• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
In your face since the beginning (RE7):

e292161b676dc11cce416175aba90a39-full.png

Nov 17, 2017
Well in OOT In assuming it's the people you meet ending up being sages
Do they foreshadow that at all? I think Saria is the only character who has that when she tells you she thinks the Forest Temple is going to be an important place for the two of you which is like the worst executed kind of foreshadowing.

There's the prologue in LttP that discusses Ganon being sealed in the dark world by seven sages, then there's the short visit to the dark world before the third dungeon.
I guess I never really saw that as foreshadowing. It's like the prologue of Wind Waker talking about Hyrule. Is that really foreshadowing that you will go to Hyrule? It really just seems like it's setting up the premise of the story.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Xenoblade Chronicles has my favourite foreshadowing in any game ever:

Ending spoilers for Xenoblade 1:
Early on, this conversation happens:
Shulk: "In my head, there are two versions of me. One of them is saying that. It's telling me, 'Listen to what Dunban said.'"

Reyn: "And what about the other one?"

Shulk: "It keeps shouting 'Make them pay!' 'Destroy every single one of them!' And it won't stop getting louder."

Reyn: "That doesn't sound like you. Sure it ain't my voice in there?"

Which at the time sounds like Shulk fighting his own lust for revenge, actually its Zanza in his head.

Also when fighting Xord, he keeps talking about eating people, and Reyn says "We're not just food for some beast!" or something to that effect.
But at the end of the game, we find out thats exactly what they are.

Even some camera moves in certain scenes imply future events. Its nuts.

I guess it makes sense tho considering its a game about seeing the future :D

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
At the beginning of the game, Kratos' arm wraps slightly come off and look vaguely similar to his Blades of Chaos. Later on in the game we get an amazing sequence where Kratos goes to dig up the Blades from his home.

It's a little heavy handed in terms of foreshadowing, but I was still excited for it.
There's some more good stuff that you would be unlikely to notice or remember until a following playthrough
  • When Atreus is climbing out of the basement after the first Stranger fight, you can barely see part of the wrapped up blades of chaos, and Kratos's gaze lingers on them for a moment before he shuts the trapdoor.

• While climbing inside the mountain,
    Atreus: Wow. "The highest peak in the realms." Think Mom knew this was the Giant's mountain?
    Kratos: No. Her request has been more… complicated, than she could have foreseen.
    Of course she knew that, and her request was exactly as complicated as she foresaw

• When Atreus finds out he's a god he asks, " Can I… turn into an animal?" Turning into an animal is one of Loki's signature abilities

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's actually foreshadowing since there really wasn't much of an indication of the significance until after the revelation.

It definitely counts. It's a type of foreshadowing that only works in a video game though. It's kind of a 4th wall thing. We're conditioned to follow the instructions of other characters in game because obviously that's what progresses the game and the story. It's a natural instinct. In Bioshock, Would You Kindly is used in the exact same way, as a prompt to continue the story. When we get the reveal, it's a meta twist and works on more than one level. It's why that original twist is so prominent for so many people.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It definitely counts. It's a type of foreshadowing that only works in a video game though. It's kind of a 4th wall thing. We're conditioned to follow the instructions of other characters in game because obviously that's what progresses the game and the story. It's a natural instinct. In Bioshock, Would You Kindly is used in the exact same way, as a prompt to continue the story. When we get the reveal, it's a meta twist and works on more than one level. It's why that original twist is so prominent for so many people.

I guess that's a fair way to frame it, it's not really a conventional "foreshadowing" but it does fit in the context of a meta-commentary on how games function.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain has a fuckton of those:

- Ariel's murder in the intro. The murderer's identity seems to be a mystery at first, but on a replay you'd immediately notice it's clearly Mortanius's silhouette.
- Ariel warns Kain of the "Unspoken", and later you find a scroll talking about human possession and an ancient demon called "Hash'ak'gik", which is the entity that possessed Mortanius and made him commit the murder of Ariel, in order to corrupt the Pillars and upset the Balance. (The "Hash'ak'gik" name was later retconned somewhat in the sequels, though.)
- The Oracle of Nosgoth being secretly Moebius, the Pillar of Time who is manipulating events by travelling through various time periods. You can see evidence of this well before the reveal, from the Oracle's "museum" with various tokens from different time periods.
- Related to the above, Vorador's execution is foreshadowed by one of the items in the Oracle's museum: "a guillotine, its blade still wet with blood".

And that's not even counting everything else from the Soul Reaver games.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Spec-Ops: The Line had a ton of it.

In fact the moment you take control of Walker at the start of the game, the game basically tells you/Walker to "Stop" with a conveniently placed Stop sign right in front of you if I remember correctly.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably will be hated on since Era strongly dislikes the game, but I loved Bioshock Infinite's coin flip by the Luteces. For being so early on and unskippable it had to be a bit on the nose, but there was absolutely a "lightbulb" moment later on when the significance is revealed

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
could you please give some? Even if they're behind spoiler tags - I finshed DXMD a short while ago (though not the DLCs yet) so I'm really curious :)

Another one being in the very first cinematic, the woman that sleeps next to you on the train is your psychologist who is actually constantly watching you everywhere, who actually is part of the Illuminati. She talks later how she has been watching your progress and what not.

Also, dive into this thread if you dare:

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
It's very much an example of Five Second Foreshadowing (where the reveal happens almost immediately after the foreshadow) but

When Max goes to visit Chloe after "fixing" the death of Chloe's dad, we see Max approaching Chloe's house...with a wheelchair ramp visible, foreshadowing that the immediate reveal that Chloe is now in a wheelchair

Genuinely felt a little daft for not picking up on it until watching someone else play it.

What about when at the the beginning of the game
Mr. Jefferson tells you exactly what is going to happen
to you.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
In God of War during the opening Baldr says to Kratos "Long way from home, aren't you". The player automatically assumes he's referring to Kratos being far from Greece but rather its alluding to

Faye being a Frost Giant and Baldr thinks Kratos is also a Frost Giant.
He also says
"I thought you'd be taller".

"I thought you people were supposed to be so much more enlightened than us... so muchsmarter." If I remember correctly the trailer was edited with that line partly playing over the scene of Kratos looking at the Greek pot. Played us like a damn fiddle.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Ghost Trick

There are multiple signs throughout the story that point towards the fact that Sissel isn't human like he thinks he is. The fact that he can't read and how he tends to mess with mice are all big signs to him being a cat and not the man in the red suit.
Oh yes, that game had crazy good foreshadowing. I also kinda liked it in Twilight Princiess: during the first hour in Ordon Village you have to block an escaping goat. That's the same move you're going to use with the final boss.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
Don't want to spoil it but a recent game
Untitled Goose Game
had a lovely bit of foreshadowing with the
bell

Aug 10, 2019
Red Dead Redemption 2

You see Arthur getting sicker and sicker before he falls off his horse and goes to the doctor. I didn't know what what was happening but he looked liked shit.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
NieR: Automata, especially Ending A:

2B choking 9S seems like she's putting him out of his misery due to the virus corruption, but in realitt it is just a perfect moment to execute her duties as 2E as revealed in Route C.

But my personal favorite is Persona 5:

the different voice for Igor, you do not like it and think it is weird but oh well it's just a change in voice actors and then BAM he is actually a fake Igor. Mindblowing.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ace Attorney 3 has some great foreshadowing.

In the third case, which in series tradition acts as a filler chapter, a few small details about the prosecutor Godot come up by chance. A white apron covered in ketchup is presented to the court, but Godot is unable to properly perceive the ketchup stains. It turns out he can't see the color red on a white background. Later in the trial, a power outage occurs, showing that Godot's mask glows bright red in the dark. These details later prove to be invaluable hints implicating him as the culprit in the final case.

I took a note of this and was very proud when I realized who the culprit was upon seeing the true crime scene! All the red stuff had not been cleaned up!

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Danganronpa V3 has one of my favourites, since it's less foreshadowing and more fore-blocking-out-the-fucking-sun.

The game just straight up opens on showing you what the plot twist is, but it's so absurd and nonsensical that when it's finally revealed it still comes as a surprise.

Not sure it's efficient, but it's fun. Definitely fresher than a bunch of cryptic hints, they just outright tell the player what's up so blatantly that they don't even think about what that means.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Heavy Rain is like the opposite of good foreshadow. Most things make no sense like Ethan blackouts and the origami killer's inner thoughts
I don't remember the details because it's been a long time since I played it, but
wasn't there a moment when Shelby had to run and you could notice how he made the same sound that the little kid from the flashbacks?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
When you're one year old in Fallout 3 and playing in your makeshift playpen/crib, your dad says this to you:

"Listen, kiddo, I know you don't like it when Daddy leaves you alone, but I need you to take care of yourself for a minute."

That turns out to be the understatement of the century when, moving forward eighteen years later to the end of the tutorial, your dad leaves the vault, forcing you to make a desperate escape (lest the Vault's now-hostile security force kill you) and fend for yourself in the wasteland beyond. Oof.

The Bible passage in your family's quarters (Revelations 21:6) is very foreshadowy as well. 216 is the purifier activation code, and the whole Alpha/Omega thing represents how the game literally starts with the protagonist's birth and ends (at least originally) at the "fountain of the water of life".

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
999. Just....everything.

Yep.

The foreshadowing as to why Akane got all of those fevers is a stroke of genius. It's seriously clever, mind blowing stuff!

He keeps making the most out of touch, Uchikoshi-ish jokes too, which makes it so much better.

I love when I think it's Alice, tells him something like "you must've been studying for a long time" when he says he's in college.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Identity of Flame Emperor in Fire Emblem: Three Houses is quite well-foreshadowed, and as a result the reveal made sense and wasn't a huge shocker.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
DS did foreshadowing extremely well, it's one of the few games that managed to rival SH in terms of how well done it is.

Foreshadowing in survival horror is everything. I think developpers relay on that, on that feeling of "I just told you, but you didn't listen". That's extremely scary.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

Another one being in the very first cinematic, the woman that sleeps next to you on the train is your psychologist who is actually constantly watching you everywhere, who actually is part of the Illuminati. She talks later how she has been watching your progress and what not.

Also, dive into this thread if you dare:

thanks!

I legit never noticed about
about Madam Photographe being there at the station or during you and Vega's conversation at the LIMB Clinic. Damn.

I had read about Auzenne's appearance at the start, however. Blew my fucking mind. Kinda funny that I never "fully" trusted her (especially after the Megan Reed situation in DXHR) but her full-blown Illuminati shit still made me angry hahahaha

Nov 17, 2017
In Twilight Princess after the 3rd temple, Midna accuses Zant of abusing their tribe's magic for evil. Zant responds:

"How dare you?! Are you implying that my power is... our old magic? Now THAT is a joke! This power is granted to me by my god! It is the magic of the King of Twilight, and you WILL respect it!"

A little bit after this scene, Midna tells Link about when Zant took over the Twilight Realm:

"It's clear to me now that he somehow gained a great evil power previously unknown to our tribe."

The foreshadowing here is interesting because most people miss it and tend to think Ganondorf is dropped into the plot at the last second.

Another little foreshadowing moment is in the beginning of the game, if you go into Rusl's house a short blade and a helmet can be found on the shelf. It's the same items he has later as a Resistance member.

Xenoblade Chronicles has my favourite foreshadowing in any game ever:

Ending spoilers for Xenoblade 1:
Early on, this conversation happens:
Shulk: "In my head, there are two versions of me. One of them is saying that. It's telling me, 'Listen to what Dunban said.'"

Reyn: "And what about the other one?"

Shulk: "It keeps shouting 'Make them pay!' 'Destroy every single one of them!' And it won't stop getting louder."

Reyn: "That doesn't sound like you. Sure it ain't my voice in there?"

Which at the time sounds like Shulk fighting his own lust for revenge, actually its Zanza in his head.

Also when fighting Xord, he keeps talking about eating people, and Reyn says "We're not just food for some beast!" or something to that effect.
But at the end of the game, we find out thats exactly what they are.

Even some camera moves in certain scenes imply future events. Its nuts.

I guess it makes sense tho considering its a game about seeing the future :D
Yeah the foreshadowing here is really good. There's another moment in the Colony 9 attack at the beginning of the game:

Metal Face receives that signal to retreat but before he does, he takes a moment to stare down Dunban. The camera work makes it super clear that he is looking at Dunban, not Shulk and Reyn. This is because Metal Face is Mumkhar and he hates Dunban personally from his life as a homs.