• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
godofwar_201804220039pbs7l.png

Clearly SSS I'm observing, especially activated on his left arm. Can't wait for photomode to happen !

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure what part of the deformation has a screen space component (if at all), but that is gonna be a problem in most games. hit boxes are good, but not perfectly aligned always.
Additionally due to the way camera is set up in GoW it's really hard to see the point of contact between feet and surface, unlike Horizon/RoTR where the camera is pulled back allowing full view of the character.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I will take the game probably tomorrow. It looks good seeing the image and as good as other big PS4 games...

EDIT: I tried a little Detroit demo before going to job this morning, the game looks fucking good...

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, video options, you can disable it, with the moblur too.

Is no film grain the default setting? Because I never changed it and I don't have ever noticed film grain. And I would notice, because I hate film grain, lol.

Some more early gameplay shots.The game by the way has absolutely gorgeous lighting (most of the time):

41515944542_e5d3a38d36_o.png

27686696478_9d0e5cfd58_o.png

40704268675_b2de0da45b_o.png

40663958165_b6d972a6d6_o.png

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The snow in ROTR and Horizon actually look like snow. The snow in GOW lacks sub surface scattering, translucency, Fresnel and glitter reflection.

Its not even comparable.

You're not wrong in any of your comments towards GoW, but ROTR's snow hardly looks real. The simple way that it deforms makes it looks more like play dough. All these games have a loooong way to go before getting realistic looking snow. GoW's is hardly behind the curve.

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
Nothing in gaming is approaching that level of snow simulation. Snow deformation is a very crude approximation of the complexity of physics as it pertains to snow.

I mean no disrespect, but I think it is time that I resign myself from this thread, as it is clear that the discourse here is rudimentary and it is nearly impossible to level with some posters here when trying to engage in technical discussions regarding rendering technologies. I just don't have the time nor desire to deal with this.

My apologies to everyone, carry on.

Lol, just go and learn how snow reacts, eg like "powder" in the first place, and then you should be allowed to judge what is a proper snow implementation. I guess you live in a sunny place where it never snows for not knowing that the snow acts like powder.
In France, ski fans call it "la poudreuse" that means "the powdery", I'm asking myself why.

An article to educate yourself about powdery snow :
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...you-prefer-east-or-west-coast-skiing/70003484

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In France, ski fans call it "la poudreuse" that means "the powdery", I'm asking myself why.

And in German-speaking Alpine countries, such as Germany, Austria and Switzerland it is called "Pulverschnee", meaning powdersnow, which is also a legit English term. ;)
Some are trying just way too hard to find faults in such a pretty game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'll preface this by saying that I am a snowboarder so I do know my pow. Powder snow still has some mild amount of translucency, plus you don't find powder snow when the snow is 3-4 inches deep because they are too close to the ground and as such they are considerably less dry. You need atleast 6-7 inches deep snow for it to even start being vaguely powder looking and knee deep for it to be really powdery, anything less than that will still have properties of your usual snow such as translucency due to higher moisture content will be present and evident. And I definitely do not see snow that deep in GoW.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Here are in-game shots for you, look at the close up in the beginning.

There's a real time cutscene at the beginning of your video. I thought you guys were discussing in game models?

Snow Glints Reflection are part of what makes snow realistic. Its like saying so water shader comes down to whether its has sparkle glitter?

Watch the beginning of this video to see my point.

What do you make of this?

BfuYct.png

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I was impressed by the snow area on the mountain, I think it was the first time I see snow done right

Oct 27, 2017
Has noone here seen the ice in rise of tomb raider? God of war looks amazing.. absolutely the best overall packsge in terms of graphics and art. But tomb raider ice and snow graphics surpass it easily (not in terms of physics though). Further, lost legacy looked much better than uc4...

No sorry, shit was a very poor choice. I'll edit it out because it does look a little bit baity and downplays ROTTR snow tech.
It was quite the hyperbole, indeed. Thx for the edit.

Yeah, that dry/rubbery look you're referring to has a lot to do with the lack of proper translucency when it is comes to SSS. Another issue though is that specular highlights (reflections of the light sources themselves) just look wrong for some materials. This was really an issue in Fallout 4.
Agreed. GOW is definitely displaying this to quite a degree aswell. Kratos at times looks like a toy rather than a human, and it reminds me of animated movies back in the day that in fact, used rubber toys.

Lol, just go and learn how snow reacts, eg like "powder" in the first place, and then you should be allowed to judge what is a proper snow implementation. I guess you live in a sunny place where it never snows for not knowing that the snow acts like powder.

An article to educate yourself about powdery snow :
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...you-prefer-east-or-west-coast-skiing/70003484
FWIW, that is not why he was leaving the thread, if you paid attention. And with that condescending snark as in the bolded, you aren't inviting anyone in this thread to have a reasonable discourse.

And in German-speaking Alpine countries, such as Germany, Austria and Switzerland it is called "Pulverschnee", meaning powdersnow, which is also a legit English term. ;)
Some are trying just way too hard to find faults in such a pretty game.
Except that was not what Brainchild was doing, but i reckon that got lost on you. I digress. There are clear aspects in GOW that are flat out not as good (Like: The reflections in the water, the skin not looking like actual skin but like rubber) as what other games do. Yet, those other games have other aspects that they aren't excelling at. I am surprised this simple mantra clearly is thrown out of the window in lieu of people wanting to convince others of how good game x looks. An actual proper snow simulation is only yet at the experimental stages as done by Nvidia, even when the implementation on display in GOW is convincing.

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
I'll preface this by saying that I am a snowboarder so I do know my pow. Powder snow still has some mild amount of translucency, plus you don't find powder snow when the snow is 3-4 inches deep because they are too close to the ground and as such they are considerably less dry. You need atleast 6-7 inches deep snow for it to even start being vaguely powder looking and knee deep for it to be really powdery, anything less than that will still have properties of your usual snow such as translucency due to higher moisture content will be present and evident. And I definitely do not see snow that deep in GoW.

Because, IRL superior to any game and any CGI clip.

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
FWIW, that is not why he was leaving the thread, if you paid attention. And with that condescending snark as in the bolded, you aren't inviting anyone in this thread to have a reasonable discourse.

Because he is not honest, if not, he would have answered my question about Pixar clip. But, instead of this, he acted like a child arguing that it's unfair to use this argument for x or y reasons. My question was quite simple though and the answer would have closed any further debate.
He didn't respect to my intellect by doing so.

Edit: cause I haven't ended my one of my sentences.

Last edited:
Because he is not honest, if not, he would have answered my question about Pixar clip. But, instead of this, he acted like a child arguing that it's unfair to use this argument for x or y reasons. My question was quite simple though and the answer would have closed any further debate as Pixar name themselves
He didn't respect to my intellect by doing so.
Or you don't know what he was referring to. Either way, like a child and all that is just, yeah :/

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I was going to say the same. GoW looks fantastic but it's really not the "OMG!!11!" huge visual leap some people are proclaiming over the other AAA Sony first party games like The Order, U4 or Horizon. They all look fantastic. Detroit and Spider-Man will be the same later this year.

Yet to the average person it looks comparable. That's how far real time visuals have come. It's crazy what a $250 box can render in real time.

The advanced features are very subtle. You guys won't notice a difference until it's done properly, then you'll come back to this game and realize how 'crude' the implementations have been. $250 box is just a box and is limited in features. That's just a fact. It's the art that's driving these lame threads.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
But who said that it looks loke the same he just said than the snow deformation is is the one looking the most like what we see into the PIXAR... For sure it is far from PIXAR simulation but less far than Horizon or ROTR...

EDIT: And when I say far it is orders of magnitude further... ;)

But it doesn't deform realistically. It's a crude noise shader with no accuracy at all compared to the Pixar implementation which uses an actual simulation for individual particles of snow. There is simply no comparison. GoW has a pattern in the deformation, so it's not an accurate sim. And the snow splits up into a multifractal noise which drives the displacement. You can look close enough and tell. Varying the amplitude based on speed is quite trivial (for the different heights).

There is about 2-3 layers of color texture on this snow. No SSS for computationally accurate light scattering, the sparkles are just individual ambient (white layer) and not the accurate flat particles with random orientation with a physically based reflection, the diffuse is flat because of no SSS, there is no self-shadowing in the volume, and it doesn't pick up environment sky light (i.e. blue).

That's how crude this implementation is for those that are interested.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The advanced features are very subtle. You guys won't notice a difference until it's done properly, then you'll come back to this game and realize how 'crude' the implementations have been. $250 box is just a box and is limited in features. That's just a fact. It's the art that's driving these lame threads.

I agree and don't need to be an expert it looks orders of magnitude better in PIXAR simulation...

But it doesn't deform realistically. It's a crude noise shader with no accuracy at all compared to the Pixar implementation which uses an actual simulation for individual particles of snow. There is simply no comparison. GoW has a pattern in the deformation, so it's not an accurate sim. And the snow splits up into a multifractal noise which drives the displacement. You can look close enough and tell. Varying the amplitude based on speed is quite trivial (for the different heights).

No one said it deform realistically, if it was the case we would probably not be so eager to have a PS5 or the next Xbox....

Last edited:

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I agree and don't need to be an expert it looks orders of magnitude of PIXAR simulation...

No one said it deform realistically, if it was the case we would probably not be so eager to have a PS5 or the next Xbox....

No use in arguing here. He will read whatever he wants to read into what you're saying. What you said was perfectly clear and understandable, he deliberately misinterpreted it again to get his point across. A point noone ever argued against.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys see film grain in the images above?

I think the effect is very less pronounced. Regardless, like yourself I Don't like it either, I put it down to 5, motion blur to max and the IQ looks extremely clean to me.

God of War is a near perfect blend of fantastic tech and art direction combined.

godofwar_201804192337ccut1.png

godofwar_201804192342ibuuv.png

godofwar_201804202028giupm.png

godofwar_2018042020525pue9.png

godofwar_201804211614pouip.png

godofwar_201804212151syul4.png

godofwar_201804220001i5upq.png

Last edited:

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I took the motion blur and film grain off. They were killing the game for me. I couldn't focus on anything on the screen until I turned them off. It makes a massive difference for me

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
How they got this game running on a base ps4 at 30 fps Stable with 1080p no dynamic resolution is fucking sorcery. I'm amazed at this game in every sense of
The word.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Neither of those consoles will have the power to handle CGI level snow. Performance would tank.

Where did I say the two consoles will be able to do it? We probably need consoles hundreds thousand or maybe millions of time more powerful than PS4 or Xbox One to do snow CGI level with CGI graphics level, this is why I said orders of magnitude but if we had this power or consoles able to render Avatar or Avatar 2 in realtime at 60 fps I doubt we will wait the next or next generation so eagerly...

Last edited:

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
God of War snow glint reflection thing :p

Where's the spartle glitter reflection? All i see is a white dot which is accomplished by using a noise alpha texture with spec applied in attempt to fake glint and the result doesn't look good.
Again watch the ROTR clip to see what snow glint looks like and also watch the snow shader video i posted.

Just pay attention to the sparkle in this video which is similar to whats in ROTR:

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Easily the best snow implementation I have seen in a game ! Pixar should be proud !

It looks cool in a tiny gif but I gotta say I wasn't impressed with this section at all when I played it last night. The snow looks off, like sand covered with dried white spray paint and it has this weird hard shadow thing going on if you actually look down towards it. The icey parts looks kinda meh as well.

Just my opinion but I still think Rise of the Tomb Raider has better snow and ice, and someone called it bad here but that's absurd.

"Pixar"? If you're watching your pixar movies on shaky cam bootlegged VHS tapes maybe.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think the effect is very less pronounced. Regardless, like yourself I Don't like it either, I put it down to 5, motion blur to max and the IQ looks extremely clean to me.

God of War is a near perfect blend of fantastic tech and art direction combined.

godofwar_201804192337ccut1.png

godofwar_201804192342ibuuv.png

godofwar_201804202028giupm.png

godofwar_2018042020525pue9.png

godofwar_201804211614pouip.png

godofwar_201804212151syul4.png

godofwar_201804220001i5upq.png

Fantastic screenshots. God of War is one insanely good looking game and it looks even better in motion @ 4k with HDR, what a game.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Where's the spartle glitter reflection? All i see is a white dot which is accomplished by using a noise alpha texture with spec applied in attempt to fake glint and the result doesn't look good.
Again watch the ROTR clip to see what snow glint looks like and also watch the snow shader video i posted.

I just watched the RotTR video again for the sake of your argument and it looks the same to me.

I can even make a gif to show the similarity. I'll probably do that now.

Just pay attention to the sparkle in this video which is similar to whats in ROTR:

I'll have a look at the video but before I watch it, have you got a source that details the snow tech in RotTR?

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

there are a few similarities i see between god of war snow shaders and skyrim (that snow glint is almost identical to the one used in skyrim special edition)

the way the snow attaches to surfaces reminds me of the flat white texture we saw in skyrim as well

l1gKfTg.jpg

the deformation tech looks excellent though and looks more natural than RotTR imo

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Glint looks similar.

No it doesn't, Please I'm begging you, stop using gif to show off graphic comparisons.
Gif compresses video to 480p level resolution, making it lose all its details including the lack of details.
Like seriously this is a technical graphic thread for crying out loud. Should it really be stated that the requirement are that all posted game images should be PNG and at-least 1440p and all video should at-least be 1440p.

Imagine DF using 480p GIF to make graphic analysis in their video.
It would be absurd. But that's what you people are doing. Its not rocket science.

Now the video you originally posted. In this video, the glint is just a texture. It doesn't reflect, it doesn't sparkle, it doesn't glitter.

If you can't see the sparkle difference between that video and this video then we can't even move forward to compare it to what's in ROTR.

Status
Not open for further replies.