• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This product is filling an interesting niche for the YouTube/Twitch generation. Streamer is playing a multiplayer game, I want to play as well, one click and you're in.

I've never thought about it but I suppose there are plenty of people who find a game interesting and want to play it, but are probably more inclined to just keep watching rather than going out of their way to buy it and then having to play from the beginning, which would be annoying for slower paced games. This is a way to monetize that userbase I suppose.

I guess my only concern is that the target audience seems kind of niche.

ratrosaw

Oct 23, 2017

I feel that it would be helpful to clarify that a little bit. The picture displayed at the conference features edge network nodes Google builds/operates, including Google Data Centers/Google Cloud Platform regions, Google PoPs (Points of Presence), and Google Global Cache. For most people, when you access Google services, your traffic generally follows this path:

Your Device -> ISP -> PoP -> Data Center (with static contents served by Google Global Cache; for games it might be pre-rendered scenes, subtitles, audio files, etc.)

If helpful, think of PoPs as gateways to Google network; they are not data centers and do not run much workload, but they help provide a better network experience by granting you an optimized pathway to Google Data Centers. You do not need to live near a Google Data Center to get the best performance; being (physically) close to a PoP would suffice.

A list of Google-related PoPs are available here: Google Fiber, Google LLC, Google LLC AS36040.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Sure, there's always the possibility they'll pull the plug, but I think that these concerns are a little misaligned. Stadia is more analogous to something like Google Play (the Android app store) than services they have discontinued like Google+, Orkut, or even something like Google Glass. Like Google Play, Stadia only works as an ecosystem of develops/publishers with a vested interest in the continuation of the platform. So I don't think it's as fragile as experimental/beta efforts that Google only does on its own.

Of course, it will all depend on continued interest of developers/publishers to publish there, but there is a difference in the model of Stadia that separates it from those other services.

I guess we'll see. But with Google being notorious for regularly killing projects and services without impunity, a bit of caution is not unwarranted I think.

Here's a fun website about all the things they created/bought and then killed. The list is very long and includes many different types of products of varied scale:

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Being familiar with Google's offerings in the compute cloud world, they tend to provide strong configuration options and capabilities for all levels of users. If modding is a thing gamers want, that background of theirs makes me believe they are more likely than not to offer such options, and certainly more likely than companies like Sony or Microsoft.
that's because cloud infrastructure is basically useless without configuration options. there is no reason to think that will translate to games being moddable on their streaming platform by regular joe consumers. Not to mention that your regular joe isn't even going to be a customer of google cloud. Let me ask you how configurable google drive is, because that's a much closer comparison to this service for your analogy.
And even if they do implement some modding support they are never going to give you access to executables and all the raw data files which makes 90% of the actually interesting modding work unviable. Btw, comparing this with sony and MS streaming services is a bit strange when what people actually are worried about is modding on pc going away(as more games go streaming only).

Last edited:

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I was always curious how does the payout for streaming games work. The music industry is screwing artists with streaming and I cannot figure out how a dev would get paid for they games they allow to be streamed..

Game studio will be in much worse situation because music artists at least can give live concerts...

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who wants to own as much media as possible in physical form... this is definitely not for me.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This product is filling an interesting niche for the YouTube/Twitch generation. Streamer is playing a multiplayer game, I want to play as well, one click and you're in.

I've never thought about it but I suppose there are plenty of people who find a game interesting and want to play it, but are probably more inclined to just keep watching rather than going out of their way to buy it and then having to play from the beginning, which would be annoying for slower paced games. This is a way to monetize that userbase I suppose.

I guess my only concern is that the target audience seems kind of niche.
That's basically how I see this, Google using this to tie more into Streaming culture and people who watch games but can't afford a game station or fancy computer to run graphics. While also providing content creators more ways to interact with fans.

But I still feel the group they are targeting here is incredibly niche and I can't really see it take off unless a ton of lets players are being paid to utilize it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I guess we'll see. But with Google being notorious for regularly killing projects and services without impunity, a bit of caution is not unwarranted I think.

Here's a fun website about all the things they created/bought and then killed. The list is very long and includes many different types of products of varied scale:

https://killedbygoogle.com/
Some of those lasted quite a while. Google+ was never popular but it lasted 8 years.

I have some faith that Stadia will last at least 5 years.

Even then they'll still have to make sure the games are accessible if people purchased them or something.

Oct 28, 2017
Niche?! It's for anyone that wants to play Fortnite or Apex, or whatever the next big things is, without splashing out on a several hundred dollar box.

There's a potential audience of hundreds of million day one with a very low barrier to entry.

You don't even need to buy the controller as far as I can tell... just whip out your phone or play on your Mac/PC/Tablet with zero investment.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see the name Stadia I think of the Activia brand of yogurt...

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Also, regarding preservation...maybe it isn't as clear cut as the obvious. I mean, if all the games are on the Big Google Cloud out there, then aren't they pretty permanent, for all intents and purposes? Are we worried about what will happen to all our Android apps when Google goes down? In a way, isn't that more reliable than some dude somewhere archiving discs or something similar?

Preservation ought to be profit-agnostic and not entrusted to any for-profit company, let alone one whose business model is to put ads in front of people.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
This is dead in Australia, internet sucks so much here.

That presentation was a ton of nothing... absolutely nothing to show, but hype tweets? lol

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Niche?! It's for anyone that wants to play Fortnite or Apex, or whatever the next big things is, without splashing out on a several hundred dollar box.

There's a potential audience of hundreds of million day one with a very low barrier to entry.

You don't even need to buy the controller as far as I can tell... just whip out your phone or play on your Mac/PC/Tablet with zero investment.

But is there a market for people that want to play a video game but literally don't even have a smartphone (which is where the real low barrier of entry games are ) and is willing to buy a device to pay a subscription to play those games?

Oct 28, 2017
But is there a market for people that want to play a video game but literally don't even have a smartphone (which is where the real low barrier of entry games are ) and is willing to buy a device to pay a subscription to play those games?

1. We do not know a device (the controller) is needed. It wasn't for the beta.
2. We do not know the business model, so I dare say they will not even need to pay a penny to play Fortnite et al. The money to support these games will come from Epic and other publishers to lease the infrastructure*.

* Edit: I guess throw IAP cut in there too?

Last edited:

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I feel that it would be helpful to clarify that a little bit. The picture displayed at the conference features edge network nodes Google builds/operates, including Google Data Centers/Google Cloud Platform regions, Google PoPs (Points of Presence),.

But PoP is not just a glorified name for cache? I don't think it will solve the requirement of computing power to generate unique content for each user.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I have a decent internet connection. If there is a way to store save games on a local piece of hardware, I think I would be interested in this. I spend thousands of dollars on hardware during each generation. If I could avoid that somehow, I'm game.

I wonder what games will be on it, though. If EA pc games are exclusively on origin, and activision-blizzard games are on battlenet, and bethesda games are on their launcher, that only leaves who? Square-Enix and ubisoft? Indies? I guess we will learn more.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
1. We do not know a device (the controller) is needed. It wasn't for the beta.
2. We do not know the business model, so I dare say they will not even need to pay a penny to play Fortnite et al. The money to support these games will come from Epic and other publishers to lease the infrastructure.

If they make it free that will be some wild shit. Taking up computations on a remote system for free would be something else.

But if a person owns a device to interface with Stevia, they can also play the sort of low spec games that are popular.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Google sadly try, it's not bad for trying.
In paper it's like amazing, but reality is far from it, you internetconnection all the time, it has to be so good

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
that's because cloud infrastructure is basically useless without configuration options. there is no reason to think that will translate to games being moddable on their streaming platform by regular joe consumers. Not to mention that your regular joe isn't even going to be a customer of google cloud. Let me ask you how configurable google drive is, because that's a much closer comparison to this service for your analogy

Google Drive is highly configurable because it provides an API. You may say "but that's for developers", but anyone can get developer credentials. So anyone who is interested enough can do what they like with it. You're typically not a "regular joe" if you're messing around with mods on PC either -- you have to be into it. So there is a parallel of sorts there. But my larger comment was that Google as a company has a history of opening up their products through things like APIs and such. They have a culture of pro-customization. These kinds of features come about when a company has such a culture/background. So in these early days (where they haven't revealed details yet), what I'm saying is that they have a greater propensity / likelihood of offering such possibilities than most other companies.

ratrosaw

Oct 23, 2017
But PoP is not just a glorified name for cache? I don't think it will solve the requirement of computing power to generate unique content for each user.

It actually isn't a different term for cache. You are right that PoPs do not compute; in the case of Stadia they help make it faster to serve rendered scenes and deliver user inputs. I am pretty sure the data centers themselves have enough power to prepare contents.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Much like PSNow, it will never reach countries outside NA/Europe. And if it does, it will be garbage, because it will be limited by terrible ISPs and their data caps (yes, Americans, things are even shittier elsewhere).

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I like PC gaming mostly because of the low input lag. So I'm definitely not the market for this.

But I understand the market Google is going for. But I feel like this has been tried, and the reason why it fails every time is because broadband Internet in the US is overall terrible.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Its cool that there is no dongle and the controller isn't required. So you can just play right away through Chrome and the controller you already have. The key unknowns (beyond performance) are of course the software lineup and the pricing structure.

I tuned out of the presentation after like 30 minutes, were there any other games mentioned besides AC and Doom? And was there any mention of first-party game development by Google?

Oct 28, 2017
Its cool that there is no dongle and the controller isn't required. So you can just play right away through Chrome and the controller you already have. The key unknowns (beyond performance) are of course the software lineup and the pricing structure.

I tuned out of the presentation after like 30 minutes, were there any other games mentioned besides AC and Doom? And was there any mention of first-party game development by Google?

Yes, there is a new first party studio which will develop games and work with partners, headed up by Jade Redmond.No word on games in development yet.

Dorkmgl

Oct 26, 2017

POP would be more like at what point in the internet do you go off the "Public Internet" and onto the "Google Internet/Network".

Lets say you are in California and connecting to a datacenter in New York (extreme example to make the point). Without a POP you would be on public networks the entire way subject to whatever the owners of those networks do.

Now lets take the same example but say theres a POP in California. You would only be subject to the public networks up to the POP. From the POP to New York you would be running entirely on the privately owned network (Google in this case). This means that Google has more control over the traffic than they normally would from that point to the endpoint.

EDIT: Something like Valve's relays would be a good example of this in effect. Valve wants you on their network as early as possible. All the POP is doing is forwarding the traffic the way they would like instead of the way your ISP would like.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Google Drive is highly configurable because it provides an API. You may say "but that's for developers", but anyone can get developer credentials. So anyone who is interested enough can do what they like with it. You're typically not a "regular joe" if you're messing around with mods on PC either -- you have to be into it. So there is a parallel of sorts there. But my larger comment was that Google as a company has a history of opening up their products through things like APIs and such. They have a culture of pro-customization. These kinds of features come about when a company has such a culture/background. So in these early days (where they haven't revealed details yet), what I'm saying is that they have a greater propensity / likelihood of offering such possibilities than most other companies.
So the point is that speculating about what they might offer compared to some potential offering by sony or microsoft is meaningless when what people are worried about is losing the modding capabilities we have on pc today, and there is no way they are ever going to offer something that matches what you can do with unrestricted access to executables and data that's running locally. Not to mention that even if google provides the tools it's still going to be up to license owners for each individual game.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read earlier today that it will essentially be like a regular digital store. You buy access to stream a game for a one time price.
I haven't had time to confirm this though.
The really good thing I could see coming from this is the ability to make games available on Linux and Mac that wouldn't normally be available. My colleague uses Ubuntu at home, but really want to play Hitman 2. In theory now he could.

So same thing as Onlive sounds like.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not next gen gaming, if you think it is you are crazy.
Mark my words, next gen consoles will newer die, no fear of it!

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel that it would be helpful to clarify that a little bit. The picture displayed at the conference features edge network nodes Google builds/operates, including Google Data Centers/Google Cloud Platform regions, Google PoPs (Points of Presence), and Google Global Cache. For most people, when you access Google services, your traffic generally follows this path:

Your Device -> ISP -> PoP -> Data Center (with static contents served by Google Global Cache; for games it might be pre-rendered scenes, subtitles, audio files, etc.)

If helpful, think of PoPs as gateways to Google network; they are not data centers and do not run much workload, but they help provide a better network experience by granting you an optimized pathway to Google Data Centers. You do not need to live near a Google Data Center to get the best performance; being (physically) close to a PoP would suffice.

A list of Google-related PoPs are available here: Google Fiber, Google LLC, Google LLC AS36040.

Thanks for the details. It's still a round trip to the closest DC though. In Australia's case that's Sydney. At minimum with Australia's largest ISP and one of the highest plans/connections available I'm still pushing 60+ms from Melbourne. Using Google's pipe through their POPs to save hops and what not might go a little better but that's not what I'm seeing from GCPing. I can't imagine trying to play Apex or Halo with an input latency doing this -

1. See what is cloud rendered to my screen e.g. multiplayer enemies
2. Reaction time
3. My inputs sent back to cloud
4. Cloud processing of inputs/world/clients
5. Rendered back to my local device
6. Repeat

It's quite a round trip, I doubt it will all be done within 50-150ms at best.

Looking at Melbourne POP (from your link and searching Melbourne) they have third party datacentres such as PIPE, Vocus (who I host physical and virtual servers with my company), AAPT etc running their DCs for them, just rack hosting and some pipe leasing basically. No Telstra though, no iiNet though (which are Australia's 2 largest ISPs, by a large amount actually).

It's basically as I say, it's not even announced here yet and I doubt it will have anything like the Azure network of support and processing in Melbourne especially.

At least Vocus own the fibre network between Melbourne to Sydney for example but you have hops from Telstra to just get into the Google POPs within a third party DC etc. It's quite a different beast to Google in USA where they own fibre all throughout.

Oct 26, 2017
This is really unclear to me. I know I'm not part of the demographics for this console, but I honestly have no idea who the Google Stadia is for. Not to mention, they seem to be incredibly lofty with the 4k/60fps targets considering the issues that come with latency and internet connectivity; what a person gets in Toronto, Canada is most likely not going to be the same performance that someone gets in Los Angeles, USA. And that's not bringing up the differences in hardware access if you decide to use Stadia on different hardware. I don't really buy Google's tests since that's a controlled setting and not representative of the average person's situation.

This might be overly negative to me, but I feel like the inconsistent performance of streaming games is going to turn people off of the concept than companies seem to think.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Has someone already explained what this image shows?

unknown.png