• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do what? Point out obvious flaws in his demenour? He's not acting like someone who's meant to be an unbiased games journalist. I would be embarrassd if that was me but alas everyone has different levels of tolerance.

Oh and he does this all the time in threads and it's getting boring.
Sure, but this shit slinging on all sides really only fuels the issues and makes it worse. Like, the best thing to do is to ignore the obvious troll posts and move on.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I like how he had to slip the X in there too which runs the same 3rd party games as PS4 does but at a slightly higher resolution, as if that changes the graphics of the game in question lol.

Ye. Ridiculous when people plug the X into a conversation like this. Vast majority of the time the X is providing a cleaner image and nothing more.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I own both a Pro and an X and while I can't make a direct comparison, Assassin's Creed Origins is dramatically better looking than Horizon. But I chalk that up to Ubisoft being fucking incredible.

Same but I can't completely agree. I feel like the "world" of AC:O feels more alive in regards to its inhabitants (there's certainly more of them and the towns feel more immersive) but the environments lack the detail, variety and beauty of what HZD offers.

It's close but there's never been a time where I felt like AC:O looked better in anyway than HZD. I have had a few moments in HZD though where I felt it topped AC:O however.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Assassin's Creed Origins is dramatically better looking than Horizon.
Man I know it's subjective but this is just plain false. Lol. I played both Origins and Frozen Wilds at the same time and it wasn't even close. Origins, granted has better wildlife and a more populated world. But that's about all I'll give it above horizon. Horizon on a 4k HDR display is stunning as hell.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I know it's subjective but this is just plain false. Lol. I played both Origins and Frozen Wilds at the same time and it wasn't even close. Origins, granted has better wildlife and a more populated world. But that's about all I'll give it above horizon. Horizon on a 4k HDR display is stunning as hell.
Doc is probably referring to Origins on PC, not PS4.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
After 2 minutes of watching that video it's clear they don't know what they are talking about nor do they know how to back up their claim.

They initially mention games that have won best graphics awards but eventually revert to making graphical comparisons with past God of War games.

If you want to say it's GOAT then continue comparing it to the previous best graphical games.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
DJgxK2Q.jpg

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more annoyed that you say "has nothing to do with the topic here" than anything. It has everything to do with the topic. This is a case of people not even having the game yet claiming it's the best looking game of all time. There isn't a single PS4 game that competes, graphically, with a PC or Xbox One X game right now. The Pro is the third most powerful piece of hardware out there; it's simply not able to compete.
It doesn't actually. And yes, as you can see with Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted Lost Legacy, now God of War and soon TLOU2, it competes and it even wins.
Yes, Assassins Creed looks great at times, awful at times.
(And in the end, it's not as good as the games I've mentioned above. According to me, and to reviews out there.)

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do what? Point out obvious flaws in his demenour? He's not acting like someone who's meant to be an unbiased games journalist. I would be embarrassd if that was me but alas everyone has different levels of tolerance.

Oh and he does this all the time in threads and it's getting boring.
Pot meet kettle.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I like how he had to slip the X in there too which runs the same 3rd party games as PS4 does but at a slightly higher resolution, as if that changes the graphics of the game in question lol.

I mean, it's not wrong though. If the two machines have equal graphics for a given game but one runs it at a higher resolution, it unquestionably looks better. Whether or not it's noticeable is more of a subjective thing as some people are probably more sensitive to that than others, but that doesn't detract from the original point.

In the end, the "best graphics" is going to be entirely subjective. So I'm not sure how either side (whether it is or it isn't the best looking game) is going to convince the other side.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If you're talking about the best looking game of all time I think it's fair to compare it to PC versions of games. Now if you keep it to best looking PS4 game then its different.

Maybe, but there's no real way to make comparisons. Would Origins look better than Horizon, if Horizon was also on PC? Considering what they are already doing with a 1.8TF box, I don't think so.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a derail. If you say "best of all time," you are absolutely opening yourself up to "well, what about a PC game."

I own both a Pro and an X and while I can't make a direct comparison, Assassin's Creed Origins is dramatically better looking than Horizon. But I chalk that up to Ubisoft being fucking incredible.
I played both games horizon on regular PS4 and origin on strong PC roughly 1080 equalent and it's a toss up between two. Some things orgin do better but some things are better on horizon.

Also even of u include PC horizon definitely belongs in best graphics of all time and I am sure good of war will be too. These are not time of crysis ,farcry or doom 3 where they were so beyond of then gen console. The only things you are getting on PC is higher quality setting lod res and fps.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

I've played Gears 4 and there's nothing that special about its graphics. It's only impressive when the storms are going off, during normal gameplay time it's not even that big of a step above 3. The X has nothing to do with it, all it does is increase the resolution.

A lot of AAA games run nearly double the res over pro. Not so sure about "slightly". You can look at the DF faceoffs for that

Is there a FPS analysis yet for this game? Lots of reports saying the performance isn't too hot right now

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Bringing off site drama into discussion
Sure, but this shit slinging on all sides really only fuels the issues and makes it worse. Like, the best thing to do is to ignore the obvious troll posts and move on.
What he said and I'm not picking sides I'm just calling shit it. SonyEra likes to dog pile on people who criticize or don't agree that Sony has the best of whatever. It's been like that since gaf, same posters; Bundy, Guymelief, the OP, etc. Really ridiculous and sends any kind of discussion down the drain.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Why are folks talking about the X when GoW is a PS4 exclusive?

What we should really be discussing are the reported performance issues in resolution mode.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
The way some of you are replying to this...

...is honestly a bit ridiculous.

God of War looks great, don't mistake me, but it's got it's work cut out to touch stuff like AC: Origins, Gears 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider on a 1X, and that's before you even mention graphical powerhouses on a high-end PC. That's not even a controversial statement, in any way.

That's what kinda baffles me? Like... I'm treating this thread like Kamiya treats twitter, right? Like, I'm at a bar hanging with friends, we're having a fun lil' discussion about graphics. It's like if one of my friends was like "man, the Chicago Bulls are the greatest team of all time," and I was like "yo hold the fuck up, let's talk about the Golden State Warriors now." I'm sick in bed and it's fun to chat about stuff. The "you're insane/you're just trying to make me mad" comments sound like projection. I'm not here to do any of that. I'm shooting the breeze with my pals on line.

I've played Gears 4 and there's nothing that special about its graphics. It's only impressive when the storms are going off, during normal gameplay time it's not even that big of a step above 3. The X has nothing to do with it, all it does is increase the resolution.

It's more than a slightly higher resolution. In fact, Digital Foundry explicitly stated that it was ~dramatically~ higher, lol.

I think Gears is pretty great looking on PC, but having played both games last year, while working with direct feed footage of both for a video project... Gears of War 4 stomps all over 3. It's also an amazing port and I hope we get Gears 3 EE on PC at some point, but like... it's not even close. And I say this as someone who doesn't like 4 and prefers 3 greatly. 4 is just several orders of magnitude better than 3.

So you're comparing Origins maxed out on a PC versus Horizon on PS4. Perhaps the fairer comparison would be Origins on PS4 compared to Horizon on PS4. Origins on PS4 doesn't look as good as Horizon.

Yeah. We're talking about best graphics, right? I haven't seen Origins on a PS4 Pro so I can't really comment on a direct comparison between the two. DigitalFoundry says it's not as dramatic as Shadow of War's X enhancements, so YMMV. But yeah, like... my entire point is that if you're going to say "the best graphics of all time," you have to be ready for comparisons with PC hardware. That's not an unfair comparison in the slightest. It's an honest one. It's like if you say a minor league baseball player is the best of all time; you're inviting comparisons to the major leagues. It's okay if you want to say he's the best minor league player of all time; that's totally rational. But best of all time? Then it's fair game for someone to bring up the majors.

Okay, that brings up an interesting point; I don't have an HDR panel. I wonder if Horizon has better HDR implementation than Origins? It's possible that might tip the scales and it brings up an interesting discussion in and of itself, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What he said and I'm not picking sides I'm just calling shit it. SonyEra likes to dog pile on people who criticize or don't agree that Sony has the best of whatever. It's been like that since gaf, same posters; Bundy, Guymelief, the OP, etc. Really ridiculous and sends any kind of discussion down the drain.

Do you also have as much of a problem with the amount of dumb topics that get created by NintendoEra on a daily basis?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Are you a stalker? If i were them i would watch out.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I think that the thread title, as is, promotes ignorance and fanboyism. At best, this could be the best looking game on the Playstation. It can't compete with something running on a GTX 1070, let alone a 1080Ti or a Titan X.

I bet you are one of those who thinks graphics is all about resolution and framerate. There's some much going on that makes the overall graphics of a game. Like some have already pointed out in this thread, cleaner graphics are not better graphics.

Games like Horizon and Uncharted 4 are fantastic looking games not because of the power of the PS4, but because of the very talented staff inside Noughty Dog and Guerrila, working with only one hardware configuration in mind, plus the huge investiment that Sony allow for their first party studios. Power matters, but it's not the only thing that accounts.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have Quantum Break on the X and while it is gorgeous, it doesn't look as good as U4, Horizon or GOW.

Quantum Break is probably the best-looking game on the XBOX outside of maybe AC: Origins and Battlefront II.

The X may technically be the most powerful console but thus far, Sony still has the visual crown with U4, U:Lost Legacy, and Horizon.

And I fully expect GOW to match or exceed those titles.

Oct 27, 2017

Don't do this. There is the exact same on the other side, and in this very thread too. Ones that already have been banned for it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The way some of you are replying to this...

...is honestly a bit ridiculous.

God of War looks great, don't mistake me, but it's got it's work cut out to touch stuff like AC: Origins, Gears 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider on a 1X, and that's before you even mention graphical powerhouses on a high-end PC. That's not even a controversial statement, in any way.

I do think it's debatable. Things like level of detail, rendering techniques, performance capture - these aren't things that depend entirely on resolution to be seen, but contribute heavily to the perception of a game looking good. For instance Assassin's Creed Unity at 900p on a console can 'look better' than AC: Origins on PC by virtue of the different techniques the games employ, based on the viewer, and that's the kind of distinction you might see between God of War and even the best looking PC games.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I bet you are one of those who thinks graphics is all about resolution and framerate. There's some much going on that makes the overall graphics of a game. Like some have already pointed out in this thread, cleaner graphics are not better graphics.

Games like Horizon and Uncharted 4 are fantastic looking games not because of the power of the PS4, but because of the very talented staff inside Noughty Dog and Guerrila, working with only one hardware configuration in mind, plus the huge investiment that Sony allow for their first party studios. Power matters, but it's not the only thing that accounts.

Graphics is also about particles, lighting, a bunch of other stuff. It's all technical things. Art style is a completely different topic. I would know. I'm a game developer. :)

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK

Spot on.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of AAA games run nearly double the res over pro. Not so sure about "slightly". You can look at the DF faceoffs for that

Is there a FPS analysis yet for this game? Lots of reports saying the performance isn't too hot right now
Even if it double the resolution it's just one factor. Doesn't make any game less technical advanced if it's running on lower resolution. It's like saying half life 2 looks better than ryse because my PC could run it at 4k 144 fps.
XboxX is no doubt a great machine and it's up to developers to take advantage of it but it's still constrained by CPU and base consoles

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not wrong though. If the two machines have equal graphics for a given game but one runs it at a higher resolution, it unquestionably looks better. Whether or not it's noticeable is more of a subjective thing as some people are probably more sensitive to that than others, but that doesn't detract from the original point.

In the end, the "best graphics" is going to be entirely subjective. So I'm not sure how either side (whether it is or it isn't the best looking game) is going to convince the other side.

That's the thing though, these exclusives Sony pumps out are much better looking than any third party AAA game. So to mention the X is completely pointless since it's just a resolution bump on games that don't look as good. Besides these Sony games tend to get up to checkerboard 4k level on Pro so even if you were to compare the resolutions it's pretty much at the splitting hairs point.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I do think God of War tops Horizon and Uncharted 4, which is mind-boggling really. The art direction is outstanding.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Well yeah, its going to surpass Horizon by a mile on animations alone and Uncharted on effects, art direction and crazyness.

I can see UC winning texture wise though

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm assuming you've never played a game on a PC or Xbox One X.
I've never seen a PC game better looking than Uncharted 4, if you exclude framerate and resolution. Definitely not Witcher 3, after they downgraded it from the pre-release trailers.

Not sure about GoW, since I wait to judge a game after I've personally played the whole thing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.