Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool but the only reason I'd do this is if the games are significantly cheaper or if I didn't have a console that could run things at the performance I want. Neither of those seem to be the case so far though. They really need a GamePass like vault where you pay $15 a month and then can buy the newest stuff on top of that.

I'm sure as time passes, the lineup of games for $10/month will come more in line with a service like Game Pass.

They're not obviously going to charge $10/month forever for Destiny 2. It will grow into that, but it's just launching, you can't expect hundreds of games day 1 either.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So what I'm wondering is the games you get access to for 'free' on Pro. Is it like PSN where once you go to the free model you lose them? They only mention that you keep your paid titles.

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get who would buy the "pro" subscription. A console generation last around 7 years, if you pay the subscription for that time you would end up paying more than for a console (which is a far better option than streaming)

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really thinking about getting this, do you have to pay right away with the pre order for the bundle thingy maggiggy?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Again no. It's more like getting a PS5 for free, paying $10 a month for PS+ and getting PS+ games for free while you buy other games. OR it's like you got a PS5 for free (that was locked to 1080p 60fps) and given the option to buy whatever games you want.

Free is 1080p 30fps (not 60).

From the official FAQ
"What is the quality Stadia will stream content at?
Stadia will be able to stream games up to 4K HDR and 60 FPS quality for Stadia Pro subscribers. Non-subscribers can stream games up to 1080p and 30 FPS. Like any other Internet streaming experience, hig

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Better than spending $1000 to build a PC to spend $60 on a game to play it at 4K 60fps.

There is a big question on how latency will effect the feel of the games, but the pricing model seems fine to me.
You are spending $9.99 for access to 4k as well as a growing list of free games with Destiny 2 being one of them. You will need to buy new games like any other platform but you will own them and they will stream at 1080p even if you do not sub when the free model releases next year.

You are offsetting the cost of a console/gaming pc and local storage medium with the sacrifice of streaming the game from Stadia's servers.
Thanks, yeah that's terrible business model imo. Just adds an additional cost to all games on Stadia instead of an immediate one, that'd be cheaper in the long run (especially PC), as their console equivalents will likely be 4K too.
1080p being free to buy is good though, thankfully I couldn't care much for 4K too, but I'd never sub to that service in it's current state.

I wonder if they get the Console digital tax from 3rd parties too? Like we do in the UK, with digital usually being £60 instead of the physical versions that range from £35-£55 depending on the store.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
PSA: you can play Stadia on any laptop with keyboard and mouse controls or DS4/XB1 controls. You don't need to buy any Google-branded hardware to play Stadia*

* after it launches for real in 2020... or presumably if you get invited by a friend with a founders program code.

Has the 2020 been confirmed for Pro sub?

It sounds like you can buy the Founders which ships in November. But they've only mentioned 2020 as the release for the free model they have planned.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A whole lot of assumptions 🤔 There are multiple threads on the Demos and ppl complaining about the lag and showing it, that isn't assumption it was evidence shown. Will they iron tht out, sure but we all know it won't be console quality.

I'll leave it at that and we shall see. Psnow is pretty good imo so if this does better than they'll be good to go however the pricing model for me still isn't there for me.

Tying input lag to graphical quality doesn't really have a correlation though. They could make a game with Pixar quality graphics if they want, that has nothing to do with latency or input lag.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny that I've seen a lot of videos regarding stadia hands on and the majority of them said the opposite of you're saying.

Even Digital Foundry said it's very promising after testing it two times in different time periods.

If you say so, the cloud does allow for resource sharing something consoles won't do.
Tying input lag to graphical quality doesn't really have a correlation though. They could make a game with Pixar quality graphics if they want, that has nothing to do with latency or input lag.

We shall see. I'll keep an open mind and yes I understand your point.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't get who would buy the "pro" subscription. A console generation last around 7 years, if you pay the subscription for that time you would end up paying more than for a console (which is a far better option than streaming)

I read on ResetEra that Stadia will be cancelled in 2021, so I'm not really worried about that.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Is Destiny 2 really the only game launching on their subscription service?

That seems insane they they think people will pay $10/month at launch for one game that is going free to play everywhere else.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny that I've seen a lot of videos regarding stadia hands on and the majority of them said the opposite of you're saying.

Even Digital Foundry said it's very promising after testing it two times in different time periods.

If you say so, the cloud does allow for resource sharing something consoles won't do.

I'll keep an open mind and I'll try it to see for myself when it releases. I think Psnow works pretty well so if this does better than I'll be a believer.

twisted

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed a Founders Pack - figured the controller and the Chromecast Ultra are what I'm paying for but at this point I don't see myself paying full price for games thru their service unless heavily discounted

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

That seems insane they they think people will pay $10/month at launch for one game that is going free to play everywhere else.

It's Destiny 2 + expansions including Shadowkeep. The list of titles will grow and a possibility there will be more available at launch

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
Free is 1080p 30fps (not 60).

From the official FAQ
"What is the quality Stadia will stream content at?
Stadia will be able to stream games up to 4K HDR and 60 FPS quality for Stadia Pro subscribers. Non-subscribers can stream games up to 1080p and 30 FPS. Like any other Internet streaming experience, hig

Y0h95Jhl.png

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again no. It's more like getting a PS5 for free, paying $10 a month for PS+ and getting PS+ games for free while you buy other games. OR it's like you got a PS5 for free (that was locked to 1080p 60fps) and given the option to buy whatever games you want.
It's not like getting a game console for free.

It's more like buying a movie off itunes that you can only stream. Do you say "it's like getting a BluRay player for free?"

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Based on your current download speed of 125.62 Mbps, we expect you'll have a high-performance gaming experience on Stadia.

I have a 350 Mbps connection,but hey, if Stadia comes as a free trial to my Android TV, I'll be sure to try it out!

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

That's not what they think. They think early adopters will be willing to pay for the 4k service this year before Stadia is widely available. These are the games expected to be available at launch:

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Ubisoft
  • Baldur's Gate 3 - Larian Studios
  • Borderlands 3 - 2K
  • The Crew 2 - Ubisoft
  • Darksiders Genesis - THQ Nordic
  • Destiny 2 - Bungie
  • Doom - Bethesda Softworks
  • Doom Eternal - Bethesda Softworks
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - Bandai Namco
  • The Elder Scrolls Online - Bethesda Softworks
  • Farming Simulator 19 - Giants Software
  • Final Fantasy 15 - Square Enix
  • Football Manager - Sega
  • Get Packed - Coatsink
  • GRID - Codemasters
  • Gylt - Tequila Works
  • Just Dance - Ubisoft
  • Metro Exodus - Deep Silver
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
  • NBA 2K - 2K
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid - nWay Games
  • Rage 2 - Bethesda Softworks
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - Square Enix
  • Samurai Shodown - SNK
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Square Enix
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint - Ubisoft
  • Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - Ubisoft
  • Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - Square Enix
  • Thumper - Drool
  • Trials Rising - Ubisoft
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood - Bethesda Softworks

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I think one big issue that I haven't seen discussed (yet) is what happens when someone else in your house wants to watch Netflix or stream some TV, but you want to play a game. I could see it pretty much killing all your bandwidth once more than the game is being streamed on the internet connection.

I also don't think this is a unique scenario. I would say a very large portion of people play games while someone else is watching tv at the house. This will only get worse and worse as cable boxes become obsolete and more people are streaming TV shows.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
A bit disappointed that the Pro tier isn't more Netflix-esque. It's still mainly purchasing games yourself, with occasional freebies.

I'm certainly not going to purchase streaming-only games individually, and I don't care about Destiny 2 at all, so it's a pass for now. Maybe when they build up their free library a bit more.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's not what they think. They think early adopters will be willing to pay for the 4k service this year before Stadia is widely available. These are the games expected to be available at launch:
You have to buy these games full price i think he was talking about games included in the sub.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think most people are going to use the 4k version anyway? I have a 4k TV, but most people I know don't. And even among those who do, plenty of them would probably be happy playing 1080p games on it.
Same here, I have 4K tv but will be using the free sub, if I see a free game or discount that looks good then I'll get 1 month of sub to play it then cancel afterwards

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I've been playing it just fine on consoles for years now so clearly I don't mind playing at 30FPS. Also there are new consoles coming...

Do we honestly think the new consoles will do 4k 60fps on every game?

Because in order to access that virtual machine you have to have very good internet connection and reliability. Most mobile networks are not set up for streaming high performance games. Either way they are doing a port, because Stadia doesn't just run PC games as is, they have to be ported. You haven't made a convincing argument for why Stadia is a more attractive option for the developer and the consumer.

My connection says I can do 1080p and 60fps (even though my connection is 50mbps but only 10mbps upload) but I can always change my plan once I get a 4K TV. How can you make a convincing argument to those who are not interested in the first place or to those who don't have access to at least 10mbps connections? The convincing argument is for those who want instant access that have good connections but dont want to spend hundreds if not thousands on hardware.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like getting a game console for free.

It's more like buying a movie off itunes that you can only stream. Do you say "it's like getting a BluRay player for free?"
No but that's because Blu-Ray players are cheap as hell. When you're given access to something that would otherwise have to played on something that costs $400+, I think that's a pretty significant factor. That wasn't really the point of the comparison though. The PS+ part was.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I dont care what DF said I'm going by what was actually posted several times on Twitter I mean we had a whole thread on it. Obviously performance will vary but doesn't bode well when it's happening in controlled environments.
So you don't care about actual measured values using the latest version of the Stadia software by a reputable site known for getting very detailed about performance, just some random internet opinions? OK...

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
If I am reading and understanding everything correctly, this sounds like a pretty bad deal to me. I'm honestly shook at how many people I know have already preordered and said it sounds amazing.

ehagans

Nov 3, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks this is a good deal?

If I buy a $400 console and use it for 5 years, its basically like paying $6.67 per month. Keep in mind that something like a PS5 Pro or XboxTwo X could come out sometime during that period, so you could end up doing buying a mid-gen refresh. Stadia at $10 a month is like paying $600 for 5 years for a high settings PC or Pro version of a next-gen console. Maybe the hardware behind the Stadia servers is updated every couple of years or whatever but still runs at a higher performance than a console.

There are many other value factors that make me question Stadia like exclusives and data caps, but I think from a cost perspective it's really not that bad when compared to the higher end SKU's.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think one big issue that I haven't seen discussed (yet) is what happens when someone else in your house wants to watch Netflix or stream some TV, but you want to play a game. I could see it pretty much killing all your bandwidth once more than the game is being streamed on the internet connection.

I also don't think this is a unique scenario. I would say a very large portion of people play games while someone else is watching tv at the house. This will only get worse and worse as cable boxes become obsolete and more people are streaming TV shows.
The more common that becomes the better network infrastructure we'll have too to sustain it all no?

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you don't care about measured studies using the latest version of the Stadia software by a reputable site known for getting very detailed about performance, just some random opinions? OK...

Your late to the party I already said I'll keep an open mind after comments I've read. I enjoyed Psnow and if it works even better then I'll be a believer.

Status
Not open for further replies.