• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 5 camber, movement system, sprint, and thrusters are all great.The shooting is accurate while still carried and not dominated by just a BR. No other game feels like it.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite addition theyve made to Halo was the amazing Hunt the Truth serial podcast starring Keegan Michael Key.

The world building is fucking amazing alongside a fairly engaging detective story.

Oh I forgot to mention this. A brilliant peice of marketing material. I wish it had more connection with Halo5s narrative .

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 4's sandbox. The AR, BR, DMR, and pistol all felt fun and useful in their role without being completely dominant in all situations. The Needler was the best it's ever been. The Railgun was fun as hell. The Scatershot was the best Forerunner weapon they've ever made.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Advanced movement, love it.

EDIT: Also Halo 4 soundtrack was awesome.

Last edited:

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The graphics upgrade from Halo 3 to Halo 4 was astonishing. Not a huge fan of the art style, but seeing that technical competence come together with a more classic art style in Infinite could be amazing.

Not sure why people forget Halo Reach was a major entry between these games, it's a pretty obvious stepping stone. Not that Halo 4 isn't impressive, but it's clearly built on top of Reach to some degree.

Jun 15, 2020
By removing split screen they ostracized me from playing the series with my friend who owns the Xbox while I own the PlayStation and thus stopped playing 343i's shallow attempts at making Halo games. There you go. I didn't touch Halo 5 but I would've if they didn't cut the split screen. The couch-buddy afternoon vibes were removed and the spirit of Halo ended there. By making sure I wasn't able to play with my friend they made sure I would stop paying for XBL gold and play Halo 5 and that is the good thing. They have a chance at redemption with Infinite but I'm honestly so done with what they do, I don't understand the need to force positive thoughts on it.

Might be a bit of an over dramatic reaction there, bud...

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Clamber and thrusters are great and are also well received amongst big parts of the community that still plays Halo 5. I also really like the lore that they have added, especially the war of the ancient humans against the Forerunners, but sadly they failed at doing it justice in the actual games. I mean look how they massacred my boy, the Didact!

Tell me about it. The Didact in Halo 4 felt like he was a giant bowling pin for the Master Chief/Cortona to knock down, when in the material that was provided outside the game, he SOUNDED like a terrifying antagonist.

But no. All we got was a bowling pin that only confused the audience. Especially for those who didn't brush up on their research or read the extended material about this dude.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Not sure why people forget Halo Reach was a major entry between these games, it's a pretty obvious stepping stone. Not that Halo 4 isn't impressive, but it's clearly built on top of Reach to some degree.

In my case I played through in numerical order and then went back to Reach and ODST, so maybe going directly from 3 to 4 colored my perception. But Reach vs 3 still seems like a significantly smaller visual upgrade than 4 vs. Reach.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Actual clan integration in Halo 5, though it was minor.

Give me some Black Ops 2 level stuff in Infinite where I can form matchmaking teams where that team can have a name and logo with their own stats.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Am I wrong? Fall of Reach came out just before Halo CE came out and clearly described what he looked like and no media has strayed away from it.

...I mean it does. The eye thing is clearly due to it being covered in shadow, you can hardly even make out the iris. Also that picture is from Halo 4.

In Halo Escalation which is set between 4 and 5...

654px-JohnFace.png

It's blue.
I said it was blue

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
- Halo 5 Forge
- Clamber
- Thrusters
- Spartans actually feeling like super soldiers
- Halo 5 MP
- Warzone
- 60fps
- Buck as a Spartan, Atriox & The Banished
- Halo 4's SP
- Weapon variants, new designs, perks for the weapons. + Bringing back some of the classics such as the Halo CE pistol and the Halo 2 BR.
- REQ System was actually solid, no dupes in REQs was one of the best things they did for these "loot boxes". I hate how in most games you can get dupes over and over, but 343 did it "best" in my opinion.

343 gets a lot of hate, but IMO. They're fantastic for the most part. Only things that I didn't like at all was Halo 4's MP and Halo 5's SP. (Some levels were great, but story was a let down)

- If you still play Halo 5, you can get a free daily REQ from this link - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/requisitions/unopened-packs - I do it daily to get free points to put towards Gold REQs

Last edited:

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
It's mainly all Halo 5 multiplayer stuff for me, but there's a good amount they improved:
60fps (Bungie still hasn't figured it out), weapon balance and finding proper weapon niches without too much redundancy, movement (slide, thruster, clamber).

I haven't liked much in the way of map design and aesthetic, here's to hoping they have worked on that a lot. Sprint most certainly makes it hard to do right while maintaining the balance of ranged combat, CQC, grenades, and melee.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Halo isn't as fast-paced or mindless as Call of Duty, and not as twitch-based as Quake. You can (and should) absolutely pick your battles. That's why callouts and map control are so important. You're not hopping corners with a magnum, you're hanging on to power positions and good pickups. The Halo player base is used to starting with guns that can kill (like the BR) because Halo sandboxes are traditionally really bad and are dominated by one or two guns that can kill consistently, and a slew of power weapons that you'll be controlling with said consistent killer (except Halo 2, where it's the BR, sword, and sniper, since at high levels it's BXR and BXB all day).

As I said before, I dont't think you're wrong, but I feel like when you say "343 just isn't good at weapon balancing", you speak as if Bungie were ever good at weapon balancing, which even six years into Destiny they've shown they can't cultivate a weapon sandbox for shit. 343i's balancing isn't flawless, but it is leagues beyond what their predecessors managed. Halo 2, 3, and Reach all revolved around the battle rifle or DMR/NR because of how absurdly bad half the weapons in the game were.

There's a lot of weird retcons in 343i Halo. Which one are you referring to?
Yeah, like from the beginning weapons were designed with a specific niche in mind, but half of them were so absolutely terrible they didnt even work at that niche lol. Now at least the sandbox works like its supposed to.

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 5 ADS was really neat, still felt like halo to use, had good visual flair, and (though not used nearly enough) provided a neat alternative fire mode for some weapons. Advanced mobility sans Spartan charge was also incredibly liberating to use compared to how stiff some of the old games could feel.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if he was 343i or Creative Assembly's baby, but it's fucking Atriox.

My understanding is that 343i was wholly responsible for the story of Halo Wars 2.

Also, very small thing, people might disagree with me (probably will) but I love the sounds the MJOLNIR armor makes. I don't even know how to properly describe it but it makes it sound a lot "realer".

Edit: Whoops, double post. Thought someone posted after mine. Wrong notification haha.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Probably the technical stuff, Halo 4 was a masterpiece on Xbox 360 and Halo 5 with the 60FPS was incredible.

Unfortunately the games around those two are not great, with 5 being one of the most disappointing games of all time for me. As a comp Halo 3 player, I dropped it, and so did pretty much everyone else I know that played comp.

Infinite is probably their last chance for me, otherwise I'll probably be done with Halo for good.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 multiplayer is the best in the series. Halo 2 and 3's is nostalgic as fuck and great for its time. But nowadays if they are all presented in front of me I know I am going to pick up Halo 5 for an MP session.

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 has so far had the only really acceptable form of loot boxes that I've come across in any game. I'd rather not have any, but if games are going to use them, use them like Halo 5. No duplicate unlocks, a tiered loot box system that makes sense, and most importantly, throwing so many of them at you that you never feel like you have to spend money on buying any of them.

Warzone was a really fun and frantic addition to the game, it resulted in some really tense finishes where it all came down to which team would get that final boss.

Warzone firefight is even fun with complete randoms.

Finally giving us Blue Team!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Centering the reticle seems like a sensible move.
MCC reminded me, but I had entirely forgotten about the off-center reticle in all games after CE up to Halo 5.

Last edited:

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the Metroid Prime injection they did to the art style and enemy design. The 60fps was a vital choice. Hope they get rid of the one hit kill boss style.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Halo 5 Clamber and Thrusts. It was just so fun to get around. The verticality of Halo 5 campaign levels. DIMKEE HOTAY. Halo 4's handling of Cortana. Halo Wars 2 cutscene direction, and their treatment of Captain Cutter and Atriox. Breakout was fun, even for a MP nub.

Hunt The Truth.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Clamber
Thruster
60 fps

Halo 5's weapon balancing is also leagues ahead of Bungie's games.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I loved halo 3 equipment. The bubble shield was great.

Edit: note I didn't say sprint. Classic levels just don't play as well in h5. That sanctuary remake is a poor comparison to that of Halo 2A. I have 44 days playtime in halo 5 team slayer, and even I would not shed a tear to see sprint lost in infinite.

Last edited:

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing back Buck was great, but it always reminds me of how they killed the Rookie in some random fight with terrorists off-screen.

I may not like it as a whole, but 5 is the best playing Halo game at least.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I guess I'm confused by your comment, you say his eyes are dark in Halo 5 but I'm not sure when his eyes are shown in that? So I thought you were mistakenly talking about the Halo 4 image.
Im talking about the legendary ending where they show his face. His eyes are in the shadow but if you ask me they clearly arent blue

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I love Halo 4, full stop.

I love the majority of the campaign, the score, the intimate moments between John and Cortana. I love the majority of the Multiplayer, particularly BTB which is easily the best BTB in the series. I love the combat loop, weapon feedback, audio design, that's all fantastic.

I don't like sprint, the Didact, ordnance drops or most of the armor designs but overall, yeah, I love Halo 4.

Guardians though...
tenor.gif

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
Lets see...from the top of my head:

Halo 4s campaign story was fantastic. Its easily the most emotional and well written story in the series, and truely manages to build up the feels over time. The gameplay is also great.

Halo 4s BTB is fantastic. The base multiplayer with ordenance drops while fun got old quickly compared to other Halos.

In general, 343s sound design is clearly better than Bungies. The guns sound and feel A+++

Halo 5s movement system is fantastic for multiplayer. That includes sprint especially, linking sprint to shield recharge balances it really well.
Also Halo 5s multiplayer is among the best in the series.