RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I played an Execution earlier. It was in quickplay social (iirc). Round based, Gnasher wielding, all the old Gears.

Lol, I was thinking the same during multiple parts of this.

Hah, it's a thing soooo many games struggle with. One day someone will fix it and it'll be great.

I have made an Escape map. It's probably tuned way too hard, need to test it.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So where's the depth in Horde? I played a few rounds and figured out how to upgrade the 5 or so pieces of defense equipment and spend power on the 4 perks, is that it? Will leveling up my character bring some cool changes?

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
So far, I don't think this problem is as big as it was for MCC, but the server issues were constant during the "beta" and I was only able to get into a couple games last night.

I think it's worse IMO; I could at least play co-op campaign on launch night with the MCC. I just feel bad for my buddy, he rescheduled with work for this shit. Hopefully they get it sorted before the weekend is over

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played about five games of multi-player between arcade, normal, and horde. There are other maps aside from asylum right? I've gotten that map every time lol.

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit this is really disappointing. That was Gears identity for me. And then these modes also removed the gnasher from being a secondary weapon too. Just feels like they changed the core essence of gears and didn't really add anything substantial to replace it with. This is bumming me out (in addition to not being able to get into any lobby outside of arcade)

I could be wrong, but I thought that there were some ranked modes that kept gnasher as the secondary weapon.

I'm under no delusions that I'm a good Gears player, so as long as I can get into private servers that feature those two game types I'm probably fine. However, I agree that it would be nice for them to include those two mainstays as options in the normal playlists. I don't know what feedback they thought they were listening to, that told them to exclude those two modes. For a significant number of us, those two modes have always been the most enjoyable part of Gears.

Hopefully they listen to feedback, and decide to bring them back at a later date.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for this. I'll only be touching the campaign but it looks like that is still more than enough content. I'm almost done with my first run through of Gears 4 and enjoying it a lot. Looks beautiful.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
Think I'm going to leave this for a few days until some of the server issues get ironed out, super stressful not getting into any matches at all and then getting shoved into servers where my ping is 100+. Turns out ping is incredibly important for winning shotgun fights, constantly being killed by people who are still behind walls on my screen.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
So where's the depth in Horde? I played a few rounds and figured out how to upgrade the 5 or so pieces of defense equipment and spend power on the 4 perks, is that it? Will leveling up my character bring some cool changes?

Higher difficulties bringing more challenge + higher character levels bringing more perks. It's deeper than previous Hordes, but mostly that comes from teamwork under pressure. I really like playing Jack, totally new way to do everything and support is sooooo useful.

Oct 28, 2017
GEARS 5 FINAL BOSS AND ENDING!

I really hate youtube. Probably only a matter of time before I see a plot spoiler in the title of a video on the front page.

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't it just default to the xbox settings? e.g. if you've picked french you get french?

I know there was a push from people for awhile to separate it a little bit as they might have been in Germany but wanted english VA...or vice versa...but that was all done and fixed at the xbox level...

I *think* it was fixed anyway - people have stopped asking for the option.

Yes at the console level you can change the language. But it changes everything, the menu, the subtitles and the audio.
Most games have an option in the game to change the language of the audio, menu and subtitles separately.

If I put my console in English and someone who is not fluent in English is watching me play they can't understand the story...
Plus, if my girlfriend who doesn't speak english wants to play a game she has to change the system language, restart etc... And then I have to do the same. Such a hassle...

The acting and writing are so much better in english than in french in this game, it's a shame that there isn't such a basic option...

Dec 25, 2018
had some issues connecting to a lobby initially for almost 5 min, but eventually managed to get a few rounds of deathmatch and ranked KoTH in, enjoying the multi so far. gonna wait till tomorrow to dive into campaign when I'm not as busy with other stuff.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Tried to play a single round of escape with different groups in the last 60 minutes, no luck, stuck in loading screen.

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's worse IMO; I could at least play co-op campaign on launch night with the MCC. I just feel bad for my buddy, he rescheduled with work for this shit. Hopefully they get it sorted before the weekend is over

Right, I mean this is where I feel like Microsoft needs to do a better job of being transparent. At some point they are going to start losing customers because we're tired of launches being this atrocious, and we're tired of Microsoft minimizing the significant issues that users are experiencing.

Undoubtedly, a number of you will say. "Launches are always like this, never reschedule work to play a game at launch." But this game had a multiple week long public "beta" to iron out server issues, not to mention this game is fairly late in the Xbox One cycle and you'd think Microsoft would have their act together regarding server allocation for once.

As a 30+ year old gamer, I can tell you that this phenomenon of multiplayer titles having these sorts of issues (at least to this extent) is a relatively new phenomenon, and something that I have experienced more on the Xbox One console more than any prior generation of console or PC games. I enjoy Microsoft first party games, I really do, but at some point Microsoft needs to get their act together, and we need to stop apologizing for their corporate doublespeak.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
How long does the campaign take to load on Act1? It's been on the loading screen for several minutes. I quit and reloaded and it's just loading for ages with the tips and spinning cog.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
Just got booted from a Horse match while it was validating the match, and now we got kicked out of campaign before we could hit a checkpoint. lmaooo fuck this game

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes at the console level you can change the language. But it changes everything, the menu, the subtitles and the audio.
Most games have an option in the game to change the language of the audio, menu and subtitles separately.

If I put my console in English and someone who is not fluent in English is watching me play they can't understand the story...
Plus, if my girlfriend who doesn't speak english wants to play a game she has to change the system language, restart etc... And then I have to do the same. Such a hassle...

The acting and writing are so much better in english than in french in this game, it's a shame that there isn't such a basic option...
Ah!! I see - sounds like they haven't "fixed" it then - I think people were asking for the audio track selection to be de-coupled from menus etc.

Sorry :-(

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
To suggest that only a "small percentage" of users are having a problem is super patronizing. Especially when you look in threads like this and see how widespread these issues are.
Well to be fair, even hundreds of forum posts like this when hundreds of thousands people are playing the game actually is "reports from a small percentage of users".

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played the campaign for a couple of hours last night and have some thoughts:

It took more willpower than I'd like to admit in order to get my ass into work today.
I really wanted to just take the day to play Gears. I like the campaign so far. It plays well and the weapons are fun. I like getting the choice between which kinds of reinforcements get called in at times.

I am a little annoyed at the writing. Not that its bad, but it feels forced as somebody who has paid close attention to the character development in every game. JD was written a certain way in Gears 4 and I feel they are trying to retcon that this time in order to serve the story. I'm kind of annoyed by that. Doesn't feel authentic to his character. They also took the comic relief guy from Gears 4 and turned him into a serious character from the looks of it so far. That's also kind of bullshit, IMO. I won't say who as I don't wanna spoil anything but I think fans probably know who I am referring to.

But I don't know how much time is supposed to have passed from the last game to this one as they haven't made that clear yet. I guess there's room for people to have changed but I dunno. Still don't love those decisions.

But hey my boy Clayton Carmine is back and I was really happy to see him! Can't wait to get back into the game again later today. Also dying to try out Horde mode but I feel like if I don't play the campaign I might have things spoiled for me, so that's gotta take priority.

darknil

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I played Gears 2 back in the day and I have some kind of memories of what happened on that game. I know the original was a trilogy and the story picked up again on 4. I've been looking for a campaign and this being on gamepass just facilitates stuff.

Should I play 4? Do I need to watch a story video before? Gears 5 campaign is being well received and want to play it, but not really sure if this a good entry point for someone who just played a campaign almost 15 years ago lol

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Just on Xbox. Played the tutorial fine but it's just stuck on the load screen for Act 1 spinning and playing the music.
I had this last night but I am on PC. It is failing to connect to the servers you have to disconnect from internet and start the game offline to get it to start normally. Kinda crappy how it works but that's how I was able to start playing last night.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so I played Gears 2 back in the day and I have some kind of memories of what happened on that game. I know the original was a trilogy and the story picked up again on 4. I've been looking for a campaign and this being on gamepass just facilitates stuff.

Should I play 4? Do I need to watch a story video before? Gears 5 campaign is being well received and want to play it, but not really sure if this a good entry point for someone who just played a campaign almost 15 years ago lol
4 is a great game you should play it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna have to get away from this game.

Was excited to try and spend my Friday playing this. It just doesn't work. Fuck this is frustrating.

You have been removed from the game
You have been kicked from the game
You suck

Oct 29, 2017
Well to be fair, even hundreds of forum posts like this when hundreds of thousands people are playing the game actually is "reports from a small percentage of users".

I understand what you're saying, but it's pretty clear that the issues people are experiencing are occurring on Microsoft's end. This is not like some user related NAT issue, or something related to the DNS. It's very obvious that this is a problem with roots in the software itself and the way it interfaces with their azure servers. It's also really weird that this is becoming a consistent theme across all Microsoft One first party titles. At this point in the Xbox One lifecycle, you'd think Microsoft would be prepared for some of the Azure issues that they first experienced with the MCC launch way back in 2014.

Quite honestly I just have a hard time believing that there is some magical subset of users for whom the game is running perfectly for. Yes, I think most people have had the opportunity to get in at least one match, but just because a percentage of users is able to get into a match some percentage of time, doesn't mean that this issue is only limited to a certain percentage of users. It means that there are underlying issues affecting all users, that are preventing users from utilizing all of the game's features/playlists/modes.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this is really disappointing. That was Gears identity for me. And then these modes also removed the gnasher from being a secondary weapon too. Just feels like they changed the core essence of gears and didn't really add anything substantial to replace it with. This is bumming me out (in addition to not being able to get into any lobby outside of arcade)

They basically said Execution and Warzone has very low populations, so they took them out of the ranked playlist. They are listening tho so if fans demand it, things could change.

The game does have a custom server browser list and has quick play modes where execution does come up I believe.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Of course the new "Get Sweaty" cosmetic pack (which has phenomenal looking skins inside, in comparison to the garbage that you can unlock in the 70€ full price game🙄) costs 2500 iron.

Which is pretty pricey, just like in all the other games with basically the same looking cosmetic stores, but how can you buy these 2500 iron?

You can't, the biggest pack that comes close to it has 2250 inside.

Fuck you Coalition, just Fuck off for that bullshit.
No one of these "we're so fair and nice" pretending devs will ever try to make a real difference with microtransactions, not one of them. I would buy a lot more (cause I love cosmetics in games) if just one of them at least try to respect me as a player and customer and not constantly pushes their middle fingers right into my face.

Wasn't the news about microtransactions before the release even about "we have direct purchases"? My f'n ass.
Eh. I'm not that worried about it. If you're dropping that much money on this game, I assume you're gonna be playing the game. You can make the difference in that iron up through the tour of duty. Not minimizing that it sucks, but.. there's nothing preventing you from just spending a bit more money or a bit more time on top of that bundle to get to the total you want. And, if I'm not mistaken.. this counts as a direct purchase, does it not? It's not a lootbox, you know what you're getting.

I wish Microsoft would start adopting a more authentic interaction with their audience. Ever since the original release of the Master Chief Collection this is how Microsoft continues to interact with their customers and it's really frustrating. People constantly feel like their problems are being minimized, all because Microsoft wants to be able to say that their game is working fine.

So far, I don't think this problem is as big as it was for MCC, but the server issues were constant during the "beta" and I was only able to get into a couple games last night. To suggest that only a "small percentage" of users are having a problem is super patronizing. Especially when you look in threads like this and see how widespread these issues are.
Well the server issues have been bad.. but also, they've been working on it for the entire day and night. The question is whether the remaining server instability is still affecting large proportions of people (and also, if it's linked to lowered population overnight, that will now get bad again). I personally am willing to give the benefit of the doubt in their wording lol. I'm much more concerned that they fix it. It's gotten better, clearly, so let's see where it is in an hour or two. If the server issues persist and don't get any better through the day, then I will be just as disappointed as everyone else.

As for your other stuff, I really don't think the issues that plagued this game is related to MCC. You speak like the causes are super obvious, but they're not XD (though, indeed, MS games have not done well with servers around launch). And, there are plenty of people on this very forum for whom the game is "working perfectly" lol. It's not a mythical tiny unicorn subset of people :/

Oct 29, 2017
As for your other stuff, I really don't think the issues that plagued this game is related to MCC. You speak like the causes are super obvious, but they're not XD (though, indeed, MS games have not done well with servers around launch). And, there are plenty of people on this very forum for whom the game is "working perfectly" lol. It's not a mythical tiny unicorn subset of people :/

I'm not saying the causes are super obvious. I'm just saying that it's clear that these issues are not affecting a small number of users. There is no way that's true. This is not a user related issue, this is something on their end. I only bring up MCC because these frustrating launches of Microsoft first party titles are becoming a theme.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who has gamepass and plays on PC but gets an error whenever he tried downloading the game. He's chatted with two live support agents that haven't been able to figure out the issue. Anyone run into this? He's tried the MS Store and the Xbox (beta) app.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Damn son, finished Act 1 last night. This is real step up in terms of world building and story telling. Good stuff.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is the best Gears ever. Might be my GOTY and I've not even finished it yet lol

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
JD looks like Alex from Digital Foundry and Baird somehow aged into Bill Goldberg. Completed the first Chapter and am enjoying it so far.

Oct 29, 2017
Damn son, finished Act 1 last night. This is real step up in terms of world building and story telling. Good stuff.

I have only played the first 5 minutes or so last night, but already I can tell that this is going to be a much better campaign than Gears 4. I really appreciate how they drop you right into the action (quite literally). Really loved the sequence in the dark tunnel (with only a flashlight) and the Juvies running at you. I also think Microsoft knocked the sound design out of the park in that regard (especially with a headset + dolby atmos). The sound the Juvies make while running at you in that tunnel is super exhilarating.

Haven't played the rest yet because I am waiting for a friend on PC to do co-op with, but so far I'm enjoying this more than Gears 4. The problem with Gears 4 was that there was too much Deebee stuff, and it took way too long to build up to the action.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This is some server-related issue.

For some stupid reason it keeps trying to connect you to the servers even in single player. I had the same issue, so I disconnected my router, got a "Disconnected from server" message and it loaded just fine offline.

Yeah standard thing of modern gaming. If single player is somehow not working, go offline. Bingo. Especially as there are server issues atm.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone get the high resolution textures to download on PC? The download starts, then immediately stops.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Question: I didn't beat gears 4 and really don't remember that well but was there a mention of humans not being fertile anymore or will I learn more about it in this. Love gears lore and really wish I would have gotten more into 4 but Overwatch was out and amazing 😂