MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Alright rain is coming! It's not for every track but I can't complain. I wish they'd have it on more tracks but whatever.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Alright rain is coming! It's not for every track but I can't complain. I wish they'd have it on more tracks but whatever.
I hope for GT7 they figure out how to have dynamic time of day and weather. Obviously, the results from pre-baking everything is fantastic, but it just seemed like a lot of work getting put into a non-ideal implementation that limits variety across the game.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I hope for GT7 they figure out how to have dynamic time of day and weather. Obviously, the results from pre-baking everything is fantastic, but it just seemed like a lot of work getting put into a non-ideal implementation that limits variety across the game.

Yeah, their progress on graphics, physics and engine stuff seems too workload heavy. Does dynamic weather and time run as a simulation sort of thing which limits the control they have for the visual stylistic choice?

I'm not sure if they just have a strict vision to how the game should look like and being hella stubborn and crazy. The presentation of GTS as a whole seems to suggest that.

I don't have a clue how any of this works. I am sure most work they are doing for GTS will carry over to GT7. It will be insane if they start over again.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, their progress on graphics, physics and engine stuff seems too workload heavy. Does dynamic weather and time run as a simulation sort of thing which limits the control they have for the visual stylistic choice?

I'm not sure if they just have a strict vision to how the game should look like and being hella stubborn and crazy. The presentation of GTS as a whole seems to suggest that.

I don't have a clue how any of this works. I am sure most work they are doing for GTS will carry over to GT7. It will be insane if they start over again.
I think yes, it limits their stylistic choices, like maybe tuning up glare or reflectivity during dusk, or the luminance coming off of night time light sources etc. But I imagine the bigger issue is the cost of running the simulation is not something they budgeted for. Having dry/wet textures and shadows already calculated allows for more GPU resources to go into the the vehicle rendering and environmental detail.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
The way everything is lit will go through another big overhaul on PS5 but most of the model and texture work should survive, probably.

Weren't thwy developing their own raytracing solution? That would decrease the need to 'bake in' their lighting but man with how taxing raytracing is now. I won't be surprised if we get a workaround raytracing solution just like how we have checkerboard rendering for '4k' this gen.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Weren't thwy developing their own raytracing solution? That would decrease the need to 'bake in' their lighting but man with how taxing raytracing is now. I won't be surprised if we get a workaround raytracing solution just like how we have checkerboard rendering foe '4k' this gen.

They are but we'll have to see if that's a full solution or something used sparingly. Raytraced reflections will definitely help the look of the game but I think realtime raytraced GI might be overkill when there's a lot of other methods to do 24hr realistic indirect lighting, including just blending between bakes of different time+weather conditions.

Last edited:

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
They are but we'll have to see if that's a full solution or something used sparingly. Raytraced reflections will definitely help the look of the game but I think realtime GI might be overkill when there's a lot of other methods to do realistic indirect lighting, including just blending between bakes of different time+weather conditions.

Definitely. Full raytracing just isn't viable with current hardware. I am looking forward to whatever wizardry they have cooking. I hope they maintain that 60fps goal regardless.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
i1cSRT5noIbB2.jpg

i11thf8YwIkVQO.jpg