• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I just completed God of War and its a game that starts out promising but I feel hugely disappointed.

Pushing visuals came at a huge price when it comes to level design

The game's levels are tiny, bitty and severely limited in scope and design.The game feels like it has to mask loading almost all the fucking time.

1) Constant, lenghty slow door opening animations. every two feet.

2)Intentionally slow, lenghty climbing animations/obstacles that are a slog to get through after the first time.

3) Levels are very small and empty most of the time despite looking impressive.

4) Many of the "rooms" levels are repetitive empty narrow hallways that seem to serve nothing but mask loading the next area.

5)It felt like there were too many forced slow walk sections.

Strong lack of enemy variety, lack of (mechanically) good boss fights,

1) Fighting the apes and trolls got extremely repetitive and boring the more the game progressed. They are essentially just regular enemies ,not bosses.

2) Game is overlong and padded with boring arenas of fighting the same enemies over and over.

3) Tedious encounter design on higher difficulties. Lack of manual healing made it tedious because whenever you get hit its probably a better idea to reload the checkpoint than wait for a random heal drop.

Story was a gamble some aspects were good, others weren't
1)Baldur is shallow and disappointing as a character. Not a good final boss.(despite having a great final scene)
Could've made for a decent side villain but the fact that he is THE main antagonist is disappointing.

2) Brok and Sindri take too much screen time and play too big a role.The world feels somewhat empty when its nothing but those two everywhere. Ultimately Mimir is also comic relief too. The cast in general just isn't good enough as a whole.

3) Cutscene direction is stellar. Kratos/Son interactions (and their relation to Faye)are stellar but not balanced by enough antagonistic forces that actually matter.

4) The sequel baiting and teasing felt shameless. This game actually needed Thor to feel complete.

Overall this is a good(not great game) that feels unbalanced and incomplete. It pushes amazing visuals and production values but those came at high costs. I find it very hard to want to get back to it after having completed it once

8/10.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What? Incomplete? It's the most complete game I've played in a really long time.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I agree on lack of boss variety, but I disagree about level design and combat getting repetitive. I really liked how every level and side passage could loop in on itself, with secret shortcuts and treasure at every corner.

I respect your opinion, though, and understand that it may not scratch the same itch for everyone.

I'm not sure I'm going to read the rest of this thread, however, because of my absolute certainty that it is going to become a dumping ground for "this game is overrated" posts.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I will actually agree with you fully here. I wasn't blown away by this game as everyone else seemed to be.

Yeah, the production values are impressive and executed well, but gameplay it felt flat to me. The Level Design, while aesthetically impressive, was not constructed that great to me and lacked any meaningful complexity to it. Obviously they sacrificed a lot in order to create these battle-friendly locales.

And yeah, lack of bosses and antagonists was a big letdown for me.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably the most "complete" game I've played in quite some time, even to its own detriment at times.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with some of what you wrote, regarding the lack of variety of the enemies, Baldur not being and interesting character and a boring boss fights.

Can't agree with the rest of it tho.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I thought Baldur was the best 'antagonist' the series has had. He just wasn't your typical cookie cutter enemy, and I absolutely loved that.

I also disagree with your entire post.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Yeah, nope. Didn't really notice the loading transitions and when you pick "loading times" as your opening point you're clutching at straws.

Oct 26, 2017
The level design is really bad. They clearly removed the jump button because the game is stuffed full of invisible walls everywhere. And the looping level design in parts feels ridiculous because it only works because there's no jump button but Kratos is shown to have MCU superhero jumping abilities.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I can disagree more even if I tried. GOW has some of the best level designs I have come across in gaming. Same for combat. ANd yes Trolls/ogre are not bosses....obviously.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I disagree in every single aspect! Every single little aspect!

But it is well written and fair opinion!

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Hampered and Incomplete
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I disagree with absolutely everything OP. The level design was great.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Completely agreed.

The first 10 hours or so, I was so thrilled, engaged, and happy. Then, the repetition set in. Combat had minimal variety, same enemies over and over, only a few bosses, awful final battle, and the areas could have used more variety (structurally, not necessarily aesthetically).

Anyway, hopefully the successor is better and not so disappointing.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
One thing OP didn't bring up but I found extremely disappointing was the Soundtrack. Everyone was singing its praises and I honestly cannot remember any tunes from the game at all, and didn't even notice the music while playing.

Yet for some reason I hear it's the leading favorite to win OST of the year. God knows why, lol.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This is the most complete AAA game that isn't on a Nintendo system that I've played in 5+ years

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Don't agree at all.

The world felt vast and is literally seamless (no cuts with the camera). One of the only games in recent memory that I could name all the worlds and characters (and discuss them in detail with my friends).

I completed every side quest and wish there were more of Brok and Sindri. I cared about them and their story.

My only gripe is the lack of true bosses ala GoW3, but that didn't keep me from absolutely loving the feeling of adventure.

10/10

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing OP didn't bring up but I found extremely disappointing was the Soundtrack. Everyone was singing its praises and I honestly cannot remember any tunes from the game at all, and didn't even notice the music while playing.

Yet for some reason I hear it's the leading favorite to win OST of the year. God knows why, lol.

Probably because many others, like me, loved the OST and think it's one of the best. It's runner up OST for me personally right behind Detroit

OP
OP

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Yeah, nope. Didn't really notice the loading transitions and when you pick "loading times" as your opening point you're clutching at straws.

The game's entire level design is based around masking loading.

Its so glaringly obvious when I went back to explore levels outside of the story.

The game wanted to push visuals but the scope of the levels CLEARLY paid for it.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Only thing I agree is the lack of enemy variety. It was just the same 4 types of enemies with different elements (fire, ice, etc)

The old God of Wars had so many varied enemies it puts this game to shame.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I agree with some of your complaints (boss fights, enemy variety), but "hampered and incomplete"? What?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't wait until hot take gets replaced by whatever dumb fun sounding sentence enhancers Era takes a liking to next.

God of War is the shit, though.

"3) Tedious encounter design on higher difficulties. Lack of manual healing made it tedious because whenever you get hit its probably a better idea to reload the checkpoint than wait for a random heal drop."

Reading shit like this makes me wonder how you approached the game. I never once felt like that, and I played on the hardest difficulty.

Last edited:

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda agree about the loading screen being everywhere, I don't think being one shot added anything to the experience and was probably horrible for the developers to work around it.

I know they portraid Odin and other Norse gods as awful gods that were cruel to humans, but now that you mention it the world is pretty much completely empty when you think about it.

I'm a gameplay first kind of guy so the game is still a solid 10 for me but it's a really flawed game as a whole.

Last edited:

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
The Lake of Nine is one of the greatest achievement in level design I've ever seen in a video game.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree that revisiting previous areas to clean up can feel like a bit of a slog once you have most of the map opened up. But by that point you have fast travel which helps a little. Still, it wasn't really fun climbing over/ducking under stuff only to realize oh wait, I don't need to be here. But.. this happened like three times total in my post game exploration
While actually progressing through the game I was really impressed with how it was paced and how it encourages exploration while still guiding the player. Going for 100% of items or whatever would burn me out on most games, so I don't really hold it as a flaw in GOW. I stopped short of killing all the valkyries but really enjoyed that first playthrough.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
As a guy who didn't enjoy the game I really don't get your "cramped level design" complaint. Action games should have smallish rooms where you can get to enemy to enemy fast.

Devil May Cry 2 had large environments and they were detrimental to the experience.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I can see where you're coming from but I really disagree with this part:

1) Constant, lenghty slow door opening animations. every two feet. - The only time I noticed door opening animations is when you're going in and out of the warp room.

2)Intentionally slow, lenghty climbing animations/obstacles that are a slog to get through after the first time. - I do hate the climbing and it definitely started to get tedious to me. Especially on the harder difficulties when your checkpoint is before a climb

3) Levels are very small and empty most of the time despite looking impressive. - Do you mean small and empty like no NPC's? Cause every area either has a puzzle or combat there isn't a lot of fluff between that.

4) Many of the "rooms" levels are repetitive empty narrow hallways that seem to serve nothing but mask loading the next area. - Again I don't remember ever feeling that way. I think the puzzles are excellent and the level design outside of the climbing is well thought out. You are either learning more about the lore from an area - Like Odin's Book Chamber, Doing a Puzzle or Fighting. That obviously doesn't count the boat

1)Baldur is shallow and disappointing as a character. Not a good final boss.(despite having a great final scene)
Could've made for a decent side villain but the fact that he is THE main antagonist is disappointing. - I think you are right that Baldur is never meant to be a main villain as its clear the whole time the game is building to Thor and Odin and I was a bit disappointed when you don't see Thor till the very very end. That said though I think Baldur is perfect for being a reflection of Kratos (Same Rage) and does a great job being the obstacle that brings him and his son together. I also really loved finding out that Faye is his mother and their dynamic was really interesting.

2) Brok and Sindri take too much screen time and play too big a role.The world feels somewhat empty when its nothing but those two everywhere. Ultimately Mimir is also comic relief too. The cast in general just isn't good enough as a whole. - Now I strongly disagree with this. Best cast of characters since TLOU. I think everyone fills their role perfectly.

All in all though I understand where you are coming from.

Oct 26, 2017
Completely agreed.

The first 10 hours or so, I was so thrilled, engaged, and happy. Then, the repetition set in. Combat had minimal variety, same enemies over and over, only a few bosses, awful final battle, and the areas could have used more variety (structurally, not necessarily aesthetically).

Anyway, hopefully the successor is better and not so disappointing.
I agree the ending in general left me kind of "meh." I was waiting to be blown away, but the game just...ends. The reveals were obvious just a few hours into the game, so I hope they weren't supposed to be the end game bombs to make it great or anything.

Solid arguments here, folks.
I wasn't arguing :)

Oct 26, 2017
This level design is terrible. The environment might as well be pre-rendered. The entire level design is based around Kratos not being able to jump when he's as powerful as a superhero. And enemies barely interact with the environment either and the few environmental kills there are make little sense (for example, knocking a flying elf enemy off the ground somehow kills them even though... they can fly)

And all the puzzles are just "wander around until you find the angle to hit the thing with your axe."

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
As someone who played the new God of War back to back with God of War 3 remastered for the first time, your complaints could easily fit God of War 3.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Agree on the bosses. Aside from the dragon, we really didn't get much aside from a few Balder fights.

Here's hoping the next game brings back a lot of the scale of bosses we've seen in the past with multiple bosses to encounter.