• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict the score.

Votes: 45 1.3%
  • 95-99

Votes: 54 1.6%
  • 90-94

Votes: 507 14.6%
  • 85-89

Votes: 1,801 51.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 933 26.8%
  • 75-79

Votes: 105 3.0%
  • <74

Votes: 30 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DkMnIRn.jpg

TJLToxE.jpg

zwuxJSt.jpg

Mitchell Saltzman: IGN:
(9/10)
Ghost of Tsushima is an enormous and densely packed samurai adventure that often left me completely awestruck with both its visual spectacle and excellent combat. By steadily introducing new abilities instead of stat upgrades, its swordplay manages to stay challenging, rewarding, and fun throughout the entire 40 to 50 hours that it took me to beat the campaign. A few aspects are surprisingly lacking in polish in comparison to other first-party Sony games, especially when it comes to enemy AI and the stealth part of its stealth/action split. Still this is an extraordinary open-world action-adventure game that solves several issues that have long gone unaddressed in the genre, while also just being an all around samurai slashin' good time.

Edmond Tran: GameSpot:
(7/10)
Ghost of Tsushima's story hits hard in the game's third and final act, and ends in spectacular fashion. It left me with the same kinds of strong emotions I felt at the end of all my favourite samurai film epics, and had me eager to watch them all again. The game hits a lot of fantastic cinematic highs, and those ultimately lift it above the trappings of its familiar open-world quest design and all the innate weaknesses that come with it--but those imperfections and dull edges are definitely still there. Ghost of Tsushima is at its best when you're riding your horse and taking in the beautiful world on your own terms, armed with a sword and a screenshot button, allowing the environmental cues and your own curiosity to guide you. It's not quite a Criterion classic, but a lot of the time it sure looks like one.

Ian Walker: Kotaku:
Ghost of Tsushima is pretty as heck—sporadic capturing left me with almost 50 GB worth of screenshots and short video clips to sift through—but at its core, it's just another open-world game. I found myself audibly sighing every time I crested a hill towards a mystery objective only to find another fox to follow or another haiku to compose. These diversions, while unique at first glance, proved to just be busy work as time wore on. I was so strong by the end of the game—filling up every skill tree is easy if you ignore the main story and just explore for a bit—that I didn't even bother using stealth tactics for the last third. I don't think I even died after the first few hours. There's so little to get excited about in Tsushima once the initial wonder of the wind physics and lush environments wears off that the only thing that kept me going was my own innate desire to fill out the entire map. And that can only hold someone's interest for so long.

Carolyn Petit: Polygon:
Ghost of Tsushima has a distinctive aesthetic, after all, but it's only skin-deep. The core game underneath that alluring exterior is a pastiche of open-world game design standards from five years ago; it lacks a real personality of its own. Ghost of Tsushima offers a lovely world to explore, and there's value in that, but it should have been so much more than a checklist of activities to accomplish.

Matt Miller: Game Informer:
(9.5/10)
Ghost of Tsushima captures the mystique, fierce violence, and barely contained emotional angst of the great samurai films. The line of inspiration is clearly purposeful; Sucker Punch included a gorgeous "Kurosawa Mode," which sets a black-and-white, film-grain, audio-treated effect that doubles down on the classic cinematic vibe. It's well worth turning on, if only for a few missions. But even beyond that cool feature, this is a game that nails the aesthetic it's shooting for, firmly establishing itself as the medium's defining samurai saga.

EDGE:
(6/10)
Its story is excessively maudlin and self-serious to the point of pomposity - it's no exaggeration to say Naughty Dog gave us more laughs. And as pretty as the scenery is, we'd rather it didn't obstruct us so often when we're fighting; with a tight camera and no way of locking onto individual opponents, you sometimes end up cornered without realising, or struck by enemies you can't see. Combat should be an entertaining, empowering dance, and though it sometimes hits those heights, too often it can't resist throwing too many enemies into the mix. It's supposed to get messy, but not like this...When the world isn't getting in your way, however, it is Ghost of Tsushima's saving grace. [Issue#348, p.86]

Rachel Weber: GamesRadar+:
(4.5/5)
These are minor complaints in a game that gave me packed days and nights of adventure and storytelling, made me shed a tear and Google grief support groups, and gave me a new love for the history and traditions of feudal Japan. There's so much to do, such fervent, visible love for the subject matter - from the ink brush artwork that appears in cutscenes when you're hearing a mythical tale, to the Kurosawa Mode filter that paints the world in a cinematic monochrome and was given the blessing of Akira Kurosawa's estate. It would be understandable for developer Sucker Punch to feel nervous about releasing a game so close to the critically-acclaimed The Last of Us 2, and as PS5 glimmers on the horizon, but it shouldn't. This is a worthy swan song for the PS4, and a tribute to the Japanese culture it so clearly reveres.

Mike Williams: USGamer:
(4/5)
Sucker Punch's first stab at a stealth action adventure hits the mark. The island of Tsushima is a beautiful backdrop for this tale of revenge and honor and the environmental art is a visual treat. Combat and stealth are largely solid, though there are issues with the camera and hitting the right targets. The biggest stumble comes with the Japanese vocal track, which isn't synced correctly with the character's lips, a shame for a game like this. Ghost of Tsushima isn't the most innovative way to end a generation, but it is a fun one.

Andrew Webster: The Verge:
The latest PS4 game from developer Sucker Punch is an attempt to merge the structure of a conventional open-world game with the setting of a classic samurai film. Think of it as Assassin's Creed by way of Akira Kurosawa. When things click, it's amazing; Ghost is a beautiful game, one full of focused, contemplative moments, from tense, one-on-one sword duels to peaceful retreats to compose haiku under a tree. Ghost doesn't hit the same highs as its cinematic inspirations, but it apes their themes and style in a way that at least feels unique for a video game.

The problem is that it so often isn't quiet. Open-world games are big and busy, and those elements — the gigantic battles, the sprawling map, the copious sidequests, the repetitive mission structure — drown out what makes Ghost feel special. The two sides of the game feel constantly at odds. When it works, it's incredible. The rest of the time, it's yet another open-world action game.

Gene Park: The Washington Post:
"Ghost of Tsushima" is disappointing if you're going to compare it to some of the greatest cinematic works ever made. But as fallout from this misguided ambition, "Ghost" is also a wonderful culmination of the best ideas of open-world adventures of the last two console generations, all wrapped up in very pretty, albeit superficial, samurai clothing. It's a great Xbox 360 game, and I mean that as a compliment.

Patrick Klepek: Vice:
There were a handful of times during the dozen or so hours I recently spent with Ghost of Tsushima, a new open world samurai cop action game from Infamous developer Sucker Punch, where I'd deliberately pause whatever seemingly urgent mission I was on and idle in slack-jawed awe at what was displayed in front of me. The sake production facility that was on fire, I told myself, could wait. As clusters of vibrant leaves swirled abound and a patch of tall grass gently swayed beneath my feet, the sun would blast rays of blinding color that combined into something more than beautiful—it proved genuinely moving.

All of this is punctuated by the game's clever way of guiding players from one waypoint to the next, with the wind subtly flowing and rocking trees and bushes about, nudging the player in the right direction. It turns a critical interface component into a damn piece of art.
The problem was after the moment passed and I returned to the action. Then, it was time for another investigation of the problems of someone who found you on the side of the road—you spend a surprising amount of time tracking footprints in Ghost of Tsushima—or another set of the enemies in the same-ish fort, one of dozens in need. It's a game where so many individual components feel really good, but it's all dropped into outdated structure.

Kirk McKeand: VG247:
(★★★ out of five):
Like the samurai, Ghost of Tsushima feels like a relic of a bygone era.

Sam Machkovech: Ars Technica:
An open-world adventure can nail tropes like graphics, combat, stealth, or modes of transportation and feel amazing at first blush. But what keeps us hooked to the required repetition of the genre once players get to a game's 10th or 20th hour? Some open-world fans may opt to skip dialogue and plot sequences while clearing missions and killing foes, hooked to the basic rush of gameplay mechanics. GoT is fine in that respect—a good measure above "competent," though not revolutionary.

But the reason I am absolutely captivated and excited by this game is because it marries all of that content—how it looks, how battles play out, how quests are linked together, how good it feels to ride its horses through giant fields of dramatically lit flowers and trees—with a sense of purpose, which Sucker Punch constantly reinforces in surprising ways. Sakai ranks among the best Sony video game heroes in recent memory—and, gosh, that's high praise, considering what Sony Interactive Entertainment has produced in the PS4 era. But that's arguably because everyone and everything in his path feels so real, so human, and so alive.

If you need to get lost in over 30 hours of heroic gameplay right now, in a single-player adventure with no online connectivity gimmicks or content locked away as DLC, Sucker Punch has you covered with an instant contender for 2020's game of the year.

Caleb Wysor: The Spiel Times:
(7/10)
Ghost of Tsushima is an enjoyable but muddled experience: its strong gameplay fundamentals are hampered by a lack of originality and weak storytelling.

Chris Tapsell: Eurogamer:
Like the game itself, they go for authenticity through facsimile - recreating moments without the requisite weight and context. And, like the game itself, they're lacking a little depth. Despite the immediate and undeniable thrill, the gloss can be just a little too quick to wear off.

Aran Suddi: TheSixthAxis:
(8/10)
Ghost of Tsushima is an artistic triumph, capturing a real cinematic feel through its visuals, immersive world and soundtrack. However, Jin is a serviceable main character and he and his journey to save Tsushima is often overshadowed by secondary characters and smaller, more personal stories found in the side quests. Throw in some formulaic missions and an awkward user interface, and Ghost of Tsushima is at times more style than substance.

Robert Ramsey: Push Square:
(9/10)
Ghost of Tsushima is a joy to play and a joy to behold. Sucker Punch has crafted one of the most memorable open world games of this generation, buoyed by an immensely satisfying combat system and an engaging, dramatic story. Unlike many of its open world peers, it's a refined and focused experience -- gripping and immaculately presented at its best. A fitting first-party swansong for the PS4.

Chris Carter: Destructoid:
(9/10)
Ghost of Tsushima kept me interested throughout the course of its entire campaign, but there are plenty of story-based side missions and extras to uncover. The map isn't obnoxiously big — though there are a lot of collectibles — and the genuinely speedy fast-travel system helps move things along. The dual audio and multiple difficulty settings also nicely tee up extra replays.

With Ghost of Tsushima under its belt, Sucker Punch deserves to be in the same conversation as Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sony Santa Monica. If this generation is to wrap up soon, it's fitting that it'll end with Tsushima: one of its most beautiful games thus far.

Kieron Verbrugge: Press Start:
(8.5/10)
Ghost of Tsushima might be built from the same stuff as its AAA, open world contemporaries, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best open world experiences of the generation. Sucker Punch has set its samurai fantasy apart by presenting players with a beautiful world that is rewarding to explore, with many mysteries to uncover. Jin's story is a compelling tale pulled from the pages of the epics, and it's just one of many that the game has to offer. The game isn't perfect, but it's not often I spend upwards of 50 hours playing an open world game to total completion and immediately want to jump back in, even if it's just to sit and watch the breeze roll by.

Alessio Palumbo: Wccftech:
(9/10)
Ghost of Tsushima is Sucker Punch's best game yet and a great open world title capable of measuring to some of the biggest names in the genre. The excellent rendition of feudal Japan, along with its well-written characters and story, make Ghost of Tsushima stand out as the last must-have PlayStation 4 exclusive.

John-Paul Jones: PlayStation Universe:
(9/10)
Ghost of Tsushima elevates the existing open world adventure template with a fantasy-free Samurai adventure that deftly pays loving homage to the Samurai cinema of old. While your mileage may vary according to your level of open world fatigue, Ghost of Tsushima undoubtedly remains not only one of the best open world romps money can buy and a stunning PlayStation 4 exclusive, but also Sucker Punch Productions finest effort to date.

Alex Co: MP1ST:
(9.5/10)
If Ghost of Tsushima is the swan song game for the PS4, then it ends with a whirlwind of slashes, and it gives Sucker Punch the franchise it's aiming for that stands toe to toe with the likes of God of War, Uncharted, and the rest of Sony's impressive first-party studio games lineup.

Darcy Tranter-Cook: Progress Bar:
(7.5/10)
In order to best sum up my feelings about this game, let me close out with a story. During one tale, I was scaling the cliffs around a Mongol camp when I came across a guard. He was standing right on the edge of a significant drop with the waves crashing below. 'Great!' I thought, 'I'll stab him in the neck and he'll topple off the cliff and what fun I'll have'. So I go up and stab him and he falls to the ground, perfectly horizontal despite half of his body being suspended in mid-air. No ragdoll. No toppling.​

And that's Ghost of Tsushima in a nutshell: it's fine, it gets the job done, but I sure was expecting to enjoy myself a lot more than I did.​

Matt Sainsbury: Digitally Downloaded:
(★★★ out of five):
And so, at the end of nearly 5,500 words of review, everything that I've written leaves me in a conundrum. On the one hand, just with The Last Of Us 2, I found the moment-to-moment gameplay of Ghost of Tsushima to be precise, engaging, satisfying and massively entertaining, if a little derivative at this point in time – the open world genre as a whole does need some new ideas. Tsushima doesn't do anything that will surprise you if you've played any of Sony's other first party games in recent years, but it does it all in a way that's as refined and sharp as a samurai's blade, and that is fundamentally enjoyable. I can't stress that enough – this game is fundamentally enjoyable. However, as much as I had issues with The Last Of Us 2's narrative, it was an American story told by Americans, and it had a thematic and tonal resonance as such. It was consistent and uncompromised. Ghost of Tsushima by contrast is a wild misfire with every narrative element it attempts, and it boils down to this: Sucker Punch decided to do a historical epic inspired by Kurosawa… and produced something that fails as both history and as a pastiche of Kurosawa. There are going to be a lot of people that love this game, and I'm glad those people enjoy the game, but I don't think that those failures should be overlooked, nor dismissed as irrelevant to the quality of this, both as artwork and entertainment product.

Adam Mathew: PowerUp:
(8/10)
Ghost of Tsushima isn't perfect but, like a summoned objective on your touchpad, it's a breath of fresh air that'll send a warm chill down the spine of any Samurai aficionado. It has hit the ground running and has way more than a Ghost of a chance against Ubisoft's well-entrenched AAA behemoth genre king. That in itself is a pretty damn impressive feat. The 2020 battle for your hard-earned yen just got interesting.

William Schwartz: Attack of the Fanboy:
(★★★★1/2 out of five):
Ghost of Tsushima is a masterclass on how to make an open world feel palatable and focused while still offering the rewarding progression necessary to make it all come together. A mixture of traditional swordfighting combat and stealth sequences meld well with the beautiful, organically unfolding island of Tsushima and come together to form one of the best open world action games of the year.

Andrew Beeken: Next Gen Base:
(9/10)
A game full of meaningful moments, of quiet contemplation and brutal, savage combat. A game about family, tradition, honour and change that comes at a significant point of change in Sony's videogame strategy. A more hopeful and less alienating experience than The Last of Us Part II and a step back to a more gentle and inviting form of open world adventure, Ghost of Tsushima is both a celebration of the past and a look towards the future, and is a fitting first party swansong for the PS4.

Bobby Pashalidis: Console Creatures:
Ghost of Tsushima is the biggest game yet from Sucker Punch and it's their most impressive game to date. While I didn't appreciate the story as much as I wanted to, the combat, the characters, the island of Tsushima offer enough to make up for it. Combat is fast, chaotic, and satisfying. Stealth is as good as combat thanks to the tools Jin uses to push back the Mongols from his home and following the Guiding Wind often leads to something worth riding to. This is Sucker Punch's most ambitious game by far and as the curtain closes on PlayStation 4, it is a fitting way to close out the 8th generation of consoles.

Kobi Rosenthal: PC Galaxy (Before Embargo)
(9.5/10) (Review in Hebrew, excerpt was machine-translated, tag/DM me if a better translation can be offered):

Ghost of Tsushima is another great open-world game from Sucker Punch.

While the battle system can be a bit stiff and would have benefited more from enemy variety and depth, it is still an amazing game in terms of gameplay, visuals, and story with a busy and lively world which serves as the biggest attraction of the game with each mission and place that feels important and interesting. Ghost of Tsushima is the ultimate samurai game, and closes the generation in a big way.

l719sPx.jpg

Gamexplain: Liked-a-lot

ACG:

Easy Allies: (8.5/10)

The Spiel Times: (7/10, see above for written review)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BZL8
Kinda Funny Games:

Next Gen Base: (9/10, see above for written review)

FightinCowboy:

More Review Videos of Interest
Arekkz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4fTQ1gpH64
YongYea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr7A-M3LFQY
Alanah Pearce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQDI5oUy10
Unranked Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssjQmxahhQY
WhatCulture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5YYYBaM9k

A Select List of the Biggest PS4 Games This Year
pZGT8AQ.png

Past Sucker Punch Games
JNuCFaz.png

Last edited:

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
If it reviews above an 80, I'm there day 1. I really want my Kurosawa game.

I'm guessing somewhere between 84-86.

I hope the main story is 20 hours or less, but I've heard it's much bigger.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Currently 63% of us believe it will land at 85-89%.
That's kind of amazing.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
I wish the game had some supernatural elements because that would have played right into SP's DNA, the gameplay for inFamous is incredible but still have high hopes Ghosts is fun to play. Their issue has always been world building and not just having it be a playground for powers in the inFamous games, they can't do that this time.

It's gonna score 75+ simply because it won't be buggy which really held Days Gone back, I'll be pleasantly surprised with anything over 80 though.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what we have seen.. I would give this game 90+ ..it scratches every itch for me. I get reviewers have opinions and all.. but I have come to not be able to understand alot of their critique.
For example.. I think RDR2 deserves an 8/10.
I think Days Gone also deserves an 8/10.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The classic 85-89

It looks like a more polished and more well thought out Ubisoft game much like HZD. And AC Odyssey has an 83. Either way the scores land, I'm excited to jump in.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Really looking forward to this game. It looks like such a sincere effort. I have a feeling that even if it only scores in the low 80s, I think I'll like it far more than that suggests.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't even played it, but the game is a 10/10 in my mind. I think it'll be around the 90-94 mark.

OP
OP
BZL8
Why make this thread so early? People were discussing the game in the embargo thread.
Isn't this thread just a tad bit early?
Isn't this too early? One or few hours before embargo should be fine.
Got it up and running early because:
1: Got the materials for the thread done early in advance.
2: I don't have time to make a thread right before the end of an embargo.
3: I usually post review threads for games a few days before their embargoes lift most of the time.
4: Why not?

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Hoping for 90+ but I think it'll land between 85-89 which is a very good score IMO. Pre-order is already placed regardless of the reviews, can't wait to play this game! ^-^

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking its a 90 at least. Guessed right for The Last of Us 2 so hope I'm right this time lol.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking around 91. Game looks amazing and I think will shock a lot of people by how good it will be.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember there once being a policy enforced where review threads weren't allowed to be made until an hour prior to the embargo lifted.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
86. I'm expecting reviews to say:

- Stellar presentation, great music, lush setting all big pluses
- Decent story but not a lot of it, largely confined to a few cutscenes here and there.
- Somewhat of a "Ubisoft style" open world game, with an emphasis on camp clearing and question marks. In the other thread I said "Assassin's Creed" a lot but upon further reflection this is what I was really getting at.
- Combat I expect to be a bit divisive.