• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
not really disappointing because you're right, PC players have learned not to expect these features at this point. MCC on xbox also has HDR, but there is no HDR on PC.

microsoft continues to claim PC is an important ecosystem and that they haven't forgotten PC. so far it's only talk, because they put features like splitscreen and HDR on xbox but not on PC. if they are really committed to PC as a platform then they wouldn't do such things. all it does is leave PC players feeling shafted.

Eh, If we're being real we can also admit the amount of people that use splitscreen on PC is a fraction of a fraction.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
20€ for 3 hours of story content is too expensive. Raam's Shadow was 10€.

Looks really good though.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this release/patch irons out the minor performance issues I've seen on Gears5 - random drops in FPS in certain inbetween scenes of main points. Would be aces if so!

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, If we're being real we can also admit the amount of people that use splitscreen on PC is a fraction of a fraction.

if they're developing the feature for one platform they can do it for the other, given that both are so similar these days. it's a matter of resource allocation, and the people using splitscreen on xbox are definitely greater than the people who use it on PC.

but it's a chicken and egg problem. they refuse to support it even in their flagship titles, so how can it gain any traction in the first place?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
BossySneakyHuman-size_restricted.gif

Brighter and more vivid colours suit Gears so much better. Just gorgeous man!

romey

Mar 2, 2020
What if I own the game but not via Gamepass, but have a Gamepass membership. Will I have to download the Gamepass version to play this? Hopefully that makes sense.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
if they're developing the feature for one platform they can do it for the other, given that both are so similar these days. it's a matter of resource allocation, and the people using splitscreen on xbox are definitely greater than the people who use it on PC.

but it's a chicken and egg problem. they refuse to support it even in their flagship titles, so how can it gain any traction in the first place?

The thing is on PC people traditionally just use multiple PCs, so you don't have to share the same screen and it's also not as suited to mouse & keyboard.

It wouldn't hurt to have it but It'll most likely always be a small niche that uses it.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is on PC people traditionally just use multiple PCs, so you don't have to share the same screen and it's also not as suited to mouse & keyboard.

It wouldn't hurt to have it but It'll most likely always be a small niche that uses it.

the fraction of PC users who game in 4K is also small (2.25% from the november steam game survey; just about 2/3 of players surveyed play at 1920x1080) but microsoft would be shit on if they, for some reason, supported 4K on xbox, but not on PC. if they support niche features like splitscreen or HDR on one platform they should support it on the other, not half-assed like the way gears 5 has done it.

however, with the way PC games are these days, i should be thankful there is any splitscreen at all in gears 5 PC.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
the fraction of PC users who game in 4K is also small (2.25% from the november steam game survey; just about 2/3 of players surveyed play at 1920x1080) but microsoft would be shit on if they, for some reason, supported 4K on xbox, but not on PC. if they support niche features like splitscreen or HDR on one platform they should support it on the other, not half-assed like the way gears 5 has done it.

however, with the way PC games are these days, i should be thankful there is any splitscreen at all in gears 5 PC.

Yeah, but A) even that is most likely still several times the amount of people using splitscreen on PC and B) 4K is a futureproofing thing everyone will use eventually, whereas the splitscreen audience will probably stay what it is regardless.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
What if I own the game but not via Gamepass, but have a Gamepass membership. Will I have to download the Gamepass version to play this? Hopefully that makes sense.
There is no such thing as a "Game Pass version" of a game. It's the same thing, except you don't have access to it anymore once your sub expires.

If you only have a Game Pass subscription, you will have to buy the DLC.

If you have a Game Pass Ultimate sub, you get it for free.

Hope this helped!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft includes more DLC/expansions with Ultimate subs that would be amazing.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
If you have GPU and have your bought version of Gears 5 on your console, you're all set.

It seems so.
There is no such thing as a "Game Pass version" of a game. It's the same thing, except you don't have access to it anymore once your sub expires.

If you only have a Game Pass subscription, you will have to buy the DLC.

If you have a Game Pass Ultimate sub, you get it for free.

Hope this helped!

Thank you.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but I mean people said the same thing about Halo on Xbox, but that didn't stop Halo 5's lack of split screen from being a thorn in the side for many longtime fans. Halo is Halo and the ability to even play in split screen was always a big contributor to Halo's appeal, accessibility to new players/roomies and family units, and nostalgia.

With the games being on game pass, LAN/Online co op is easier to set up than ever, but split screen means you can always get +1 to +3 more players gaming on your setup with little to no prep time. Nice little feature to have if nothing else.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I mean people said the same thing about Halo on Xbox, but that didn't stop Halo 5's lack of split screen from being a thorn in the side for many longtime fans. Halo is Halo and the ability to even play in split screen was always a big contributor to Halo's appeal, accessibility to new players/roomies and family units, and nostalgia.

With the games being on game pass, LAN/Online co op is easier to set up than ever, but split screen means you can always get +1 to +3 more players gaming on your setup with little to no prep time. Nice little feature to have if nothing else.

I agree it's a neat little feature, I just thought agueing that MS isn't serious about PC support this time because of that is a touch dramatic given how shit their previous attempts were comparitvely.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Seems to be a pretty big sign that this is something Microsoft will pursue with going forward. As an Ultimate subscriber, I am all for it.

Really looking forward for the new business / consumption model that we are going to have on XGP.

Densify lore & characters over 3-4 hour extensions experiences.

For action adventure games it's perfect

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Great that their doing single-player DLC. Looking forward to coop play, with crossplay I presume.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
No but it says works with Gears 5 so I fear we will need to re install Gears 5 from Gamepass if we uninstalled it... oh well,might do it overnight.
Yeah, I'm certain the base game is required for this expansion. Downloading 75gb on a standard connection isn't ideal, I'm stuck with mobile internet for the time being.
I would be very surprised to see it being standalone. This is a hook to get you (back) into the other Gears 5 content and if they allow you to complete it standalone, they're kinda letting you off the hook :)
You make a good point. I'll play some MP after completing the expansion so mission accomplished I guess.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
The wording in the blog post is telling. Fingers crossed:
AEILijL.png
I hope that DLC will be either included in GPU or at least be something that is given out as part of their perk system.

Like cmon, I don't give a crap about some F2P currency, or a free trial of some streaming service, give us some DLC.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great! Hopefully the volcanic island setting has echoes of Gears 3--that game was gorgeous (and still is, actually, after a series replay last year).

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm a Gears fan and like Gears 5, but man looking at this trailer makes me wish The Coalition made games other than Gears. Look at how good it looks!

Imagine what they could make if they were able to craft their own IP From scratch.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if this will have open world sections like Gears 5? Those part absolutely killed the game's momentum for me.

Deleted member 59

Only just finished Gears 5 on my XSX via gamepass and i was gonna put cash down for this dlc day 1. Hearing is also on gamepass just makes me happy to be subbed to the best value gaming service around.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Went back and watch the vid again. I think I'm more impressed with the different body types more than anything. Every dude doesn't look like a damn football player and the females look good AF too.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
So i'm a GamePass Ultimate member. Will I be able to play this through Steam or do I have to reinstall the whole game on the Xbox App to get access?