flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I finally figured out who Loeffer reminds me of.

The awkward dancer from Friday

hqdefault.jpg

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
That's not why she's doing it. It's because she doesn't want Trump to sink her tonight if she refuses to say the election was rigged.

Yup, they asked her yesterday what she would've done if she'd been present to override Trump's veto with the rest of the Senate, and she acted like the interviewer was speaking in Martian. You would think the zeal that these congressmen debase themselves would be a turnoff to grown adults but for some crazy reason it works.

Feb 19, 2018
Manchin will never sink a bill they could pass. It's his thing. He only votes with the GOP when it doesn't change anything.
It's the clever thing to do, especially considering his electorate. And despite all the hate Manchin gets here, it's still a million times better than another Republican senator from a deeply red state voting for whatever Mitch tells him to.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
It's the clever thing to do, especially considering his electorate. And despite all the hate Manchin gets here, it's still a million times better than another Republican senator from a deeply red state voting for whatever Mitch tells him to.

It's crazy how Manchin wins in a state that Trump won by 40 points

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Manchin will never sink a bill they could pass. It's his thing. He only votes with the GOP when it doesn't change anything.

I'm more worried about Sinema. She seems to have voted more consistently conservatively, especially as a House Rep. I'm not familiar with the issues she's a captial C Conservative on.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be so quick to think the filibuster stays as-is because Dems don't have a wide enough vote margin. Removing it actually gives Sinema and Manchin a lot more sway; it's easy to see how they could get on board.

I bet if we get to 50 from GA then Democrats will try to pass some strong voting rights legislation and/or COVID recovery and when Republicans block it in the Senate that's when they use it for justification to reform the filibuster.

There's also another incentive for blowing it up: adding DC and PR as states. Democrats are never going to get to 60 Senators through normal electoral means, the deck is just too stacked. To do anything meaningful they will need to get rid of the current incarnation.

There's also another incentive for blowing it up: adding DC and PR as states. Democrats are never going to get to 60 Senators through normal electoral means, the deck is just too stacked. To do anything meaningful they will need to get rid of the current incarnation.
The Senate caucus is far from unified on adding new states (though I personally think they would likely fall in line on that with a concerted push).

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't fathom the reasoning behind voting for a Republican after they were shown to have dumped stocks for a pandemic that they downplayed AND for withholding the Democrat backed $2000 cheques.

But here we are...

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more worried about Sinema. She seems to have voted more consistently conservatively, especially as a House Rep. I'm not familiar with the issues she's a captial C Conservative on.
She also will never sink a bill the Dems could have passed. You don't need to worry about that part.

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
So right now McConnell decides what goes to the floor for a vote, in the event of a tied Senate who makes the call on what gets voted on?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I honestly can't fathom the reasoning behind voting for a Republican after they were shown to have dumped stocks for a pandemic that they downplayed AND for withholding the Democrat backed $2000 cheques.

But here we are...
These are people (whom I know) who were practically worshipping just because their god-emperor flew overhead as he approached the rally tonight. It really feels like they see him as a modern day messiah and that means his party gets to tag along for the ride with a lot of them.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
These are people (whom I know) who were practically worshipping just because their god-emperor flew overhead as he approached the rally tonight. It really feels like they see him as a modern day messiah and that means his party gets to tag along for the ride with a lot of them.
There's an "artwork" going around online with Trump on the cross with Melania washing his feet and Pelosi piercing him with a spear. They definitely worship like a messiah...kinda like the anticrist they keep preaching about.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Those of you non believers, will you give me your $2k check when Dems win? Put your money where your doubt is.

/s

Let's go Georgia. Save us!

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

But here we are...

Think of the choice as between enabling government to function and blocking it from functioning.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

But here we are...
A lot of these people vote brainlessly. "If I'm a Republican, well then I'm voting for the Republican." Doesn't matter who they are, what they've done. All they need to know is if they're a Republican or not.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
There aren't actually "parties" in Congress. The only reason we(and Congress) think of it in terms of Dem and Rep Senators is because of hyperpartisanship.
Ok, for some reason I thought the party with the most senators chose the majority leader. Like if the republicans had more then they would vote amongst themselves and that the Dems wouldn't even have a vote on the matter

Wouldn't it make sense for the minority party to vote for a member in the majority party who is centrist and try to convince as many people from the majority party to go for that? So for example Ben Sasse or Mitt Romney over Mitch?

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
any new polls or data?? I need good shit to happen

Polls:

Early voting:

Of course, this all means nothing if Democrats don't also turn out today or if Republicans have a really strong election day turnout. The race could easily go in any direction at this point, but Democrats are doing what they need to do for a potential victory.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
If we get both seats Stacey Abrams deserves her own kingdom. She has my axe and shield at her command.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

It's actually even more confusing for the sake of depicting Pelosi as Longinus.

Longinus is considered a martyr in the major traditions, and even outside of the canon it's hard to really arrange things in your head such that he's a "traitor" when Jesus was already, you know, thoroughly crucified at the time he stabbed him. Like, you'd want to depict her as Judas or maybe Pilate, not Longinus; I know it's hardly the worst sacrilege on display here, but it still irks me.

It's like, has the artist ever actually heard the story of the trial and crucifixion of Jesus, or did they just see a painting with a dude giving him a poke and say, "Yeah, that's the bad one, I'm sure of it!"?