Status
Not open for further replies.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
So this is not the Netflix for video games. What's the point ? I don't understand who this is aimed at.

I'm so disappointed, I can't comprehend what they are thinking (if I understood everything, which I'm still not sure).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure the $9.99/month option is not going to be "just Destiny 2 and maybe a couple more games" type thing ... that is going to be basically their version of GamePass, it's just starting small, which is basically how every streaming service starts.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I preordered one because I have unlimited data internet. I looked and the Chromecast that comes with it is $69.99 and the controller is the same, so you're actually saving money with the Founders Pack. If it's terrible, at least I have a good Chromecast.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks this is a good deal?

If I buy a $400 console and use it for 5 years, its basically like paying $6.67 per month. Keep in mind that something like a PS5 Pro or XboxTwo X could come out sometime during that period, so you could end up doing buying a mid-gen refresh. Stadia at $10 a month is like paying $600 for 5 years for a high settings PC or Pro version of a next-gen console. Maybe the hardware behind the Stadia servers is updated every couple of years or whatever but still runs at a higher performance than a console.

There are many other value factors that make me question Stadia like exclusives and data caps, but I think from a cost perspective it's really not that bad when compared to the higher end SKU's.
You have a lot of trade-offs. For example, with Stadia you absolutely must have a strong internet connection at all times. This is a bigger issue for some people than others.

Me? I failed the speedtest for 720p, the lowest option.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So this is not the Netflix for video games. What's the point ? I don't understand who this is aimed at.

I'm so disappointed, I can't comprehend what they are thinking (if I understood everything, which I'm still not sure).

There's a core presumption underlying all these kinds of posts: that owning a console is actually better than streaming.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
The more common that becomes the better network infrastructure we'll have too to sustain it all no?
I would say it is going to be a big problem immediately for anyone that has a family or roommates. I was actually thinking this would be something I would be into, then remembered my roommate and I stream all our TV/movies and she watches TV all day when shes home. I highly doubt having both Netflix/Amazon/etc streaming at the same time as Stadia wont cause severe issues.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure the $9.99/month option is not going to be "just Destiny 2 and maybe a couple more games" type thing ... that is going to be basically their version of GamePass, it's just starting small, which is basically how every streaming service starts.
I disagree, I think it's their version of the free games you get with XBox Live or PS Plus. If you aren't subscribed in a month where they offer a game, you won't get access to that game when you subscribe. The way they word the fine print on their website about it, that's what it sounds like to me.

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A "PC" that you can't install steam on, can't play the games on that you already own, and have to buy every game again to play on it.

100% correct. I'm personally sticking with GeForce now just because of this. It's just a bit tiring to see post after post expecting Google to run these extremely demanding and costly data-streaming centers (4K, ultra Settings, 60fps) for free and use the 9.99 to offer something like a game pass library. This technology is expensive. You can't compare it with Netflix who just stream a video file.

The fact that they're not going to charge (except for the game itself) you for playing a maxed out 1080p 60fps game on their servers is actually pretty cool.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

If I buy a $400 console and use it for 5 years, its basically like paying $6.67 per month. Keep in mind that something like a PS5 Pro or XboxTwo X could come out sometime during that period, so you could end up doing buying a mid-gen refresh. Stadia at $10 a month is like paying $600 for 5 years for a high settings PC or Pro version of a next-gen console. Maybe the hardware behind the Stadia servers is updated every couple of years or whatever but still runs at a higher performance than a console.
I agree with you completely. I pay $5/mo for PS+ and I still have to buy new games that come out on the system AND, like you said, I have to pay up front for the hardware. I'll be glad to get out of buying hardware for a small increase in my monthly gaming service charge.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
A bit disappointed that the Pro tier isn't more Netflix-esque. It's still mainly purchasing games yourself, with occasional freebies.

I'm certainly not going to purchase streaming-only games individually, and I don't care about Destiny 2 at all, so it's a pass for now. Maybe when they build up their free library a bit more.
Yeah I feel like this would at the very least be a really easy "yeah I'll try that!" Thing if
1) it was launching with a Gamepass-like selection of games.
2) it was launching on more than Chrome, Chromecast and Pixel phones. Chrome is good because it means it's easy to get on your computer but the lack of an easy TV or mobile option unless you're in on Google's ecosystem really limits the appeal. Especially given Chromecasts and Pixel phones aren't even close to being the most popular devices in their categories.

Personally I replaced my Chromecast with an Apple TV last year because of the lack of 4K content on movie services that support Chromecast (in the U.K. at least) I'm not getting a new one for games.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Game Pass did not start off with one game and Stadia will not include those games announced for $9.99 per month. In Stadia's defense you will be getting up to 4k and 60fps gameplay with instant access.

Hmm, I preordered one because I have unlimited data internet. I looked and the Chromecast that comes with it is $69.99 and the controller is the same, so you're actually saving money with the Founders Pack. If it's terrible, at least I have a good Chromecast.

And a new controller that hopefully works on Steam and other PC games.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Like predicted, it will be the game selection that will kill this and not the product itself.
I really hope the free library increases and stadia is a success but this initial lineup doesn't seem very attractive.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
You pay monthly a fee.
You have to pay for the game you want to play
Main thing of the system is streaming
600 bucks for 5 years gaming with 4K and for games you have to pay like on consoles.

Yep this is the future if you have a big wallet.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

I agree with you completely. I pay $5/mo for PS+ and I still have to buy new games that come out on the system AND, like you said, I have to pay up front for the hardware. I'll be glad to get out of buying hardware for a small increase in my monthly gaming service charge.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
There's a core presumption underlying all these kinds of posts: that owning a console is actually better than streaming.

Well, for me it is. I understand that some people want to get rid of consoles as soon as possible (there is the PC alternative though), but I was expecting some Netflix-like revolutionary model.

That's on me, nevermind.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Anyone know if the Nexus Player controller will function as a Stadia Controller?

Look about the same, though I guess its missing one button

73b16d6202fe46e8f6a28872553b2652-320-80.jpg

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
I'm not sure why people keep comparing stadia to console gaming. It's a PC gaming service. You don't need to pay for online on PC.
Stadia seems like PC gaming without steam. Good deal? Debatable.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Since you can just buy games up front and stream them for free yeah

The pro sub needs to approach Game Pass status to be viable i think

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Also the "hey you know you have to buy new $70 controllers every gen" has become quite a racket. By the time you walk out of the store with that new PS5/XB2, you've likely dropped over $600.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
So basically you are buying a future proof console (PC) for $9.99 per month and buy games on it as you do on consoles or mobile. And you can also use it for free for crappier resolution/audio. I guess it can be good for some if the lag is negligible. To me, exclusives matter which is why I stick with Sony/PS and most likely PS will move to this kind of a solution with their platform in the future where PS will not be a physical console anymore but something in the cloud (aka PS Now).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people keep comparing stadia to console gaming. It's a PC gaming service. You don't need to pay for online on PC.
Because that's how it's marketed, and it's more like a console than a PC. Developers even have to port their PC games to Stadia, they don't just work, it isn't just a normal PC. Stadia is like a game console that you stream. And doesn't require owning a PC.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

It's not though...its a platform gaming service. PC is just one of the options for devices.
You can get the same experience streaming from a smartphone as you can from a laptop as you can from Chromecast

Stadia uses Linux/Vulkan it will need to get ported from devs.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we honestly think the new consoles will do 4k 60fps on every game?

My connection says I can do 1080p and 60fps (even though my connection is 50mbps but only 10mbps upload) but I can always change my plan once I get a 4K TV. How can you make a convincing argument to those who are not interested in the first place or to those who don't have access to at least 10mbps connections? The convincing argument is for those who want instant access that have good connections but dont want to spend hundreds if not thousands on hardware.
I was talking about mobile networks, are you?

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Because that's how it's marketed, and it's more like a console than a PC. Developers even have to port their PC games to Stadia, they don't just work, it isn't just a normal PC. Stadia is like a game console that you stream. And doesn't require owning a PC.
A console without exclusives or playstation games. And a PC without steam.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not but I could very well see Destiny hitting those marks. Again I don't really care about all that. If it were to stay 30fps on console like I've been playing it for 5 years now I'd be fine with it.
To each their own but now that I'm spoiled on the PC I could never go back, especially on some genres like racing, sports, shooting, and racing (I guess that is a sport too) games.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
Well I am hoping that xCloud is like purchasing the game and being able to stream when I want to. That way when the streams are down or they close servers, I still have the purchased game... Get what I am saying?

If you purchased it you'll always 'have' it. The problem is when as you say 'the streams are down' then you can't play anything, because you don't have anywhere local to run the game. I hope that's clear.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, the real news is that it's the first game streaming service that I'm aware of that will have a subscription free option, which is going to be a massive boon for indies and free to play games. In comparison, Stadia Pro is currently poor value for money, since it'll just increase the max resolution of the stream and include access to one game. Admittedly, that one game is Destiny 2, which ain't nothing.

With that all said: the Founder's Edition pack isn't bad. I'm not going to lie, it is within "worth a punt" territory. That said, I am going to wait and see if Microsoft announces Xcloud on Sunday before pre-ordering anything.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

There are many other value factors that make me question Stadia like exclusives and data caps, but I think from a cost perspective it's really not that bad when compared to the higher end SKU's.
Yea it seems like a good deal especially as they should update the hardware at some point like you said. I want to know what online shooters would be like, didn't DF say the xbox 1x has high(er) latency or am I remembering wrong. Buying games digital would be like whatever as it would be no differene to buying on a console really. So much that needs to be known still.

ehagans

Nov 3, 2017
You have a lot of trade-offs. For example, with Stadia you absolutely must have a strong internet connection at all times. This is a bigger issue for some people than others.

Me? I failed the speedtest for 720p, the lowest option.

I agree. I think internet connection is the biggest concern, especially with the marketing pushing the play anywhere aspect. But for those with sufficient internet speeds, it could be a viable alternative to a console just in terms of playing at home with a stable connection and being able to use multiple screens.

I was actually surprised that my speed tested fast enough for 4k since I live in a smaller town. Unfortunately, my ISP has a 1TB data cap so I'm out on Stadia unless something changes.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So basically you are buying a future proof console (PC) for $9.99 per month and buy games on it as you do on consoles or mobile. And you can also use it for free for crappier resolution/audio. I guess it can be good for some if the lag is negligible. To me, exclusives matter which is why I stick with Sony/PS and most likely PS will move to this kind of a solution with their platform in the future where PS will not be a physical console anymore but something in the cloud (aka PS Now).

You say "crappier" like it's not what the vast majority of *core* gamers are using:
resolution.png

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.