• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish the MC spoke. I hate that Paimon does all the talking for us.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Electro just needs more characters in general. The possibility we might get Electro Lumine is actually kind of hype.
oh definitely for sure, it's just we already got dps and support dps and non healing support, despite only having five units - but no healing

kinda sad two of the five are... claymore tho, there's no polearm (yet, obviously, inazuma seems to be changing that)

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
aight i did the abyss with razor the whole way through

not the best i've done, that's for sure, but not the worst either! could definitely see him being way better if i 1) maxed out the gravestone and 2) devoted more time to getting Sweet Ass Artifacts for him but, i won't lol, he's just not as fun as a lot of other characters

and i like claymores 😭

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that since I have Eula the MC will get a lot more clock when 2.0 hits and I touch that first statue of the seven. Actually thought about putting placeholder gear on her so I can use her somewhat right away until I get access to that artifact dungeon

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Genshin Report is a leaker with a really long track record.

In the meantime looked at their track record myself. They post a bunch of leaks from at that time current betas and upcoming game versiosn, which mostly turn out to be true, duh!
But they sometimes also engange in speculation about stuff that is much further away, which they consistently repeat are a "maybe", "should be taken with a grain of salt", "is changing all the time", "could be pushed back"...
That honestly looks like the textbook case of someone just speculating and still trying to cover all of their bases by being vague and uncommited.

Quote by themselves:
" Don't believe everything you hear about Genshin Impact.... I say as somebody that also makes bold claims and leaks about Genshin impact."

I failed to find any substantial claim by them, that was not part of beta/upcoming game version leaks and looking far into the future, that turned out to be true and proves he knows much more than we do.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I just wish the MC spoke. I hate that Paimon does all the talking for us.

I was just thinking about how Persona 5 had a silent protag.

But even in that game you had frequent choices even if many of them weren't major and you at least had the impression that conversations were happening between Joker and other NPCs as Morgana who is the mascot equivalent can't even speak to most characters in the game outside the main party.

It's just badly done here.

And the reason it miffs me so much is because of the other big game that Mihoyo has, that Genshin is based off of has an excellent main character, one who's journey and development is the biggest reason why so many are emotionally invested in the story.

I've been watching some Genshin streamers who started playing Honkai after hearing about it after playing Genshin and they all have the same reaction to the story and main character. People tearing up and crying at pivotal and climactic moments. Voice actors talking about how they can't finish recording for the upcoming cg animation because people need to take breaks so they can stop crying.

Wouldn't it be great if Genshin players could invest themselves into the story and main character to the same degree that Honkai players do with Honkai?

I'd love it, but at the current pace it doesn't look like it'll ever develop that way with them meaninglessly hamstringing the main character, the awkwardness of We Will Be Reunited's climactic moment showing the direct result of that and will likely be that way in the future unless things change.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I did it! I dumped all my saved up wishes into the Kazuha banner. >__< I enjoyed him too much in his test run. It was not enough to reach pity, so no Kazuha, but I got 2 Razors, 1 Rosaria and thank God just 1 Bennett. Benny is now C5 and dangerously close to C6. D:

I'll leave the Kazuha banner alone now, it wasn't meant to be, lol.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I will agree that we just need more electro characters period. Hopefully we get a rerun banner with a few new 4 stars after 1.7 so I can save up for Baal.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Someone saying that the Persona 5 protagonist is a better silent protagonist? Nnnnn gurl.... Mona don't speak for him because that is Ryuji job (specially when lusting over Ann or the other girls) just like P4 Yu had Yusuke and P3 had Yukari and Junpei.

ANYWAY!

Leaked footage of the new domains:

They really went all out with the aesthetics of Inazuma... just from the few screens we saw I already like it way more than Liyue and Liyue had some cool vistas.

Cdy1clh.jpg

I guess some people will not pull for her now :laugh:

Last edited:

Liv

Teyvat Traveler
Aug 20, 2019
After being stuck at 34 stars for the last 4 abyss cycles i finally broke through! Fuck yeah, I'm finally in the 36* club! Got a few infuriating runs yesterday in which I was missing the time by 5-10s. Thundersoother Benny is what I was missing to shave of those seconds on 12-3. I know a lot of people seem to get these 36* without trying much, but this really pushed my teams to the limit and it's really fucking rewarding. Even if the reward itself is just an additional 50 primos lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Someone saying that the Persona 5 protagonist is a better silent protagonist? Nnnnn gurl.... Mona don't speak for him because that is Ryuji job (specially when lusting over Ann or the other girls) just like P4 Yu had Yusuke and P3 had Yukari and Junpei.

Not saying that it never happened, just that you had more instances of Joker talking one on one with people and more frequent responses which gives the impression that a conversation is happening which while not my ideal as I dislike silent protags in story heavy games I think is handled better versus Genshin where Paimon is talking for you most of the time.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Persona protagonists at least have dialogue options that allow you to shape their personality as you see fit. That should be the bare minimum when you make a silent protag. Voiced protagonists are better though, especially when it comes to scenes that are supposed to me emotional. Nothing says "emotional" like having Paimon's shrill voice talk for you.

Alkez

Oct 25, 2017

But even in that game you had frequent choices even if many of them weren't major and you at least had the impression that conversations were happening between Joker and other NPCs as Morgana who is the mascot equivalent can't even speak to most characters in the game outside the main party.

And the reason it miffs me so much is because of the other big game that Mihoyo has, that Genshin is based off of has an excellent main character, one who's journey and development is the biggest reason why so many are emotionally invested in the story.

I've been watching some Genshin streamers who started playing Honkai after hearing about it after playing Genshin and they all have the same reaction to the story and main character. People tearing up and crying at pivotal and climactic moments. Voice actors talking about how they can't finish recording for the upcoming cg animation because people need to take breaks so they can stop crying.

Wouldn't it be great if Genshin players could invest themselves into the story and main character to the same degree that Honkai players do with Honkai?

I'd love it, but at the current pace it doesn't look like it'll ever develop that way with them meaninglessly hamstringing the main character, the awkwardness of We Will Be Reunited's climactic moment showing the direct result of that and will likely be that way in the future unless things change.
I feel you. Like the only reason I knew what Genshin was before it released was because even though I don't play Honkai, I watch all the YouTube animations they do and ended up reading most of the lore (especially when HoS came out). The story can be quite conveluded, but I think it does a good job of making you care about the characters. For me it was Himiko, which is why HoF is seriously making me want to start playing (if I wasn't already playing 4 gachas I would, but I can't do another daily game). Considering I've never even played it, I think it's pretty impressive that it made me care about anyone. I seem to be one of the few that enjoys Genshin's story, but I don't really care about the characters in the same way.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel you. Like the only reason I knew what Genshin was before it released was because even though I don't play Honkai, I watch all the YouTube animations they do and ended up reading most of the lore (especially when HoS came out). The story can be quite conveluded, but I think it does a good job of making you care about the characters. For me it was Himiko, which is why HoF is seriously making me want to start playing (if I wasn't already playing 4 gachas I would, but I can't do another daily game). Considering I've never even played it, I think it's pretty impressive that it made me care about anyone. I seem to be one of the few that enjoys Genshin's story, but I don't really care about the characters in the same way.

How I started playing Honkai was through seeing the CG animations on youtube then spending hours reading lore and information on the wiki. I was engrossed in it all especially as I had never heard of it before stumbling on the animations that had been out for a while already.

It also helps that the character writing and relationships are good and that Kiana is my favourite type of protagonist.

That is one who goes through a tale of redemption, she starts out fairly inexperienced and ignorant, makes a big mistake and has to change and redeem herself as a person in order to continue on to right her wrongs and protect those she cares about. I think that journey alongside the other main characters is what has people so invested, and why people are so excited for the upcoming CG animation on the 9th that will be the culmination of that development and the end of Part 2 of the story.

That's why I disagree that a gacha game main character must be this inobtrusive background element. I think HI3rd completely disproves this notion and that the main character in a gacha can indeed be a vocal and central figure where their relationships and personal development are an integral theme of the main narrative.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of gacha games have main characters that have agency and a personality. I'd argue that a majority of them actually do. If they don't, there's usually a character who is the "lead" even if you yourself are just some nobody MC.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Dammit, I really hope they implement some form of cross account in the upcoming patch. I'm going to be traveling in october and it sounds like that's when the 1st anniversary event is going to be happening. noooooooooooo

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
the new dodoking tennis game feels like it came too late

we're doing inazuma stuff and here's more klee games

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
the new dodoking tennis game feels like it came too late

we're doing inazuma stuff and here's more klee games
I never really understood why Pong wasn't part of the other Dodoco/Harpastrum themed events, even having its own shop isn't really a reason either as there were two shops prior to that.

The whole event schedule felt extremely off. Feels like they could have done the Pong event first after the other Klee, and it would have worked out better because then Kazuha would have come out just in time for all of these boss fights that happen to have him as a character with bonus damage.

ChaosSaga

Oct 25, 2017
Around Hyrule
Just like when the Elder Geovisp droped... they had an excelent oportunity of doing some thing interesting:

Field Search -> New mob on world -> New Boss.

Instead they droped everything out of order without conection. Wasted oportunity, like this new event not being on Klee party.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Are most people playing on Genshin on mobile? I'm honestly shocked at how many co-op Kaboombal kombats end up with my partner having less than 10 returns and me pretty much picking up all the slack.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I hate it. It's such a bizarre choice to make the MC silent and have Paimon talk for them when the story is so deeply connected to the MC's journey. It might work if Paimon wasn't just a one-dimensional character who is only capable of being bubbly or sassy and nothing else, but she's too goofy for it to work. I absolutely cannot take any serious moments in Genshin seriously when Paimon blurts out in the middle of a conversation. Especially the reunion moment like you mentioned. What should be an emotional moment loses all impact. Even more baffling considering they have Aether and Lumine's VAs on the payroll (and even have voice lines already in the character pages), and even use Zack Aguilar for the livestreams. It would be such a huge boon to the story to let the MC speak in quests.

Mar-Mar

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Only after the big demographic shift post release Aether has risen sharply in popularity and Mihoyho committed to make him the canon protagonist and Lumine the canon antagonist, at least in promotion material (in game lore they are both canon for being the protagonist and antagonist). I do expect that to stay this way and them not starting to flip flop again. That would be highly inconsistent and confusing.
Highly inconsistent and confusing? The game features both as an option for the protagonist. The trailers would then be in line again with what the game has to offer. Confusing and inconsistent is when the trailers do one thing and the game does another, just as it is right now where people call Aether the canon protagonist because some ads from the company only show Aether during the past 9 months or so. And some people actually believe it and then people have discussions about something that doesn't need to be discussed.

People won't get confused because everyone knows there's a choice between the siblings and for those who don't it doesn't matter anyway because they haven't played the game and the characters don't mean much to them anyway. The only kind of people that feel confused by it are those that believe Aether is the actual canon protagonist, but it's finally time they wake up from their dream, so that's a good thing in my book.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Are most people playing on Genshin on mobile? I'm honestly shocked at how many co-op Kaboombal kombats end up with my partner having less than 10 returns and me pretty much picking up all the slack.

Funny you mention that, I'm going on vacation next week so I will be forced to play Genshin on my phone. It's going to be brutal. lol

All I'm going to do is this event and my commissions, though.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Highly inconsistent and confusing?

It's literally inconsistent and confusing to in your promo videos for almost a year now tell the story of Aether looking for Lumine as well as searching for the Seven and Lumine working with the Abyss and seeking to destroy the Seven, to then switch it completely around.

You seem to take the Aether or Lumine being the canon protagonist thing oddly personal. Why does it bother you who the protagonist is for different players?
The protagonist is who each player picks for themselves.
Who also says that the "antagonist" won't turn out to be the real protagonist? So far it seems like it is actually the sibling that you were looking for, who had to go through all this shit already, who has everything figured out and who knows what they have to do to save the word and to reunite with their sibling.

Having played Aether myself, Lumine so far came across way more awesome, lol.

Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally inconsistent and confusing to in your promo videos for almost a year now tell the story of Aether looking for Lumine as well as searching for the Seven and Lumine working with the Abyss and seeking to destroy the Seven, to then switch it completely around.

You seem to take the Aether or Lumine being the canon protagonist thing oddly personal. Why does it bother you who the protagonist is for different players?
The protagonist is who each player picks for themselves.
Who also says that the "antagonist" won't turn out to be the real protagonist? So far it seems like it is actually the sibling that you were looking for, who had to go through all this shit already, who has everything figured out and who knows what they have to do to save the word and to reunite with their sibling.
Eh, I personally didn't see their post as taking things personally, at least from my perspective since I myself see a lot of memes that reference some kind of fan arguments as to who the canon protagonist and the promotions and ads being part of that debate. I haven't seen said arguments myself, though, so it could be a meme that wildly stretches the truth.

I also am not sure why it is important for promo ads to be consistent in this regard either, considering it would actually be a bit more faithful in advertising the game by featuring the two playable characters you can be rather than just the one.

OP
OP
Tyaren

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I also am not sure why it is important for promo ads to be consistent in this regard either, considering it would actually be a bit more faithful in advertising the game by featuring the two playable characters you can be rather than just the one.

It's not important at all. I doubt the promo videos would be less popular. They would probably be even more popular had they Lumine in it. The most popular video on Genshin's Youtube channel, with over 26 million views, is the story video with Lumine being front and center...but as the antagonist.

That being said, I still find it dumb after nearly a year of telling a consistent story to switch the characters out.
Now I am really interested to find out if that leak/rumor is true.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Other gacha games can market their 2 PC genders interchangeably or simultaneously, it's not necessary to account for lore or story or whatever. This is a non-issue.

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
What is Kazuha best weapon for full support? Im currently running Favonious with all EM artifacts. Should I instead get iron sting?

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Battle pass still ends too early for me, wish it just kept going

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dammit, I literally just want an EM VV piece whatever the substat, and weeks of domain farming still hasn't given me shit.

GalaxyPixel

Jun 21, 2021
FInally got a good enough pc to play this. Previously played on ps4 on drop day. Got Venti , hoping to get Venti again!

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
I wish the game had a test dummy or something, I can't tell if there's any real difference between full EM support and anemo subDPS for Kazuha, my spiral abyss clear timings aren't really changing either way

although that's probably because the big thing in F12 is shieldbreaking and he's good at that no matter what build

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want to make Kazuha a mini-venti for sword users, whats a good team to put around him in that case?

Almost time to move on from Eula, her friendship level is almost maxed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.