Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Blog post: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-march-2021

Welcome back to another Inside Infinite, our monthly blog series where we provide an in-depth look at key components of Halo Infinite. In this installment, we've asked the 343 Audio Team to bring you closer to their process than ever before.

If you haven't seen our previous Inside Infinite posts, we highly recommend reading them to learn more about the game!
  • Art, Graphics, & Live: Hear about our improvements since last year's campaign demo and get an early glimpse at player customization.
  • Sandbox: Learn about how we designed the weapons, vehicles, equipment, grenades, and more to ensure they are intuitive and reward player mastery.
  • Campaign: Find out what it takes to bring Zeta Halo to life and see screenshots of this expansive new world.
As a reminder, if you have any burning questions you want to ask the Audio Team after this Inside Infinite, just ask us on Twitter using #Ask343 and it may get featured in our next community Q&A video on YouTube.

Now, let's go hear what the Audio Team has been working on for Halo Infinite!

hi-forerunner-interior-concept-1920x1066-38bb26bdbd804e1abcfe2f2d0020abf3.jpg

hi_banished_skewer_concept_4k-fc0e26bb055740388fc8f1084be622f2.jpg

Concept art for the "Skewer", a new Banished weapon in Halo Infinite

Jan 4, 2018

JY: With the scope of Halo Infinite (name says it all?) being larger than any previous Halo game, we established early on that we would need between 3 and 4 hours of written music. This only covers the campaign and does not include our multiplayer experience, which will be fun to discuss more in the future.

Past Halo games have relied on duos and even trios of composers to cover various aspects like themes, narrative threads, locations and even styles. We are very fortunate to have found three individuals who each bring unique talents, perspectives, voices and especially a passion for Halo and its long history. Between Gareth Coker's mature command of an orchestra, Curtis Schweitzer's intimate choral and piano writing, and Joel Corelitz's mastery of synths and unique sounds, I think we have a fantastic composer team that will continue to push Halo into new areas well into the future. It's important to note that Gareth, Curtis, and Joel covered many different themes, areas, and styles and were definitely not limited to what I've just mentioned above.

In terms of being remote, many composers and dev teams are used to working in separate cities, states, and countries. With 343 based in Redmond and our composers in places like LA, Chicago, and Colorado there wasn't a major impact or change to how we were already writing the music for Halo Infinite. Where we did see a unique set of challenges was in producing and recording all the live elements of the remaining 2+ hours of our score during a global pandemic. Remote recording itself isn't new and is common across various scenarios but this amount of music coupled with completely new, socially distanced, safety-oriented procedures, schedules and even seating layouts were all in uncharted territories for everyone involved. All of that said, every single person involved in the production of the Infinite score rose to the occasion and met these challenges with superb results!

Halo Infinite will be the first Halo title to support the Virtual Surround Sound technologies Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic, and DTS Headphone:X. These spatial audio technologies allow us to make sounds feel like they're playing from behind or above you, when you're only wearing stereo headphones.

hi-forerunner-interior-concept-4k-4964a5d5f9f54b9391176de2223911df.png

hi_banished_skewer_concept_4k-fc0e26bb055740388fc8f1084be622f2.jpg

As we look ahead to release this fall, what is the Audio Team primarily focused on in the remaining months?

ST
: I'm in charge of audio mixing, so I will be working towards the final mix while polishing content and addressing bugs with my team to deliver the best Halo audio experience we can.

CT: I'm primarily focused on closing out all of our remaining bugs/issues and optimizing the audio for each of the platforms we'll be shipping on!

KF: Playing the game a whole lot, trying to find any bugs along with polishing as much content as possible.

JY: The music team is focused on polishing player experiences across the entire game. From reworking certain sequences to improving our music systems and squashing bugs.

"We've entered my favorite part of shipping any project. The foundation of the entire game is here, now's the time when each new build comes bundled with amazing polish pieces from across the teams working together to deliver Halo Infinite. Since we're working from home, I often have to double check my mic is set to mute so I'd don't dominate the chat with asides like, "Wow I haven't heard [redacted] before. That's so cool!" or "OMG I can't believe how the art team brought this to life!" I've found building games to be like a roller coaster, filled with nerve racking hills and thrilling drops. With every passing day I hear the clacka clacka clacka of the Infinite coaster carry on ever higher as we prepare to share these thrills with everyone else. I find myself smiling a lot these days." - David Ellis, Senior Multiplayer Designer

(from last year for those who missed it:)

www.youtube.com

Halo Infinite | Official Soundtrack – Reverie

Humanity's fate hangs in the balance as the Master Chief returns in Halo Infinite to confront the most ruthless foe he's ever faced – the Banished. This song...
www.youtube.com

Halo Infinite | Official Soundtrack – Set a Fire in Your Heart

Humanity's fate hangs in the balance as the Master Chief returns in Halo Infinite to confront the most ruthless foe he's ever faced – the Banished. This song...

Last edited:
Confirming 3D audio support
OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Confirming Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic and DTS Headphone:X support:

One other way we're increasing spatial awareness in Halo Infinite is through Virtual Surround Sound. Halo Infinite will be the first Halo title to support the Virtual Surround Sound technologies Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic, and DTS Headphone:X. These spatial audio technologies allow us to make sounds feel like they're playing from behind or above you, when you're only wearing stereo headphones. We've created a custom setup for our in-game sounds so that you get a clear separation between spatial and non-spatial content. This way, whether playing over headphones or on a surround sound system, you can very clearly tell exactly where your enemies are when you're in combat.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Ahhh, totally forgot about this blog post! I really need to go to sleep. :( gonna dig in tomorrow after work, the pics look so nice already!

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

I honestly can't wait to learn what all this foley is going to be used for. That and talking about Halo Infinite's audio is just an excuse to watch a happy pug.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
Playing through all the games in the Master Chief Collection at the moment. So excited for Infinite at the end of year.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Very excited to try this out with my new Xbox Wireless Headset.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I made a thread last year ripping the Halo 5 multiplayer maps, including the complete lack of mysterious and haunting ambience that was present in so many early Halo maps.

www.resetera.com

I recently played Halo 5 for the first time and the multiplayer maps are absolutely horrible. What happened?

I never played Halo 5 when it came out back in 2015. I felt burned by Halo 4, and once I saw the continuation of that art design in Halo 5, along with the lack of any LAN or split-screen play, I avoided the game completely. Since Halo 5 is on Game Pass, though, I decided to try it out recently...

And now we have this -

This is just incredible. I swear if I didn't know any better I would have said this is from Halo: CE. I hope this kind of ambience is present on the multiplayer maps as well. It just adds so much character to the game.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Apparently, Infinite is gonna have 3-4 hours of music recorded. This OST is going to be LONG, and from the tracks that 343 have released so far, I'm expecting it to be absolutely beautiful.

Jan 4, 2018
With the scope of Halo Infinite (name says it all?) being larger than any previous Halo game, we established early on that we would need between 3 and 4 hours of written music. This only covers the campaign and does not include our multiplayer experience, which will be fun to discuss more in the future.
Where we did see a unique set of challenges was in producing and recording all the live elements of the remaining 2+ hours of our score during a global pandemic.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this was a really deep dive, that new BR sound is perfect. It's clear the audio team is putting in a ton of work, like holy hell. Also.... was that a Flood scream at the beginning of 3 minute audio sample.

Dynamic ambient soundscape
OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
This one sounds really nice. The sheer amount of audio sources:

We've shared and shown how Halo Infinite is the most expansive Halo game yet. How does this factor into building and delivering audio in the game? Are there new challenges and considerations given the less-linear, less-constrained nature of some of the game's campaign experiences?

CT: Absolutely! One of the biggest challenges of this game has been creating a dynamic ambient soundscape across such an expansive environment. In past Halo games we've had to manually place every ambient sound in the entire game, including things like birds, wind, rivers, trees rustling, etc. We knew that this approach wouldn't be feasible for Infinite, so we partnered with the graphics team to utilize the technology they built for populating the environment with visual decorators like grass, bushes, and flowers. We use this system to procedurally place hundreds of thousands of audio emitters across the ring.

The system uses color-coordinated debug wireframes to display where sounds will be placed in the environment, as seen below:

surfacing_graph_infiniteaudio-8175e9a38045408683d31b0cccb88f39.jpg

This image displays a top-down view within our editing tools of an environment featured in last year's campaign demo. The color coordinated dots are actually wireframe spheres, indicating the location of various audio emitters which have been procedurally placed by this system.

Getting the sounds placed is just the first step! We also built a brand-new system for controlling dynamic playback of ambient sounds. Each placement is actually a system combining a complex set of rules and logic that determine which sounds to play, how often, and when. A variety of factors feed into this system, combining gameplay states, time of day, location tracking, timers, and more, all working together to bring the environment to life. This gives us the ability to create a dynamic mix of ambient sounds that remains compelling and immersive the entire time you're playing.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
"The result was too many sounds consistently playing which made it more difficult for some of the most important sounds - like enemy's weapon fire, explosions, or bullet impacts - to really register with the player."

I can definitely vouch for this happening in Halo 5. Don't get me wrong, the sounds in both 4 and 5 to me were fan.ta.stic, and especially in H5, you knew exactly what gun was firing, which vehicles were moving around, the Spartan noises, etc. The game sounded excellent.

However, there were indeed times in Halo 5 when there would be so much happening, and so much going on, that the soundscape would become a bit overwhelming and muddled together. I'm glad to see them taking a different approach to Infinite's sound design, and hopefully, things can register and, "breathe" more.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
"The result was too many sounds consistently playing which made it more difficult for some of the most important sounds - like enemy's weapon fire, explosions, or bullet impacts - to really register with the player."

I can definitely vouch for this happening in Halo 5. Don't get me wrong, the sounds in both 4 and 5 to me were fan.ta.stic, and especially in H5, you knew exactly what gun was firing, which vehicles were moving around, the Spartan noises, etc. The game sounded excellent.

However, there were indeed times in Halo 5 when there would be so much happening, and so much going on, that the soundscape would become a bit overwhelming and muddled together. I'm glad to see them taking a different approach to Infinite's sound design, and hopefully, things can register and, "breathe" more.

I found Halo 5 audibly exhausting. Every little click, beep, stretch, scrape. Felt like someone was chewing gum in my ear when using headphones. It was way way too much.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh everything they shared since the delay is just outstanding. I feel this game can't meet my expectations, I'm so hyped for this.