• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There's a data center in Singapore, so we SEA folks should be good.

First wave based on last night's presentation seems to only be encompassing US/Canada and EU/UK.

Considering how long it takes for google products to make its way here (still no official Chromcast 4k ugh) I don't expect to see this for a while, even if we do have a local data center and regional office here.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I think one Stadia instance is the *minimum* that can be used for a game per user. Pretty sure they said that "session" can be scaled, no?

Yeah I'm 99% sure they mentioned that with the city destruction demo.

Honestly a lot of people in here are short-sighted. We haven't even seen what can be done with this tech in mind. What if Google decides to flex nuts and allocate 10 instances/user for all their first party games?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I think one Stadia instance is the *minimum* that can be used for a game per user. Pretty sure they said that "session" can be scaled, no?

Really? Minimum doesn't make sense. Something like this requires efficiency, and an indie game wouldn't need that much power. Although I suppose a game can request multiple instances. You're right, never mind.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait until they implement content cycling.

Coming April 1st:
Super Meat Boy
Binding of Isaac

Leaving April 1st:
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Red Dead Redemption 2

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It's definitely not going to be *the same* as PC today, because obviously it's a different format. I understand where you're coming from, but for all these worriers out there: How long do you realistically expect devs to continue exposing their game internals in a world where they no longer have to? The "unsanctioned" mods you are talking about are only possible (in most cases) because devs had no better (viable) way package their product. Sure, that's how it's been since days yore, but why is it an expectation?
Because it adds a lot of value and losing that would be a huge cultural loss. It doesn't have to be like that just like we don't have to live in a world with any of the things we value, like, and enjoy. But I rather live in a better world than a worse one.

Also, why must it be in this "by-product-of-packaging" format? If devs want to enable gamers to mod these days, there are better ways to do it, like open-sourcing parts of the code itself. Why should modding remain restricted to this messy process?
Because that relies on the benevolence of devs and decision makers. The reason modding is so vibrant and accomplishes so many things from extending games, creating derivative works, preserving and patching games for modern hardware and so on is because modding doesn't depend on license owners and developers. It's nice when they appreciate the work of modders and provide them with documentation and tools but the reason what I am talking about is so important is the case where they don't do that or even worse are against modifications and that happens to be the case with the majority of games. I don't get how that is so hard to understand.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity I booted a GCP VM in Sydney and pinged it from a Melbourne location. The result is as follows:

screenshot2019-03-19a49j96.png

Of course network situation varies from location to location so the image really does not mean much :( Also, it seems that GCPing.com uses a f1-micro instance, which is the smallest (and cheapest) VM class GCP offers; it uses only 0.2 vCPU cores, my guess is that when under (relatively) heavy traffic the performance maybe be impacted.

That's a far better test result but you've got that VM doing nothing and as you say not indicative of an end user on an ISP connection pinging from Melbourne to Stadia.

I guess mine is a real world test. Out of curiosity I've disconnect from Telstra and connected to Optus mobile/cellphone hotspot which is 30Kms from Melbourne city using an active 4G LTE connection. This is 4.30PM Australian time so it's literally after school wireless and wired tested, used multiple browsers including Chrome (as below). 50ms one way on 4G LTE. Now 5G will move that closer to 10-25ms one way but it's far from stable like a wired connection.

I could also connect to iiNet ADSL 2+ for comparison if I really wanted but I already know the real world answer.

uw6ruoD.gif

The best scenario is Stadia collocate game servers doing the workload and direct response within major Australian states to reduce that latency to something acceptable. Anything less and it's not going to be useable for fighting games or FPS etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I know Google has tons of money, but I dont think they will be offering a Netflix style service at launch. Since most their library will be composed of recent AAA releases and upcoming ones like Doom Eternal it would just be too costly and harm the console game sales of the publishers who are supporting their platform.

I fully think it is a true platform with Stadia versions of games you can buy to stream. They could offer rentals or some game bundle deals, but I think Google is going to expect people to buy the games as if it were any other platform.

There'd be no point because there is no hardware. Publishers could just spin up the exact same thing on Amazon and take 100% of the cut and Google adds nothing. It can only make sense as a all-you-can stream sub because then they can get players through volume since most publishers can't make it on their own (even that statement is a stretch as everyone knows what happened with apps, tv shows, music and PC games if you don't own your own destiny, they will try).

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
this thread reads like a bunch of out of touch rich people wondering why people are excited about the Model 3 when the Model S is better.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Who is this actually for

Platform holders.

I can see streaming hurting PC gamers more than console gamers. Where developers stop actively releasing PC versions of their games and you have to use one of the streaming platforms to play on your PC. All in the name of stopping piracy. I know piracy still happens on consoles, but it's not as easy as downloading a repack and clicking "next", "next", "install".

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Platform holders. I can see streaming hurting PC gamers more than console gamers. Where developers stop actively releasing PC versions of their games and you have to use one of the streaming platforms to play on your PC. All in the name of stopping piracy. I know piracy still happens on consoles, but it's not as easy as downloading a repack and clicking "next", "next", "install".
This except it's not in the name of stopping piracy(drm was never about that), it's about controlling the media player because if you do that there's gold at the end of the rainbow. When you own the data centers, the internet infrastructure, the software stack and the client you get to tax everyone at every stage of that pipeline and the more they use your platform the more everyone becomes dependent on it. This moves all control into the hands of platform holders.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
This except it's not in the name of stopping piracy(drm was never about that), it's about controlling the media player because if you do that there's gold at the end of the rainbow. This moves all control into the hands of platform holders.

True as well, stopping piracy would be nice a bonus for them too.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is this actually for

"Wow poodiepoo played this game I wanna play and there's a play now button, and poodiepoo is saying if I click that button I'll be supporting him!? ok poodiepoo I'm clicking the play now button!"

that's the end game. Having 'influencers' play a game, with a 'play now' button in the corner, with them pushing their audience to play or try it out in the end.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be big. Like the next big thing definitely. Just like Netflix changed the way people watch movie/tv, this will change the way people play games. Even though I already have a pretty good pc + PS4 Pro I will definitely sign up for this service. Just the idea of not having to buy a next gen console but still get to play the games nearly as good as the real thing is quite exciting.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
First wave based on last night's presentation seems to only be encompassing US/Canada and EU/UK.

Considering how long it takes for google products to make its way here (still no official Chromcast 4k ugh) I don't expect to see this for a while, even if we do have a local data center and regional office here.
Well, that's one important information that's not covered in the OP yet. What a bummer.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not on this scale. None of the other services have Google's tech and data centers.

Stadia requires specific hardware. It's not going to magically work on every Google data center out there, they need to be specifically equipped for it. Therefore it's going to face the same availability issues as everyone else.

And even when there's no special server-side hardware needed, Google is still fucking terrible at deployment overall. So many Google services and products launch as US only, and then maybe eventually trickle down elsewhere. Stadia is only going to be worse at this.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is how YouTube premium works as well since they can't go off ads and quality definitely takes a hit when you incentivize filler.

It's rough, because it's not like we want all games to be 5 minutes long because they're rewarded by the download either, or big dips in quality at whatever minimum monetization time. I think best we can hope for is a scaling dollar per hour played rate where the intensity of that scale is determined by a ton of research to find that balance.

I mean, I'm probably less likely to keep paying for one game I play 100 hours and kinda like, verses 10 games I really like at 10 hours each.
I get you, and I am not trying to doom n gloom on this model before we even know what it is, how it works, and have seen its effects. I mean, I guess I was doing exactly that, but mea culpa and we'll see.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the negativity here this will be a huge success.

How do you judge success?

Making money? Sure, Google are good at that
Pushing more people to youtube? Yep
Further plunging the world into a right wing fantasy state of hate and violence? Yeah probably
Consolidating the games industry into one or two generic online experiences designed to keep you playing and paying endlessly? Seems likely

Producing new and exciting single player games that you can buy, enjoy and then move onto something else? Success does not seem assured.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
It has already been confirmed multiple times that this is not the case. There has been in-depth discussion about the lag on the DF thread. AC on Xbox One X is notoriously laggy, and only runs at 30fps. However, the lag on the Stadia version should reduce compared to the X when the 60fps version is released.

If that really is the case, I think this is a pretty misleading comparison.
Those are insane numbers for something run locally, and comparing against something so already unusually laggy means you get no real idea of what the typical streaming latency overhead actually would be when the local engine latency matches more closely.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Has everyone been living under a rock? game streaming services have been around for years. Honestly they needed a first party game that blew me the fuck away to sell me on this service. The you can jump from this device to this device really has no practical use. Honestly when's the last time you jumped off a game and just couldn't wait that you would boot it up on your phone?

500$ 10TF machine would have made me interested.
They need to sell you anything, that's the point. The barriers to entry have been eliminated.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the negativity here this will be a huge success.

Sadly, I'll have to agree with you. I think it will be big too. Look at Netflix and Spotify. I know video games are a different medium, but those services are huge. They appeal to the I have to have everything at my fingertips crowd. It's too good to pass up. I think the only thing that could keep it from being big is the cost of the subscription. Most people have gotten used to paying 5-15 dollars for a sub, if it's higher than those numbers I think most people won't bother.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why they need another subscription?
What gaming subscription(s) do people already tied to nowadays?

Ah okay I see what you're saying. I think there are plenty of people out there who are interested in playing AAA games but not enough to commit to buying a console. This will make AAA gaming infinitely more accessible to casual audiences.
Yup.

Here's the thing. It's not that the mainstream audience don't want to play AAA games, it's all about the barrier to entry. If they want to play the newest Assassin's Creed game, they need to invest $300 for a console, and additional $60 for the game. With Stadia, they don't need to buy another hardware. They only need a monthly subscription to play the game on their phone/tablet/TV that the mainstream already have at their possession. It's all about ease of use and price point.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Who is this actually for

Not for the average Resetera user (like me) who already owns a console and/or gaming PC.
Google isn't trying to get PS4/NSW/X1/PC gamers to switch, they are targeting those who don't play AAA games yet.

Stadia might be interesting for some of my friends, though. Mid 30s, married, kids, jobs, house, other hobbies than gaming etc.
They do love to play some FIFA or COD every now and then but don't want to commit time and money for a gaming system they use every now and then. If they were able to buy a gamepad plus like 50€ for a 3 months subscription and would get to play FIFA on their Android TV, they would consider it at least.

Heck, I moved into a new house in January and with all the time and money that eats up, I'm honestly not sure if I'm willing/able to spend like 700€ (assuming 500€ console, 60€ 2nd controller and two games to get me started) when the PS5 drops.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Crazy that this is releasing in 2019. Not sure what to expect from it commercially, could see it being a monstrous success or a total failure. It's almost impossible to predict. I think if they price it right it could be very well though.

Not really my cup of tea though. I hate subscriptions, don't really like playing online and generally prefer physical media.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This is the best thing to happen to gaming since the NES. It's going to expand the audience so much, and cloud computing is going to enable all sorts of new radical experiences we can't imagine. The negativity is hilarious.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Like a lot of people is saying this is (on a basic premise level) giving you all the bells and whistle of 4K HDR max setting gaming, without the sunk cost of buying a brand new console or gaming PC, and can (with caveats) be played on any screen. That premise is appealing not just to casual gamers but also to hardcore players that don't necessarily want to shell out for that.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This has the potential to be a major game changer. After sleeping on it, I feel very frustrated. I was in the beta, but couldn't get Oydessy to work properly due to the constant stuttering lag. I live in a rural area, and my frustration is that this is becoming a huge disparity between those gamers who will have access, and those who won't. I want the option to decide if this is a service I want, or not. But, unfortunately that won't happen. I know that there are others who share in my frustration. It just really blows.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best thing to happen to gaming since the NES. It's going to expand the audience so much, and cloud computing is going to enable all sorts of new radical experiences we can't imagine. The negativity is hilarious.

So basically "Imagine something like crackdown but with cloud processing?"

Yeah the negativity is the amusing thing here.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Google added Stadia support for joycons and pro controllers, I wonder if this means Stadia support will be available for the Switch YouTube app...

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If they make this work for relatively (!) Slow internet, PC download platforms will have a problem. I don't even remember the last time I actually bought a CD on store, or a disc based movie.

That's a big if though.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
How do you judge success?

Making money? Sure, Google are good at that
Pushing more people to youtube? Yep
Further plunging the world into a right wing fantasy state of hate and violence? Yeah probably
Consolidating the games industry into one or two generic online experiences designed to keep you playing and paying endlessly? Seems likely

Producing new and exciting single player games that you can buy, enjoy and then move onto something else? Success does not seem assured.
Yikes.
All those negativity can't be healthy.

I was just making an offhand comment about Era's poor track record regarding new product launches.

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Google added Stadia support for joycons and pro controllers, I wonder if this means Stadia support will be available for the Switch YouTube app...

Think this will be a huge point of contention for platform owners on whether they want to enable such a service on their boxes. Honestly I see it working out really well for the Switch as a complementary offering.

Also not to mention, PS and Xbox are more than likely to do something similar with PSNow and Xcloud next generation.