• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
One thing I'm desperate for is a quick-skip to the start of the Data Debate Log thing. I like to go through it at the end of the game but it takes so long to scroll back :p

Drillow

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know if they've updated the game in Japan (both physical and digital)? There is no information on https://www.nintendo.co.jp/lang/.
If not, I guess there are 2 SKUs on the eShop. One in Japan and one overseas...
I'm so used to Nintendo games being available in all languages wherever you buy them...

Sadly, It seems to be two different SKU (with different internal IDs).
AXATA for Japan and AXATB for Europe (and maybe US?).

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
This is pretty good so far! I've never been a fan of visual novels but this one definitely has more gameplay than any other I've ever tried to get into. I got it because I wanted a single player Mafia experience and it definitely delivers on that front so far.

My main issue about 12 loops into it might be that the dialogue during the actual rounds is super generic and repetitive, but the actual dynamics of sussing people out or tricking them when you're the Gnosia are really fun. I just unlocked the option to set up the roles and amount of people in each round so it's definitely opening up, and I'm even liking the overall style of the game despite thinking it was going to be the main thing to put me off before trying it out.

I just wonder if the only worthwhile interactions are the ones marked with red on the map. Every time I've gone to one of the spots marked in yellow between rounds I just get the most inconsequential dialogue.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, you guys have convinced me. Bought this (and Raging Loop, as I'd never heard of it before and it was on sale), so that's my weekend sorted. A nice, big text heavy game will be the perfect break from what I'm playing at the moment which is...*checks notes*...Persona 5 Royal.

Oh. Oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
More games (VN particularly) should be able to be playable on one joycon, good feature

however why do both controller need to be connected for that?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't say I'm enjoying this game. Like... at all (about 25-something loops in).

As someone who has played Avalon/Resistance for years in multiple groups, it's just no fun playing against a repetitive AI. You can't explain any type of logic deduction, you just... select the game options over and over and read the same comments over and over (and OVER and OVER)

Having to play multiple loops randomly trying to trigger events feels completely pointless.

I'd rather just be reading a visual novel with these characters. The core gameplay is just terrible.

I've never bounced off a game this strongly, which is so weird because every element of it sounds amazing to me. I'm legitimately confused how this could have gotten good reviews.

Is there seriously barely any new game mechanics after the first few hours beyond a few small skills and stat increases?

The ONLY thing you do is play the same game on repeat hoping to trigger random events for 20+ hours? What's even the point of winning an individual game?

I spent the last 30 minutes of my session just hammering through the dialogue I had already seen multiple times, just choosing random things, hoping to trigger events. Seems just as effective at moving the slow plot along as doing anything else.

I just don't get the point

You get new skills which gives you more options to mix up the discussion phases, there's 30 of them in total it seems so there's a lot of room for the mechanics to grow. Logic deduction is possible because the repeating comments aren't just random stuff they say. Each character has different personality types and stuff that they frequently do so you can deduce stuff based on that. Like the tutorial example of Comet being more observant than other people. Or gnosia will tend to defend their teammates so you can look through the log once you know the identity of one of them.

As for winning individual games, some events that you need for the ending only occur under specific circumstances and I imagine winning with certain characters is one of them. I think the Q&A in the "How to Play" mentions that.

Makoto

Oct 27, 2017
Started yesterday and have 71 loops so far. It is incredibly addictive.

In general the story events are happening in a quite satisfying rhythm, although I'm worried that nearing the end they'll be really few and far between

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Started yesterday and have 71 loops so far. It is incredibly addictive.

In general the story events are happening in a quite satisfying rhythm, although I'm worried that nearing the end they'll be really few and far between
While I have that concern myself, I am pretty much where you're at now - the story scenes have been well paced out for my experience, and I've been finding the core gameplay wildly addictive. I think I'm in the 70s, as well.

Jul 1, 2020
Played about 20 or so loops last night and I'm really enjoying it, my only complaint is how often dialogue gets repeated in the same loop which kinda takes me out of the experience. Other than that it's a lot of fun, but pretty hard.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah, I can't say I'm enjoying this game. Like... at all (about 25-something loops in).

As someone who has played Avalon/Resistance for years in multiple groups, it's just no fun playing against a repetitive AI. You can't explain any type of logic deduction, you just... select the game options over and over and read the same comments over and over (and OVER and OVER)

Having to play multiple loops randomly trying to trigger events feels completely pointless.

I'd rather just be reading a visual novel with these characters. The core gameplay is just terrible.

I've never bounced off a game this strongly, which is so weird because every element of it sounds amazing to me. I'm legitimately confused how this could have gotten good reviews.

Is there seriously barely any new game mechanics after the first few hours beyond a few small skills and stat increases?

The ONLY thing you do is play the same game on repeat hoping to trigger random events for 20+ hours? What's even the point of winning an individual game?

I spent the last 30 minutes of my session just hammering through the dialogue I had already seen multiple times, just choosing random things, hoping to trigger events. Seems just as effective at moving the slow plot along as doing anything else.

I just don't get the point

As someone who's a big fan of social deduction games like Deception, Resistance, etc I understand the frustration of not being able to explain to the ai your 1,200 iq logic, but that's not the kind of game this is. The rpg levels and skills replace that element of a social deduction game, and knowing when to be quiet/cover/doubt/etc in Gnosia is the skill to learn.

Think about how in real social deduction games sometimes you've just lost the crowd and nobody trusts you despite your logic being 100% fool proof. I think this game does a great job of emulating that if you try to be too aggressive or passive during meetings.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I played it for an hour or so. It's very interesting and refreshing, especially since I'm not at all familiar with games like Mafia.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
As someone who's a big fan of social deduction games like Deception, Resistance, etc I understand the frustration of not being able to explain to the ai your 1,200 iq logic, but that's not the kind of game this is. The rpg levels and skills replace that element of a social deduction game, and knowing when to be quiet/cover/doubt/etc in Gnosia is the skill to learn.

Think about how in real social deduction games sometimes you've just lost the crowd and nobody trusts you despite your logic being 100% fool proof. I think this game does a great job of emulating that if you try to be too aggressive or passive during meetings.

It's not even that (although, yeah, I find it pretty annoying when three people claim to be Engineer, no AC or Bug is in play and the AI still votes for people outside that group...)

It's just that the overall werewolf game is... lackluster, and doesn't really evolve beyond that outside of some new skills. You're still doing the exact same thing over and over. And even if you try to play with your main focus being on finding events to see the ending, it still feels so random and aimless.

I guess I expected a bit more of the visual novel element and not "you literally play the same game of werewolf with incredibly minor variations 150+ times ".

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I mean this is exactly what has happened to Raqio several times in my experience.

So, maybe I'm missing something, but how can you even tell? Considering the AI only even says basic "suspect/defend" generic statements, it never has felt to me like someone is making any sort of logic deduction. To me, each round just feels like people going, "I trust X for no reason, I suspect X for no reason" etc. There's never a point where someone gets to explain their reasoning.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I played for almost 6 hours straight last night, the game is incredibly addicting and all the variations help it feel fresh through each run. Made it to the start of loop 50 before stopping. Only slight complaints are the times where round 1 discussions don't really throw suspicion anywhere and then the NPCs all come together to vote for a random person with no logic behind it (it's always wrong). It's also really funny when you get a day 1 round 1 gang up on you.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I played for almost 6 hours straight last night, the game is incredibly addicting and all the variations help it feel fresh through each run. Made it to the start of loop 50 before stopping. Only slight complaints are the times where round 1 discussions don't really throw suspicion anywhere and then the NPCs all come together to vote for a random person with no logic behind it (it's always wrong). It's also really funny when you get a day 1 round 1 gang up on you.

The day 1 round 1 blind vote is basically what happens in a lot of werewolf/mafia games.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
So, maybe I'm missing something, but how can you even tell? Considering the AI only even says basic "suspect/defend" generic statements, it never has felt to me like someone is making any sort of logic deduction. To me, each round just feels like people going, "I trust X for no reason, I suspect X for no reason" etc. There's never a point where someone gets to explain their reasoning.
It's their stats on the Crew Data screen. In this example, Raqio has a really high logic stat, but lacks the charisma to convince others that they're right.

Oct 27, 2017
this game is a disaster while high. i couldn't deduce anything. i somehow ended up making out (or more???) with a guardian angel?? 🤷🏻‍♂️ i dunno

i really enjoy it but it is a bit repetitive.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I've just noticed how, in retrospect, the people Raqio accuse tend to be Gnosia, but they is never able to convince anyone that they is right and instead gets seen as accusing people blindly. Its a pattern I've seen occur multiple times across my 11 loops (Edit: I used they because I can't remember which pronouns Raqio uses now that I think about it).

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
It's their stats on the Crew Data screen. In this example, Raqio has a really high logic stat, but lacks the charisma to convince others that they're right.
I've just noticed how, in retrospect, the people Raqio accuse tend to be Gnosia, but they is never able to convince anyone that they is right and instead gets seen as accusing people blindly. Its a pattern I've seen occur multiple times across my 11 loops (Edit: I used they because I can't remember which pronouns Raqio uses now that I think about it).

Yeah, no, I get the game tells you "Raqio is a character with high logic", but what I mean is that there's nothing in gameplay that shows this beyond him potentially being more likely to accuse people correctly. But that doesn't mean anything if he's still right in situations where there hasn't been enough that has happened that game for him to logically deduce why he's correct.

I dunno, I guess there's not really any point in me posting. I really wanted to like the game, and I honestly want to try to understand how people are loving it so much, but for me, it's one of the worst games I've played recently. It's just weird to me how I can absolutely detest the game so much when people with similar interests in the same genre love it.

Possibly just because I've played SO many social deduction games over the years (Heck, I proposed to my wife with Avalon: The Resistance) that playing a game that is a relatively rough simulation of it using AI feels hollow?

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Going through it up to about loop 20 I believe. I was concerned whether there is a main story to it all and I'm seeing what seem to be teases of it, so I'm hopeful.
Gameplay however.. it doesn't seem like mostly anything I do has any effect on it ha. Feels I'm mostly just going with the flow, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and since the lines are mostly generic, doesn't seem there's much you can get from them. I do like how the game is slowly opening up more though and more is revealed...seemingly? Even if I can't make much sense if it so far ha.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah, no, I get the game tells you "Raqio is a character with high logic", but what I mean is that there's nothing in gameplay that shows this beyond him potentially being more likely to accuse people correctly. But that doesn't mean anything if he's still right in situations where there hasn't been enough that has happened that game for him to logically deduce why he's correct.

I dunno, I guess there's not really any point in me posting. I really wanted to like the game, and I honestly want to try to understand how people are loving it so much, but for me, it's one of the worst games I've played recently. It's just weird to me how I can absolutely detest the game so much when people with similar interests in the same genre love it.

I got a scene with Raqio
where by correctly answering their riddle I got access to a skill that lets you push the advantage if someone is human or gnosia.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
About 9/10 hours in, in my 80th loop.
Trying to complete Yuriko's crew data reveals to be quite difficult. She's hard to befriend since she tends to easily be our detractor, and she tends to be hated by other crewmates so she can easily be voted out.

Hope that this game will do good enough so that many people can play it and start writting guides to how to complete the crew data ! It must be really hard to complete it all on our own without close to no clues.

Anyway, the game is awesome and so damn addicting.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I got a scene with Raqio
where by correctly answering their riddle I got access to a skill that lets you push the advantage if someone is human or gnosia.
Yeah, there's multiple scenes like that with Raquio, they can get you multiple skills this way. Near the start of the game, whenever there's an event concerning Raqio, be sure to do it !

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Whenever I'm Gnosia I almost always try to remove her from the board
Yep same lol

On the other hand, when you're gnosia, and the other two with you are Gina (too kind to do anything mean) and Remnam (the big victim, constantly gets called suspect for no reason because he's too shy to talk lmao), you think "so it's gonna be 1 gnosia versus 12 crewmates uh" lol

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I swear Raqio has been put to cold sleep in like 80% of the games I played lol.
I've definitely noticed the crew tends to have a bias against Raqio and Shigemichi and they're often put in cold sleep early.

On a different note, I find the Guard Duty role to be... odd. It seems like in every loop I've done so far they're mostly just there to be sacrificial lambs for the Gnosia because it's too dangerous for the Gnosia to keep people around who can't have suspicion cast on them. I also had a loop where I was Guard Duty with Sha-Ming but Setsu killed him before the loop even started. Everyone dogpiled me in round one so I revealed my role and was voted out anyway despite it being a role you can't fake, I guess because Sha-Ming wasn't there to verify it.

Last edited:

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Played a few hours in last night. I think I'm on loop 14 or 15. The game is beginning to open up some. I'm a little miffed that actual character interaction seems to be nonexistent. The investigative part seems to either end immediately cause no one likes me, but even the folks like Setsu who like you give you a line then it ends.

I thought there would be so much much more to the investigative aspect.

this game seems to be entirely about the vote sections so far, which I'm not mad at, but I definitely had the wrong idea.

so far I think my favorite thing is that title theme.

that thing bangs. So hard.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I've definitely noticed the crew tends to have a bias against Raqio and Shigemichi and they're often put in cold sleep early.

On a different note, I find the Guard Duty role to be... odd. It seems like in every loop I've done so far they're mostly just there to be sacrificial lambs for the Gnosia because it's too dangerous for the Gnosia to keep people around who can't have suspicion cast on them. I also had a loop where I was Guard Duty with Sha-Ming but Setsu killed him before the loop even started. Everyone dogpiled me in round one so I revealed my role and was voted out anyway despite it being a role you can't fake, I guess because Sha-Ming wasn't there to verify it.
Weirdly enough, neither Shigemichi nor Sha-Ming have been Gnosia yet in any of my runs. I don't think Shigemichi has ever been an AC Follower, either.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

On a different note, I find the Guard Duty role to be... odd. It seems like in every loop I've done so far they're mostly just there to be sacrificial lambs for the Gnosia because it's too dangerous for the Gnosia to keep people around who can't have suspicion cast on them.

Can we try and spoiler events? That one sounds interesting and now I'm wondering why it occurred.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

Playing guard duty can be really powerful, because people can't doubt you. So you can talk, doubt, as much as you want. You are really powerful. But you need to understand asap who the suspectful persons are, and hope that gnosia want to kill someone else first, and that the guardian angel will protect you at night lmao.
But it is a very powerful role when you play it if you do it well !

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough, neither Shigemichi nor Sha-Ming have been Gnosia yet in any of my runs. I don't think Shigemichi has ever been an AC Follower, either.
I've had Shigemichi as an AC Follower and he's maybe the most evil person (or best if you are the Gnosia) for him to be it because his personality is already kinda there.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

That's generally what that kinda role does in bigger group games of werewolf/mafia. Since they have solid "we're innocent" evidence, crew can early on trust and not vote them, while gnosia/werewolves can try and get a clear from them since "hey the person who we know is clear says I'm clear too". You can also intentionally kill them or leave them alive to fit whatever narrative you're trying to spin. Guard Duty go hard on someone you know is innocent (since you're gnosia/sympathizer)? Kill them at night to throw further sus on that innocent person. Inversely if they throw sus on you or your team mate, leaving them alive a round might make them think you're clear/cause the guardian angel to waste their defense.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The music in the game isn't in a real language right? It sounds similar in a way that Nier is with its Chaos language but I can't place an actual language to it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The music in the game isn't in a real language right? It sounds similar in a way that Nier is with its Chaos language but I can't place an actual language to it.

It'd the language of the Gnosia

I dunno if that's actually true or not so on the off chance my joke is correct please don't get mad at me lol

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So i detected that shigemichi here is lying, but after that, there's this icon of gnosia on stella whenever shigemichi is talking... What does it means, that's he's lying about stella being gnosia or that his lying prove stella is gnosia?

Evu1y7NVgAEAuQb.png

the game didn't tell anything about it (still in the tutorial)... I guess it means the former since he ended up being gnosia himself (couldn't confince the others so i died, lol)

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Unlocked an event with Kukrushka (the 4th line in her Notes page), highly recommend not clicking the spoiler if you haven't seen it.

she went crazy and murdered everyone, even though she was not Gnosia.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So i detected that shigemichi here is lying, but after that, there's this icon of gnosia on stella whenever shigemichi is talking... What does it means, that's he's lying about stella being gnosia or that is lying prove stella is gnosia?

the game didn't tell anything about it (still in the tutorial)... I guess it means the former since he ended up being gnosia himself (couldn't confince the others so i died, lol)

That means Stella accused them of being Gnosia based on their engineers report I think.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So i detected that shigemichi here is lying, but after that, there's this icon of gnosia on stella whenever shigemichi is talking... What does it means, that's he's lying about stella being gnosia or that is lying prove stella is gnosia?

Evu1y7NVgAEAuQb.png

It means Stella has accused Shigmichi of being a Gnosia.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I got the wildest ending

Gina tells me to not trust Comet and gives me the Don't Be Fooled skill (to turn suspicion on someone accusing you) and it reveals that Gina is more intuitive than she believes, we cold sleep Comet, I get an event where Jonas talks about being on a space ship pre-warp where he obfuscates what he actually did on it (unlocking the Obfuscate skill to deflect doubts) and then...

I got an event in the middle of the night where Comet's slime mold somehow awoke and took over the ship, ate Remnan from the waist down with an accompanying CG, caused Shigemechi's head to explode FotNS style with a bulging head sprite, Stella decided to put me and Sha-Ming in cold sleep and then vent the whole ship, Sha-Ming said to not bother waking him up and admitted to being Gnosia, then we both woke up to the whole ship turned into a sauna by Jonas (complete with a CG of him in a towel) who explained he took Comet out of the cold sleep pod but kept obfuscating to avoid saying why he did it, only that the heat killed the slime mold.

What the hell.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Since it appeared in the direct I've wondered how the hell a game like this could work with AI and randomized roles. I'm really excited to see how this plays.

Side note, glad to see several MafiEra players here. If yall want more Gnosia, mafia/werewolf games are always really fun.