• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
BTB 2.0 was and is something else; the increased player count BTB is not what was in development for BTB 2.0. The 24 player BTB is an upgrade to the original BTB to be sure, and I can understand why people get their wires crossed thinking that it is BTB 2.0. However, the original BTB 2.0 was canned during development AFAIK. I don't know if it will be continued, restarted, or spiritually rebooted ever but what launches in Halo Infinite is very much not BTB 2.0

So Theorry brought this to my attention earlier in this thread, no idea how accurate xboxygen is - or if they have old information available, this is what they said:
Those who thought that 343 Industries would rely on the achievements of the license are wrong. A new game mode is expected to emerge and become the flagship of Halo Infinite multiplayer.
We will not mention the name of it or other details about it which will be discovered very soon, but it is indeed a mode of massive war, a more advanced evolution of the BTB that should be presented. in detail. Another important game mode should also present itself, but later, and according to the same sources, no Battle Royale mode is planned for the moment for Halo Infinite.

article: https://www.xboxygen.com/News/37037-Multijoueur-de-Halo-Infinite-les-rumeurs-et-nos-infos-spoiler-E3

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
PRAYING for a mode with more than 24 players. I'll be eagerly awaiting to see what's next to be announced.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't squad spawn supposed to be in BTB 2.0? Maybe it's a post launch mode if it exists.

Oct 27, 2017
I admit, I haven't read the OP but I also have never owned an Xbox and therefore never played Halo beyond a match or two way back at a gathering but I have a quick question:

Is this more like Warhawk with an equal playing field, finding weapons and vehicles and doing your own thing (my hope based on the footage I've seen in a DF video) or like CoD/Battlefront with killstreaks, loadouts and special requirements to hop in vehicles?

Thanks and sorry if redundant.

(I may be buying my first xbox if it's the former as I miss that kind of gameplay)

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
I admit, I haven't read the OP but I also have never owned an Xbox and therefore never played Halo beyond a match or two way back at a gathering but I have a quick question:

Is this more like Warhawk with an equal playing field, finding weapons and vehicles and doing your own thing (my hope based on the footage I've seen in a DF video) or like CoD/Battlefront with killstreaks, loadouts and special requirements to hop in vehicles?

(I may be buying my first xbox if it's the former as I miss that kind of gameplay)
Yes it's more like Warhawk. Halo 4 (and somewhat Reach) were more like CoD/Battlefront like you described but with this one, it's going back to the classic gameplay where you have to find weapons on the map, equal starts, etc.

Don't apologize at all! It's all good.

Oct 25, 2017

sounds like you might be buying an xbox
the core of halo is an equal playing field, everyone always spawning the same and finding weapons and vehicles on the map as they go
and they do talk about that in the multiplayer overview for this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-O7OuliQRY

(there was one prior halo that really tried out the whole killstreak loadouts stuff but everyone pretty vehemently lost their shit in response and they never did that again)

Last edited:

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PRAYING for a mode with more than 24 players. I'll be eagerly awaiting to see what's next to be announced.
The game clearly was not designed with huge Battlefield phylosophy in mind. Even the devs told us in extended overview, it is a make believe advanced Spartan training program. You even have your own AI. It's not 'everybody's Spartan, hop in and trash the party boys and girls'... no, just the chosen few.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The game clearly was not designed with huge Battlefield phylosophy in mind. Even the devs told us in extended overview, it is a make believe advanced Spartan training program. You even have your own AI. It's not 'everybody's Spartan, hop in and trash the party boys and girls'... no, just the chosen few.
I'm happy with 24 players but this comment has me scratching my head.

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
I got an email from Halo Waypoint detailing the reveal for multiplayer. They shared an image of one of the coatings we saw throughout the last few days and I remembered a few folks pointed out the similarities to the classic GUNDAM color scheme.

dE6AZvxeZZEjaiFoSvQ0RQEMCHtfI7F1E0VSeJcy_nTaNc5GOYuzT1NsLMCkPgQ3-Mt3nb4VO6f7kfzzUcK7CBqp5wtwlCP4KChi.png

It says on the bottom that the coating name is "Karaba Sirocco." Sirocco is an alternate spelling for "Scirocco," which is in the name of the main antagonist "Paptimus Scirocco" from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Thought it was pretty tight how they're going about this. Do you think we'll see other reference colors from other franchises in the game? I can easily see some Evangelion colors making it in at some point in time.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy with 24 players but this comment has me scratching my head.

-The 'story' of Battlefield is in its title, you are part of an epic battlefield as one of the moving elements on the map
-The 'story' of Halo multiplayer is that of an elite Spartan training program, much different than any of Halo campaigns, with marines, covenant, spartans etc. on the battlefield

Hopefully clearer now.

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
-The 'story' of Battlefield is in its title, you are part of an epic battlefield as one of the moving elements on the map
-The 'story' of Halo multiplayer is that of an elite Spartan training program, much different than any of Halo campaigns, with marines, covenant, spartans etc. on the battlefield

Hopefully clearer now.
I really don't see how the lore of Halo is preventing a higher player count mode.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
If they think that modes with >24 players aren't a road worth investigating due to design philosophies, that's fine and completely understandable; tight sandboxes, intimate team-play, and in-match rivalries have always been a big part of Halo's DNA that isn't necessarily served well by a meat-grinding Battlefield-esque clusterfuck. However, the reasoning of "but the lore!" is a limp one - their priorities should be to make the game as enjoyable as possible. Not to mention in the lore there are hundreds of Spartan IVs, and they could super easily invent some further reason as to
BTB 2.0 was and is something else; the increased player count BTB is not what was in development for BTB 2.0. The 24 player BTB is an upgrade to the original BTB to be sure, and I can understand why people get their wires crossed thinking that it is BTB 2.0. However, the original BTB 2.0 was canned during development AFAIK. I don't know if it will be continued, restarted, or spiritually rebooted ever but what launches in Halo Infinite is very much not BTB 2.0
Sad to hear that whatever ambitious mode they were investigating for BTB/Warzone 2.0 was canned. BTB w/24 players is great, but I think most were hoping for something that'd really flex the next-gen tech in scope and scale, especially in a post ~100 player Fortnite/Battlefield/Warzone world.

Tinfoil hat, but can't help but think that supporting last gen was probably what sunk this endeavour far moreso than 'X amount of players is too chaotic'

Last edited:

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think it's silly to think there's not a bigger mode coming. 343 has been saying this is a platform since it was announced and right now step 1 is to bring back Halo and that's exactly what season 1 is doing. Launching Arena and BiggerTB is enough for now we don't need it all right away.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's silly to think there's not a bigger mode coming. 343 has been saying this is a platform since it was announced and right now step 1 is to bring back Halo and that's exactly what season 1 is doing. Launching Arena and BiggerTB is enough for now we don't need it all right away.

Halo Infinite needs to be playable on XBOX One. There's a design phylosophy and there's also technical restrictions.

And I see mentions of lore... lore isn't narrative of a play, it can literally be anything you see on the map or a piece of armor.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
I got an email from Halo Waypoint detailing the reveal for multiplayer. They shared an image of one of the coatings we saw throughout the last few days and I remembered a few folks pointed out the similarities to the classic GUNDAM color scheme.

dE6AZvxeZZEjaiFoSvQ0RQEMCHtfI7F1E0VSeJcy_nTaNc5GOYuzT1NsLMCkPgQ3-Mt3nb4VO6f7kfzzUcK7CBqp5wtwlCP4KChi.png

It says on the bottom that the coating name is "Karaba Sirocco." Sirocco is an alternate spelling for "Scirocco," which is in the name of the main antagonist "Paptimus Scirocco" from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Thought it was pretty tight how they're going about this. Do you think we'll see other reference colors from other franchises in the game? I can easily see some Evangelion colors making it in at some point in time.

The default chest armor gives me gundam vibes, so I'm all the way here for this

Nov 14, 2017
I really don't see how the lore of Halo is preventing a higher player count mode.
If they think that modes with >24 players aren't a road worth investigating due to design philosophies, that's fine and completely understandable; tight sandboxes, intimate team-play, and in-match rivalries have always been a big part of Halo's DNA that isn't necessarily served well by a meat-grinding Battlefield-esque clusterfuck. However, the reasoning of "but the lore!" is a limp one - their priorities should be to make the game as enjoyable as possible. Not to mention in the lore there are hundreds of Spartan IVs, and they could super easily invent some further reason as to

Sad to hear that whatever ambitious mode they were investigating for BTB/Warzone 2.0 was canned. BTB w/24 players is great, but I think most were hoping for something that'd really flex the next-gen tech in scope and scale, especially in a post ~100 player Fortnite/Battlefield/Warzone world.

Tinfoil hat, but can't help but think that supporting last gen was probably what sunk this endeavour far moreso than 'X amount of players is too chaotic'
I don't think m4st4 is saying that the lore is a reason to not have a larger multiplayer mode, but rather that the lore used for the multiplayer mode is an indication/reflection that it is focused on a smaller scale.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why that would matter since Warzone, Apex and Fortnite all work on Xbox One. Halo Infinite doesn't have to stay working on the Xbox One Hardware ….Xcloud exists

'Your Halo multiplayer is unreachable for you? We have a product for people like you, it' s called... Xcloud.'

Warzone, Apex and Fortnite are all Battle Royale games. 'Let's throw a shit ton of people on the same map and let them scramble for dear life as, one by one, only one remains.'

These... multiplayer circuses, that we play, have a clear phylosophy behind them. To make Halo work a la Battlefield it would need to be a free for all, ahem, battlefield, like any other Halo campaign, they would let you choose races and sides even (Spartan, human, Covenant etc.)

I would LOVE that. But don't see it happening any time soon. Would love to be proven wrong. I actually half expected it to happen when they announced the name: INFINITE.

I don't think m4st4 is saying that the lore is a reason to not have a larger multiplayer mode, but rather that the lore used for the multiplayer mode is an indication/reflection that it is focused on a smaller scale.

Indeed, thank you. :)

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
'Your Halo multiplayer is unreachable for you? We have a product for people like you, it' s called... Xcloud.'

Warzone, Apex and Fortnite are all Battle Royale games. 'Let's throw a shit ton of people on the same map and let them scramble for dear life as, one by one, only one remains.'

These... multiplayer circuses, that we play, have a clear phylosophy behind them. To make Halo work a la Battlefield it would need to be a free for all, ahem, battlefield, like any other Halo campaign, they would let you choose races and sides even (Spartan, human, Covenant etc.)

I would LOVE that. But don't see it happening any time soon. Would love to be proven wrong. I actually half expected it to happen when they announced the name: INFINITE.

Indeed, thank you. :)
Comparing what I said to Don Mattrick is dumb. Halo Infinite will 100% abandon Xbox One hardware at some point. The blueprint for what they are going with is Destiny. You're going to have multiple campaigns being added and new multiplayers seasons will bring NEW lore that can expand to bigger experiences.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Comparing what I said to Don Matrrick is dumb. Halo Infinite will 100% abandon Xbox One hardware at some point. The blueprint for what they are going with is Destiny. You're going to have multiple campaigns being added and multiplayer season will bring NEW lore that can expand to bigger experiences.

I wish. Let's wait and see. :)

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
Halo Infinite needs to be playable on XBOX One. There's a design phylosophy and there's also technical restrictions.

And I see mentions of lore... lore isn't narrative of a play, it can literally be anything you see on the map or a piece of armor.

Give it a few yrs and they can cut support for last gen and become more adventurous

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those particle effects are outstanding. And the good news is that it looks like a pretty straightforward way to scale it down to XB1 alongside things like resolution.

That said, I can see them going the BF2042 route and having any planned larger scale MP mode be locked behind next gen/PC.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Those particle effects are outstanding. And the good news is that it looks like a pretty straightforward way to scale it down to XB1 alongside things like resolution.

That said, I can see them going the BF2042 route and having any planned larger scale MP mode be locked behind next gen/PC.
I dont think that will happen with how xbox is all about playing this game crossplay etc

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully clearer now.

the training program can't have more than 24 trainees?

the mp narrative doesn't prevent them from having modes that feature more people.

we know what narrative they've tied to their design philosophies for launch. Their philosophies for new modes in the future could be different.

i really don't understand what you're saying. If 343 wants larger counts theyd have to incorporate more player controlled races? So 32 Spartans vs 32 Spartans wouldn't work? Or last standing of 100 Spartans wouldn't work?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's more like Warhawk. Halo 4 (and somewhat Reach) were more like CoD/Battlefront like you described but with this one, it's going back to the classic gameplay where you have to find weapons on the map, equal starts, etc.

Don't apologize at all! It's all good.
sounds like you might be buying an xbox
the core of halo is an equal playing field, everyone always spawning the same and finding weapons and vehicles on the map as they go
and they do talk about that in the multiplayer overview for this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-O7OuliQRY

(there was one prior halo that really tried out the whole killstreak loadouts stuff but everyone pretty vehemently lost their shit in response and they never did that again)
Thanks! Indeed, I most likely am buying an Xbox and joining the party.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I feel I understood them. Even still, I don't think it would be a farfetched in-universe justification for 343i to simply have the UNSC say "Righto recruits, we need to do some huge war simulations, so buckle up it's 30v30".

The only reason 343i are treating it like a training program is for flavouring.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Interesting that in Gameindustry biz podcast they say that the Campaign could be episodic but we know that already.

I think he might be able to do what other games can't.

The other games like Fortnite, Apex etc ... like to bring new stories, increase the lore through cinematics by season.

Halo Infinite will be able to make the link through its campaign which will be constantly updated and will fidelize much more players to the lore of Halo.

Kind of like a Sea of Thieves

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend watching this for a brilliant Infinite movement analysis:

That repulsor jump is LIFE!

so ever since Halo Reach came out, I've maintained that the better way to incorporate "advanced mobility" would be to

1: trade the existing sprint for a comparable BMS with running animations that FEEL fast without sacrificing the ability to shoot
2: having weapons on map that can also be utilized enhance the players ability to move around the map.

This multiplayer reveal has me pretty stoked because it appears that, in terms of mechanics, 343 is FINALLY trending in the direction that this franchise should have gone towards all along.

when you've got a core that revolves around picking things up to find an advantage, the safest way to test new concepts is to create new things to pickup. There's no need to reinvent the core.

i could imagine them coming out with more equipment over the years- some will be awesome for competitive play, others will be only suitable for casual and forge modes, but they'll all allow for the sandbox to grow and for meta to change without a need for polarizing changes to base mechanics.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Very disappointing if there are no proper large scale game modes coming.

I've been done with arena shooters for decades now. But whatever, more power to them, I guess.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
That repulsor jump is LIFE!

so ever since Halo Reach came out, I've maintained that the better way to incorporate "advanced mobility" would be to

1: trade the existing sprint for a comparable BMS with running animations that FEEL fast without sacrificing the ability to shoot
2: having weapons on map that can also be utilized enhance the players ability to move around the map.

This multiplayer reveal has me pretty stoked because it appears that, in terms of mechanics, 343 is FINALLY trending in the direction that this franchise should have gone towards all along.

when you've got a core that revolves around picking things up to find an advantage, the safest way to test new concepts is to create new things to pickup. There's no need to reinvent the core.

i could imagine them coming out with more equipment over the years- some will be awesome for competitive play, others will be only suitable for casual and forge modes, but they'll all allow for the sandbox to grow and for meta to change without a need for polarizing changes to base mechanics.

Yup, and imo is perfect they have the expertise of advanced mobility with Halo 5. Halo 5 was different but was really fun.

I've been done with arena shooters for decades now. But whatever, more power to them, I guess.

David Ellis is Design Lead on Unannounced Feature, pretty sure is a Large Scale mode, maybe Warzone 2.0 or new

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Anymore details about what it was, and how long ago it was canned?

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017

This is like me lamenting the lack of a tight, equal starts 4v4 mode in BF. Halo MP is an arena shooter first and foremost, lol.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Kinda miss the CHOP animation of engaging the Energy Sword. The "push out" animation doesn't hit the same to me