• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should have been clearer...

I was robbed last fall and still haven't replaced my Xbox One that was stolen. Hearing that player Match is effectively back makes me want to jump back into Gears ASAP
Damn that sucks. I think I remember hearing that from the Destiny ERA circles too. I had my Xbone stolen once as well.

But I was just asking why you like the server lobby/host system so much? Because that was probably my #1 gripe with Gears 1

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I didn't play Gears 4 much. Are you talking energy deposits into the fabricator? As far as I can tell it's only manual. I felt bad after a few rounds having 10k energy I wasn't using, so I went and deposited it all at once lol.

Also, I've yet to get past round 20 or so without my team slowly all quitting out. Does anyone hang out for the end? Or do they just play harder difficulties? I was on intermediate and it was a bit easy.
Thankfully they have a server browser now so you can get backfills finally.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I'm seeing people talk about Horde games falling apart after 20-30 waves and all I can think is fucking HELL is there STILL not a matchmaking option to join a game in progress or at least round out the quitters with AI teammates?

God damn.
There is for both points, you can backfill through a server browser and the AI teammates aren't too shabby.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Damn that sucks. I think I remember hearing that from the Destiny ERA circles too. I had my Xbone stolen once as well.

But I was just asking why you like the server lobby/host system so much? Because that was probably my #1 gripe with Gears 1

Just like the fluidity of keeping things going. Hate having to go back into lobbies and wait for matchmaking. Kills the mood and hype.

Player Match was a riot back in 2006/2007.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished act 2. Speechless.
Finally am out of the snow. ( I hate snow in general) :D

Hello Desert!

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
is the exploration rewarded enough? secret weapons? side-boss fights? noticeable power up for the protagonist?

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this is really disappointing. That was Gears identity for me. And then these modes also removed the gnasher from being a secondary weapon too. Just feels like they changed the core essence of gears and didn't really add anything substantial to replace it with. This is bumming me out (in addition to not being able to get into any lobby outside of arcade)
The custom servers will bring back Gears 1/2 vibes you miss.

I haven't played gears yet but I'm assuming it's like Gears 1 with lobbies and custom settings

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Am I crazy that I'm seeing some (extremely minor) hitches or frame drops in campaign? I'm on an Xbox one X and 4k, they claim 60 but I've seen a couple drops in the open world sections and in a side area when some enemies spawned.

Not complaining in the least! Just wanted to hear others experiences. It's a gorgeous game overall and still runs very well. The sound design is also excellent and deserves mentioning.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We cant even finish the first act due to disconnects. I'm incredibly happy this is on gamepass cause I'd be more pissed if I dropped actual money on this.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Got a question about the skiff section in Act 2 (now at 2.4)

Can you miss Jack upgrades? I came through the first gate but didn't find anything in the section before. There was a cave afterwards that started a sidequest and some small collectibles, then I reached the refugee camp with another quest and the story continued. I'm now out of the lab and back in the wild. But I can't go back to the very first section, right? Will I lock myself out from anything in the coming sections?

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't connect to any multiplayer matches. The lobby disconnects before a game starts and it is pretty much endless searching for a game and then it shitting the bed before the game can start.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is the exploration rewarded enough? secret weapons? side-boss fights? noticeable power up for the protagonist?

All of the above.

You find components for jack which are the upgrade currency. The actual character does not have any RPG elements. Only Jack does.

The side quests I believe are for gathering components to enhance jacks ability. I'm currently on the hunt for parts which would allow me to freeze flashed targets. Usually each of these areas includes a boss fight. I've fought a carrier in a small space and a foggy area with a warden and swarm snipers.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
For the people that finished act 2

That moment when Del needs to shoot that fuel thing on the ice and he is so confident its not dangerous be keeps backing up while aiming. Loved my ass off haha

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
All of the above.

You find components for jack which are the upgrade currency. The actual character does not have any RPG elements. Only Jack does.

The side quests I believe are for gathering components to enhance jacks ability. I'm currently on the hunt for parts which would allow me to freeze flashed targets. Usually each of these areas includes a boss fight. I've fought a carrier in a small space and a foggy area with a warden and swarm snipers.
so i can find exclusive weapon and secret boss? great.
some reviews are not very clear about this.

are the upgrade on jack very noticeable during combat?

thanks.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Ugh, the boss battle at the end of act 2 is frustrating as fuck. What the hell...

I knowing shooting glowing spots for massive damage is a series staple, but that Berserker fight was one of the worst I've encountered in all six Gears games. What the hell were they thinking with that one...it wouldn't even be that bad if the fucker didn't defreeze in just a couple of seconds.

And Del/Dave? Fucking Del & Dave are absolutely useless during the fight.

AHHHHHHHHHH

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

I get what they were going for, but they need to make the characters and controls a lot more responsive if they plan to have similar enemies going forward.

Cool that Niles showed up though.

Few other notes,
The cutscenes look stunning, I love when it zooms on Kait's face. You can see the raw emotion of what she's going through, they really nailed the micro expressions that sell her emotional state.

I love the Skiff. I really really love the Skiff. Please give us some Skiff based DLC. PLEASE.

Yea
It definitely feels underpowered. Idk what to do to git gud at this game.

You not gonna git gud in a few hours. Practice more. Hip shots is the way to go with the shotty.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
At the end of Act 2...SO GOOD, they are clearly doing some serious world building in preparation for future games. It's on track to be my favorite campaign yet

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so i can find exclusive weapon and secret boss? great.
some reviews are not very clear about this.

are the upgrade on jack very noticeable during combat?

thanks.
I think the end upgrades are. They take quite a bit of components. Otherwise its like, more health, more stealth, faster, longer etc.

But a freeze during flash would def be nice. The abilities are big game changers in fights. Oh shit this guy is about to hit me *HIT STIM*

I think its better in co-op since someone can actually control him freely.

Also I forgot to mention, there are Relic Weapons to find. The ones I know of are
1.An enforcer that fires slower but higher caliber rounds
2. A sniper that on active reload allows you to have 2 bullets per mag.
3. A "gunslinger" boltock designed for fast hip fire.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I think the end upgrades are. They take quite a bit of components. Otherwise its like, more health, more stealth, faster, longer etc.

But a freeze during flash would def be nice. The abilities are big game changers in fights. Oh shit this guy is about to hit me *HIT STIM*

I think its better in co-op since someone can actually control him freely.

Also I forgot to mention, there are Relic Weapons to find. The ones I know of are
1.An enforcer that fires slower but higher caliber rounds
2. A sniper that on active reload allows you to have 2 bullets per mag.
3. A "gunslinger" boltock designed for fast hip fire.
sound good, thanks.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The relic Longshot is like... Why, COG, why would you not have an (semi-)auto sniper rifle? That shit is ace.

I really like Jack's abilities as a SP player, and I really like playing as Jack in Horde. I think without Jack I'd find everything a little less interesting.

Stim is great for clutch moments. Pop, roll, stab stab stab triple damage boom. I do wish the melee had some extra depth though. I read you can combo, of sorts, and I have executed enemies in toe to toe fights, but not really been sure how (they weren't stunned with Jack, or with a cover grab). A little more clarity and/or options in melee would be really cool.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Gears 5 is the best looking console game released so far. It's sort of incredible that a game can look this much better than 4 from the same devs.

I'm at work thinking about playing the game when I get home. That hasn't happened in a really long time lol.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
PC gamers, are you all playing with mouse/KB or with a controller? Playing with a mouse/kb right now, but curious what others are using.

Controller. cant go back after 12+ years of muscle memory. many others have mirrored my thoughts that the CQC/Gnasher play is more attuned to a controller.

I should have been clearer...

I was robbed last fall and still haven't replaced my Xbox One that was stolen. Hearing that player Match is effectively back makes me want to jump back into Gears ASAP

the Gears1 Server Browser is where many people found their friends on XBL including myself(and experienced the ridiculous mid-match trash talk). I think it's a great addition that can really help fill spots that would otherwise be a 4v4 Private lobby in Gears 4.

the Custom Match feature also has the ability to include five Gears 4 maps too(12 total)
  • Dam
  • Forge Blitz
  • Foundation
  • Harbor
  • Reclaimed

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Since I'm about to start and I tried to avoid any spoiler: about the exploration and relic weapons etc. Are those missable or can you get to them in later acts through the hub world?

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To anyone who has found Jack's 3rd support module, I have a question.

The squad cloak upgrade. The second upgrade for that mod says it extends the duration, so do knife kills stay cloaked? The final one mentions shooting so I assume that's how the first one works.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that campaign was great. Definitely one of the best of the generation, that last act was a roller coaster ride.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To anyone who has found Jack's 3rd support module, I have a question.

The squad cloak upgrade. The second upgrade for that mod says it extends the duration, so do knife kills stay cloaked? The final one mentions shooting so I assume that's how the first one works.

Indeed, there is even an achievement for getting 3 stealth kills without decloaking

Jan 2, 2018
So..sorry if this is not the place to ask:
Earlier this week,I pre-ordered Gears 5 from CDKEYS and now I'm waiting for my code.
In the meantime,If I go for the Gameapass Ultimate 1 month for early access deal while steel waiting for next week get my code,will I still be able to add the game to my library permanently,or does my Gamepass subscription will prevent it? I do have to say,I have no use for GamePass and do not plan to keep the subscription active as I have a huge backlog already,but I literally can't wait anymore to play the campaign..

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
servers still fucked up or will I be able to play co op campaign tonight?

We tried last night and got DCed every few minutes. got fed up and went to bed