• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, thanks for the info. Helps a lot. So in halo wars 2 the ark has been rebuilt from the sentinels and is building ring 9.
Isn't it somewhere that there is flood alive? Like isnt the gravemind just hiding out right now lol

There's Flood on the Ark during the events of Halo Wars 2 DLC "Awakening the Nightmare".

The Flood consciousness likely resides in slipspace, hence why it can't be destroyed, only "disabled" for lack of a better term until there's enough Flood to build a Gravemind. So the Gravemind could always return if there's a large enough outbreak.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
There's Flood on the Ark during the events of Halo Wars 2 DLC "Awakening the Nightmare".

The Flood consciousness likely resides in slipspace, hence why it can't be destroyed, only "disabled" for lack of a better term until there's enough Flood to build a Gravemind. So the Gravemind could always return if there's a large enough outbreak.

Hoping to see them return in Infinite, I think that's likely given the game seems to be taking place on Zeta Halo.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they re-design the Prometheans and Guardians with the new art style to look more Forerunner.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, plot consistency is important so I expect Prometheansand the Guardians to be in the game.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
:( im sad ..
The models during customization are so ugly... i dont even see much of a difference in some cases between colors.
i guess i need the xbox one x to really see this engine shine.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, plot consistency is important so I expect Prometheansand the Guardians to be in the game.
If Infinite can keep its story as small scaled as CE was then this isn't necessarily true. They'll still be present in the outer lore no doubt, but I could see them also returning to a larger variety of Covenant with some Forerunner sentiniel variants also as enemy types.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I hope the use of teleporters in campaign is kept low. Back in CE being instantly transported from one location to another was a special thing only possible with the ring's grid. Master Chief didn't teleport at all in H3, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the use of teleporters in campaign is kept low. Back in CE being instantly transported from one location to another was a special thing only possible with the ring's grid. Master Chief didn't teleport at all in H3, for example.
I don't think there's anything "special" about teleportation. The problems with it (especially in Halo 4) is that it has disorienting effects on the player and the story. If you're constantly getting dumped in one location and then another you lose some of the level narrative that you get in something like Sacred Icon/Quarantine Zone (where your goal gets ever closer) or The Covenant (where you can see the locations you eventually visit.)

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I don't think there's anything "special" about teleportation. The problems with it (especially in Halo 4) is that it has disorienting effects on the player and the story. If you're constantly getting dumped in one location and then another you lose some of the level narrative that you get in something like Sacred Icon/Quarantine Zone (where your goal gets ever closer) or The Covenant (where you can see the locations you eventually visit.)
We eventually get to parts where you just teleport not just across an installation, but across the galaxy, no ship needed. At that point slipspace engines become a joke. Spartan Strike has that issue, as well as Prometheans in general.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, forum's having some issues. My comment appears to have been... eaten. Weird.

"She said that to me once..."

Ah, c'mon. "She said that to me once" might have been unearned (tho YMMV, worked fine for me), but "TO WAR" was just bad.

Dunno if I can disagree with that. At least that was one and done.

However, Cortana constantly complaining and being unconvincingly "emo" was overall more cringey to me in Halo 4 lol.

Emo's not how I'd characterize it. She came across to me as going through a believable breakdown.

From a technical perspective (flow of dialogue, clarity of plot, depth and quality of characterization) I'd say it goes:

2/Reach>4>ODST>CE>5>3

3 was just a mess from a writing standpoint. Great campaign, but that was in spite of the writing, not because of it.

-

Picked up and started Bad Blood, but it's kinda rough going in the first pages, so I'm putting it down for a minute. Buck recounting the events of H5 is... a choice. The author doesn't really have a good voice for him.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Del Rio is the cringiest character in the Halo series. Can we at least all agree on that?

Sure, there have been bad lines before, but his whole character is just... terrible on purpose.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Del Rio is the cringiest character in the Halo series. Can we at least all agree on that?

Sure, there have been bad lines before, but his whole character is just... terrible on purpose.
chief_s_doritos_by_skcrisis-d5yvvbr.gif

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Del Rio worked wonderfully in Halo 4's context. Captured perfectly someone unsuited for command.
It does raise, in the context of the game, the question "why the fuck", but in larger expanded universe context it works wonderfully.
A weird kind of character for a video game, perhaps, but one reason i really like the character.

Emo's not how I'd characterize it. She came across to me as going through a believable breakdown.
A problem i have with Cortana in Halo 4 is that she doesn't feel like an AI but a human character. OK, Halo 3 shares this issue. Before, Cortana may be human-like but ultimately she doesn't feel quite human. Yet she is supposed to be an AI. Feels like narrative conflict. Ironically, i guess this is a whole point in the game, that she is a human and the Chief a machine, which is pretty good examination of those two, but IMO it clashes with previous depiction of things along with how i think AIs should be portrayed, which is as "not human".

This is not an issue limited to Halo. Too many of scifi treats AIs just as effectively humans, perhaps superpowered in a sense of having super intellect or super reflexes, but human nonetheless.
AI, just like aliens, are not human. Hell, aliens are usually more human, sharing similar physical requirements and needs. But AIs? They function in different medium, so to speak, with very different needs. They may have all the human knowledge crammed in them, but knowledge doesn't make humans human (if anything, cramming a lot/too much of data into human brain likely turns it into something else).
OK, fiction portraying alien aliens isn't too common, so it is pretty hard to do that with an AI. But at very least i wish more tried that.

Really liked Superintended in ODST and Auntie Dot in Reach as they felt like AIs. The former was especially nicely portrayed by limiting its interaction to using environment it controls to "talk".

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite
kswO0zDh.png

Nilla Honeymoon
vbDe0HOh.jpg

V I B E S

I have a few cool pics I will post elsewise, but just as a quick catchup, we spent the week in Denver, and the two days we ventured out into wilderness, major vibes

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Del Rio worked wonderfully in Halo 4's context. Captured perfectly someone unsuited for command.
It does raise, in the context of the game, the question "why the fuck", but in larger expanded universe context it works wonderfully.
A weird kind of character for a video game, perhaps, but one reason i really like the character.

A problem i have with Cortana in Halo 4 is that she doesn't feel like an AI but a human character. OK, Halo 3 shares this issue. Before, Cortana may be human-like but ultimately she doesn't feel quite human. Yet she is supposed to be an AI. Feels like narrative conflict. Ironically, i guess this is a whole point in the game, that she is a human and the Chief a machine, which is pretty good examination of those two, but IMO it clashes with previous depiction of things along with how i think AIs should be portrayed, which is as "not human".

This is not an issue limited to Halo. Too many of scifi treats AIs just as effectively humans, perhaps superpowered in a sense of having super intellect or super reflexes, but human nonetheless.
AI, just like aliens, are not human. Hell, aliens are usually more human, sharing similar physical requirements and needs. But AIs? They function in different medium, so to speak, with very different needs. They may have all the human knowledge crammed in them, but knowledge doesn't make humans human (if anything, cramming a lot/too much of data into human brain likely turns it into something else).
OK, fiction portraying alien aliens isn't too common, so it is pretty hard to do that with an AI. But at very least i wish more tried that.

Really liked Superintended in ODST and Auntie Dot in Reach as they felt like AIs. The former was especially nicely portrayed by limiting its interaction to using environment it controls to "talk".
Halo Smart AIs are literally built on human brains, though. It'd be weirder if they didn't act human.

IIRC the Superintendent and Auntie Dot are both "dumb" AIs, albeit fairly capable ones.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It's ED. 100 FOV is the most comfortable.

Then it's not Halo 3, and what is comfortable for you isn't really a representation of the stock game scaled up to support the right widescreen resolution. Thus you really have no baseline to judge whether a FOV makes H3 feel faster or not.

It's also important to note that H3's speed is not just based on it's FOV impacting your perception of speed. H3 has it's hit registration issues, spread issues, crazy damage values that don't seem to follow any sort of logic, slow animations, and equipment. All those slow the speed of the game down so no matter how large you make your FOV or were to increase your player speed, would be unaffected.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite
kswO0zDh.png

Nilla Honeymoon
vbDe0HOh.jpg

V I B E S

I have a few cool pics I will post elsewise, but just as a quick catchup, we spent the week in Denver, and the two days we ventured out into wilderness, major vibes
You came to stalk me in Boulder for your honeymoon? Odd choice.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Del Rio I didn't mind and even Palmer had her moments, though Palmer did get annoying in Spartan ops.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Palmer wasn't super well written in SpOps, but I swear, y'all caught some feelings over that egghead comment.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
All 343 characters have been bad say for Lasky and Witness, there I said it.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Del Rio is easily the worst character in Halo and it's not even a competition. He felt way too forced.

It's like the Hunt the Truth angle of "Is Master Chief the bad guy?!" It was terrible to market that for the game.. I'm surprised so many people actually wanted to play a game where we question if MC was bad and pit the UNSC against him after everything he's done. Like Del Rio, it felt way too forced.

And to be clear, I'm criticizing the marketing campaign, not the HtT story.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope they re-design the Prometheans and Guardians with the new art style to look more Forerunner.
This.

Also, I hope they redesign how they play. They just are not very fun enemies.

Honestly, just diversify the Covenant more, bring The Flood back, and reduce the Promethean/Forerunners presence if they can't be majorly changed.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I refuse to believe this is significant for Halo.

But my inner fanboy just tore through my home with arms flailing while screeching like a raptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.