• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

View: https://twitter.com/MysticSmash/status/1692496232172634278?s=20

kiryu-desk-slam-kiryu.gif

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Last edited:

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
i was just learning to play ram (just learning to play the game tbh) so i guess this a very valid reason to not spam 214k anymore

214k was very niche anyways outside wall comboing, you could get some free pressure but if abused you would get 6pd sometimes. I guess it'll still be usable for air trajectory mixups, but for example, if you get a juicy CH with HS you should practice going into Dauro

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
214k was very niche anyways outside wall comboing, you could get some free pressure but if abused you would get 6pd sometimes. I guess it'll still be usable for air trajectory mixups, but for example, if you get a juicy CH with HS you should practice going into Dauro
yeah that makes sense, though i frequently find myself using dauro and not knowing exactly what i should do off the pressure if it's not comboing, i mostly just memorized like 3 combos and otherwise just kinda flail around at this point

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently beyblade is a low and his 6H is an overhead. Been awhile since I played Nago so I might lab a little today to rejog old memories before next week lol

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Did you know that Mist Finer Punch puts Johnny in a stance and if you release the button he does an upwards slash also Mist Finer Kick puts Johnny in a stance and if you release the button he does a forwards slash also Mist Finer Slash puts Johnny in a stance and if you release the button he does an downwards slash also if you press Heavy Slash or Dust it cancels the stance also if you input dash forward or dash backward he does a forward step or backward step and the slash doesn't come out but if you release the button the slash does come out also Mist Finer Punch (Air) puts Johnny in a stance and if you release the button he does an upwards slash also Mist Finer Kick (Air) puts Johnny in a stance and if you release the button he does a forwards slash also Mist Finer Slash (Air) puts Johnny in a stance and if you release the button he does an downwards slash also if you press Heavy Slash or Dust it cancels the stance also if you input airdash forward or airdash backward he does a forward step or backward step and the slash doesn't come out but if you release the button the slash does come out?

Johnny 101, thank you character guide 🤝.

Dec 23, 2017
Repackaging notice:
Guilty Gear -Strive- will undergo repackaging on 24th of August, with the start of Season 3.

Starting from 24th of August, we will be releasing the following package:

▼Guilty Gear -Strive- Daredevil Edition

Price: US$99.99
[Contents]
Base Game + Ultimate Edition Content Kit + Season Pass 1 + Season Pass 2 + Season Pass 3 + Guilty Gear 25th Anniversary Colors

Simultaneously with the release of the new package, the following packages will be taken down and will no longer be available for purchase.

GUILTY GEAR -STRIVE- + Season Pass 1

GUILTY GEAR -STRIVE- Ultimate Edition 2022

Thank you for your understanding while we undergo changes for the next season,
and please look forward to Season 3 updates!
store.steampowered.com

GUILTY GEAR -STRIVE- - Repackaging Notice (Aug 21st, 2023) - Steam News

Guilty Gear -Strive- will undergo repackaging on 24th of August, with the start of Season 3. Starting from 24th of August, we will be releasing the following package: ▼Guilty Gear -Strive- Daredevil Edition Price: US$99.99 Base Game + Ultimate Edition Content Kit + Season Pass 1 + Season Pass 2...

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
If I suck at fighting games and don't plan to compete online how meaty is the 1P mode for this game? Is it worth it?

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Absolutely not. The campaign is a long ass video, and your only options are a traditional arcade or a survival mode.
When you say it's a video do you mean... a literal video, or is this a visual novel like in other Arc System Works games? I like visual novels, the Persona 4 Arena games were basically visual novels that sometimes had a fight in them and I enjoyed that.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When you say it's a video do you mean... a literal video, or is this a visual novel like in other Arc System Works games? I like visual novels, the Persona 4 Arena games were basically visual novels that sometimes had a fight in them and I enjoyed that.

It's literally a long ass 4 hour cutscene. No gameplay at all.

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
oookay then, I guess my next question should be is this fighting game like, a traditional button combo strings memorization combat fighting game or is it like a Smash Bros (not as a platform fighter obviously but in terms of how move commands work) where you hit one or two buttons + a direction?

Because I'm solid at smash bros but I cannot memorize 100 different 5+ button long combo strings to play tekken or whatever.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
oookay then, I guess my next question should be is this fighting game like, a traditional button combo strings memorization combat fighting game or is it like a Smash Bros (not as a platform fighter obviously but in terms of how move commands work) where you hit one or two buttons + a direction?

Because I'm solid at smash bros but I cannot memorize 100 different 5+ button long combo strings to play tekken or whatever.

It's a traditional fighter so it has anime fighter combo philosophies at its core. Think DBFZ or Darkstalkers, hell, even MvC has an A-B-C style combo system. Guilty Gear's combo system is similar to those, at least in the old games.

I'd say Strive is more restrictive than stuff like P4A to entice newcomers. You won't be seeing people do 20+ hit combos all willy nilly.

You'll be doing a lot of slash > heavy slash > special move ie fireball in Strive. Good news is that Strive does a good job of making you feel bad ass regardless of the combo number because everything looks and feels good to land. Very lenient combo timing imo. Compared to Street Fighter at least.

The combo system is nothing like MK and Tekken where they have a list of predetermined strings for you to work with. In anime fighters you basically gotta work with the buttons they give you and see if you can build up from there. But again, Strive is a little more newcomer friendly than a lot of anime fighters.

Last edited:

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
It's a traditional fighter so it has anime fighter combo philosophies at its core. Think DBFZ or Darkstalkers, hell, even MvC has an A-B-C style combo system. Guilty Gear's combo system is similar to those, at least in the old games.

I haven't played any of those games so that doesn't mean much to me. I played Mortal Kombat on the genesis? We couldn't figure out any of the moves so we just mashed buttons and randomly sometimes did one.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
They nerfed the STUPID scooter rc bridget mix.

Now watch her be more broken with the new system mechanics.

Bridget definitely has potential with wild assult in combos. Could possibly create some interesting combos with a returning yoyo set. And deflect shield will make her even harder to pin down.

Yeah, it's possible.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played any of those games so that doesn't mean much to me. I played Mortal Kombat on the genesis? We couldn't figure out any of the moves so we just mashed buttons and randomly sometimes did one.
Since you're familiar with Persona 4 Arena, that should give you something to work with for this. Air dashes, relatively loose chains with normal buttons for combos, P4A's 1-More cancels being the equivalent of Guilty Gear's Roman Cancels, Bursts for breaking combos, characters who play very differently from each other to suit different playstyles (i.e., Yu having been P4A's answer to Ky, Teddie having been its answer to Faust).

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
One thing I do love about the patch is how they seemingly are interested in having more interactions per round between the new burst gauge system and damage scaling nerfs across the board.

I'm interested in seeing how Ram plays. No wallbounce on 214k plus being minus is something that I can live with, the dash speed nerf isn't that bad either considering her initial speed isn't altered at all I think. The bad thing is no more fishing for delay rekka CH. Curious to see what the new move does for her.

I'm also interested in picking Gio this patch.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I hope we get full screen travel distance for kara fafnir.

That would dumb but in a not overpowered way.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Overall increasing the damage scaling seemed expected, but this change really caught me by surprise;

image.png
Yeah this is one of the changes people noticed when they got to play it at the weekend.
I am...not keen on it.

The rest of the update sounds pretty interesting though.

It's such a tiny change, but I'm so glad they are finally changing the Song + Stage + Character selections to be separate confirms. The current way is one of those really minor pet peeves that I've had since the game came out.

I hope this patch also fixes whatever network issues cause the "hackerman" issue. It's going to be a real bummer if mid-large sized online tournaments under this new patch are still basically unfeasible.

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone seen the board game on kickstarter? I dunno if its good, never touched the Exceed system. Anyone got experience with Exceed?

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
oh shit reduced start-up on Sol's 2K, 5 frame stanky leg here we gooooooooooo

Be like Sol, never skip leg day.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone seen the board game on kickstarter? I dunno if its good, never touched the Exceed system. Anyone got experience with Exceed?
I've not played it myself but everyone I know who has tried the previous Exceed stuff has really enjoyed them.
I backed the Kickstarter because self control is not one my strongest qualities I'm a May player after all

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
The changes for Anji seem rough at first, but considering it's pretty universal and the intent they're going for new mechanics, I'm not too fussed about it.
If midare is good, could be a huge switch up in people finally respecting the spin. Fuujin is good but it was always annoying how overly reliable it was for me. The lost of CH effect sucks but I'm eager to test the new stuff.

Pretty curious about the hop reduced recovery too

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel the system mechanics alone make it hard to judge how much any character is nerfed. We won't know how much wild assault and deflect shield complement a character until we can put it into practice.

Beyond that, I think the patch looks like a lot of really good changes so far, and can't wait to test it out.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I feel the system mechanics alone make it hard to judge how much any character is nerfed. We won't know how much wild assault and deflect shield complement a character until we can put it into practice.

Beyond that, I think the patch looks like a lot of really good changes so far, and can't wait to test it out.
Yup, a bunch of characters are getting a move with some invincibility (although not frame 1) and/or combo extender. That's pretty big.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Has anyone ever found a way or a mod to reduce/disable the screen shake in this game?

I would like to get back in with season 3, but with SF6 having a disable shake option I'm just not looking forward to getting all dizzy during matches again

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
maintenance usually happens around midnight PST right?

Gives me some time to try out the changes before Armored Core unlocks tomorrow lmao

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
While the HS DP nerf will obviously hurt, it ain't the end of the world for Leo. Plus turbulenz got buffed so I can't be too upset overall. I know him not being completely dumpstered is annoying some folks though, I think it's time for people to accept that at this point they probably aren't gonna nuke backturn.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

I was dying watching Diaphone's stream last night where he started doing the standard "Winners/Loser" of the patch schtick that everyone does and wound up putting over half the cast in the "I really don't know" lol

Yeah this is one of the changes people noticed when they got to play it at the weekend.
I am...not keen on it.

I definitely get people who are not happy with it, but I'm also of the mindset that it's one of those things where they probably shouldn't have included it for the sake of legacy. Strive is way more of a grounded game than XX or Xrd, and characters having different types of weight classes in those games made sense when you had to consider the different type of approaches to combat. Strive was designed to be way more straight forward (to a fault for some) but it felt like stuff like Weight Class and even the Guts system was kept in for legacy purposes regardless of how much it actually meshed with the current design philosophy.

Last edited: