• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
It worked just fine for me last night. I always buy a $10 card and use PayPal when I check out online but no issues at all.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just tried Paypal, same issue for me -- order won't process on PSN $10 card. I've also tried the Gamestop app and it just hangs and constantly reloads at checkout, so I got no clue what's going on there.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm double dipping still works as of last night

I just tried Paypal, same issue for me -- order won't process on PSN $10 card. I've also tried the Gamestop app and it just hangs and constantly reloads at checkout, so I got no clue what's going on there.

Hmm, I literally just bought a $10 PSN code online last night, so seems unlikely it got disabled for everyone unless I had some extremely good timing. That said, I used trade credit to buy the code, not actual money

I had to go to 3 different GameStop's to find a $10 eShop card, but the double worked once I found it.

FYI, you don't need to buy a $10 code from in-store, they are able to print out a $5 code for you. Or at least my Gamestops are. (I hear some employees can be stingy about it) If anything it's weird you needed to go through 3 stores just to get a $10 code, the $5 one in my experience is the one that they don't have physical cards for

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
When did they add digital steam codes on the website? I have been using my monthly 5 on a 20 steam code, I don't remember them having them on their site previously so I always bought eShop.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
FYI, you don't need to buy a $10 code from in-store, they are able to print out a $5 code for you. Or at least my Gamestops are. (I hear some employees can be stingy about it) If anything it's weird you needed to go through 3 stores just to get a $10 code, the $5 one in my experience is the one that they don't have physical cards for
I assume it was due to the holidays and they haven't restocked yet. Did know they could print them tho. Good tip. I went to the hood GameStop down the street from me as a last resort cuz I knew wasn't nobody going in there for Switch stuff lol. They had like 2 full racks of em.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hmm, I literally just bought a $10 PSN code online last night, so seems unlikely it got disabled for everyone unless I had some extremely good timing. That said, I used trade credit to buy the code, not actual money
Thanks for that, I just used my trade credit and it worked. So yeah, that's still working as of now!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

V7gLgbR.jpg

Sigh.

lando-calrissian-this-deal-is-getting-worse-all-the-time.gif

Edit: Beaten lol

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Always some fuckery on January lol

So now we're forced to pay $5 in-store for a $10 code? I wonder if this also killed the coupon from being double used?

Yes, correct. Still a much better deal to get a $10 code for 50% off than the deals you normally see for eshop credit and what not, but yea, sucks not being able to get free credit every month :(

This shouldn't affect double dipping though, it's not like you need to buy a $5 code to do it

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
So essentially it moved from spending $5 for $15 per month into spending $10 for $20 per month.

I'd prefer the former, but considering how much GS credit I have and how much eShop credit I spend, doesn't really mean much in the long term for me. But sucks for the people who were only using the free $5.

Counting the $15 sign-up fee, overall, that means a year changes from:

$75 for $180
to
$135 for $240

You still do get 105 free credit by double-dipping annually

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Ha, goddammit. This literally happens the month after I sign up for the first time. Woof.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to rack up on $10 cards. Was looking forward to the totally free eShop cards, though.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
So essentially it moved from spending $5 for $15 per month into spending $10 for $20 per month.

I'd prefer the former, but considering how much GS credit I have and how much eShop credit I spend, doesn't really mean much in the long term for me. But sucks for the people who were only using the free $5.
I went from spending 10 for 20 for Xbox cards to spending 30 for 40 this month because I wanted steam cards instead.

Steam deck changing things for me lately tbh. Been using steam a lot more because of it.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Ah the good old "let's take away all the reasons people like this thing, now employees you better sell twice as many" routine.

I only used it for Playstation money personally so I already was spending the extra $5.

For those that use it for Xbox I would still check though. Xbox was always unique in that they let you print out any amount on the receipt. You could always do weird numbers like exactly $14 or whatever. Even if they remove the $5, it's possible they still have $4 or $6, so it could still be a benefit for you. Unless they decide to remove ALL of those, which would be a huge change.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly used it for PSN credit so it doesn't affect me that much, but sucks for people using it to stock up on Nintendo or XBox. I actually did double dip Nintendo for 4 months last year for Xenosaga 3, $20 for that game was a steal.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
Ah the good old "let's take away all the reasons people like this thing, now employees you better sell twice as many" routine.

I only used it for Playstation money personally so I already was spending the extra $5.

For those that use it for Xbox I would still check though. Xbox was always unique in that they let you print out any amount on the receipt. You could always do weird numbers like exactly $14 or whatever. Even if they remove the $5, it's possible they still have $4 or $6, so it could still be a benefit for you. Unless they decide to remove ALL of those, which would be a huge change.
I didn't know that about Xbox. I'll need to try $6 next time in-store. Thanks for the tip.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
I mostly used it for PSN credit so it doesn't affect me that much, but sucks for people using it to stock up on Nintendo or XBox. I actually did double dip Nintendo for 4 months last year for Xenosaga 3, $20 for that game was a steal.
I know this is a typo but god I wish there was a reality where I could get Xenosaga 3 on modern systems (or old systems for less than the cost of new systems)

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Damn good run :( I actually accumulated so much xbox credit that I was wanting to start to get some psn cards in 2023 lol. Still an absolute amazing deal to get digital games 50% off though, especially since PS5/Xbox Series titles are $75

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Yes, correct. Still a much better deal to get a $10 code for 50% off than the deals you normally see for eshop credit and what not, but yea, sucks not being able to get free credit every month :(

This shouldn't affect double dipping though, it's not like you need to buy a $5 code to do it

Just got back home from GameStop and was still able to only redeem the $5 for $5 Xbox credit. I'm guessing it hasn't went into effect everywhere yet. Also did the double dip already, so $15 Xbox credit for $5!

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back home from GameStop and was still able to only redeem the $5 for $5 Xbox credit. I'm guessing it hasn't went into effect everywhere yet. Also did the double dip already, so $15 Xbox credit for $5!
Yup it still works rn. Just went and got my wife's $5s on each account for one last free ride lol. If you want it, go get it today folks!

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Fine by me, the money will be spent on there at some point anyways.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I already had more credit than I knew what to do with, it's gonna be real crazy if I'm getting $20/month in-store instead of just $10/month

Would be funny and peak Gamestop if it just.... never went into effect lol

Steam deck changing things for me lately tbh. Been using steam a lot more because of it.

I hate having to buy $20 codes, but oh well, at least I'm using trade credit to buy these. Also was a big help in paying for my Steam Deck lol

Ultimately, as long as we can use the coupon on digital credit, the ride continues, even if one has to make adjustments here and there lol

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
There's a part of me that wants to switch to getting steam cards so I can get a steam deck with a steep discount but I love my psn cards too much.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a part of me that wants to switch to getting steam cards so I can get a steam deck with a steep discount but I love my psn cards too much.

Depends on your situation

Like me, I'm not super into digital to begin with, so I just reached the point where it made sense to save up on Steam for a bit as opposed to only buying eshop/PSN lol

But if you're the type that always has a new game to buy digitally, then sure, you can never have enough credit lol. Even more so now that PS Extra is a thing

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
So $6 in store (or 10) and $10 online?
For those that want to it's still free money.

I used the loop and was down when I forgot. But can't really get mad at them for removing an exploit that is supposed to drive dollars, not lose them.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Ultimately, as long as we can use the coupon on digital credit, the ride continues, even if one has to make adjustments here and there lol
For sure. It's a good deal either way. I imagine this is their alternative to shutting off them working on currency entirely. It's just... very transparent.

So $6 in store (or 10) and $10 online?
For those that want to it's still free money.

I used the loop and was down when I forgot. But can't really get mad at them for removing an exploit that is supposed to drive dollars, not lose them.
Well, hopefully the $6 for Xbox will work in stores still. They haven't said anything about it but I cam see them just cutting everything below $10 if enough people use the $6.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I get for procrastinating. I always went to GS the first of every month to ensure I'd beat the clock if anything like this happened and this is the one month I didn't.

Welp… guess I won't be renewing this year.
It worked fine for me as of last night and the manager at mine had no clue about it yet lol. Might as well swing by one today to see if it still works.
Plus, it's still a good deal even without the free money It just goes from being a GOAT deal to a good one especially if you buy a couple digital games a year. 50% off digital titles is still a pretty big deal especially when these games are running $75+ a pop. Hell, you can get things off the MS store for 50% off with this deal too lol

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I get for procrastinating. I always went to GS the first of every month to ensure I'd beat the clock if anything like this happened and this is the one month I didn't.

Welp… guess I won't be renewing this year.

I would still go and try today, Gamestop is often so slow with these things and people reported it still working as of yesterday

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I am so glad I didn't re-up my Pro membership that just expired. I have been getting the Xbox credit at the register for 2 years now, and have been double dipping (thanks to ERA) for one year.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad I didn't re-up my Pro membership that just expired. I have been getting the Xbox credit at the register for 2 years now, and have been double dipping (thanks to ERA) for one year.

I mean, if you're familiar with double dipping, then it's still well worth it imo

Wait we could have used the $5 off 10 code online all this time? I thought it was in store only?

I have been missing out for the past 2 yrs if so.

I forgot when exactly it started, but you weren't always able to use the monthly coupon on digital credit online

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks, but it's hard to complain when I've made out like a bandit over the course of last year.

I'll ride out my membership buying $10 cards for $5.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Wait we could have used the $5 off 10 code online all this time? I thought it was in store only?

I have been missing out for the past 2 yrs if so.
You could go in store each month with a power up rewards membership and get $5 free dollars worth of Xbox or Eshop credit, then use the same code and get $10 credit for $5 cash hence the double dip with the code.

You just have to remember to either apply the code in your cart or screen shot the codes digits prior to getting your in store amount.

Now you'll still be able to double dip, but it'll be 50% off the double dipping since the free money will be gone. So I could get $20 worth of eshop/Xbox/psn/etc credit for $10 actually dollars which is still a good deal.