• Poll closed .

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
ku-xlarge.gif

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Guys! Has there been any content showing Jin wearing a traditional ninja hood? I want to treat this as an open world Tenchu

Oct 27, 2017
89. I think the game will be better than Horizon but the bar has been raised for open world games in the past 3 years so I don't see it scoring much higher.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
If the Witcher 3, RDR2 and GTA5 can get away than less than perfect combat, then GOT should do to, if the other elements are AAA standard.
If it has amazing story and characters, sure --- and those games developer has a precedent of their games having a great story. Sucker Punch last game with a great story was the first Infamous.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Sequel, sequel, sequel, new IP.
If you're showing up with a new IP by a first party studio I expect quality.

So if you're a repeated entry in a series from a reputable AAA developer and you have less than perfect combat despite having a multitude of experience and opportunity to learn from specifically in developing that exact combat in that exact series, your expectations are more forgivable than an entirely new game in an entirely new series from a AAA developer that is neither less nor more proficient than the aforementioned?

What kind of logic is this? You should expect more from developers who are making repeated franchise games and have, in some cases, 10+ years to refine their combat system.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Yey, the review thread is back open! My guess is still in the region of 88-90 but I voted for 90-94 in the poll just to be extra optimistic. I can totally see its meta score sitting at 86-88 though. Well... only 5 hours to wait and see what the reviews think.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
So if you're a repeated entry in a series from a reputable AAA developer and you have less than perfect combat despite having a multitude of experience and opportunity to learn from specifically in developing that exact combat in that exact series, your expectations are more forgivable than an entirely new game in an entirely new series from a AAA developer that is neither less nor more proficient than the aforementioned?

What kind of logic is this? You should expect more from developers who are making repeated franchise games and have, in some cases, 10+ years to refine their combat system.
Look man, I agree with you, but some people think a little white dot auto locking onto enemies in GTA5 is amazing, decades later.

I expect more from rockstar, they don't deliver. I expect more from sucker punch. I hope they deliver!

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
horizon's story was also really good imo
probably some pacing and dialogue taking player out of the experience dropped the rating a bit.
because all parts taken individually (lore, technical, story, score, replay value, collectibles management, combat, gamefeel), it's a fucking blast. Probably we got a bit tired of the open world mechanics which are pretty generic in HZD as well.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
horizon's story was also really good imo

I feel that character development is were they always drop the ball. Felt iffy with Horizon, Days Gone and Spider-Man, they get that right and they crack the 90+ Meta. Only Naught Dog and Santa Monica have great character development. Need to see Jin's to see if it's 90+ worthy.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
I feel like you should expect more quality from a sequel - it's their second try at bare minimum.
I feel like you should too, but unfortunately mainstream consumers don't feel as strongly.
My theory is that new games should come to the market with something to contribute that hasn't been contributed in that way. With this game, it's feudal Japan. I hope there's more, but if not that's enough for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, it's sad though. Sekiro, Control, and Death Stranding are all examples of studios making new IPs that brought something new to the table. Loved all those games.

I was happy to see some new IP in Sony's PS5 presentation, like Returnal and Capcom's Pragmata, as well as already announced new IP like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo. I think we're gonna see new IP from Naughty Dog and SSM as well next gen and I'm all up for it. Elden Ring remains my most anticipated new IP for now.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
I chose 85-89 in the poll, but I won't be surprised if it broke 90. It strikes me as the type of game critics would really appreciate.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, it's sad though. Sekiro, Control, and Death Stranding are all examples of studios making new IPs that brought something new to the table. Loved all those games.
What was new about Sekiro or Control? They were great games but they were iterating or tweaking designs of the devs' previous games (Souls/Bloodborne, MP/Quantum Break)

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
One of the reviews literally called it "Assassin's Creed for the poor."

Another said that all of the open-world missions are familiar open-world tropes (e.g. climbing towers).

Horizon has like... 5 of these towers? And each one of them is really different compared with the Far Cry or Assassins Creed stuff. I don't see any problem with Horizon open world mechanics despite few poor sidequests (usually the ones that has poor facial animation).

Anyway, I think people are tired of Open World games and for a good reason.