Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I am hoping we get more characters in the future, let me play as Cassandra Cain or Batwoman

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
There's a Gamespot interview as well:
www.gamespot.com

Gotham Knights Devs On If Batman Is Really Dead, Gameplay Structure, And More

WB Montreal discusses its new game set in the Batman universe, making a distinctly new story, how the RPG systems work, and more.

Really interesting questions and answers here that clarify or further explain things, some choice excerpts:
So one of the big questions is the actual format of the game and the gameplay structure. A lot of people are trying to find other points of reference to liken it to, and the one that keeps coming up is Destiny, where it's like a kind of persistent universe. Can you, in your own terms, explain what this game is and how you play it?

Marty:
It's pretty simple. It's a third-person, open world action RPG. And I mean, that kind of sums it up. The whole game is fully playable solo. You can play on your own offline if you want to. There is no always online. And on top of that, if you want to experience that with a co-op partner in a very seamless drop in, drop out way, you can do so. And so there are no game as a service elements designed into the game. Yeah, that's pretty much it.
I guess structurally, is it similar to older Batman games, where you're going to points to find quest markers and then the story beat plays out and then you go to another point and solve a thing? Or is it more traditionally like Witcher style with quest givers?

Redding:
Well, comparing ourselves to Witcher is probably a … don't do that situation. But what I'd say is it's not what I would call the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie model of just go here and then trigger that. I mean, it's a living breathing ecosystem that supports a robust set of crimes out in the open world that could be committed by different factions, under different circumstances, with different objectives and goals. And your ability to go in and disrupt that night after night is also what's helping to [shape the city] ... You're completing certain challenges and doing things for NPCs, all these things that are going to ultimately lead you to, in some cases, another major piece of the storyline. And I'm saying that both in terms of the major mystery arc as well as, for example, the villain storylines.

So like everybody else, we work, we try to balance out how much of it is an open world experience versus how much of it is a narrative-driven experience. And what we came up with was a model, kind of a system of tracks for the player that they can kind of change lanes at their own liberty, which is great because it means different players are going to frankly experience that content different ways.
Can you clarify how the story part of that works? Does each character have their own story happening or is it like different perspectives on the same overall story?

Marty:
Yeah, I think the story is the same. You will get some nuances of course, because some characters have special relationships with certain people in Gotham City, but the overall story is the same whoever you're playing.

So if I start the game as Batgirl and then replay it as Nightwing, they generally will be on the same path, but with minor nuances to it?

Redding:
Yeah. I mean, when you get into a major narrative beat, the person you're talking to for example, like if you're speaking to a villain, their history with your character is often going to be reflected in the kind of dialogue that you're seeing. So even if the overall structure of the story remains consistent and it becomes something, you can dip into and out of with different characters if that's how you want to play, as Fleur put it, there's nuance, there's moments of nuance, the relationships in particular, that is reflected.
One of the interesting things that you talked about during the narrated gameplay video was, as you grow in your abilities, the enemies grow with you. That makes a lot of sense in terms of level scaling and that kind of stuff. From a design and player experience perspective, how do you balance keeping that challenge and maintaining the wish fulfillment, empowerment fantasy that people get out of being Batman or being one of these characters?

Redding:
Right. So the long story short is there are multiple axis for the player to progress on, right? It's their abilities, it's their gear. It's the specific loadout that they're bringing to the fight with them. So the player is constantly being presented with choices that they need to make. The second part of it is that when you're out in the open world, it's not to say that, "Oh, I'm level 10. So now everybody I face is level 10." There is kind of a range and a mix of encounters and enemies types that you're going to be dealing with. So players still, they're going to occasionally find themselves in situations where they have a very strong sense of being more powerful than their enemies. And in other situations, they're going to be more of the underdog. And I think what's great about that is we're not level gating our content. It's something where players have access to this content and to the whole world and to the crimes that are available to it. But they can at least assess whether this is a higher or lower risk situation for themselves.

Marty: Yeah. I think it's really important to mention there is no situation of, "I can't go to that part of the city because the enemies are too high level. I need to climb my way to there." The game is going to be scaling with you.

Great to see the city being more dynamic as an ecosystem with actual people. Interesting to see their comment about the police patrolling and doing so rather harshly, I wonder if you'll have to fight them too on ocassion.

This caught my attention too: "but you're also gliding over it or parkouring through it, grappling". Obviously we know these are in the game as we saw them and all, but I wonder if parkouring will have a more in depth system rather than just vaulting or wall-running.

The story thing is a bit unfortunate, especially since it doesn't seem they'll vary things much, so you'll probably get a minimal kind of interaction. I'd be more than fine with missions when you're forced to control a character and have more personalized dialogue and more elaborate cutscenes like that.

Last edited:

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
There's a Gamespot interview as well:
www.gamespot.com

Gotham Knights Devs On If Batman Is Really Dead, Gameplay Structure, And More

WB Montreal discusses its new game set in the Batman universe, making a distinctly new story, how the RPG systems work, and more.

Really interesting answers here that clarify or further explain things, some choice excerpts:

Great to see the city being more dynamic as an ecosystem with actual people. Interesting to see their comment about the police patrolling and doing so rather harshly, I wonder if you'll have to fight them too on ocassion.

This caught my attention too: " but you're also gliding over it or parkouring through it, grappling". Obviously we know these are in the game as we saw them and all, but I wonder if parkouring will have a more in depth system rather than just vaulting or wall-running.

They really want us to believe Batman is dead huh lol.

The ecosystem of Gotham sounds really cool, can't wait to see more of it.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
They really want us to believe Batman is dead huh lol.

The ecosystem of Gotham sounds really cool, can't wait to see more of it.
Yeah lmao. I feel bad tbh, there's no way to answer that question without people not going "oh, yeah, he's alive", especially if they something like "no comment".

I'm very interested to see what kind of random crimes they'll have, especially now that there are citizens and people live "normally". The ones in Spider-Man were so goddamn repetitive, only fun because of the great combat system.

Last edited:

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I'm still frustrated at not having a proper sequel to Arkham Knight... but the information in this interview thing honestly has me feeling more positive to this game.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
No freeflow can be a dealbreaker for me. I've spent countless hours in Arkham challenge rooms with a friend and the combat system is arguably the thing I liked the most in these games (that I like a lot in the first place).

I'm sad.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I was a little frustrated with the game, but after those interviews my hype was restored.

Especially these lines:

How big is the city and is there a convenient excuse to remove civilians from it like in previous Batman games--it's Christmas in Origins, for example, and the people are scared and evacuate in Knight. Will the city be fully populated with cars and people, and is there a day-night cycle?

Marty:
In terms of size, we have five boroughs that are across several islands, connected by bridges and all that. So it's a fairly big city. But also to tie it with your question about population, it's also a very dense city. That's something we really wanted to go and do--provide that fully living, breathing Gotham City experience to players. It's not a city where the population is missing or whatever. Of course it takes place at night. So again, day night cycle, where you're playing at night. Daytime is when you're in the Belfry and you're busting and gearing up for your next night of crime fighting. So of course you won't have crowds, but we have citizens. And that's really important for us because it's also, they are the one at the heart of all this, of the criminal factions and the GCPD going a bit rogue and chasing vigilantes. So the population is also at the heart of this.

Redding: Yeah. I think it's an ecosystem, right? And to have an ecosystem, you need all the pieces of it, which means you need citizens and you need the way they react to you as a vigilante or as a crime fighter versus how they'll react to you eventually when you kind of become known and trusted for them. You have a police force that is ostensibly protecting the citizens, but doing it in the most brutal, heavy-handed fashion possible. And then you have these criminal factions. And so that ecosystem demands a dynamic, very interactive version of Gotham. Also, like Fleur mentioned, it's not just one night. You're going back night after night of patrol, night after night of party crashing on crime, which means that the city needs to be very much alive and has traffic and all of those sorts of things.

Marty: Yeah. And big enough to give you all of those things to do. And also, we like to think about it also in terms of layers, because as a crime fighter, a lot of what you do is patrolling the streets, but you're also gliding over it or parkouring through it, grappling. So it also has that notion of layers.

Those kind of things related with the open world was what I most wanted from the game.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
EEy13R4WsAE0JnQ_copy.jpg

Nightwing better have some big cheeks.
He has to, or he's not Nightwing.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I knew that Freeflow was gone from the trailer. Probably doesn't make sense in an open world co-op game anyway.

Mad that a while back we had too many Arkham games back to back and they were getting a bit repetitive and now we are cold turkey for the foreseeable.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Not GaaS.... but sorta GaaS" thing aside, them confirming that you can play the whole game with any character is really disappointing.

That might seem good on paper and from a gameplay point of view, but story wise that means that the dialogues and overall story have to be written in broad and generic way so it would work regardless of which character you are playing as.

Could just be like GTAV. Open world play as anyone, but story missions would probably be character specific. With some probably being able to alternate.

Thats my guess at least.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Bummer about no free flow. Guess it's back to the light/heavy/block/dodge? With some gadgets tossed in, I guess.

New stories sounds like expansions. Expansion does not a GAAS make (for me).

-limited time offer loot, constant drip feed of stuff that tries to get you to play the game for weekly/monthly challenges + w/e else that's designed to keep "ongoing engagement" rather than making the game a finished experience- that's what i consider GAAS.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Could just be like GTAV. Open world play as anyone, but story missions would probably be character specific. With some probably being able to alternate.

Thats my guess at least.
Sadly in the new Gamespot interview that is posted above they confirm that this is not their approach and you can play any mission with any character and the overall story will play the same:
Can you clarify how the story part of that works? Does each character have their own story happening or is it like different perspectives on the same overall story?

Marty:
Yeah, I think the story is the same. You will get some nuances of course, because some characters have special relationships with certain people in Gotham City, but the overall story is the same whoever you're playing.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The combat looks freeflow enough to me; it just lacks those one hit takedowns once combo chains start going, making it more like Spider-Man's take on the combat IMO.

That's a boon to me.

The game taking place across multiple days is the best change that could've ever happened.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Why are some of y'all so hung up on the GAAS term? Arkham Knight had a ton of additional content available after release.

Aug 13, 2019
I realize Suicide Squad does, relegating Court of Owls to a spin-off unrelated to the franchise is a travesty, tbh...
It's honestly fine that Gotham Knights is a spin-off. At least this way they aren't forced to carry Arkham's baggage so they can do their own thing. I do think Rocksteady's Arkham would be a better style and tone for the Court of Owls compared to the more cartoony feeling Gotham Knights gives off.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The lack of Freeflow combat is a really big turnoff for me. Both they and Rocksteady seemed to struggle evolving it somewhat with their respective games but it was so solid that I find it odd that both WB Montreal and Rocksteady would drop it entirely for their new games. I still plan to give this game a fair shake as I liked what I saw of it but I really hope the end result was worth killing off Freeflow combat.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
No but I read that and think of shit like the new Assassins Creed.

It's funny because nothing about the combat is described as being Souls-like and the little bit we saw of didn't necessarily scream Souls to me but I also immediately thought "oh they're going to do Souls combat" when it was stated that they were dropping Freeflow combat.
Free flow is gone because of the co op. There's no way to make a rhythm combat system with two people without it being a frustrating experience for everyone involved.

I didn't even consider this but that makes total sense.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because nothing about the combat is described as being Souls-like and the little bit we saw of didn't necessarily scream Souls to me but I also immediately thought "oh they're going to do Souls combat" when it was stated that they were dropping Freeflow combat.

I didn't even consider this but that makes total sense.
it`s hard to not think the worst lol

that being said, im over it. bring it on

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Sadly in the new Gamespot interview that is posted above they confirm that this is not their approach and you can play any mission with any character and the overall story will play the same:
Yeah, this isn't encouraging. I like the Arkham combat so getting their take on a Marvel's Avengers type of GaaS game appeals to me. But if the story isn't really tailored made to the characters we are playing and they aren't even thinking about adding new characters with different player styles and moves, my expectations took a hit. This would be the perfect opportunity to give us Gotham By GaaSlight, introducing Black Canary, Green Arrow or if they truly wanted to go nuts, someone like Clay Face and even Gotham Girl:

yWWA4P5.jpg

If there is no difference on their power sets, the appeal seems to be "Arkham, but coop". And that's great, but it could be so much more.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bummer about no freeflow is that nothing is like it. So many games tried to ape it with zero success. Mad Max and LOTR are fine but feel nothing like it. Remember that TMNT game that tried it? Out of the shadows or something, that was horrible. Even Arkham Origins feels different from the Rocksteady Batman games.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Everything sounds pretty good to me so far!

Kind of worried that the Free-flow combat system is being moved away from, but this teams track record is good. I'm sure they will figure something out that's comparable and enjoyable.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
patrick Redding: "Yup! You could go back to the Belfry and say, 'Oh, I've just unlocked the next major piece of the mystery. And I need to go deal with this thing.' And you can decide that this is the perfect opportunity for me to swap out and play somebody else, so we allow you to dip in and out of those characters.

Ew. I thought they'd have quests tired to characters. That really makes me worry for the writing.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Wow, I'm amazed at everyone equating room for growth = GaaS in this thread.

GaaS is Destiny, Fortnite, Fall Guys, GTA Online where you have seasons and battle passes and weekly challenges where they expect you to be on and playing the game constantly. Avengers is gonna be GaaS. GaaS wants you spending money weekly, monthly, etc.

Witcher 3 was not GaaS but added new stories. Same for Control. Ghost of Tsushima isnt GaaS because it's adding a new co-op mode. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spider-Man aren't GaaS because they had DLC expansions. These games ask you for one extra single-game cost for their expansions

Gotham Knights is probably gonna fall in the latter based on what the developers said. It's not that hard to parse.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for sharing, and for the summary OP! I'm pumped for this like crazy! My wife and I will have a blast playing though this together.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Free flow was never anything more than serviceable

Doesn't mean what they do will be good or that it wasn't smart for Rocksteady to play it safe but I always thought it was a bit of a buzz kill they couldn't evolve out of that

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
The reality is that free flow combat would not work with level gating and co-op. Let's hope they nail the combat and it has enough depth and variety of enemy types to keep things engaging.

Spiderman def had free flow combat in its DNA. I personally found the combat in Spider-Man too easy, the gadgets were OP, and there wasn't enough variety in enemy types. Don't get me started on the stealth sections.....

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, about the only thing that I'm worried as of now is the story, as the rest sounds good (or even really good) and the concerns about this being more, say, Destiny than Arkham in terms of structure are gone.

I really want more nuance and personalized cutscenes when it comes to certain characters, like, say, Nightwing having some meaningful interactions and unique events relating to Deathstroke, for example. If the changes are minimum, I don't expect a whole lot of elaborate cutscenes, to be honest.

Also, the fact that they don't have specific-character missions means that you probably won't have much in the way of interaction between the playable characters beyond the Belfry, as you will always, seemingly, be able to play as whoever you want (and the coop character doesn't show up in cutscenes). Let's see, but yeah, this is the main concern right now. The rest I'm actually really excited about after being kinda doubtful during the first day (but obviously still excited and hopeful).
I had the chance to chat to the WB Montreal team as well. Unfortunately due to timezones, my slot was after the IGN one even went live, but I think there's some interesting tidbits in ours.

press-start.com.au

We Spoke To WB Montreal And Got All The Juicy Gotham Knights Details

We Spoke To WB Montreal And Got All The Juicy Gotham Knights Details
Great job, thanks for posting!

Nice that you can turn numbers off (or that they have that into account), good question lol.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow, I'm amazed at everyone equating room for growth = GaaS in this thread.

GaaS is Destiny, Fortnite, Fall Guys, GTA Online where you have seasons and battle passes and weekly challenges where they expect you to be on and playing the game constantly. Avengers is gonna be GaaS. GaaS wants you spending money weekly, monthly, etc.

Witcher 3 was not GaaS but added new stories. Same for Control. Ghost of Tsushima isnt GaaS because it's adding a new co-op mode. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spider-Man aren't GaaS because they had DLC expansions. These games ask you for one extra single-game cost for their expansions

Gotham Knights is probably gonna fall in the latter based on what the developers said. It's not that hard to parse.
Thank you.

It's like people want to connect the term GaaS to this game just so they can easily shit on it.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
The fact that you can play any mission as any character means that there won't be any narrative structure or character development. It seems to be just go take down this boss, then another boss. My expectations are really low now, so on the flip side I can only be impressed.