• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
So basically there's nothing that parliament, the speaker or anyone else can do now as it's been approved by the queen?

There's really fuck all. No time to bring new legislation to the fore. That's why Boris has done this. It lets him sideline parliament to stop them from stopping him from doing nothing, which is his objective.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
From the empire to here. Growing up British sociopolitical influence was everywhere. Today's it's shrunk to a small island about to be pillaged of any influence it has by larger actors, from America to the EU to Russia.

Willfully abdicating your decorum, history, global respect, and influence in the EU and the world for this seems like pure insanity.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
That's the talk on twitter. Be there or be square. Wear masks. Throw stuff.

I am nowhere near the smoke so cannot attend but londoners, do me proud.

I am incandescent with rage and I'm not even from the place. I hope they do.

They can legally challenge the advice given to the Queen

I'm not familiar with the legal framework in the UK but what kind of outcome would a successful legal challenge achieve? And would this even happen within a 5 week period to prevent no deal from happening?

I wish us Brits were half the protestors the people of Hong Kong are.

Labour movements and protests from the UK throughout history have been an inspiration to folks engaged in struggles around the world. Brits definitely have it.

There's really fuck all. No time to bring new legislation to the fore. That's why Boris has done this. It lets him sideline parliament to stop them from stopping him from doing nothing, which is his objective.

Sounds bloody hopeless. Only thing left then is to shut down all major cities if folks have it in them to take to the streets for a sustained period of time.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Labour movements and protests from the UK throughout history have been an inspiration to folks engaged in struggles around the world. Brits definitely have it.
Historically sure, but I just can't picture modern British people pulling off something worthwhile of that scale that'll actually lead to change. I'd love to be wrong though.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not familiar with the legal framework in the UK but what kind of outcome would a successful legal challenge achieve? And would this even happen within a 5 week period to prevent no deal from happening?

Uh...well this is all uncharted territory but as far as I can make out, if a judicial review happens the judges can order advice to monarch to be changed on grounds that it is unlawful, which would effectively cancel the prorogue. They could even stay it while they decided, which would be as good in effect.

Don;t take that as gospel though, I don;t suppose many people know for sure.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
xeoEhgq.gif

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Historically sure, but I just can't picture modern British people pulling off something worthwhile of that scale that'll actually lead to change. I'd love to be wrong though.

They have been huge riots as recently as 2011. It's hot. It could happen. Really it needs engagement from the youth. With the best will in the world you are not going to get many middle aged cunts like me smashing the place up. It needs the righteous anger of the young.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
They have been huge riots as recently as 2011. It's hot. It could happen. Really it needs engagement from the youth. With the best will in the world you are not going to get many middle aged cunts like me smashing the place up. It needs the righteous anger of the young.
The 2011 riots were mostly young chancer cunts wanting to smash shit up and rob stuff. This won;t see the same happen becase the people that care about it aren't the type of people that will do it. I'd not be at all shocked if the majority of the twats in 2011 voted leave.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
The previous anti-Brexit march in London was enormous, even though the BBC tried to downplay the size of it, but I can't see young people rioting about this. Its more likely there will just be a big peaceful demonstration and maybe a strike, which is probably better anyway.

The violence in the Hong Kong protests just gets used to make the case for cracking down on them, I think it was more important that it was so large scale that it shut down a lot of things.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I no longer support the Queen. Screw her and the royal family. Pathetic.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, as an American who only knows bits and pieces of UK history, how long ago did Parliament come into modern power? We talking 1800s or 1900s? I remember it being covered in highschool, but can't remember the details.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Why can they get away with waiting so long? Isn't Parliament due back in a couple of weeks? Surely if you wanted a new queen's speech you have it ready for day one or you fuck off?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Fuck the Queen, her Peado son, the royal family and all it's defenders.

Yep, I no longer support the Queen. Screw her and the royal family. Pathetic.

Again, the Queen doesn't actually "agree" to things. It's just pomp and circumstance. An extra bit of ceremony on top of a dry procedure. It's like when Obama chose to swear in on Abe Lincoln's bible. It doesn't mean Lincoln had a say in the presidential election. She's just an organic stamp on a form.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So, as an American who only knows bits and pieces of UK history, how long ago did Parliament come into modern power? We talking 1800s or 1900s? I remember it being covered in highschool, but can't remember the details.

If its taken as the signing of the Magna Carta - then we had the 800th anniversary in 2015 - was established in 1215

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So im assuming that the only option now is a VONC asap?

You would like to think that even the coward Lib Dems and spineless 'Tory rebels' would realise that this is the very last chance we have to not fuck over this country for generations and actually get behind the VONC but of course history has shown us the chances of that are slim.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Sigh my GF needs to go back in november to do one final exam to Hungary. hope the uk will let her back. such a shit show.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017

It started around Charles the 2nd which was the 17th Century and became more and more powerful with each subsequent monarch, especially during the 18th century as our first few kings a) hated England and b) were German and so spoke little English.

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck it. I'm going fully republican now.

Get rid of every inch of the upper-class establishment. Every last one of those useless cretins should go straight into the bin.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when the perceived democratic deficits of the EU were treated as a legitimate reason to leave?

Fuck Brexiters, the conservative party and Britain's ghastly ""democracy"".

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Again, the Queen doesn't actually "agree" to things. It's just pomp and circumstance. It's like when Obama chose to swear in on Abe Lincoln's bible. It doesn't mean Lincoln had a say in the presidential election. She's just an organic stamp on a form.

No. Just because she hasn't acted on her power much doesn't mean it isn't there. She very litteraly has the power to refuse.