Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
So... With crossplay out (right?) how is the matchmaking times?
Strive only matches you with players searching for a lobby in the same room as you, so you're only ever matching up with someone also searching for a match in your current 32 player capacity pool.

All crossplay is doing is increasing the number of populated rooms basically, there was regularly at least one full capacity or near capacity room across each server region even before the update.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Online was pretty awful last night in EU, only played a few matches because of the constant error could not connect to opponent.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Monthly maintenance should be next weekend, then the patch with Bedman? will be on the 6th, so hopefully they'll be able to address most of the issues by then. I've actually been able to play matches over the past week, which has been nice, but it's still pretty rough.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
is bridget op or just an awful matchup against sol? i cant do shit against her lmao

edit: now i have to wait another 16 minutes to get a match

edit 2: didnt get a match in 21 minutes, thankfully the missions in the dojo are fun as hell tho.

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
is bridget op or just an awful matchup against sol? i cant do shit against her lmao

Bridget is good, but I wouldn't say op.

Not sure how I feel about the matchup overall, and not sure what you're having trouble with. But Bridget has the range and mobility advantage, and many knockdowns with a yoyo toss lead to easy safe jumps, so you have to respect her setplay loops. On the other hand, while she has a DP, she doesn't have an invul super so you don't really need to respect her defense too much. DP RC can start the setplay loop and sideswap to the corner though, and Killing Machine is extremely fast and doesn't go away if she's hit, so still be careful when she has 50 meter.

Sol's damage and her low defense and guts are an advantage, he has to win fewer scenarios than she does. And his DP is very good to have outside of safejump setups. Once he gets in he can win pretty fast, and his own mobility tools are solid threats, like Vortex can go under things if she's too predictable.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
Bridget is good, but I wouldn't say op.

Not sure how I feel about the matchup overall, and not sure what you're having trouble with. But Bridget has the range and mobility advantage, and many knockdowns with a yoyo toss lead to easy safe jumps, so you have to respect her setplay loops. On the other hand, while she has a DP, she doesn't have an invul super so you don't really need to respect her defense too much. DP RC can start the setplay loop and sideswap to the corner though, and Killing Machine is extremely fast and doesn't go away if she's hit, so still be careful when she has 50 meter.

Sol's damage and her low defense and guts are an advantage, he has to win fewer scenarios than she does. And his DP is very good to have outside of safejump setups. Once he gets in he can win pretty fast, and his own mobility tools are solid threats, like Vortex can go under things if she's too predictable.
06a.png

what does dp and rc mean? and when you say 50 meter you mean the tension one?

im and extreme noob on fighting games, so its kinda hard to get my head around the terminology.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

edit 2: didnt get a match in 21 minutes, thankfully the missions in the dojo are fun as hell tho.
Bridget is really strong.

Right outside of the top tier.

Super popular tournament character because of great buttons, great mix and great mobility.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
06a.png

im and extreme noob on fighting games, so its kinda hard to get my head around the terminology.
DP = Dragon Punch. The term used for invincible wake up reversals. She has one, which makes her pretty good on defense.

RC = Roman Cancel. Its the red, blue, purple and yellow aura's you see when you press the RC button during certain actions. All the colors have various properties.

Meter = tension

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
06a.png

This is a great resource to have. A glossary full of terms used by fighting game players, their abbreviations, what games they're relevant to, and examples. If you ever run into unfamiliar terminology, try looking it up here.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having trouble getting into matches in tower/parks/private lobbies? I tried making rooms to play with friends and they could not connect at all.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, nothing drives me up the wall more than getting thrown as my animation for one of my attack start up, makes me go from 0 to 100 in salt level instantly.
Throw in general bother me with how fast they're out and they're technically slower than previous GG titles.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Man, nothing drives me up the wall more than getting thrown as my animation for one of my attack start up, makes me go from 0 to 100 in salt level instantly.
Throw in general bother me with how fast they're out and they're technically slower than previous GG titles.

Yeah, they're faster than any attack here, at 2f.
They were 0f before, and could be OS'd with any normal that could be done holding forward, so you had things like Sol's throw whiff being his 5K, haha.

It takes some getting used to, but the game is heavily built around such a strong defensive tool existing. Things would be much scarier without it.

If you ever find yourself getting thrown a lot/not feeling consistent with meaties, you can space yourself a little further out and make them whiff. This was pretty much a required tactic to know in old games, and can still be useful even if not necessary here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they're faster than any attack here, at 2f.
They were 0f before, and could be OS'd with any normal that could be done holding forward, so you had things like Sol's throw whiff being his 5K, haha.

It takes some getting used to, but the game is heavily built around such a strong defensive tool existing. Things would be much scarier without it.

If you ever find yourself getting thrown a lot/not feeling consistent with meaties, you can space yourself a little further out and make them whiff. This was pretty much a required tactic to know in old games, and can still be useful even if not necessary here.
I just find it hard altogether, game is all about anticipation but I never anticipate it lol. I guess it gets better over time but man, it's soul crushing sometimes.
It's really, really hard to rewire your brain to not feel salty or mad about losses when instead I should focus on the small victory. It's always been my biggest barrier, even knowing I shouldn't waste my energy on being mad or sad and instead invest that energy in learning.

Damn fighting games, why you gotta be so fun but also so soulcrushing sometimes.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I just find it hard altogether, game is all about anticipation but I never anticipate it lol. I guess it gets better over time but man, it's soul crushing sometimes.
It's really, really hard to rewire your brain to not feel salty or mad about losses when instead I should focus on the small victory. It's always been my biggest barrier, even knowing I shouldn't waste my energy on being mad or sad and instead invest that energy in learning.

Damn fighting games, why you gotta be so fun but also so soulcrushing sometimes.

The throw game is definitely one of those things unique to GG that needs to be learned, it influences so many interactions. I always found one of the most notable tells of player skill in GG is if they're landing anti air air throws.

All fighting games have their unique things like that about them, it can be frustrating at first, but learning to apply it to our game is what makes them so satisfying.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Just found out I could reduce input lag by changing all the graphics settings from medium to low lol. The game looks like shit but I'm blocking mix-ups at like a 40% higher rate LETS GOOOOOO.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Are there any characters that don't need different bnbs for heavyweights? Trying to find something to hold me over until GBFVS or DBFZ rollback drops and just want some bnbs to pick up so I can play a character and muck around in neutral. I was looking at Ky but all the resources I can find are just combo videos of 214K loops that drop on fatties.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Been getting back into Strive lately. Wanna put some more time into Bridget, but damnit Faust is just too fun lol

I've been hovering around floors 8-10 (JP region) for a long time now, though. Can't quite break into Celestial.
Think I need to get rid of some bad habits. I tend to jump without purpose and throw out items/love on instinct more often than is healthy.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Are there any characters that don't need different bnbs for heavyweights? Trying to find something to hold me over until GBFVS or DBFZ rollback drops and just want some bnbs to pick up so I can play a character and muck around in neutral. I was looking at Ky but all the resources I can find are just combo videos of 214K loops that drop on fatties.
Most characters have bnbs that works on everyone, instead of looking at different characters it's better to just look for "works on everyone" combos of the character you like.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Community is gonna be racing to figure out nicknames cause there's no way in hell anyone will remember those move names.

Really interesting way to keep the idea of his old playstyle alive with automatic follow-ups you can change the timing of.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
ArcSys devs really don't miss on interesting character concepts. Feels like a character that can be complex as fuck but from a simple execution requirement.

Super interested in trying him out/scared of having to maintain pressure at all cost against him with Sol.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I wish your Rank was tied to individual characters.

Drop floors like crazy if l try to flex to Bridget or Potemkin.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, individual character rank is something that should be more common.

At least parks are always active, so casual sets when learning new characters is easy to get. Can't wait to see and take part of the Bedman? army soon.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Yeah, individual character rank is something that should be more common.

At least parks are always active, so casual sets when learning new characters is easy to get. Can't wait to see and take part of the Bedman? army soon.

I used to be nervous about it too but then when playing Sin on release I saw that I only dropped a couple of floors and that it took me less than 10 sets to get back to floor 9/10.
Beyond trying new characters I still would just like to see what every characters individual rank is.

I really liked that aspect of smash ultimate

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
So far the two characters giving me the most trouble are Happy Chaos and Sin

Fought a Leo for the first time. Pretty fun character to fight

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018