• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely not hyped for a game that will undoubtedly be more about showing off Valve's VR technology than telling a compelling story with good gameplay.

It's not Half Life 3, Valve still isn't going to admit that that is never happening. This feels more like using the Half Life brand to sell copies of their VR tech more than a game developer coming out of a decade long hiatus to reveal the next masterpiece entry of a legendary game series.

It's a full title mate, not a tech demo.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life is some of my favorite games, but I don't know that i'm that interested in a spinoff.

Oct 27, 2017
Valve trying to steal Shenmue III's thunder.
Get out of here, Half Life. This is our day!

(Happy Half Life fans get something, even if it isn't Half Life 3)

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I have a Windows Mixed Reality headset that I havent used in a good year or so, but I'll buy whatever fancy high quality Valve headset if this is even remotely promising.

Deleted member 22002

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok Gaben, I'm eating two crows there: one for the VR game I thought was vaporware and one for HL3. Are you happy now?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Must admit I didn't expect this much hype for a VR only prequel but it's great to see people buzzing. Infectious, despite not having the hardware.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever they show on Thursday I hope its a sort of tech demo throwback to the first Source engine/HL2 reveal. That video was so gobsmackingly stunning for the time, the intro of the physics interactions, Source shaders, the character animation, level preview of Ravenholm etc. Granted a pancake video for a VR experience won't elicit the same reaction, but I'd like to think we can still be wowed just the same. Show us something we haven't seen before Valve.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord, let valve pioneer triple A vr games. Nobody has done it. Its their baby, i believe we will get a.complelling story. Its not like many games have good stories these days.

Valve did say a few years back they were waiting for technology to move forward for more immersion. This is it. The time has come where they believe technology is there. Believe.
I've lived through 12 years of disappointment, and watched Valve completely change as a corporation since 2007.

I will be happy and not hold a barrel of healthy skepticism above this when I've actually seen what they're putting out. I'm sure it will be better than Lost Coast, but there's still a ways between that and HL2 tier.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
d58sqdd-16d31069-4b18ndkdh.png

Sorry.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is interesting. I am going to guess that this is a first person perspective game? So I am curious as to how they are going to implement character movement. FP with a VR headset is very awkward, and waypoint movement is not fun.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
As cavalier as this is I'm just expecting an elaborate tech demo. I would be surprised if it's multiple locations with 6+ speaking characters.

Oct 27, 2017
I've lived through 12 years of disappointment, and watched Valve completely change as a corporation since 2007.

I will be happy and not hold a barrel of healthy skepticism above this when I've actually seen what they're putting out. I'm sure it will be better than Lost Coast, but there's still a ways between that and HL2 tier.
Lost Coast is literally a tech demo. This is a proper game. What is happening here.

Deleted member 57020

Banned
May 25, 2019
They announced they were making 3 VR games some time ago, so one of them was bound to be half-life related. Also, kinda amusing that the twitter page has Underlords, but not Artifact.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Half Life 2 tech demo reveal was sweet all those years ago. Hope we get something meaty with this reveal.

Hope it's not leaked and gets delayed until 2022 :p

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I know we're WAY too early for this kind of talk, but... What will I need to play this at max settings I wonder? What kind of beefy PC and which headset.

Needless to say, I am hyped beyond hype!