• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
That's it? Why aren't we talking about 1080 Ti's and whatnot?
Because this forum is full of console gamers who'd rather pretend those things don't exist.

XB1X is beast! 1080ti??? pff, no one has those!.

I've never seen a PC game better looking than Uncharted 4, if you exclude framerate and resolution. Definitely not Witcher 3, after they downgraded it from the pre-release trailers.

Not sure about GoW, since I wait to judge a game after I've personally played the whole thing myself.
Modern stuff like Battlefront 2 looks much more impressive to me at 100+hz 1440p, but I've only seen base PS4 UC4.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hyperbole surrounding this game actually starting to out me off, lol

It's not really hyperbole if true though, is it?

Not to say this is most definitely the best-looking game ever but given what's been shown thus far, it does represent yet another incredible visual milestone for this medium, specifically on consoles.

I think people are simply excited because the last game to generate this kind of buzz in terms of its visual and technical attributes was Horizon: Zero Dawn and that was an amazing-looking game by any metric.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a PC game better looking than Uncharted 4, if you exclude framerate and resolution. Definitely not Witcher 3, after they downgraded it from the pre-release trailers.

Not sure about GoW, since I wait to judge a game after I've personally played the whole thing myself.

It's really fucking weird to me how people keep replying with "framerate and resolution." Like... you know there's more to graphics than that? Polycount, particle effects, physics interactions, etc, right? Shit like the grass density and reactivity in a game is just as important a part of this discussion as framerate and resolution.

In general, I'm not really sure why people act like I'm taking a controversial opinion. It's like me saying "Doom is a first person shooter" or something. If I was out here saying subjective things like "I don't think God of War's art style is good," I'd understand. But "games running on more powerful hardware look better" is literally the least controversial statement anyone could make in a thread about graphics.

How does Art Style not factor into how good a game looks.

Thread title says graphics. It's an objective metric so it's easy to measure.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xbox fans keep talking about 30% stronger harware and they forget how much talent and coding to a specific hardware improves graphics .

Oct 25, 2017
Claims like this article makes are weird to me because it's not like GoW looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than other games this gen you know? It's not like a jump from Rainbow 6 Vegas to Crysis 1. Yeah GoW looks drop dead beautiful but it's not like it makes games like horizon zero dawn or battlefront 2 look a generation old. Even Hellblade still looks incredible next to GoW.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
T
It's really fucking weird to me how people keep replying with "framerate and resolution." Like... you know there's more to graphics than that? Polycount, particle effects, physics interactions, etc, right? Shit like the grass density and reactivity in a game is just as important a part of this discussion as framerate and resolution.

In general, I'm not really sure why people act like I'm taking a controversial opinion. It's like me saying "Doom is a first person shooter" or something. If I was out here saying subjective things like "I don't think God of War's art style is good," I'd understand. But "games running on more powerful hardware look better" is literally the least controversial statement anyone could make in a thread about graphics.

Thread title says graphics. It's an objective metric so it's easy to measure.
The title also says best looking game of all time. Eitherway it doesn't matter I just wanted an answer.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That's what kinda baffles me? Like... I'm treating this thread like Kamiya treats twitter, right? Like, I'm at a bar hanging with friends, we're having a fun lil' discussion about graphics. It's like if one of my friends was like "man, the Chicago Bulls are the greatest team of all time," and I was like "yo hold the fuck up, let's talk about the Golden State Warriors now." I'm sick in bed and it's fun to chat about stuff. The "you're insane/you're just trying to make me mad" comments sound like projection. I'm not here to do any of that. I'm shooting the breeze with my pals on line.

Yeah this is exactly how I've read your posts in this thread.

Plus obviously I'm aware people like you have a bit more experience than the average joe, like me, when it comes to these topics.

I do think it's debatable. Things like level of detail, rendering techniques, performance capture - these aren't things that depend entirely on resolution to be seen, but contribute heavily to the perception of a game looking good. For instance Assassin's Creed Unity at 900p on a console can 'look better' than AC: Origins on PC by virtue of the different techniques the games employ, based on the viewer, and that's the kind of distinction you might see between God of War and even the best looking PC games.

I mean, sure. Which is why I said, "...it has it's work cut out..." and not, "...fuck off..."

You know?

But the point was, DocSeuss didn't make any kind of controversial, or irrational statement, and yet people still jumped like they'd been scorched. There was no need.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Claims like this article makes are weird to me because it's not like GoW looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than other games this gen you know? It's not like a jump from Rainbow 6 Vegas to Crysis 1. Yeah GoW looks drop dead beautiful but it's not like it makes games like horizon zero dawn or battlefront 2 look a generation old. Even Hellblade still looks incredible next to GoW.
Graphics tech was massively evolving back then compared to now.

I would be careful generalizing millions of people.
I don't see generalizing in that post. He just said he sees Xbox fans doing something, not that he sees all Xbox fans doing something.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

DecisiveElatedEasternnewt-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining.
I know that it's a repost of an article but this place is really starting to seem like ground central for Sony viral marketing.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It's because of threads like this that I never agreed with "X, Y, or Z is the best EVER!!!!" types of comments. It's hyperbole to the extreme and does nothing to evoke actual conversation or thought. It appeals the tribal mentality that we see too often in forums these days.

I'm more annoyed that you say "has nothing to do with the topic here" than anything. It has everything to do with the topic. This is a case of people not even having the game yet claiming it's the best looking game of all time. There isn't a single PS4 game that competes, graphically, with a PC or Xbox One X game right now. The Pro is the third most powerful piece of hardware out there; it's simply not able to compete.

This isn't necessarily true. I highly doubt anyone would say Disneyland Adventures is more impressive than Horizon Zero Dawn because it runs at native 4K. The OG Xbox is around 3x more powerful than the PS2, but GT4 looked and ran better than the first Forza at the time. Efficient technology and great art can overcome some technical limitations imposed by the hardware running these games. The PC is almost always the most powerful platform but there are plenty of times where one of the best looking games at release launches on a console.

The way some of you are replying to this...

...is honestly a bit ridiculous.

God of War looks great, don't mistake me, but it's got it's work cut out to touch stuff like AC: Origins, Gears 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider on a 1X, and that's before you even mention graphical powerhouses on a high-end PC. That's not even a controversial statement, in any way.

I'm not sure why anyone is debating anything. Anyone saying GoW doesn't look as good as another game is no different than the people saying GoW looks better than anything out there. Very few of us have played it and there is likely some flawed reasoning when comparing these games to begin with.

For the record, that video states that in Performance Mode, they encountered frame drops so bad they had to switch back to 4K mode. That is unheard of. None of my peers have mentioned this issue, and I myself played the game from beginning to end in performance mode, with side-missions thrown in, and I had consistent 45 - high 50s frame rate throughout. Not sure what their issue was.

I wonder if they mean drops as in fluctuations. I much rather have a locked 30fps than a wavering 45-high 50s.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
When's your analysis coming?! I heard performance isn't too good and also noticed water not reflecting objects in real time. Looks like they're using cube maps for water surfaces
Performance is decent - some minor dips. Nothing too serious (think Rise of the Tomb Raider or Quantum Break on X).

Water uses some reflections but other times cube maps. SSR is in the game but not used on water. Water is probably it's weakest visual element (kinda like Horizon).

My video goes up tomorrow. Already done but waiting on 4K resolve. It's 19 minutes long.

Mosse

Oct 25, 2017
"games running on more powerful hardware look better" is literally the least controversial statement anyone could make in a thread about graphics.
I would agree if you compare the same game on different hardware. But since God of war is only on ps4 it comes down to more subjective stuff like what parts of the graphics you prefere since different games does everything from particles, animation, etc better or worse, and some people prefer different things. You can have the best hardware and still think a game on lesser hardware looks better depending on if you prefer some graphical parts of it or how it all comes together in the end.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I have read the article and watched the video. I do not know much about gamingbolt, but is this article/video representative of their work on the whole? This whole article/video seems kind of useless. It does not really use painterly language, so it does not sound super enticing to read. Because of this, I would think it should then be more technically focused. Then they do not really examine it in a technical sense. Sure, they throw out world like parallax occlusion and PBR, but they don't really show go examples or describe them in details. It literally sounds like someone who is a huge fan of the game just saying it looks pretty and trying to use whatever technical terms they can think of to make it sound more legitimate. They say, "the bosses' assets use high resolution textures along with full skin shader support." They do not talk about what makes the skin shaders good, they do not say what "full skin shader support means" (do other games have partial skin shader support!?), they do not say how the skin shaders differ or excel in comparison to other games. Also, no offense to the game as I think in most aspects God of War looks great, but they talk about how excellent the water is and it is probably one of the least impressive aspects I have seen of God of War (again, plenty of the game looks great).

I think the argument could easily be made that God of War is very good looking and well polished visually, but this coverage is not effective in doing so at all.

Oct 27, 2017
These kinds of topics/threads always ends up like this. And this is over a game most people haven't played yet. We as a community really need to grow up.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Performance is decent - some minor dips. Nothing too serious (think Rise of the Tomb Raider or Quantum Break on X).

Water uses some reflections but other times cube maps. SSR is in the game but not used on water. Water is probably it's weakest visual element (kinda like Horizon).

My video goes up tomorrow. Already done but waiting on 4K resolve. It's 19 minutes long.
With all respect Rise of TR on the ps4 pro and especially on the X in 4k mode, wasn't exactly a good experience, personally . Hope it's not really the same for this game on the Pro. My opinion of course.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure. Which is why I said, "...it has it's work cut out..." and not, "...fuck off..."

You know?

But the point was, DocSeuss didn't make any kind of controversial, or irrational statement, and yet people still jumped like they'd been scorched. There was no need.

I think "I'm assuming you've never played a game on a PC or Xbox One X" is a controversial statement. In response to 'God of War might be the best looking game of all time' it's pretty much a dismissive 'Nah', and the implication that a PS4 game can't look better than a PC or Xbox One X game rather than an actual counter-point.

Oct 27, 2017
Gamingbolt is a big time click bait site. Every other day is an 'article' about some random dev, no-one has heard of (mostly Indie), with a game not pushing any power on hardware (literally 16-bit stylized), talking about power differences (how beastly machine A or B is), etc.. And N4G keeps it's (perceived sister) site busy back and forth with each other.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Graphics is also about particles, lighting, a bunch of other stuff. It's all technical things. Art style is a completely different topic. I would know. I'm a game developer. :)

I don't agree that you can separate graphics and art like if one has nothing to do with the other. Graphics are nothing without art.

Let's take one of the subjects that you pointed out: lighting. How can a team make good looking lighting without understanding how light affects things on an artistic level?
As an example let's take GT Sport. IMO this game has the most photorealistic lighting on any game to date, and that's is not because of the raw power of the PS4, but because PD and Kaz (that is a photographer) have an amazing artistic understanding of how lighting works. They have nailed lighting since the PS One days.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017

Waiting for your analysis. So do you agree it's one of the best looking games even on the weakest hardware?

Also want to reequer df retro for gow on ps2. I don't think there was any game that were marvelous on ps2 hardware

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could have told you that it would be the "best looking game of all time" even before PS4 launched. It's not necessarily about the power of the system, but rather about the effort artists and programmers put into it. Still kind of hyperbolic statement though.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People bringing up more powerful hardware are missing the point. Sony studios are some of the best at what they do. They're able to bring out high end graphical fidelity on PS4 that can match and exceed games running on better hardware. This is not a new concept. Some of you need to relax.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this should be called an analysis. None of what they said explains why it's the best looking game and the details stated were so general it could be applied to any modern game. lol

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think we're on the same side, lol.

I was saying that I exclude framerate & resolution as factors, because those two things are not "graphics". I consider graphics in this topic to mean the other things you listed above.

That's why I think Uncharted 4 is the best looking game I've ever seen, if you do not factor framerate & resolution. And I do 95% of my gaming on PC.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
With all respect Rise of TR on the ps4 pro and especially on the X in 4k mode, wasn't exactly a good experience, personally . Hope it's not really the same for this game on the Pro. My opinion of course.
Hmm, it's maybe a tad better than that but not as solid as other first party titles.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reminded of the year of our lord 2010, when Metro 2033 released, and was easily the greatest looking video game ever made, but a lot of people thought that God of War 3 looked better because they couldn't play Metro on their Playstations and thus had no idea what they were missing.

I'm not mad, but I think fanboying over the graphics of a game on a system a full magnitude of graphical power less than a gaming PC could ever be even considered one of the best looking games of all time. At best, you might argue it's the best-looking Playstation game ever. It doesn't even rate when compared to something like a maxed out Quantum Break.

I think you mean art, then, not graphics. Because graphics is the technical stuff. Higher resolution, framerate, polycount, image quality, lighting... that's what graphics are.
You're wrong. You're basically saying that the majority of the gaming business are PS fanboys then because Horizon was considered the best looking game by most last year.

Graphics is more than just resolution, framerate etc., -- it's also art; and it's here where Sony shines... they have some of the best artists in the business. Being an exclusive, they are also able to get the most of the system, and Sony are also great here as well.

Pair great art and tech and you can absolutely outshine games on higher spec'd systems. It has been done several times before.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hmm, it's maybe a tad better than that but not as solid as other first party titles.
:( Damn. Hope they will improve it with some future patches. That's sad to hear. Still I'm kinda of shocked how Sony doesn't impose to their first parties a stable performance like the base ps4. That's ridiculous.

OP
OP
v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're wrong. You're basically saying that the majority of the gaming business are PS fanboys then because Horizon was considered the best looking game by most last year.

Graphics is more than just resolution, framerate etc., -- it's also art; and it's here where Sony shines... they have some of the best artists in the business. Being an exclusive, they are also able to get the most of the system, and Sony are also great here as well.

Pair great art and tech and you can absolutely outshine games on higher spec'd systems. It has been done several times before.

Exactly, Sony Studios are really amazing.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they mean drops as in fluctuations. I much rather have a locked 30fps than a wavering 45-high 50s.

I dunno... He said that it was bad enough to force a transition into 4K mode, which is so bizarre to hear. Frame rate was really steady throughout my entire playthrough. I could count the number of noticeable dips on one hand, and they definitely weren't inhibitive.

I'll also second Dark1x in saying that the water isn't super impressive. The video said that it was "truly special," but it's really just... a surface. It doesn't look BAD, but it's definitely not one of the many things that made my jaw drop.

The most beautiful moments, for me, were hanging around Yggdrasil. You'll know what I mean when you do it. Such pretty lights and reflections...

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that you can separate graphics and art like if one has nothing to do with the other. Graphics are nothing without art.

Let's take one of the subjects that you pointed out: lighting. How can a team make good looking lighting without understanding how light affects things on an artistic level?
As an example let's take GT Sport. IMO this game has the most photorealistic lighting on any game to date, and that's is not because of the raw power of the PS4, but because PD and Kaz (that is a photographer) have an amazing artistic understanding of how lighting works. They have nailed lighting since the PS One days.

It's very easy. Consider this (with a grain of salt, it's been 8 years since I looked into this): last gen, one of the ways we knew the Xbox 360 was a more powerful console than the Playstation 3 was because the Xbox 360 could do both dynamic and volumetric lighting simultaneously. Alan Wake was literally not capable of running on a PS3 because the PS3 couldn't handle the kind of lighting Alan Wake was pulling off. It was capable of running games with dramatically higher draw distances than PS3 games (Halo Reach had a 34 mile draw distance, and Alan Wake was pretty much effortlessly rendering a bunch of stuff it could have culled), which is also related to lighting.

You can do artistic things with lighting to make a game look good, and I think Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studio both did wonderful jobs with lighting last gen, but there is also lighting ~technology~ (that is, graphics stuff) that the 360 could do because it was the more powerful console, having a GPU that was a half or full graphics generation ahead of the PS3 (plus it had a unified RAM pool, which helped it in games that were RAM heavy, like Bethesda titles).

I can make a beautiful painting with watercolor, but if I want to print a photo, I'm going with an inkjet printer.

You can make beautiful, artistic games, but if you're going for "best graphics," we're talking technology. It's objective at that point. Obviously Digitalfoundry's gonna have opinions on that, and I'd be interested in what they have to say. But I suspect they won't be like "wow, God of War has one million polys per character, the most any game has ever pushed" or "holy shit, real time global illumination with raytracing! incredible!"

Like, if this thread was "God of War is the best looking game on the Playstation," I'd probably just nod my head. But obviously while I'm doin my 'eat breakfast and browse forums' thing, I'm gonna pop in and go "hey, I disagree with this." I've said what I needed to say tho. I'm not here to harsh anyone's vibes about this being a good looking game. But to say the best... I mean, it's like telling me that a Dodge Viper is the fastest car in the world. It's patently false. I don't see why popping it in and going "you know there are faster cars, right?" is a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.