• Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 190 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 89 9.0%

• Total voters

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Do yourself a favor and try god mode!

Esch time you die you get 2% damage resistance up to 80%. It will take s long time for you to reach the cap and you will get to experience the rest of the game and the story!

Nothing else changes and you can turn it on/off whenever you want!
I'm making progress on every run and learning quickly. I think I can push ahead without needing to enable God mode, I hope? Lol. Like I've only been playing for 2 hours or so.

I do love the idea that God mode works this way, and isn't just a super easy mode toggle. I wish more games did something like this, so that the difficulty could scale slower for you until you can overcome a challenge while still feeling like it's actually a challenge.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fun thing to try on the final boss: if you stand right on top of them when they do the laser, you will not get hit 🤫

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Got credits, good ending....that requirement though for getting credits absolutely sucks an feels like it should be patched to not be as arduous

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to the 3rd boss. Game is hard. So far I'm finding the spear to be my favorite weapon. It has insane range on it. Not a fan of some of the others.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Skelly tell you that giving gifts doesn't do anything after the first time, when it very much does?
Remnant from an older build?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm making progress on every run and learning quickly. I think I can push ahead without needing to enable God mode, I hope? Lol. Like I've only been playing for 2 hours or so.

I do love the idea that God mode works this way, and isn't just a super easy mode toggle. I wish more games did something like this, so that the difficulty could scale slower for you until you can overcome a challenge while still feeling like it's actually a challenge.
The God Mode in this game is perfect, honestly. I think people hear "God Mode" and think it's a "negate all challenge and let the game play itself" option, which isn't true. It just gives you 20% damage reduction, to start. Honestly you can maintain much more than that on a normal run with God Mode off, given the right boon and trinket combos. It's not an auto-win. It's an extra damage reduction boon (the game literally treats it like a boon) that you can flip on or off whenever you want. And if you keep dying, the boon gets marginally stronger each time. Simply brilliant.

I had multiple clears under my belt before I used it for the first time. I got to Styx with no more death defiance and knew that traps and poison would take me out before I'd get a chance to take on Hades, and I loved my loadout, so I flipped it on (with some guilt, since I love hard games). I was so relieved that the game continued to show me respect. It was still a hard run. There were no giant messages or disclaimers about lesser rewards or a lesser challenge. No visual indication that I was playing with different rules. It really is the most progressive and thoughtful "easy" option for a game like this that I've seen, and I hope devs everywhere take notice.

Why does Skelly tell you that giving gifts doesn't do anything after the first time, when it very much does?
Remnant from an older build?
He's right.
Hades
doesn't give you anything the first time you gift him nectar, for example.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just beat the third boss(es) for my first time. First two areas are pretty much a breeze for me at this point but those guys continue to give me trouble.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Got credits, good ending....that requirement though for getting credits absolutely sucks an feels like it should be patched to not be as arduous
It feels like a big deal when you first reach credits yeah.

Now that I'm at 40+ clears and I basically breeze through the game every run, I feel like it's not a big deal at all lol.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
It feels like a big deal when you first reach credits yeah.

Now that I'm at 40+ clears and I basically breeze through the game every run, I feel like it's not a big deal at all lol.
I was doing this after my second clear so it just really felt repetitive since the game was no longer me showing me anything new and the challenge was waining.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Again, coronacht and ice wine never disappoint.
All 3 Hades extremer measure defeated under 3 mins.

Was entering hades around 22.35min on 17 heat, dead on 25.13, and thats also due to stupid Thanatos not aiming at him.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Got my first Hades kill this morning, it took a while, 30 escape attempts. Funnily, I cleared him on the first try when Switch was set on TV. I've been playing almost exclusively handheld, joycon drift is a pain, small screen adds a challenge and the game definitely doesn't run smooth all the time. I've been using the bow, but I've been mostly reliant on the special, so I keep dashing to melee anyway. I guess I'll do couple more runs with familiar tactics, before giving time to the other weapons.

The game is fucking fun, took me bit by a surprise how much I've been enjoying it. Rogue-lites (or likes) aren't something I've usually been interested in. I still haven't booted up Transistor, but I think Hades is my favorite SuperGiant game and at the top of my GOTY list so far.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Just beat the third boss(es) for my first time. First two areas are pretty much a breeze for me at this point but those guys continue to give me trouble.
Yeah they're a major sticking point, but keep it up and you'll reach a point where they are almost as easy as the previous two bosses and you just know you'll win every time!
Had my second clear, again with the fists.
Talos aspect is so fun to use!
Haha! Exactly the same here! I had been trying so many times with the other weapons, and failing at Hades. Just tried Talos fists again but on a higher heat and smashed it. Might stick with these to grind blood for a while until the heat levels get to me. At least I can start unlocking hidden aspects now though =)

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
So how much story is left after the credits roll?

I have still yet to spend the diamonds to help reunite Orpheus and Eurydice and I have still haven't been offered the chance to help out Achilles. I think that's the only major things left to do, The rest seems to be getting everyone's heart rating up and getting the last companion. No idea what to do with Hades though. He's still locked on 1 heart.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how much story is left after the credits roll?

I have still yet to spend the diamonds to help reunite Orpheus and Eurydice and I have still haven't been offered the chance to help out Achilles. I think that's the only major things left to do, The rest seems to be getting everyone's heart rating up and getting the last companion. No idea what to do with Hades though. He's still locked on 1 heart.

Still a bit left, took me another 10ish runs to get it though I think?

Rodelero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhh good to know, thank you!

It's a bit more complicated than that in truth. Once the lock appears you need to complete some kind of quest. Every character's is different and it's usually fairly obvious from talking to them what you might need to do. But rarely if ever is it just talking to them.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is there anywhere I can check which floors I've completed with which weapons other than seeing the checkmarks during a run?

Pragmatist

May 30, 2019
Pretty sure it's been commented on already, but I have to reiterate what a great character Zagreus is. It's refreshing to see a character who is genuinely respectful, deferential, and kind to pretty much everyone in the game. Definitely not a common main character archetype and a breath of fresh air after so many sarcastic, snarky, or morose characters. What a bro.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Bruuuuuuuuuh!!!!!!

rg1FY5b.jpg

jKDLg4d.jpg

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Is there any video of someone beating Hades from a new game save, first try? Been trying to find one, but its hard to search for...

It's a bit more complicated than that in truth. Once the lock appears you need to complete some kind of quest. Every character's is different and it's usually fairly obvious from talking to them what you might need to do. But rarely if ever is it just talking to them.
Oh jeeze, this game has a lot of layers haha. I'll look out for it.

Hades clear #4! 23 runs total.

Aeglos

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished my goal of sub 15 minute clears on every weapon. Think I can finally uninstall the game. Amazingly still getting new dialog options...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Got my first clear yesterday. Was using the Talos gauntlets and had an Ares blade rift dodge passive, so I spent the entire Hades fight teleporting around him in a circle leaving spinning vorteces of death on top of him just eroding his HP away. Very satisfying.

Aeglos

Oct 26, 2017
Jebusss. What ended up being YOUR favorite weapon? And what weapon do you think is the most OP?
Least favorites are probably Chiron Bow + Rail. They're just too passive for me.

Demeter Fists + Doom on attack/Aphrodite on special is probably the most fun and most OP. It has such a wide build flexibility that you don't need exact boons to make it work well. Although I only got a 'Perfect Clear' victory screen by using Chiron Bow.

Poseidon Sword is the most fun if you can get the right support, but has the worst RNG build. With the right chaos gate upgrades, I could dps Asterius down to the half-way mark with a 5-clip cast.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Got the credits
after my ninth run was a joyful mass mook slaughter setup that was a bit slow on working down Hades, this last run was DOOM SHOTGUN with bits and pieces designed to tear through bosses, the colosseum duo fell in record time for me and I was so ready to murk Hades I went through 4 extra styx rooms just for more shenanigans to add to his last whupping for now....and then he just lets me leave without a fight?! truly the bluest balls build

This lived up to the hype, after Bastion was simply okay to me being hard carried by everything surrounding the gameplay and Transistor being a game I just bounced off entirely, I was very doubtful I'd enjoy another Supergiant isometric combat outing, let alone one tackling one of indie hook specials of being yet another roguelite which usually repels me somewhat.
But Hades really feels like a culmination of a decades work (including 2 years specifically of early access I guess), this time the gameplay has matched the presentation for me.

I really appreciate how they nailed simplicity in combat that circumvents a traditional sense of combat depth by applying so many small variables that all add up to keep the distinct weapon types fresh, despite offering only a simple batch of base moves.
And despite all the visual flourishes and on screen chaos at times, it manages to maintain being readable all while having a tight sense of control and nice feedback on the weapons.
It makes me note how procedural generation is a good fit for combat focused titles, makes me wonder if a character action game should consider something along those lines for the usual post game enemy gauntlet mode.

Fave weapons would be Fists, Shield and Bow
Least is easily the sword.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
Just reached Hades on my 13th escape attempt, my first with the Adamant Rail. Got him to about 25% health, got very sloppy otherwise I think I could have had him (or his first form at least).

Looks like I can use titan blood to upgrade weapons now? Hopefully that will take me over the top soon. Can they be reallocated or is it a permanent commitment? Would need to think hard about which weapon(s) to upgrade if so.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Had a killer build with homing now with extra shots, crit on all and doom special with stack... then the credits rolled sigh what a shame I didn't get to use it on Hades

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
So for fun I ran with the well of Charon charm (increase encounter duration for buffs) and it was pretty awesome. Focused on gold rooms, bought buffs available at a well then rerolled it for more, and I had a pretty decent stack of attack buffs rolling through the entire run. Highly recommend it.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Is the quest after you finish the game randomly triggered? I have gotten full affinity with pretty much everyone. I've done around 100 runs at this point and I'm kinda just wondering what's going on.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Does knockback stack? It's been a minute since I had a shield run, so I did one today and first boon was poseidon's attack with knockback. I'm almost sure that the shield's innate kb and poseidon's are stacking and flinging enemies off the screen lol.