• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Freeflow gone, the enemy is defeated.

Now our eyes turn to Spider-Man...
At least there's Spider-Man to keep that style of combat alive.
Now hoping Insomniac don't make the same mistake RE: Freeflow.
Spider-Man ain't freeflow, y'all. If anything the new combat system in Gotham Knights looks more akin to Spider-Man. It frees up a ton of maneuverability.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Lets be honest: they ditched Freeflow because you'll be fighting enemies that are damage sponges due to the leveling system. So dancing around punching dudes with one hit at a time wouldnt work.

The focus in co-op, lvl system and new combat completely kills my hype

It will probably be a fun game alright, but it throws away pretty much everything that i loved in the Arkham games

Same with Suicide Squad. Rocksteady presentation skills are enormous. I loved their storytelling in all Arkham games. But with 4 player co-op it will suffer.

It's like Naughty Dog making a game multiplayer focused. Such a waste, imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I am pretty excited for this game since I feel I was kinda done with "Arkham" as a series post Knight.The only thing I wanted was for it's cliffhanger to be addressed, which Suicide Squad might do?

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
"Ties into ability tree and gear"
"Suits are customizable, but there will also be full skins"
"Room for growth within the game's universe. Possibly hinting at more stories coming in the future."

"NOT a GAAS"

Im gonna call bullshit on this
Really hope I'm wrong

Last edited:

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
GothamKnights_Reveal_RedHoodGotham_Screenshot.png

GothamKnights_Reveal_Coop_Screenshot.png

I really like how colorful Gotham looks, in general I like how Knights is more colorful then the Arkham series.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
"Ties into ability tree and gear"
"Suits are customizable, but there will also be full skins"
"Room for growth within the game's universe. Possibly hinting at more stories coming in the future."

"NOT a GAAS"

Im gonna call bullshit on this
Hope I'm wrong
The customizable suits part is in the trailer.

And it might not be gaas, but also could have a story expansion. Or hell, maybe even a full sequel. Doesn't mean it'll be consistently updated.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Well it sucks they're killing the free flow combat. I had a feeling they did that from the gameplay footage, but now we have confirmation. I just hope they don't go the Assassin's Creed direction and move the combat to the triggers, I really wasn't a fan of that.

At least there's Spider-Man to keep that style of combat alive.

Yup, just like any good combat system they did add complexity to it over time with the various enemy types, you just had to get good at using the different quick-fire gadgets and alternate dodges like knife and sword.

One of my favorite achievements in the Arkham games (and also one of the toughest) was doing EVERY combat move in a single combo. That means doing a ground takedown, punch, dodge, jump, yank, explosive gel, electric gun, ice/goo grenade, quick takedown, baterang, stun, etc.

When you got good at the combat and can keep the combo "flow" going even with a ton of different enemy types, it feels soooo good.

Agreed with all this. Freeflow was great. I played the shit out of the challenge rooms in Arkham City. However, there's a balance you need to find on how picky the game can be with that. Knight had too many fucking guys who could only be hit with one particular gadget or attack out of your entire loadout and it made the combat a fucking slog at the end. If the game directed your attack to a dude 2 inches to your target's left in a giant crowd, combo broken. Something like AC was perfect though. Spider-Man did a similarly good job of balancing the combat and making it fun as hell from start to finish.

The combat in the demo looked bland as hell.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
So am I still going to have an AI person with me when I do missions while playing single player? And can I pick one of the Knights and ignore the rest while playing through everything?

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
It just means that you won't have to go out and grind to be a high enough level to do a mission. You can do it no matter how low or high you are. The enemies within each mission will vary, so some mooks might be weak, but the brutes will obviously be higher.
It's enemies scale with you. They were explaining in that demo with Mr.Freeze that you fight him at your level, and he gains more moves the higher level you are.
But then why have levels at all? Why not set it up so that it's based on your % progression, or story progression or something rather than an arbitrary metric you can grind up?

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
But then why have levels at all? Why not set it up so that it's based on your % progression, or story progression or something rather than an arbitrary metric you can grind up?
Because there's so many quest lines and freedoms to do whatever that you have to still give a balanced difficulty.

Oct 25, 2017

Probably because it appeals to the lizard brain with "number go up" but then when the number is up, there is no point in going back to do content lower than the number because the rewards aren't worth it.

May 7, 2020
Quick Summary:

• Freeflow seemingly gone in favor of something more akin to traditional third person action games
  • Options for variations in melee, ranged and stealth types
  • Stamina bar (bottom left purple bar from gameplay vid) for specials attacks. Ties into ability tree and gear
  • Open world fully available from the jump
  • No level gating whatsoever
  • Enemy levels vary based on types of missions
  • Missions can be approached from different ways, stealth or straight action
  • Suits are customizable, but there will also be full skins
  • Game is fully single player with optional 2 player co-op
  • You can have two of the same character in co-op
  • NOT a GAAS
  • Multiple villains with their own branching storylines
  • Takes place over multiple nights, but daytime is limited to the Belfry (base of operations)
  • Room for growth within the game's universe. Possibly hinting at more stories coming in the future
now, this is good. day one

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Will there be stealth/Predator sections? I care way more about that than about the combat, but I fear that it'd be incompatible with more stat-oriented systems (and co-op AI, if one of you is discovered and the other isn't, could also get weird and tricky given that enemy design is usually about alert/not alert and oriented around just one player).

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GaaS is when a game receives anything additional, whether it's paid or not, in a number of forms such as new maps, new characters, new skins, new game play modes, etc. It's not a bad word.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Spider-Man ain't freeflow, y'all. If anything the new combat system in Gotham Knights looks more akin to Spider-Man. It frees up a ton of maneuverability.
It's a natural evolution from Batman's combat, but it still feels built on the DNA of freeflow.

It obviously focuses more on Spidey's strengths of maneuverability and adds a button for zipping to enemies rather than just doing a flying kick/punch to them like Batman, but you've still got the same control scheme and feel for punches, dodges, getting alerted to enemy attacks, and the same combo system that unlocks quick take downs (I think Spidey uses the stamina meter, but it builds up during combat just like the combo counter in Batman).

Gadgets are definitely different. Batman let's you quick-fire everything using different button combos, but Spider-Man you need to equip it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Will there be stealth/Predator sections? I care way more about that than about the combat, but I fear that it'd be incompatible with more stat-oriented systems (and co-op AI, if one of you is discovered and the other isn't, could also get weird and tricky given that enemy design is usually about alert/not alert and oriented around just one player).
I hope so. Those stealth/puzzle rooms were some of my favorite parts of the Arkham games.

They were always fairly seperate sections from the "combat" areas, so hopefully they can still make it work. Like when enemies haven't detected you, your stealth take downs work 100%.

If this is PURE combat the whole game it would be a disappointment. You need those stealth sections to help keep things fresh and avoid monotony.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Sounds all dandy to me. DC will clearly do comics for this, even TT´s Batman got them, but a toon prequel could do wonders for this game´s world-building.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
So there will only be meaningful conversations between characters in certain cut-scenes, not so much the walk-and-talk that happened in Arkham since your could be playing solo, or in teams you could be playing the same character... hmm.

I guess that's where Alfred comes in, he's the only character the Bats can talk to without issue.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
GaaS to me, always read as "MMO-lite." Like Destiny. A game that is built around the foundation of constant updates, lots of repeatable missions for grinding, 'raids', always online, multiplayer focused.

But, it seems sometimes people attribute it to games that will have a long tail of additional content after launch. Which is a fine definitions I guess, but it seems less useful as a term because most games have lots of DLC now-a-days.

But people seeing 'gear' and 'levels' and thinking that means GaaS, I don't get that. Games have had that shit since forever.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It's a natural evolution from Batman's combat, but it still feels built on the DNA of freeflow.

It obviously focuses more on Spidey's strengths of maneuverability and adds a button for zipping to enemies rather than just doing a flying kick/punch to them like Batman, but you've still got the same control scheme and feel for punches, dodges, getting alerted to enemy attacks, and the same combo system that unlocks quick take downs (I think Spidey uses the stamina meter, but it builds up during combat just like the combo counter in Batman).

Gadgets are definitely different. Batman let's you quick-fire everything using different button combos, but Spider-Man you need to equip it.
What? Spider-Man was Arkham combat with some twists like the healing mechanic and the Spider-Man specific moves.
Maybe y'all need to go back and play Spider-Man but it's not freeflow. Not at all. It controls completely differently, and isn't reliant on rhythm, has a ton of maneuverability to it, and allows you to use the environment in completely different ways. Plus, Spider-Man's combo counter doesn't go away when you stand still, nor can he bounce across an entire room just by pressing square. I could go more in depth on why it's ain't that but ima stop there.

It ain't freeflow.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dual team takedowns in Arkham Knight were the titties, actually.

But yeah, that's it.
Blade dodge takedowns are absolutely excellent. The redirect aerial was pretty cool too.

Maybe y'all need to go back and play Spider-Man but it's not freeflow. Not at all. It controls completely differently, and isn't reliant on rhythm, has a ton of maneuverability to it, and allows you to use the environment in completely different ways. Plus, Spider-Man's combo counter doesn't go away when you stand still, nor can he bounce across an entire room just by pressing square. I could go more in depth on why it's ain't that but ima stop there.

It ain't freeflow.
Played it. Remember it well. Felt like freeflow but more forgiving in a way that made it less satisfying. The ability to preserve combo during traversal was a neat addition but otherwise it felt like a shallow imitation. The gadgets were also disappointingly OP. Like there was zero point in engaging with the combat in any real depth most of the time, particularly during the combat challenges, when you could just hit a button and takedown a bunch of dudes, and do that over and over and over. It had differences from freeflow as it had been excellent in the arkham games, but the shared DNA was obvious and undeniable.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
How would you differentiate Arkham's freeflow combat to more traditional action? Not sure if I understand the distinction.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Lets hope the combat is up to par, and they didn't drop Freeflow just for the sake of changing things.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
How would you differentiate Arkham's freeflow combat to more traditional action? Not sure if I understand the distinction.

It's been a while since I played, but from what I recall Arkham's combat was really more of a rhythm game where your action automatically snapped to the next target regardless of distance. Something like Spiderman required more from the player in terms of closing the gap and making sure you aren't hitting air.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
What? Spider-Man was Arkham combat with some twists like the healing mechanic and the Spider-Man specific moves.
Don't know about that, chief. It obviously takes influence from Arkham but I feel like some of you need a refresher on Spider-Man tbh.

This combat system looks closer to Spider-Man's though, was the first thing I thought. Batgirl even dodges like him it seems.