• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
This was posted in the other thread but could this be legit?

v-FROMSOFT-s-new-game-for-E3-confirmed-Project-Rune-Dark-Souls-successor-Video-Games-4chan-2019-05-20-16-21-22.png

The other reports say it is called GR, this says it's Project Rune or "PR", someone else in the thread mentioned "Project Great Rune".
Miyisaki.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Nice. Hoping we see more games from this universe.

I would love a CDPR game. I think they're the only devs who could really do a Song of Ice and Fire RPG to the quality level I would want.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
That would be insane, I hope it's real. Ever since GOT started up again I've been itching for an action game set in medieval times, I ended up reinstalling The Witcher 3 because it's basically what I was looking for, however I still can't get through it since the combat is terrible, a game like that but with a FromSoftware combat system just sounds too good.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If GRRM was just doing consulting... then it's very likely to be A Song of Ice and Fire related.
But I think it won't be so related to the books/series, don't think those characters would fit a game like the one described, considering the books are much more about politics and strategy than action and adventure. Making it in Westeros a few centuries before is more fitting IMO.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how From Software approaches open-world design and I'm expecting people being very disappointed when realizing it has nothing to do with Souls.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if it is a MS time exclusive title. That's a game changer for sure.

Imagine if this is Epic Games Store exclusive first. Release on console 6 months to a year later. That's going to be the new wave. Instead of Microsoft or Sony timed exclusive on their respective platforms, next-gen is Epic throwing haymakers and nabbing third party timed exclusives on their platform.

Just kidding, but actually maybe this will come true for other titles.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
If GRRM was just doing consulting... then it's very likely to be A Song of Ice and Fire related.
But I think it won't be so related to the books/series, don't think those characters would fit a game like the one described, considering the books are much more about politics and strategy than action and adventure. Making it in Westeros a few centuries before is more fitting IMO.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how From Software approaches open-world design and I'm expecting people being very disappointed when realizing it has nothing to do with Souls.
Having a Westeros game without politics is basically not making a Westeros game

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Personally I feel From's game really shine when the story details are subtle.
Sekiro initially struggled with the plot being so plain and written out on the surface but I hope in the future From goes back to their roots.
Yeah this is my main concern after Sekiro + George R.R. Martin being onboard. But if he's just doing lore and stuff it'll be alright. Instead of them having to stay in the boundaries of an existing universe.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Imagine if this is Epic Games Store exclusive first. Release on console 6 months to a year later. That's going to be the new wave. Instead of Microsoft or Sony timed exclusive on their respective platforms, next-gen is Epic throwing haymakers and nabbing third party timed exclusives on their platform.

Just kidding, but actually maybe this will come true for other titles.
I can see this dystopian video game future. It's almost guarantee. Sad, but true.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Hoping we see more games from this universe.

I would love a CDPR game. I think they're the only devs who could really do a Song of Ice and Fire RPG to the quality level I would want.
AnchoredLittleDevilfish-size_restricted.gif

I agree, personally CDPR are the only ones who can pull of ASOIAF universe, which makes me more curious as to how GRR is gonna inject his style into a Souls like game where story is told via gameplay.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

I think just setting in Asshai would work best.

Easternmost and southernmost of the great cities of the known world, the ancient port of Asshai stands at the end of a long wedge of land, on the point where the Jade Sea meets the Saffron Straits. Its origins are lost in the mists of time. Even the Asshai'i do not claim to know who built their city; they will say only that a city has stood here since the world began and will stand here until it ends.

Few places in the known world are as remote as Asshai, and fewer are as forbidding. Travelers tell us that the city is built entirely of black stone: halls, hovels, temples, palaces, streets, walls, bazaars, all. Some say as well that the stone of Asshai has a greasy, unpleasant feel to it, that it seems to drink the light, dimming tapers and torches and hearth fires alike. The nights are very black in Asshai, all agree, and even the brightest days of summer are somehow grey and gloomy.

This sounds like an area straight from Dark Souls.

Asshai is a large city, sprawling out for leagues on both banks of the black river Ash. Behind its enormous land walls is ground enough for Volantis, Qarth, and King's Landing to stand side by side and still have room for Oldtown.

The city is humongous.

An account by Archmaester Marwyn confirms reports that no man rides in Asshai, be he warrior, merchant, or prince. There are no horses in Asshai, no elephants, no mules, no donkeys, no zorses, no camels, no dogs. Such beasts, when brought there by ship, soon die. The malign influence of the Ash and its polluted waters have been implicated, as it is well understood from Harmon's On Miasmas that animals are more sensitive to the foulness exuded by such waters, even without drinking them. Septon Barth's writings speculate more wildly, referring to the higher mysteries with little evidence.

The place is so toxic that normal animals can't live there.

Yet the population of Asshai is no greater than that of a good-sized market town. By night the streets are deserted, and only one building in ten shows a light. Even at the height of day, there are no crowds to be seen, no tradesmen shouting their wares in noisy markets, no women gossiping at a well. Those who walk the streets of Asshai are masked and veiled, and have a furtive air about them. Oft as not, they walk alone, or ride in palanquins of ebony and iron, hidden behind dark curtains and borne through the dark streets upon the backs of slaves. And there are no children in Asshai.

It's depopulated.

The dark city by the Shadow is a city steeped in sorcery. Warlocks, wizards, alchemists, moonsingers, red priests, black alchemists, necromancers, aeromancers, pyromancers, bloodmages, torturers, inquisitors, poisoners, godswives, night-walkers, shapechangers, worshippers of the Black Goat and the Pale Child and the Lion of Night, all find welcome in Asshai-by-the-Shadow, where nothing is forbidden. Here they are free to practice their spells without restraint or censure, conduct their obscene rites, and fornicate with demons if that is their desire.

Most sinister of all the sorcerers of Asshai are the shadowbinders, whose lacquered masks hide their faces from the eyes of gods and men. They alone dare to go upriver past the walls of Asshai, into the heart of darkness.

Most of the people that do live here are sorcerers of some king. It's a city of black magic.

On its way from the Mountains of the Morn to the sea, the Ash runs howling through a narrow cleft in the mountains, between towering cliffs so steep and close that the river is perpetually in shadow, save for a few moments at midday when the sun is at its zenith. In the caves that pockmark the cliffs, demons and dragons and worse make their lairs. The farther from the city one goes, the more hideous and twisted these creatures become...until at last one stands before the doors of the Stygai, the corpse city at the Shadow's heart, where even the shadowbinders fear to tread. Or so the stories say.

Demons and dragons live in Asshai.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
I'm really excited for this, I'm all in for anything FromSoftware after BloodBorne, dark souls 3, and Sekiro. I hope it's multi platform though.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

The city is humongous.

It's depopulated.

Most of the people that do live here are sorcerers of some king. It's a city of black magic.

Yeah. This would be as cool as setting the game in Valyria. Again, I don't think that will happen though. But let's all dream together.

Some Asshai fanart for everyone to drool at:

main-qimg-631ff2894e959052f6d5abf28575d834.webp

maxresdefault.jpg

4c4be02a5e8a02aca0fbe6c997b184cb.jpg

How about this Stygai?

latest
c0b5b6a723d81bbeab9bcae9b3d383e298d75ec5v2_00.jpg

enrique-murguia-stygai.jpg

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017

The city is humongous.

It's depopulated.

This would be so cool, and a great way to show parts of the ASOIAF world that I'm sure he'll never get around to really writing a ton about

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice & Fire universe
Ambiguous time period, far removed from canonical events of both the books and show
Open world, non-linear landmass and quest structure
Cities, villages, ruins, etc
Ultimate objective to travel to each kingdom and assassinate the ruler
Dark Souls / Sekiro hybrid; methodical melee combat like Dark Souls, enhanced stealth systems and navigation gear from Sekiro
Play as an assassin who worships the Many-Faced God, able to shapeshift your identity to get closer to targets
Dabble with dark, misunderstood magics from the Many-Faced God, Old Gods, and Lord of Light
High fantasy isn't even in my top 10 favorite genres and this has me hyped.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
This was posted in the other thread but could this be legit?

v-FROMSOFT-s-new-game-for-E3-confirmed-Project-Rune-Dark-Souls-successor-Video-Games-4chan-2019-05-20-16-21-22.png

The other reports say it is called GR, this says it's Project Rune or "PR", someone else in the thread mentioned "Project Great Rune".
gematsu said the project's codename is GR
great rune is a really bad title though, hope they change it

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Anyone think it'll be Microsoft exclusive? Or they just got the reveal honors?

Well played by From to put one exclusive on each competing console if that's the case

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Whenever I read From Software I grab my wallet and run out of the house to the gamestore, bursting through the door, throwing my wallet on the counter and scream "New FromSoft gameh gimme noww", while drooling on the floor.

Then they kick me out the door, saying "fuck off, fanboy". This happens all the time.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
So i've been pretty slow at reading the GRR rumor thread and well this rumor for me and for a lot of people in the thread went from a fake rumor to a rumor from that might be true to a rumor that could quite possibly well be true to a rumor confirmed by anonymous sources to a rumor confirmed by news outlets to a rumor that seems like an almost certainty for me.

From the 4chan image, i REALLY hope Yui Tanimura ain't the lead director for this because of his decisions on Dark souls 2's gameplay changes from Dark souls 1 which i really hated but regardless i hope the player movement is not slow and the fighting isn't slow paced like dark souls 2. I HATED that.

Last edited:

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great but I'm really hoping it's not by From. It doesn't sound like a type of game that plays to their strengths as a studio.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
From the 4chan image, i REALLY hope Yui Tanimura ain't the lead director for this because of his decisions on Dark souls 2's gameplay changes from Dark souls 1 which i really hated but regardless i hope the player movement is not slow and the fighting isn't slow paced like dark souls 2. I HATED that.

I think Miyazaki is helming this with co-directors. I'm hoping this is 100% original and not tied to any license and pre-determined lore.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy the 4chan stuff. Not much of it matches up with the stuff from much more reputable sources outside of some super broad stuff

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I would've thought EA would own anything Game of thrones gaming related merchandise. They have rhe money to make GRR Martin more richer. Most likely From is making a new DS with GOT settings. Man, I'd expect even Bethesda to consult GRR at some point for ideas for ESVI

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
We'll probably get a tease like Sekiro TGA at the Microsoft presser. One CG shot, the From logo, the name drops of Miyazaki and Martin and maybe (if we're lucky) a title.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
So i've been pretty slow at reading the GRR rumor thread and well this rumor for me and for a lot of people in the thread went from a fake rumor to a rumor from that might be true to a rumor that could quite possibly true to a rumor confirmed by anonymous sources to a rumor confirmed by news outlets to a rumor that seems like an almost certainty for me.

I don't think Yui Tanimura was responsible for those changes to gameplay/animations, considering its troubled development, and people don't give him enough credit, I feel.
I was also disappointed in DkS2, but I think he also played a large role in the design of DkS3, which turned out fucking great. Plus, Miyazaki is probably heavily involved in this project as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.