• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Including User Polls into the overall listings is like putting together both Critic and User Reviews into a title's overall metascore.. It makes absolutely no sense.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Revisiting the TGA threads after all these Death Stranding wins is so cathartic.

Let's be honest here, there are probably 10 websites/publications that people care about when it comes to GOTYs.

Or are people really gonna tell me that they waited all day to hear what some random website they've never heard before had to say?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest here, there are probably 10 websites/publications that people care about when it comes to GOTYs.

Or are people really gonna tell me that they waited all day to hear what some random website they've never heard before had to say?

People do care about the overall winner with most GOTY awards. There are plenty of threads made about it even outside of goty season.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

Sounds like they'll take anything they can at this point.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

All these random website wins account towards the larger aggregate which people have had no issue referencing in previous years when talking about X game winning 250 GoTY awards and so on.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
All these random website wins account towards the larger aggregate which people have had no issue referencing in previous years when talking about X game winning 250 GoTY awards and so on.

Which is kinda bs when you think about it. Take Zelda for example. It won every major GOTY, yet is not the most awarded game of all time because that year there weren't as many goty lists as other years.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

I mean even CD Projekt themselves used GOTY Picks, and their lots of 'random website they´ve never heard before' when promoting the fact that The Witcher 3 had become the most awarded game of all time back in the past so I don´t see why people shouldn´t take notice too.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Which is kinda bs when you think about it. Take Zelda for example. It won every major GOTY, yet is not the most awarded game of all time because that year there weren't as many goty lists as other years.

You're right but ..

this is also right V

I haven't heard of big chunk of the websites that gave TW3 GoTY wins either, which holds true for almost every year I suppose. If it's acceptable there, it's equally acceptable here. With Death Stranding it's more fun to see people's reactions because the vitriol (IMO) the game received here.

I mean even CD Projekt themselves used GOTY Picks, and their lots of 'random website they´ve never heard before' when promoting the fact that The Witcher 3 had become the most awarded game of all time back in the past so I don´t see why people shouldn´t take notice too.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Here some stats I wrote on last year's very entertaining gotyblog thread. *Feel free to edit/fix them, I'm not doing this again XD*

Total GOTYs awarded per year:
2018 - 390
2017 - 333
2016 - 409
2015 - 439
2014 - 405
2013 - 523
2012 - 385
2011 - 403
2010 - 291

Games with most awards:
2015 - The Witcher 3 - 257
2013 - The Last of Us - 249
2011 - Skyrim - 227
2018 - God of War (2018) -198
2017 - Breath of the Wild - 189
2016 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 165
2013 - GTA V - 160
2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2 - 135
2014 - Dragon Age Inquisition -134
2010 - Red Dead Redemption - 111
2009 - Uncharted 2 - 111
2010 - Mass Effect 2 -101
2016 - Overwatch - 102

Top 10 GOTY winners by percentage:
1. Witcher 3 - 58%
2. BOTW - 57%
3. RE4 - 57%
4. Skyrim - 56%
5. Uncharted 2 - 52%
6. God of War (2018) - 50%
7. TLOU - 47%
8. KOTOR - 46%
9. Uncharted 4 - 40%
10. Red Dead Redemption - 38%

GOTY winners by percentage per year:
2003: KOTOR - 46%
2004: Half-Life 2 - 38%
2005: RE4 - 57%
2006: Oblivion - 35%
2007: Bioshock - 29%
2008: Fallout 3 -33%
2009: Uncharted 2 - 52%
2010: Red Dead Redemption - 38%
2011: Skyrim - 56%
2012: The Walking Dead - 19%
2013: TLOU - 47%
2014: DA Inquistion - 32%
2015: Witcher 3 - 58%
2016: Uncharted 4 - 40%
2017: BOTW - 57%
2018: GOW - 50%

Here are the follow ups per year - the GAF/ERA winners + [Interesting findings]:
2003: Wind Waker (20%)
2004: Halo 2 (20%) and San Andreas (16%) - (MG3 was GAF's goty and that won 3%)
2005: Shadow of the Colossus (9%) and God of War (6%) - (RE4 was GAF's goty)
2006: Gears of War (30%) and Twilight Princess (23%) - (Twilight Princess was GAF's goty)
2007: Super Mario Galaxy (28%) and Call of Duty 4 (13%) - (Galaxy was GAF's goty)
2008: GTA IV (19%) and MGS 4 (18%) - (MGS4 was GAF's goty)
2009: Arkham Asylum (14%) and Modern Warfare 2 (12%) - (Uncharted 2 was GAF's goty) - [Demon's Souls with 1%]
2010: Mass Effect 2 (35%) and Super Mario Galaxy 2 (6%) - (ME2 was GAF's goty) - [New Vegas with 1%]
2011: Portal 2 (14%) and Arkham City (9%) - (Portal 2 was GAF's goty) - [Dark Souls with 1%]
2012: Journey (14%) and Far Cry 3 (13%) - (Journey was GAF's goty) - [This year has the most amount of games with more than 20 GOTY awards, 9 in total]
2013: GTA V (30%) and Bioshock Infinite (8%) - (TLOU was GAF's goty) - [This year has the most GOTY awards given to games]
2014: Shadow of Mordor (11%) and Mario Kart 8 (6%) - (Bayonetta 2 was GAF's goty and that won 5%) - [This year has the most games with at least 1 GOTY won]
2015: Fallout 4 (13%) and Bloodborne (7%) - (BB was GAF's goty)
2016: Overwatch (24%) and DOOM (7%) - (U4 was GAF's goty)
2017: Horizon (15%) and Super Mario Odyssey (7%) - (BOTW was ERA's goty) - [Automata and Persona 5 with 0.03%]
2018: RDR2 (34%) and Spider-Man (4%) - (GOW was ERA's goty)

EDIT: The following are the years not covered by gotyblog, unfortunately its hard to get the right amount of winners during these years due to magazines and sites no
longer being available to us and these are just based on sources in Wikipedia/Gamepedia. This means that some of the overall winners like SoulCalibur, The Sims and GTA 3 may have not been the winners of their respective year.

GOTY Wins in 1996-2002:
1996: Super Mario 64 (8), Diablo, Sakura Wars, Tomb Raider, Duke Nukem 3D, Street Fighter Alpha 2
1997: Final Fantasy VII (7), Goldeneye 007 (5), Total Annihilation, Darkstalkers 3
1998: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (15), Grim Fandango, Obsidian, Psychic Force 2012
1999: Soul Calibur (4), Unreal Tournament (3), Pro Skater, Final Fantasy VIII, Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
2000: The Sims (4), Deus Ex (3), Pro Skater 2 (3), Medievil 2, Pokemon Yellow, Diablo II, Chrono Cross, Phantasy Star Online, Half-Life, Pokemon Stadium
2001: GTA III (9), Halo CE (6), Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid 2, Serious Sam The First Encounter, Final Fantasy X
2002: Metroid Prime (11), Vice City (5), Battlefiled 1942 (2), Black & White and ICO

Percentage wise based on Wikipedia/Gamepedia:
1996: Super Mario 64 - 61%
1997: Final Fantasy VII - 50%
1998: Ocarina of Time - 83%
1999: Soul Calibur - 40%
2000: The Sims - 23%
2001: GTA III - 45%
2002: Metroid Prime - 55%

This should be threadmark or edited in OP

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
It is nuts that the year which had Breath of the Wild is the year with the least amount of GOTYs counted. Why is that?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It is nuts that the year which had Breath of the Wild is the year with the least amount of GOTYs counted. Why is that?

If it's any consolation, it received the 2nd highest percentage of the GoTY awards in the charts.

1. Witcher 3 - 58%
2. BOTW - 57%
3. RE4 - 57%

Of course it could have been higher if it wasn't for for all those reviews marked (PL) in 2015, a bunch of which don't show up in subsequent years :p

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
If it's any consolation, it received the 2nd highest percentage of the GoTY awards in the charts.

1. Witcher 3 - 58%
2. BOTW - 57%
3. RE4 - 57%

Of course it could have been higher if it wasn't for for all those reviews marked (PL) in 2015, a bunch of which don't show up in subsequent years :p
There are only 9 polish websites on that blog. The next year has 11. Didn't show up? You have something against Witcher 3 or Poland?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing vote share between years is a bit weird imo. A game that got 60 % of the vote is not necessarily seen as a better game than a game that only got 50 %, maybe that year had much less competition for example. You can't make that comparison.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
It seems that this year will be a repeat of Uncharted 4 vs Overwatch with Death Stranding vs Control.

Control's going to win the majority of the big awards, just like Overwatch did, but Death Stranding will beat it by a fair margin because of the readers picks.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
There is no point he just made an observation. The most awards ever counted were in 2013. You passed a judgment that polish websites suddenly appeared only for Witcher 3 which is hilarious.
Zelda fans can't accept a game with more awards rs and,no,it didn't won "every" major award,or we gonna ignore the fact of What Remains of Edith Finch won BAFTA,one of the biggest if not the biggest,and well deserved,a masterpiece of game.
Also,the same people arguing these no name sites no one care are the same who says OpenCritic is better than Metacritic, because of the no weight system,the fact is,you can ignore these sites and look just the ones you think is worth,it is just an aggregate and as should be,there is no weight,a GOTY is a GOTY.And of course,the community choices are as important as the critics,you can also ignore it if you want.
It seems that this year will be a repeat of Uncharted 4 vs Overwatch with Death Stranding vs Control.

Control's going to win the majority of the big awards, just like Overwatch did, but Death Stranding will beat it by a fair margin because of the readers picks.
Too soon to say that,both won 5 critics and we will have probably more 250 critics.Overwatch won 1 more than Uncharted 4,so almost a tie,a good example can be 2010,Mass Effect won more reader's,but Red Dead Redemption took the critics.
Also,I don't know if you remember,but last year you said in a thread (I think was RDR2 OT) Red Dead Redemption 2 would sweep,predicating something like 60% awards over 20% to God of War,and I said God of War would come on top after playing the game and close to finish it,we had a debate and I remember I said we would know in a few months.
Death Stranding won 7 already and Control 5 ;)
Critics
And I doubt Control will win more critics.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Polygon #3 is Devotion (never head of it),I am curious what will be their GOTY,I think they where very positive about Death Stranding,and they are among TGA jury.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Polygon #3 is Devotion (never head of it),I am curious what will be their GOTY,I think they where very positive about Death Stranding,and they are among TGA jury.
#2 and #1 will most likely be either outer wilds, control or RE2. their review for death stranding doesn't read very positive, honestly.

Looking at Polygon's Recommends page (both Sekiro and Baba is You are on it), it's unlikely that DMCV, Fire Emblem, Outer Worlds or Death Stranding will make the list.
That being said, RE2, Outer Wilds, Astral Chain, Control, and Luigi's Mansion 3 have a decent shot.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
#2 and #1 will most likely be either outer wilds, control or RE2. their review for death stranding doesn't read very positive, honestly.
If I am not wrong,in the most recently top 100 games of the decade,didn't Death Stranding score the higher in their list ? Of 2019 games

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
RE2 and Sekiro gettin robbed left and right this year. Can always count on the years where Japanese games were the highest rated for critics to pull their 'out of left field' picks.

Control is awesome, but the critic consensus when it came out was anything but that. How about appreciating these games when they actually come out and can gain some sales off it instead of having last second change of hearts during goty-time.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
If I wasn't broke, I'd buy Control and Star Wars now, Resident Evil 2 being a remake is certainly holding it as expected, Still do not understand why VGChronicles is not included, I think the blog is not seeing this topic as last year.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Some of the extrapolations in this thread are quite strange. There are 25 awards counted out of a total of 400?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I wasn't broke, I'd buy Control and Star Wars now, Resident Evil 2 being a remake is certainly holding it as expected, Still do not understand why VGChronicles is not included, I think the blog is not seeing this topic as last year.
maybe it's about them being a new website? they started this year if i'm not mistaken, but they're a very good publication. a lot of good content, interviews, and their reviews are very well written.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So is voting for Death Stranding as GOTY the new "Own the libs" because it pisses off people who dislike Kojima and don't think that the game deserves the award?

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Is it though. What is with these snarky comments when DS wins something as if the fact that it pisses off its detractors a worthy achievement on its own.

Of course there are people who legitimately like it and that's fine but there are also a number of trolls who are in it for the lols. I keep hearing it in podcast with individuals saying that they want DS to win at the Game Awards just to see the madness that would ensue.

In the great scheme of things I guess it doesn't matter at all. Kojima is the only one who gets high off all the adoration. For me it's just an observation and we all have our opinions on this matter. Personally I hope that future games are far from being like Death Stranding, Kojima can keep his self proclaimed genre.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it though. What is with these snarky comments when DS wins something as if the fact that it pisses off its detractors a worthy achievement on its own.
I guess that's all what you wanna see because you hate the game.

And it can be seen here:
Kojima is the only one who gets high off all the adoration. For me it's just an observation and we all have our opinions on this matter. Personally I hope that future games are far from being like Death Stranding, Kojima can keep his self proclaimed genre.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that's all what you wanna see because you hate the game.

And it can be seen here:
Yeah definitely. And I have many gripes with this game. I know that not everyone will feel this way but personally I find it insulting to expect the player to watch the same cutscenes over and over again hundreds of times just because there is potentially some cutscenes scattered between that helps advance the plot and understandably very few people would want to skip those. Then there is the question of responsiveness and transversal.

Regardless I fully expect Kojima to win GOTY at the Game Awards tomorrow. I don't think that his divisive game deserves it but whatever, it is what it is.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I can't wait to get my hands on Death Stranding PC (my only option to play it).

I get that it's divisive, but it also looks like an incredibly acquired taste...one that I can totally get behind given my style of gaming.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The turnaround on Death Stranding from the moment the first reviews started to hit to now all these GOTY awards is very strange. It's definitely my Goty, I just think the reviews for it were very strange

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I can't wait to get my hands on Death Stranding PC (my only option to play it).

I get that it's divisive, but it also looks like an incredibly acquired taste...one that I can totally get behind given my style of gaming.
It's so good :) Great game with highly addictive gameplay.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
It will be funny to see Kojima haters reaction if DS wins both GOTY picks and TGA. People have been hating the game long before it was even out, and after reviews they used the handfull of bad reviews to validate their point that the game sucked, like that crappy IGN review.

I am pretty confident that this game will be seen as a classic in the future, but looks like we wont have to wait for this game have the recognition it deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.