part of the game that causes an endless loop of enemy spawns? This is infuriating.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm ready to pull my hair out.

I am playing Halo CE MCC on Legendary. I am on Truth and Reconciliation at the gravity lift that takes you up into the ship. Does anyone know how many waves of covenant keep dropping down from the ship before you can activate the lift? I feel like i keep killing wave after wave after wave and I am making zero progress. Is there a known glitch that can occur in this part of the game that causes an endless loop of enemy spawns? This is infuriating.
Did you waste all the sniper rifle ammo? I think there are around 4 reinforcement waves. Did you see any hunters?

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
I have sniper ammo, that's not the issue. I have not seen any hunter yet either. Maybe I just need to keep killing the waves, I just don't remember there being this many when I played it in the past.
Best tactic for that area is to enter the zone with full sets of both grenade types. Drop a grenade in the middle of the landing pad thing just before they land and you will take out most of the landing party all at once. Gather up the dropped grenades BEFORE dispatching the stragglers. Repeat.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm currently playing Halo CE on LASO and just got past this segment. The strategy I used is to retreat to the entrance of the area and picking off enemies from there. Believe me: The part before the Lift is a cake walk compared to the part after the lift.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I finally made it past the gravity lift. I just was not being patient enough and felt like I had already killed multiple waves of enemies. The hunters turned out to be the easiest part of that entire sequence. All I had to do was keep running them in circles and smacking them in the back.

I'm currently playing Halo CE on LASO and just got past this segment. The strategy I used is to retreat to the entrance of the area and picking off enemies from there. Believe me: The part before the Lift is a cake walk compared to the part after the lift.

This is the strategy I used as well.

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly don't want to know how many tries it took me to beat that the first time round on legendary, it would be thoroughly demoralising.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
This is the strategy I used as well.
Yeah, that's part of your problem. The enemies are pretty easy to blow up if you catch them as they enter, but they become a slog to fight through if you let them control the area. Same thing goes for the next encounter: you can hide behind a door and cover-shoot your way through, but it's best to stay in the main room for as long as you can, laying into the waves as they enter.

Rockslider making it look all methodical and relaxed:

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah, that's part of your problem. The enemies are pretty easy to blow up if you catch them as they enter, but they become a slog to fight through if you let them control the area. Same thing goes for the next encounter: you can hide behind a door and cover-shoot your way through, but it's best to stay in the main room for as long as you can, laying into the waves as they enter.

Rockslider making it look all methodical and relaxed:

He makes it look so easy, I wonder how many times he failed before that clip though. I've been trying this segment all morning with no luck. My AR only has like 115 rounds in it and those elites keep dodging my sticky grenades. A little bit frustrating but ill get it eventually,.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty sure rockslider is the human form of halo.exe
That's where i first learned the importance of watching Radar in Campaign. Jumping over that stuck Elite was badass.

I'm the one who convinced him to switch from long long long long text descriptions to video. Taught him to capture, encode, host, and post, long before it was easy to do so.

He makes it look so easy, I wonder how many times he failed before that clip though.
It looks easy because he did most of this manipulated encounters in Legendary so the game would provide the greatest number of aggressive enemies to manipulate. When you spend hundreds (thousands?) of hours of your time messing around in Legendary it becomes, or at least looks, easy. For instance, when i was researching speed running paths in Halo 2 i always played on Legendary so i was ready for anything the game threw at me during the actual run.

Last edited:

malus

Oct 30, 2017
He makes it look so easy, I wonder how many times he failed before that clip though. I've been trying this segment all morning with no luck. My AR only has like 115 rounds in it and those elites keep dodging my sticky grenades. A little bit frustrating but ill get it eventually,.
Against the sword elites I would suggest using a plasma pistol. One overcharched shot deplets the shield and then you can shoot them with the sniper for the kill.

Custard

Alt Account
Banned
May 10, 2018
Does no-one play H5 warzone anymore? I just got the game and can only find firefight matches.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
There's another HCS 2K today. Rec looking pretty good out here, 3-0'ing Splyce and they play the winner of Tox/Renegades in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.