• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it.

Why are people excited for a prequel?

The main reason? They love the franchise and the gameplay looks amazing. And the gameplay is king.

Would people prefer to play Half Life 3? Yea. Can people want a Half Life 3 and be excited for this? Yea.

It looks fantastic.

Nov 8, 2017
Annnnn definitely investing in a VR headset for this game (and others I've been interested in, mainly Beat Saber) before March 2020.

Game looked fantastic!!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Well, new PC in March 2020 it is (?!)
Kiiinda not sure because new consoles are around the corner, but wow. This is like a dream come true.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The graphics are great but it´s midquel and the gameplay doesn't look like much. I would have needed to Youtube this anyway due to a lack of VR headset but it doesn´t look like I will be missing much anyway. Wake me up when Laidlaw´s episode 3 script from 2017 gets adapted.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
It's not. One 12h valve game isn't going to change that.

Where did I say that this one game changes anything? I was alluding to the fact that the tech is only going to get better and as a result, more devs will adopt VR in the future. Doesn't mean it'll replace traditional controls. I've already seen a handful of people in previous threads saying VR is a fad and they couldn't be more wrong.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a good reason to jump into VR now. I'm assuming without a beefy computer the game won't look as great as it did in the video, correct?

It will look nowhere near that good even with the most powerful PC and using the highest end VR headset. This is all footage captured via the monitor, inside a VR headset you'll still have screen-door effect, blurriness, etc.

It's just how it is with VR in it's current state. It'll still look great in VR and be a blast to play if you can get over those facts but don't expect it to look like that trailer unless you're watching someone ELSE play it in VR via mirroring their PC monitor. The immersion is the selling point for VR and this game will have it in spades I'm sure.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I couldn't get myself to finish Orange Box (HL 2 and the DLC) because the sterile nature would induce motion sickness. It's unfortunate because even now, HL2 has some of the best character models. Alyx's model, animation esp. facial animation is one of the best I have ever seen.

This game looks far more atmospheric which would have helped with my issues. Alas, I am not into VR (not unless they plan on releasing the game on PS5 in the future).

Also:

Watch in HD​

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great!
Seems like a genuine passion project, monetary gain be damned.

Imagine if this was HL3, people would have bought Index just for that.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
VR is not my thing, but if this is what determine whether or not Valve will start putting out single player experiences again I implore everyone to buy a copy.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
What about Labo VR, huh, Gabe?
Looks like PC VR's killer app. Took 'em long enough but better late than never.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So hyped for this. Of course I will be out of the country when this drops (if it actually comes out March).

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone notice how the guy wearing the red shirt was acting weird during the interview? He was just staring away from everyone. It feels kinda disrespectful IMO.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where did I say that this one game changes anything? I was alluding to the fact that the tech is only going to get better and as a result, more devs will adopt VR in the future. Doesn't mean it'll replace traditional controls. I've already seen a handful of people in previous threads saying VR is a fad and they couldn't be more wrong.
VR is a fad. Most games I've seen are just proof of concept. It will never be mainstream when you need to spend $1500 to play VR games.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It being a prequel to Half Life 2 is just so disappointing. Who wants that? Who asked for that, stop being a bunch of cowards and do 3.

In any event at least it looks like they are on the right track now and after this thing slam dunks it's way to release maybe they will have the confidence to do something more.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Since Keighley's helped reveal it,, it'll probably be added to the list of nominees at this year's TGAs.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Am I the only one not seeing this?

64R4HA7.png

They went from photoreal to HEAVILY stylized.

Almost looks like Dishonoured.
More like Dishonored looks like HL2, same art director.
Dishonored is basically a rip off of the Half Life 2 Beta.

Oct 27, 2017
I always said that the day they released a new Half-Life I would buy a PC, but a PC and VR at the same time is too much.

But it looks amazing.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
If immersion is as big of a deal as VR evangelists say it is, I feel like it'd be a big deal that I'd suddenly be missing my forearms.

This is one of the reasons I wasn't as taken with the early Vive/motion controlled games in VR, it absolutely creates a disconnect. Having some sort of body model present even if it doesn't match up with your own proportions goes a long ways in my experience towards furthering the illusion of inhabiting a virtual space.

Again as I mentioned earlier Valve may have tested the hell out of this and found it didn't work for what they were going for or caused issues elsewhere like collision or what have you so I'm not gonna say they were lazy or unambitious or whatever. At the end of the day its a design decision and for most people I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If immersion is as big of a deal as VR evangelists say it is, I feel like it'd be a big deal that I'd suddenly be missing my forearms.
Immersion has always been a big deal in all forms of gaming, and I can assure you that you lose more than you gain by adding less-than-perfect IK-based arms. The hands are so accurate that it makes guesswork-based arm movement all the more jarring.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
I've had the the money put aside for some Index Controllers in anticipation of any possible sale for a while. Getting a copy of a new Half Life game alongside I was not expecting. Incredible news.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Really just felt a bunch of emotions. Really wxcites to play. Just realized that Valve is releasing this for windows and not a mention of Linux. Feel really let down right now.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't hold your breath on Valve supporting macOS anymore.
They supported it just fine for Artifact and Underlords, I think the issue here is that VR on Mac specifically is pretty much non-existent. From one of Valve's own devs last year:

- I work on SteamVR for macOS, so here's my take on its state: it's really mostly for developers and experimenters right now, there is very little consumer content because there are very few consumers with VR-capable Macs... yet. Unity and Unreal engine have good & improving support for developing on or targeting macOS VR, and eGPU support has tightened up and I'm seeing more and more inexpensive and good form factors at https://egpu.io.

our current intention with macOS SteamVR is to be at a level where developers can build and test and to tighten everything up so they can choose to ship (on Steam or elsewhere) if and when the market and number of customers grow. We're pretty sensitive to not encouraging game developers to build for a market that isn't ready and can't sustain them yet, because we want to work with developers for many successful years, not to just have some number of launch titles to announce at some marketing event.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
That's what I'm wondering, which part of the VR setup i do have access to should I think about upgrading. Do I basically have to do the Index?

I know the knuckles work with the Vive base and base stations 1.0. For the base stations 2.0 you need the index or vive pro, but they should also work with the base stations 1.0?

From what I gather the 2.0 is for a larger play space which is something I don't have a problem with currently.