• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I also liked the sound of the Plasma Pistol. Very alien and whispy as a plasma gun should sound.

Recent one's sound weird.
And look weird, too, at least Halo 5's. Halo 4 had the perfect design for the PP, just not the right sound. I hope that 343 brings both back, or at least gets considerably close to that recognizable sound, whilst making the Plasma Pistol not look so bulbous and wide like it does in H5.

Feb 23, 2018
I'm a day one OG Xbox and Halo player and couldn't be a bigger Halo enthusiast. But even for me last year's gameplay reveal felt OFF.
As someone digging into even the smallest bit of information my best guess is that 343i struggled with the Slipspace engine even before Covid was a thing. I remember reading that guy's linkedin profile describing how he recently added old and new vehicles into the engine and thinking 'WTF shouldn't these be ready 2 years ago?!'. I don't claim to be an expert in engine development (or game dev for that matter) and I normally can't stand all the black and white drama from people BUT I think it's pretty fair to say that there was too much smoke to not be fire in HI's case.
To me the most telling thing is that MP flighting hasn't started yet despite the long development, despite the delay and 343i's clear commitment.
This game is coming in hot and I don't think those comparisons with Cyperpunk are hyperbole.

I'm so *** thankful for the delay and I can't underst people not supporting that decision.

Just for fun I compared (with my very limited abilities) textures from the 2020 gameplay reveal (left) to those of the February update (right), enjoy:
XgoDDXC.png

p441gA5.png

hJw9q2E.png

Bonus picture - even the 2020 reveal had some surprising detail under all that bluriness under the right lightning condition... see all that dirt and scratches on the AR's display when in direct sunlight?
VZdI2pA.png

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I'm a day one OG Xbox and Halo player and couldn't be a bigger Halo enthusiast. But even for me last year's gameplay reveal felt OFF.
As someone digging into even the smallest bit of information my best guess is that 343i struggled with the Slipspace engine even before Covid was a thing. I remember reading that guy's linkedin profile describing how he recently added old and new vehicles into the engine and thinking 'WTF shouldn't these be ready 2 years ago?!'. I don't claim to be an expert in engine development (or game dev for that matter) and I normally can't stand all the black and white drama from people BUT I think it's pretty fair to say that there was too much smoke to not be fire in HI's case.
To me the most telling thing is that MP flighting hasn't started yet despite the long development, despite the delay and 343i's clear commitment.
This game is coming in hot and I don't think those comparisons with Cyperpunk are hyperbole.

I'm so *** thankful for the delay and I can't underst people not supporting that decision.

Just for fun I compared (with my very limited abilities) textures from the 2020 gameplay reveal (left) to those of the February update (right), enjoy:
XgoDDXC.png

p441gA5.png

hJw9q2E.png

Bonus picture - even the 2020 reveal had some surprising detail under all that bluriness under the right lightning condition... see all that dirt and scratches on the AR's display when in direct sunlight?
VZdI2pA.png
That's quite the upgrade, hopefully the character models have had a similar upgrade and we could be getting a true next gen Halo.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
That's quite the upgrade, hopefully the character models have had a similar upgrade and we could be getting a true next gen Halo.
I'm sure they will, they talked about them being upgraded and even adding hair/beard styles to Brutes. What's also exciting is that the game has been content complete for a bit, so right now they are completely focused on polish and balance (and probably some post launch conten), so the game should look even better than what were seeing. Might even be like the difference between the first screens of Reach and the release version of the game. The first Reach shots from January 2010 had really rough environments and weapon materials/textures.

Last edited: