• Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've had door transitions straight up freeze for a full couple of seconds. I think I'm gonna wait for game ready drivers.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
seems like gears 5 is a lot more demanding than gears 4, i am playing on a gtx 1050 laptop, and while the latter worked fine for me overall, this time all the textures look like PS1 era because they havent loaded... guess i wont play through it then.
screenshots for the first mission for laughs on my bad laptop:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

i actually had fun doing the first mission, but its painful to play through the game when it looks like all the time.

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
seems like gears 5 is a lot more demanding than gears 4, i am playing on a gtx 1050 laptop, and while the latter worked fine for me overall, this time all the textures look like PS1 era because they havent loaded... guess i wont play through it then.
screenshots for the first mission for laughs on my bad laptop:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

i actually had fun doing the first mission, but its painful to play through the game when it looks like all the time.

Is there a Tiled Resources option in Gears 5? Turning that off in Gears 4 helped fix the textures staying low resolution. It was never as bad as that though, does your laptop have graphics card switching? Could it be running on integrated graphics?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Is there a Tiled Resources option in Gears 5? Turning that off in Gears 4 helped fix the textures staying low resolution. It was never as bad as that though, does your laptop have graphics card switching? Could it be running on integrated graphics?
no, its running on the gtx card, it actually performed fine, only messed up the textures.

YonderOne

Nov 29, 2018
Perth, Australia
If I were a betting man, I'd put it more on 7.1 audio devices than Logitech devices. There's nothing special about their sound setup, the only real variable is the virtual sound uses an actual 7.1 audio input on the driver level. Has Coalition said anything about it on twitter or something? I sent them a report myself when the game initially launched but haven't heard back yet.

100% of the posts over on the Gears forums about dialogue being muffled have all been Logitech headsets/speakers, same deal with the subreddit. I believe it's due to something going on with the software Logitech uses, as not using it (i.e uninstalling it or changing drivers to a generic one and not Logitech signed) fixes the issue. So it's definitely a Logitech problem. TC have acknowledged there's a problem, but afaik they've just been directing people to their tech test document about changing the audio frequency from 44.1KHz to 48KHz.

Yeah, G500s. That sucks.

Uninstalling G Hub if you have it would probably fix it, unless you have other stuff hooked up to it then swapping the drivers to generic ones (through Device Manager) should work also.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
yea it worked fine for me in the technical test actually, idk why is it causing issues now.
I have the same problems with textures that you have, i tried everything and nothing worked, my last option was uninstall and reinstall, im doing it now, also theres no Solution for this problem on Reddit and steamforums but i've found people with the same problems, guess we arent lucky for someone to give a shit about this.
Btw i have an AMD card, seeing you have Nvidia this problem can affect anyone.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
THE PERFORMANCE FOR LOW-MID CARD RANGE FOR THIS GAME IS AMAZING

Look at this shit! The game looks better than the OG Xbox One, and runs at 60fps on my shitty 1050ti gaming laptop

PjOm9I5.png

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I have the same problems with textures that you have, i tried everything and nothing worked, my last option was uninstall and reinstall, im doing it now, also theres no Solution for this problem on Reddit and steamforums but i've found people with the same problems, guess we arent lucky for someone to give a shit about this.
Btw i have an AMD card, seeing you have Nvidia this problem can affect anyone.
sucks to hear that you suffer of the same issue, knowing how much you care about the franchise, what is your GPU? does it also have only 2GB VRAM? i assume that is the cause of the issue.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering the same thing. I'm using the Win Store version so is this one of those where you have to enable the OS HDR before launching the game?

edit: enabling HDR in Windows 10 (1903) has made a HDR option visible in the Video menu however if I enable it and say yes to save my settings, it just reverts to 'off'.

That happened to me- rebooting my machine fixed it and now HDR actually turns on when selected.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I'm seeing so many reports of stuttering and it makes me wonder why I'm not having any problems. Have the ultra hd textures installed as well and haven't had any stuttering issues. Hopefully the game drivers that come out on the 10th help out.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All settings maxed out at 1080p and the benchmark gives me an average of 101 fps. Not bad for a laptop.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a lot of mini freezes, like brief half second hitches. Any fixes yet?

2080 / 3700x.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Is the result screen in multiplayer bugged for someone else?
After a round of Versus, I get an error message, and do not get my points, just worked once today.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Ppl with 2080 running in 4k that's getting a lot of stutter, change the resolution scale to 89%. It eliminated most of the stuttering for me while keeping the game IQ as high as possible at all time. After watching the stats for a while, it looks like whenever there's a stutter the game spikes the vram usage to 6.5g which is over the available vram for 8 gigs gpu. (6.4g). Hope they can reduce or reallocate some of that to system memory in the future patch.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Digital Foundry just posted a video about the PC version:

They say the stutter is cause by having dynamic resolution on when the GPU is already being nearly fully utilized. So people who are getting stutter, try turning off dynamic res.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Uninstall ultra textures
Game is running silky smooth for me during gameplay, but I'm getting a lil freeze/stutter when the camera changes to a new angle during the cutscenes, would uninstalling the UHD textures help with that?

And if so do I really need to uninstall them, or changing them to High would suffice

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Game is running silky smooth for me during gameplay, but I'm getting a lil freeze/stutter when the camera changes to a new angle during the cutscenes, would uninstalling the UHD textures help with that?

And if so do I really need to uninstall them, or changing them to High would suffice

No, I have the same issue. Uninstalling ultra textures fixed the in game stutters but during transitions and cinematics, there is still considerable stuttering.

People have recommended capping cinematic frame rate to 30fps, try that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Check the comments above what DF said.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No, I have the same issue. Uninstalling ultra textures fixed the in game stutters but during transitions and cinematics, there is still considerable stuttering.

People have recommended capping cinematic frame rate to 30fps, try that.
Oh damn, going from watching them at 162fps to 30fps would be more painful than the angle change stutter to me haha. Hopefully a fix arrives soon with the nvidia driver or something. Thanks!

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen 2600 + GTX1070Ti and the game defaults everything To ultra. Whee.

On mobile atm. So probably asked a million times, but is there a way To display FPS?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I bought it. Wouldn't have happened without that Steam support so thanks, Phil!

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I have no performance issues at ultra settings, but then again I have a 2080ti and an older i7. I believe I consistently get around 130 FPS.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The stutter caused by Dynamic Res Scaling in the DF video is not the stutter or micro-freezes I get after playing for a couple of hours that gets fixed upon restarting the game (bad VRAM management ?).

I noticed this slight DRS stutter when applying Nvidia's filters in scenes where the game does not render at native resolution. Disabling the filter fixes it.

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
I have no performance issues at ultra settings, but then again I have a 2080ti and an older i7. I believe I consistently get around 130 FPS.

Ultra settings are not the issue, it is the ultra HD texture pack which is... the optional download.

Don't believe the DF video either as I never had dynamic on and I was stuttering until removing the texture pack.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I never used the Dynamic Scaling option so I don't think that's the root cause of the stuttering.

I'm using a RTX 2080 with 8 GB of VMem and 32 GB of system RAM. Uninstalling the enhanced textures removed the stuttering but I want to obviously use the texture pack so it be nice to find a solution. Seems I have plenty of VMem and system RAM.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I never used the Dynamic Scaling option so I don't think that's the root cause of the stuttering.

I'm using a RTX 2080 with 8 GB of VMem and 32 GB of system RAM. Uninstalling the enhanced textures removed the stuttering but I want to obviously use the texture pack so it be nice to find a solution. Seems I have plenty of VMem and system RAM.
My 2080 Ti has 11 GB of VRAM, I also have 16 GB of RAM.
When I start the game it uses 5 to 6 GB of VRAM, a bit more when I play a level in the campaign, but the more I play the more it stays near 10.6 GB of VRAM usage, then it starts to stutter either randomly or when loading new areas, but mostly in cutscenes.

If I restart the game and replay the exact same area and cutscene that stuttered, it's perfect and VRAM is not full yet.

So I guess the game badly manages the VRAM in some ways.

And as the Ultra texture pack would use more VRAM, I guess disabling it is a solution, but I don't want to.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I've had dynamic res turned off since I started the game so I'm pretty sure that's not what's causing the stuttering on my end.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Where exactly is the dynamic scaling/resolution option? I don't see it in the video settings.

The dynamic resolution scaling comes from the minimum framerate setting. If you set it to 60fps then dynamic resolution scaling kicks in whenever it drops below 60 in order to maintain that minimum framerate. It's an awesome setting aside from the stuttering problems it's been causing for some people.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They need to look into the vram management issue, stuttering definitely has something to do with vram. It spikes up so quick and hard to read when the game is stuttering but I managed to see it a few time where its uses 6. 5 gigs of vram where there is only 6.4 gigs available for 2080. Lowering rendering res to 89% solves it in gameplay but still stuttering when loading some cut scenes probably due to loading ultra texture and loading into some new area.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The dynamic resolution scaling comes from the minimum framerate setting. If you set it to 60fps then dynamic resolution scaling kicks in whenever it drops below 60 in order to maintain that minimum framerate. It's an awesome setting aside from the stuttering problems it's been causing for some people.

Well that did it. Cinematic stuttering gone by removing the minimum frame rate cap (which was set to 60).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
sucks to hear that you suffer of the same issue, knowing how much you care about the franchise, what is your GPU? does it also have only 2GB VRAM? i assume that is the cause of the issue.
I had the same problem with Gears 4 when I still had a 780, which is only a 3gb GPU so my guess is it's the GPU running out of vram for the game. Lowering texture quality in that game to medium helped it somewhat, but then I end up with general texture quality that looked worse than the game running on the og xbox one lol

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I had the same problem with Gears 4 when I still had a 780, which is only a 3gb GPU so my guess is it's the GPU running out of vram for the game. Lowering texture quality in that game to medium helped it somewhat, but then I end up with general texture quality that looked worse than the game running on the og xbox one lol
This is weird because i played Gears 4 a few months ago with my 2GB VRAM gtx 1050, and outside of cutscene stutter it was fine. textures were largely a non issue. this time it feels like the game requires more VRAM than before.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry just posted a video about the PC version:

They say the stutter is cause by having dynamic resolution on when the GPU is already being nearly fully utilized. So people who are getting stutter, try turning off dynamic res.

Seems random to me. I had slight stutters running all max settings + the texture pack at 3440x1440 with no dynamic res enabled. I then moved to my 4k tv to get hdr and had to engage dynamic res to use 3840x2160 and still keep the framerate at 60. No stutters now, still with all settings maxed (including those insane settings). This is on a 1080 Ti, 3700x and 32GB ram so the stutters shouldn't be ram or vram related. Gamepass version.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
yea it worked fine for me in the technical test actually, idk why is it causing issues now.

Might wanna wait for Nvidia to release Game Ready drivers next week and see if that helps any. As a last resort.

Well that did it. Cinematic stuttering gone by removing the minimum frame rate cap (which was set to 60).

According to DF, it seems that the dynamic res scaling has problems. The Coalition is apparently looking into it.