• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Went in today not realizing the eShop code policy went into effect because I got it last month. Couldn't use it today so I just walked out. Think it's time to cash in my points for something and never renew again.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Went in today not realizing the eShop code policy went into effect because I got it last month. Couldn't use it today so I just walked out. Think it's time to cash in my points for something and never renew again.

I knew, but I tried this morning anyways just in case because you never know with how shitty their system tends to be

But they already know about the policy and turned me away, so that's that, no longer have a reason to renew this thing...

I should've put out a final reminder on this, but I hope everyone was able to spend their old points before they expired today

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest Monsters came out today and, miraculously, a store near me got it in so I used my reward certificates for that! Will almost certainly be the last time I buy something from GameStop. #tothemoon

Oct 28, 2017
I too can confirm the dream is dead, went in today to buy an Xbox $15 gift card, was going to use my $5 GameStop Pro Reward, he said as of December 1st, you can only use the $5 reward on physical items.

Ill probably never step foot in a GameStop again. It's kinda weird to have the Microsoft Rewards program and the GameStop Pro $5 rewards program both get neutered at nearly the exact same time, almost exactly.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Today I wanted to get Avatar since I saw they had it on sale for $50. Can't find any in stock at any locations near me, and there are at least 10 locations or more within a 30 mile radius of me. No stock on PS5 or Xbox versions. I decided to check Target, who has it at the same price, and they've got it in stock. How can a game store not keep a new release in stock?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Today I wanted to get Avatar since I saw they had it on sale for $50. Can't find any in stock at any locations near me, and there are at least 10 locations or more within a 30 mile radius of me. No stock on PS5 or Xbox versions. I decided to check Target, who has it at the same price, and they've got it in stock. How can a game store not keep a new release in stock?
Gamestop's main market for videogames is used sales.

Physical drying up meant they took a hit, so they pivoted to the crap you see in store now.

And also "don't have it available sorry, should have preordered".

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used my $5 for December on a Pokemon Booster pack. At least I got it free, but anyone have anything else to look at? Sucks I renewed like half a year ago and this happened

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
FYI These monthly rewards are "one and done".

If you use your monthly $5 credit towards the purchase of an item and subsequently return that item, you are credited for the item's purchase amount minus $5, even if the return is done during the same month the credit was awarded and spent, and even if the refund amount is wholly applied towards another valid purchase.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FYI These monthly rewards are "one and done".

If you use your monthly $5 credit towards the purchase of an item and subsequently return that item, you are credited for the item's purchase amount minus $5, even if the return is done during the same month the credit was awarded and spent, and even if the refund amount is wholly applied towards another valid purchase.

Depends on the employee tbh, I've had several occasions where I got a refund and it included the $5 credit. Didn't even matter if I was honest about it or not, I guess it's a pain in the ass to remove it for whatever reason

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Double dipping still works. Just used my coupon in store and then online to help take the sting out of shipping cost

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Double dipping still works. Just used my coupon in store and then online to help take the sting out of shipping cost

Yea every once in a awhile I try to find creative ways to double dip. As for the shipping fee woes, worth noting that if you have a store nearby you can order in-store where the shipping minimum is only $25 I believe

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I used to be pretty regular there, up to even like 2-3 years ago after people have long written them off. Because I sometimes like physical games, occasionally get a deal on something used, or maybe find something that just isn't carried by a big box store.

But I've gone in there twice now over the last 2 years with intention to buy a game- wanting to give them the business instead of Target or whatever, and both times not in stock. We're talking new release games, maybe a week or two after launch. Last one was Dead Space- An EA game, so you'd think it would be pretty well stocked.

But they just asked if I pre-ordered and said they don't order day one stock now beyond whatever few pre-orders they get. And I don't engage with that garbage anymore as they aren't getting my money until a product is delivered. At least if I pre-order digital the day before I can usually preload and play if I want at midnight Thursday night/Friday morning.

But yeah, they just seem to find ways to NOT take my money now- so that's pretty much driven me almost entirely to digital now.

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao I went to trade in some old Pokemon/Zelda games last week.

He rang me up, gave me the total I'd get. Then he says, "can I Zelle you the amount for the games?"

I said sure I'd rather cash than store credit. Cut the middleman right out.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Still missing the $5 off originally, but as far as I can tell, the 5% they've replaced it with seems to be a permanent thing for Pros now?

It appeared, went away for a bit but now even the Pro page mentions that you can get 5% off virtual currency and at least some of their digital games.

Sadly still not relevant unfortunately for me unless I pick up FFXVII since I can get a GPU and O365 Family sub for much cheaper through work.

Can use it for the odd steam or Switch purchase I suppose.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still missing the $5 off originally, but as far as I can tell, the 5% they've replaced it with seems to be a permanent thing for Pros now?

It appeared, went away for a bit but now even the Pro page mentions that you can get 5% off virtual currency and at least some of their digital games.

Sadly still not relevant unfortunately for me unless I pick up FFXVII since I can get a GPU and O365 Family sub for much cheaper through work.

Can use it for the odd steam or Switch purchase I suppose.

Hmm? The $5 monthly coupon is still a thing as well, unless I'm misunderstanding

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Hmm? The $5 monthly coupon is still a thing as well, unless I'm misunderstanding

Oh yea it is most certainly a thing, just for physical stuff now IIRC instead of gift cards, virtual currency ect..

It's just me noticing that the 5% off includes virtual currencies now which I did not notice before if it has been a permanent thing and not just temporary last time I looked at it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea it is most certainly a thing, just for physical stuff now IIRC instead of gift cards, virtual currency ect..

It's just me noticing that the 5% off includes virtual currencies now which I did not notice before if it has been a permanent thing and not just temporary last time I looked at it.

Ah, gotcha

And yea, the 5% off thing has been around for months at this point, so I guess its permanent? I know the $25 off $250 purchase is permanent, but technically it was never confirmed for the 5% off. But I suppose it's looking that way at this point lol

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I too can confirm the dream is dead, went in today to buy an Xbox $15 gift card, was going to use my $5 GameStop Pro Reward, he said as of December 1st, you can only use the $5 reward on physical items.

Ill probably never step foot in a GameStop again. It's kinda weird to have the Microsoft Rewards program and the GameStop Pro $5 rewards program both get neutered at nearly the exact same time, almost exactly.

What happened with Microsoft rewards?

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
Also i recently learned this from Gamestop, originally when you got warranty on your games, you could return them and get the full cash amount back, now they have stopped allowing you to get the money and warranty is pointless to me now

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For whatever it's worth, shipping is now lowered to $7 instead of $11 for orders under the $79 minimum

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Digging that hole deeper and deeper

bIW6Qeb.jpeg

Translation: Basically don't tell them about auto-renewal, let them read or skip the prompts so it is their fault.